Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In the High King's Secret Service  by Fiondil

25: Reunited

When Findis finally allowed Intarion to speak, she and Valandur learned that little Ninquelótë made it safely back across the bridge only a little singed around the edges and the fires were finally out.

“Although they would still be raging if it hadn’t been for the storm,” he told them as they continued walking across the fields toward the distant woods that they would have to traverse to reach the Southern Fiefdoms. “Everything is a soggy mess of ashes. Most of the crops belonging to the Vanyar are destroyed. Your atar was having his agents scour the land and taking an inventory of every field and house that’s been burned, trying to determine the actual extent of the destruction. Luckily, no one died though many were overcome by the smoke and unfortunately farm animals were lost in spite of people’s best efforts.”

“And Nordomas, Tarwalaleon and Ando Tarassëo?” Valandur asked.

“They suffered little hurt,” Intarion replied. “Your idea of back burning saved them.” He dropped his voice and gave a furtive look back to where Fëanáro still brought up the rear. “Apparently one of the farmers who hailed from one of those villages that got burnt out suggested back burning to your brother, but his idea was dismissed out of hand. When Finwë came to Nordomas after Ornendil sent one of his men to him with news of you two missing, we told him that the back burning was your idea, Valandur, and that if it hadn’t been for that all three villages and Lord Nolondur’s vineyards would have been destroyed.”

Valandur grimaced. “And, of course, Prince Fëanáro is even more disposed against me because of it.”

Intarion shrugged. “I would say that it’s more the fact that it was a Vanya who came up with the idea rather than you personally. Finwë wasn’t happy when he learned that his son had dismissed the idea simply because it came from a farmer and not from his own mind.” He looked at Ornendil. “Tell them what you learned, Captain.”

Both Valandur and Findis gave the ellon expectant looks and Ornendil redden slightly under their regard. “I had an opportunity to speak with Captain Herendil, who stayed with the king. He told me that several people apparently mentioned back burning, but when Prince Fëanáro or Prince Ingoldo asked them where they had come up with the idea, no one could say. And it wasn’t that more than one person thought of it, it was that the idea came independently from a farmer, a weaver’s daughter from Tirion, even one of the guardsmen who remained behind to help. And none of them had recourse to speak with one another. They came to either Prince Fëanáro or Lord Ingoldo separately and at different times.”

Valandur looked at Findis and Intarion. “I cannot tell you where I came to the idea of back burning. I remember staring at the fire and the road and knowing that the road was too narrow to act as a barrier to the fire and how could we possibly widen it in time and then the idea of back burning simply came to me."

“Almost as if you were inspired,” Findis said wonderingly.

“Perhaps,” Valandur said. “And the more I think of it, along with Captain Ornendil’s account, I think that the Valar sent their Maiar among us with the idea, inspiring people. When your brother and Intarion’s atar dismissed it from one person, the Maiar sought to inspire other people with the same idea. Only…”

“Only no one in authority listened,” Findis interjected with a frown.

“Except you, melda,” Valandur said with a smile. “You listened and did not dismiss the idea simply because it did not come from you.”

“Why would I do that?” Findis asked in surprise.

“Because unlike some others, Findis, you are open to new ideas,” Intarion answered before Valandur could. “For all that Fëanáro is an intelligent ellon, he is somewhat closed minded. I am sure that, assuming Valandur is correct about the Maiar inspiring people, they tried to inspire your brother, perhaps even my atar, with the idea, but when that failed, they resorted to inspiring those who seemed more open to them.”

“It would have saved time if they had simply appeared and told us,” Ornendil said with a wry grin.

Intarion shrugged. “Perhaps. No doubt the Valar had their reasons for not allowing their Maiar to act directly. At any rate, Finwë was rather scathing toward both Fëanáro and my atar when he realized what they had done, or rather, what they had failed to do.”

“Why did no one go to atar with the idea?” Findis asked. “Surely he would not have dismissed it solely on the source.”

“As to that, I do not know,” Intarion replied. “You recall that Finwë said he would not stay to oversee the firefighting. He came here to see for himself what was happening and what progress had been made against the fire, trusting in your brother and my atar to deal with the matter. I think he was halfway to Tirion when news that you were missing reached him.”

They continued walking in silence. After a bit, Valandur looked at Intarion. “I’m surprised you didn’t come with horses.”

“The Maia who led us to you said that the horses would not make it through the woods, which is why it took us as long as it did to reach you, but fear not! Finwë ordered encampments set up all along the route back. The Maia said he would stay long enough to oversee their placement and guide us back through the woods at the proper time.”

They lapsed into silence then and perhaps another hour or so went by before they came to the first encampment where a single pavilion for Findis’ use was set up. Two of her ladies-in-waiting were there, ready with a bath (courtesy of Tilion) and clean clothes borrowed from the ellith of Nordomas. Findis gave Valandur a guilty look. “They didn’t think to bring fresh clothes for you,” she said.

Valandur smiled. “Don’t worry, my lady. I am sure I will survive until we reach Nordomas. Now go and enjoy your bath. I’ll make do with a quick wash by the fire here.”

Findis went and about an hour later she came out looking fresh. She wore peasant skirts with a blouse heavily smocked and embroidered in bright colors, her hair carefully braided. Valandur smiled at her. “You look quite lovely in that dress, my lady.”

“Thank you,” Findis said shyly.

“Come and eat, Cousin,” Intarion said, gesturing to a camp chair by the fire.

“Where is Fëanáro?” she asked as she sat. Valandur handed her a goblet of wine and a trencher of venison stew.

“Your brother went on,” Intarion said, keeping his expression neutral. “He wished to let the king know you’d been found as quickly as possible.”

“You mean, he wishes to tell Atar about Val and me,” Findis retorted with a scowl.

“And what would he tell him?” Intarion asked, casting a concerned look between her and Valandur. “Other than the fact that we found you… um… kissing, that is.”

“And what of that?” Findis said with a sniff. “We have done nothing wrong. Do you think that Valandur would be so crass as to importune me against my wishes? What ellon would be so bold or stupid?”

“Prince Fëanáro is bound to put things in a darker light, melda,” Valandur said. “He has hated me from the very first.”

“He doesn’t know you well enough to hate you, Valandur,” Intarion said with a grin. “He doesn’t know you at all, which is why he is so hostile to you. And it is not you, personally, it’s every Vanya who crosses his path. He put up with my atar because the situation was too grave not to have another in authority helping him oversee the firefighting, but he barely spoke two words to me the entire time we were making our way to you. Fëanáro resents the Vanyar because of Indis.”

“And you?” Valandur demanded. “What do you think?”

“I think I’m going to have something to eat and then rest for an hour or so before we continue on,” Intarion replied.

“That’s not….”

“I know, Valandur, but I do not wish to discuss it,” Intarion shot back. “I reserve judgment until I know all the facts, but I would caution you both to tread softly and be circumspect. Remember, Valandur, Findis is a princess, and I am sure her atar has plans for her marriage and it does not involve a lowly loremaster.”

“Atar cannot force me to marry another,” Findis retorted, giving them a scowl. “I will marry whom I please. But do not concern yourself with us, Intarion. We have not declared ourselves to one another in that regard. In truth, that kiss you saw was the first time for us both.”

Intarion gave them a disbelieving look but then shook his head and drained his goblet. Before he could leave them, though, Valandur asked him, “And how is the fair elleth?”

Intarion gave him a puzzled look. “What elleth?”

“Why, the fair daughter of Nolondur, of course, you dolt,” Valandur retorted with a snort. “When last I saw you, you were more interested in her than you were in fighting the fire.”

Now Intarion blushed. “She is well,” he said. “She was grateful for our help in saving the vineyards.”

“Oh? Just how grateful?” Valandur couldn’t help asking with a mischievous grin on his face.

Intarion scowled at him. “Grateful enough to award me with some of her atar’s best wines.”

“Ah…” He stole a knowing look at Findis who giggled and then busied herself with finishing her own wine.

“Oh, you two!” Intarion muttered and stalked away.

****

They remained at the camp for a couple more hours and set off again just as Telperion and Laurelin were Mingling with Telperion waxing. Their entourage grew with the addition of those who had been waiting for them, though they left behind the accoutrements of the campsite, for, as Intarion explained, the camps had been set up by Maiar and would be dismantled by them as well.

“Lord Tilion offered the services of his fellow Maiar to that purpose,” Intarion explained. “There is one more camp before we reach the woods.”

“Are the woods truly trackless?” Findis asked.

“Do you think you and I could have found that tree-cave on our own?” Valandur countered.

“The woods here are wide enough and thick enough that we probably would have foundered about for some time before finding these fields if it hadn’t been for a guide,” Intarion told them. “He seemed to find paths that were near invisible to the rest of us.”

And so they traveled, coming to the next encampment many hours later. They did not linger, though, taking just enough time to have something to eat and refresh themselves before continuing on. By now the woods were visible on the horizon and in a couple of hours they had reached them where they found the Maia, Tilion, waiting for them. He gave them a bright smile.

“Ah, there you are,” he said as he leaned on his bow. “Come along then. I am missing the hunt my master has called far to the north and I fain would be there than here.”

No one had anything to say to that, though Valandur rolled his eyes at Intarion, who merely grinned back as they followed the Maia into the woods with Findis striding between them and Ornendil directly behind with everyone else. The woods were indeed trackless and the light under the leaves was dim and greenish, producing disconcerting shadows. Tilion seemed to glow with a silvery hue as they followed him and after what seemed to Valandur to be close to an hour, they came out into brighter light, causing them to blink.

“Findis!”

Valandur looked about and saw Finwë nearly running toward them, his arms outstretched.

“Atto!” Findis cried and ran to him while Intarion and Valandur looked on.

“And now that you are with your people once again I will bid you farewell,” Tilion said and before either Valandur or Intarion could thank him the Maia was gone, leaving behind a clean flowery scent that neither could identify.

Meanwhile, Finwë, after ensuring himself as to his daughter’s well-being, gestured for Valandur and Intarion to join them. Valandur noticed Fëanáro and Ingoldo standing at a distance where others waited with horses, both of them glaring at the small group. Valandur and Intarion gave the king their obeisance.

“I understand we have you to thank for a number of things, Loremaster,” he said.

“As to that, I cannot say, Your Majesty. I am only glad that you are once again reunited with your daughter.”

“Hmm… Modesty is acceptable up to a point, especially from one of your station, Loremaster, but only up to a point.” Finwë countered, giving him a knowing look. Then he turned to Intarion. “Thank you, Nephew.”

Intarion shrugged. “I had naught to do with the rescue, Uncle, except to help escort Findis back.”

“Yes, exactly,” Finwë said, glancing briefly at where his son stood, before turning back to them. “Well, let us not stand about here. I would be on our way back to Tirion.” With that, he led them to where the horses were and in a few minutes all were mounted and making their way across the field. Finwë insisted that both Findis and Valandur ride on either side of him.

“We’ll make our way to Nordomas,” he told them, “but we will not linger. So, tell me, daughter, what adventures you had, and forgive me. I never meant to place you in such danger. I was sure that…”

“That you had neatly gotten rid of me in a safe place away from all the excitement of fighting the fire,” Findis supplied, giving her atar an arch look. Finwë had the grace to look embarrassed.

“I promised your ammë that you would not be in any danger,” he offered as an apology.

“And so, you sent me and Intarion to Nordomas, simply to get us both out of the way,” Findis said, obviously not about to let her atar off the hook, but then she relented, reaching over to pat his knee. “It’s all right, Atto. It’s a good thing you did send us to Nordomas, for if you had not, the fire would have spread even more. As it is, Valandur’s idea of back burning saved three villages that otherwise would have burned to the ground.”

“Not to mention Lord Nolondur’s vineyards,” Intarion chimed in as he rode on Findis’ other side. “The loss of that would have been truly tragic.”

“Indeed,” Finwë said with a short laugh. “Well, as it is, most of the fields belonging to the Vanyarin crown have been destroyed as were several belonging to us.”

“What about the Teleri?” Valandur asked.

“Their fields were untouched by the fire for they lay to the northeast, on the other side of Flower Lake, which stopped the fire from spreading too far in that direction. At any rate, I have my people taking inventory of the damage.”

“And Lord Oromë’s Forests?” Findis asked.

“They appear to be untouched in spite of the fact that the fire spread right to their eaves,” Finwë answered. “Now enough about that. I wish to know what happened to you and this loremaster.”

Findis gave her atar a glare. “The loremaster has a name, Atto, and you had better be nice to him. He saved my life. I was drowned and he brought me back to life.”

Finwë turned to Valandur, shock marring his face. “This is true?”

Valandur nodded. “I found her floating face down in the water. She was not breathing at first until I was able to empty her lungs of water.”

Finwë’s expression became thoughtful and they rode in silence for a while before he spoke again. “Thank you. I will have to think of a suitable reward for you, Loremaster.”

“Atto!” Findis protested, shooting an angry look at her atar.

“I need no reward, Your Majesty,” Valandur interjected quickly. “It is enough that your daughter is safely back where she belongs.”

“Hmph,” Finwë responded, apparently unconvinced, but before either Valandur or Findis could speak, he asked another question. “Why did you not remain by the stream?”

“Because a cat came and insisted that we go with it,” Findis answered with a grin.

“A cat?” Finwë echoed, looking nonplused.

“A very large cat,” she replied, spreading her arms to indicate its size. “Not one that you could safely say no to.”

“But still. A cat?” Finwë protested.

“You forget in whose Forests we were, Your Majesty,” Valandur replied. “That cat did not just happen to saunter by on business of its own, finding us by chance. It was there for a particular purpose: to lead us to shelter. And I have no doubt that the Maia, Tilion, did not just happen by as well. He was sent. I was all set to go look for help after the storm passed when he was simply there. We did not even realize he was a Maia until Prince Fëanáro told us.”

Silence ensued and there was a thoughtful look on Finwë’s face and he remained quiet the rest of the way to Nordomas, which they reached after about an hour. There, Valandur was reunited with Calandil and Minalcar and his other friends, who gathered around him, barraging him with questions.

“Peace, my friends,” he said with a laugh. “I promise to tell you everything, but with your Majesty’s permission, I would like to take some time to bathe and change into cleaner clothes.”

Finwë nodded. “We will stay here for about an hour. You are free to come with us or remain to help with the clean up.”

“What about the trade negotiations?” Valandur asked, casting a glance at Ingoldo, who was studiously ignoring them, speaking with Fëanáro. “Surely we are not abandoning them?”

“At the moment, succoring the Fiefdoms takes priority,” Finwë answered, “but you are correct that other considerations must not be ignored.” He called to Ingoldo. “My brother, by your courtesy, I would have Intarion remain behind to oversee matters here, along with Loremaster Valandur, while the rest of us return to Tirion and continue with the trade negotiations.”

Ingoldo hesitated for a moment, his gaze flitting from Intarion to Valandur, his expression giving nothing away as to what he was thinking. Then he gave Finwë a short bow. “Of course, Brother. Whatever you think best.”

“I would like to remain and help as well, Atto,” Findis said.

Finwë shook his head. “Nay, child. I will not have it. You will return to the city with me. I’m sure your ammë is anxious to see you.”

Findis glowered at him, but Finwë simply turned and spoke to his entourage. “We will set out within the hour. Intarion, you and the loremaster are in charge of clean up.”

Intarion bowed but said nothing. Finwë cast Valandur a look that the ellon found hard to interpret and after a moment’s hesitation, the Vanya bowed in acquiescence. Straightening, he caught Finwë’s satisfied smirk before the king turned away to escort Findis to the inn for refreshments.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List