Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Elf Academy 3: The Enemy Within  by Fiondil

7: The Rest of the Week

Edhellond was all lit up, seemingly with every light in the house on, which was unusual. When Finrod entered, the place felt curiously empty and yet was full of activity. Shaking the snow off his cloak, for it had started to snow as he walked home, he hung it in the front closet. He could hear voices upstairs though he could not make out any words. The usual smell of cooking that would have permeated the place at this hour was missing and it seemed that no one had thought to make dinner. Passing by the open door of the music room, he stopped in shock. The piano was missing.

It took a second to realize that it had not been stolen, but rather moved. It took him another second to realize that the piano must have been Vorondur’s for he could not remember seeing anyone else playing it. The absence of the piano brought home to him in a way that nothing could that changes were coming to Edhellond, and while he rejoiced that Vorondur and Amroth and their respective wives were finding their own way, he was also sad, for Vorondur, he realized, was a calming force among the volatile personalities of the Elves. Finrod realized that he would miss the ellon’s wisdom and humor and deep insight into the motivations of both Elves and Mortals.

He grimaced at that thought, shaking his head in disgust. The ellon was not dead or gone to another country, he was simply moving across town. And Amroth…

The Silvan king was also not dead and he would still be available to help Valandur set up their own intelligence agency along with Alex and Derek and anyone else they could recruit with the proper background. Finrod pushed the negative thoughts from him, realizing that perhaps he was reacting this way because of his conversation with Lord Manwë. He sighed and continued on his way toward the kitchen but was sidetracked by Daeron coming out of the library.

“Hello. You’re back,” the former minstrel of Doriath said with a bright smile. “Loren told us about Nick’s dad. That’s a shame but hopefully he’ll be able to help his mother out. Did you manage all right on your own?”

“Yes, of course I did,” Finrod replied with some exasperation. “Why would you think I would not?”

“Oh, I had every confidence that you would be just fine,” Daeron said. “Others were not so sure.”

Finrod raised an eyebrow. “By others, you mean Glorfindel.”

Daeron nodded. “And if we hadn’t kept him busy with helping with the move, he would’ve been at the store checking up on you. In fact, he would have been calling you every five minutes if I hadn’t conveniently… er… misplaced his phone.” He grinned and held up a hand in which he held a cell phone and Finrod recognized it as belonging to Glorfindel.

Finrod’s eyebrows went up even further and when he caught the glint of mischief in the loremaster’s eyes he gave him a brittle smile. “Well, I thank you for that, at least. I wish everyone would stop treating me as if I were ten or brain damaged. As I told Nicholas, I ran an entire kingdom for over three hundred years. I am not a complete incompetent.”

“Hey, it’s all right,” Daeron assured him, giving him a concerned look. “No one thinks you’re incompetent or brain damaged or a child, but the last month has not been easy on you and we’re all worried.”

“And I appreciate your concern, I do. It is just that…”

“You would like us to get off your back and let you breathe,” Daeron supplied when Finrod hesitated for a second, trying to find a diplomatic way of expressing his feelings. Finrod nodded. “Well, if it makes you feel any better,” Daeron continued, “Ron practically told Loren to stop acting like an obsessive, overbearing mother hen when he was ready to run across town to check up on you after he realized he didn’t have his phone and the rest of us refused to lend him ours.”

Now Finrod felt appalled for some reason and something of his feelings must have been evident for Daeron suddenly took him into his embrace and held him tightly. “It’s all right,” he said softly into Finrod’s ear. “When he realized how ridiculous he was acting, Loren calmed down and apologized.”

“Hey, you okay?”

Finrod stepped out of Daeron’s embrace to see Glorfindel striding down the hall, looking concerned. He forced a smile on his face. “Yes, I am fine. When I saw the piano gone from the music room I felt….” He shook his head, realizing that he could not really lie to his gwador but unsure how to continue. Glorfindel mistook his hesitation and gave him his own hug.

“Yeah, it’ll take some getting used to,” Glorfindel said. “The place suddenly feels empty even though it’s full of people and when others move out eventually, it’ll just get emptier still.” He released his hold on Finrod and gave him a searching look. “So, how was work? Any problems?”

“No. It was not overly busy, and I did not mind the solitude.” Deciding to divert any more questions, he added, “So will there be any dinner?”

“Sorry, we ordered pizza and wings since we were all too busy helping with the move,” Glorfindel replied. “I’m afraid there’s nothing left. I can scramble up some eggs if you like.”

“No, that is fine. The day has been long and I am feeling tired. Perhaps I will just go to bed.” He hated to admit to such weakness, but it was the truth. He was suddenly feeling tired and his shoulder was aching, though he refused to acknowledge the pain; it was a minor annoyance by now.

“But you need something to eat,” Glorfindel protested. “Come on. It doesn’t have to be eggs. I can rustle something else up for you, but you should eat.” He grabbed Finrod’s arm and practically pulled him along with Daeron trailing them. The kitchen was dark and Glorfindel flipped the lights on and went to the refrigerator, opening it up and peering inside, while Finrod and Daeron sat at the breakfast nook. Finrod gave Daeron a resigned look and the ellon smiled back in sympathy.

“Let’s see, there’s some leftover chicken-something-or other or… I know, I’ll make you a hot roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes. How does that sound?”

Finrod just shrugged. “Whatever you wish, gwador.” At this point he really did not care what Glorfindel served him.

“Well, don’t go all gushy on me,” Glorfindel retorted with a sardonic look and Finrod blushed in chagrin.

“Shoulder bothering you?” Daeron suddenly asked, giving him a shrewd look and Glorfindel’s attitude became more solicitous.

“You still in pain?” he asked, now looking worried.

“I think the walk home…” Finrod started to say and both ellyn nodded in understanding.

“Perhaps we should arrange for you to be picked up after work for now,” Daeron suggested.

Glorfindel nodded. “That sounds like a good idea. Frankly, I don’t like the idea of you walking by yourself. Wiseman is a relatively safe town with little crime, but there are people out there who don’t like us or want us around. I don’t like the idea of any of us walking about alone, especially at night.”

“It’s always night, at least for the next few weeks,” Daeron pointed out.

“You know what I mean,” Glorfindel retorted and both Finrod and Daeron nodded. “At any rate, if you don’t object, I’ll arrange for someone to pick you up after work.”

“No, I do not mind,” Finrod said, deciding not to argue and in truth there was some logic to what Glorfindel said. He had to admit, if only to himself, that he was not in top form yet and might not be able to withstand a concerted attack on his person. Better to be safe than sorry.

“Well, now that that’s settled, let me put together your dinner and you can tell us all about your day.”

“I think yours must have been more exciting than mine,” Finrod said with a grin. “Are they all moved in then?”

“Just about,” Daeron answered as Glorfindel fiddled about with the stove. “A few odds and ends still need to be taken over, but essentially we’ve got them moved. Even now they are probably still unpacking boxes and will be doing so for the rest of the night. They promised to have a housewarming party this weekend so we can all see the new place.”

“I still say you should consider finding your own place as well,” Glorfindel stated as he was whipping up some potatoes and heating up some gravy. “Has it been decided if Finda and his gwedyr will live here or move on campus?”

“I have discussed it with Valandur and Laurendil and we have agreed to let them live on campus if they desire. Nielluin however will not, though she wishes to. I do not feel comfortable allowing her that much freedom.”

“She is not a child, Finrod,” Glorfindel said as he brought over a plate piled high with slices of roast beef between two slices of bread and mashed potatoes, all covered with gravy. “You cannot expect her to live by the rules of Eldamar, not when the young women who will be her classmates are living on their own and most of them haven’t reached their majority yet.”

“Yet, I am responsible for her,” Finrod said. “Her parents placed her in my care. If Galadriel ever found out…”

“What? You afraid of your sister?” Glorfindel sneered as he sidled into the bench next to Daeron so he was facing Finrod. “That’s a new one. Well, I’m just warning you that if you insist on treating Nell as if she were ten and not the adult that she is, you’re going to find yourself in a whole heap of trouble, my friend.”

Finrod sighed and closed his eyes, feeling as if events were spinning out of his control. He opened his eyes and glared at Glorfindel. “You just warned me that none of us should be alone and now you are telling me that I should allow my niece to live by herself surrounded by Mortals. At least Finda, Cal and Elennen will be together, but Nielluin will be on her own and that concerns me.”

“What if she weren’t?” Daeron suggested.

“How do you mean?” Glorfindel asked.

“What if she moved in with the three ellyn? There is one dormitory where the rooms are set up as suites with a shared living space. Nell could move in with the ellyn. She will need to share a bedroom with Finda, but that should not be a problem, should it?”

“No, it would not,” Finrod allowed.

“It might be a problem for the Mortals, though,” Glorfindel said with a grin. “However, Darren’s idea has merit. What we could do is have Nell live in the same dormitory as the ellyn, but she would be next door or down the hall and she will be sharing a suite with other females. Yet, Finda can keep an eye on her for you. She won’t be entirely on her own.”

“Can that be arranged, assuming she is amenable to the idea?” Finrod asked.

“There should be no problem,” Daeron assured him. “I will contact Admin in the morning and make arrangements.”

“Thank you,” Finrod said sincerely, “both of you. You have eased my mind considerably.”

“That’s what friends are for,” Glorfindel said. “Now eat up before it goes cold.”

Finrod nodded and for a while the three sat and talked about inconsequential matters while Finrod ate his dinner.

****

Tuesday, around eleven, Daeron called Finrod at the bookstore and assured him that everything had been settled.

“Nell will room with three young Women who all come from Wiseman and are aware of our existence,” the minstrel told him. “She will be two suites down the hall from Finda.”

“Do not the students from Wiseman live at home?”

“Usually, but in this case, these particular students have elected to live on campus. It offers them the illusion of being on their own while still being only a few minutes away from home.”

“Thank you,” Finrod said sincerely. “Do you think Nielluin will accept the arrangements?”

“Oh, I have no doubt about that my friend,” Daeron said. “She will be overjoyed to know that you trust her that much. I have the feeling that she, more than anyone else who came with you from Valinor, has taken to this world like a duck to water.”

“I am afraid you may be correct about that,” Finrod averred. “Ah, I have customers. I will talk with you later.”

“I’ll pick you up at seven as planned,” Daeron said and then the phone went dead and Finrod replaced the receiver on the cradle and turned to greet the new arrivals.

Around one, several young children invaded the shop along with three adults. Finrod just blinked at them, unsure why they were there. One of the Women introduced herself as Mrs. Chambers, who ran the pre-school. “We’re here for story hour,” she explained. “Is Nick about?”

“Oh, sorry. Nicholas was called away yesterday on a family emergency,” Finrod said. “I am afraid he neglected to let you know he would not be here.”

“Oh dear, I hope it’s not too bad,” Mrs. Chambers said.

Finrod explained the circumstances.

“Well, that’s too bad,” the Woman said. “I know how eagerly the children look forward to their time with Nick.”

“There is no reason why I cannot read to the children,” Finrod said and he was not sure if he should feel amused or annoyed at the skeptical looks the three Women gave him. “I assure you I am quite capable of reading. Perhaps one of you could choose an appropriate book while we get the children settled.” He then turned his attention to the children, all staring up at him in curiosity. He smiled and several of them smiled back. “Mr. Nick had to go home so he asked me to help him. I will read you a story if you wish.”

Most of the children nodded their heads and then the next few minutes were somewhat chaotic as the children scrambled to remove coats and find places before the rocking chair where Finrod sat waiting for Mrs. Chambers to find a book for him to read. She pulled a picture book from the shelves and came up, handing it to him.

“This is a favorite of the children, so they will not mind hearing it again,” she told him and he glanced at the title, raising an eyebrow.

“The Hungry Caterpillar?” he asked and some of the children squealed in delight, clapping their hands. Mrs. Chambers just shrugged, giving him a wry look as she stepped away to stand with the other two teachers by the rail. Finrod opened the book and began reading aloud, memories of long ago when he told stories to his own children coming to the fore. He pushed them aside and concentrated on the story, which, in its own way was rather amusing. Certainly the children enjoyed it and at the end they all clapped and a few demanded that he read it again. He looked up at Mrs. Chambers who smiled.

“Nick usually reads a couple of stories to them, since they are so short and we are not due back at the school until two. I can find you another book if you don’t wish to re-read that one.”

Finrod turned to the children. “Instead of reading this story again, why don’t I sing you a story? Would you like that?”

“Sing a story? What kinda story do you sing?” one little boy asked, looking a bit suspicious, and the other children looked equally skeptical.

“Would you like a story about a dragon?” Finrod asked and when the children all nodded, their eyes brightening with anticipation, he closed his eyes for a moment, wishing he had his harp with him. He opened his eyes and began singing in Sindarin the Tale of Turin and the Dragon, a popular story with all his own children, making sure he did not exert his full power in singing so as not to overwhelm the little ones or their teachers and making the tale less dark than the reality, as he had done for his own children.

It was unlikely that any of them understood the words of the song. Even so, the children sat there enthralled by his singing and even the three Women were caught up with the tale, so that when he finally finished, there was not a sound from anyone. The children all blinked as if awakening from a dream.

“That was beautiful,” Mrs. Chambers whispered, speaking for them all.

Finrod smiled, glancing at the wall clock. “And now I see the hour is almost up.”

“Yes, it is,” Mrs. Chambers said more briskly. “Get your coats, children. And what do we say?”

“Thank you,” the children dutifully chimed.

“You are most welcome,” Finrod responded with a smile.

Soon the children were bundled into their coats and being ushered outdoors. Mrs. Chambers was the last to leave. “Thank you, again,” she said. “The children really appreciated it, as did I.”

“It was entirely my pleasure,” Finrod assured her and then he was alone again.

****

The rest of the week went by without any incident. When Finrod and Daeron explained to Nielluin about the housing arrangements they had made on her behalf, she thanked them profusely and then rather unexpectedly burst into tears. It was some time before they could settle her down.

On Thursday, Nick called to see how he was doing and to give him an update on his own situation.

“Dad’s home now and he has an army of parishioners helping him and mom out, so I’m heading back tomorrow. I’ll take over on Saturday, so you don’t have to come in.”

“Thank you.”

“No. Thank you. Any problems?”

“None to speak of. You forgot to warn Mrs. Chambers that you would not be here for story hour with the children on Tuesday.”

“Blast! I forgot all about it. Sorry.”

“Do not concern yourself. I had Mrs. Chambers pick out a book and I read it to them and then sang a tale from my own culture, one that I used to sing to my children when they were little.”

“That must’ve been something. Thanks again. I owe you. I’ll be in Wiseman Friday afternoon. What time do you need to leave? You said something about a dinner.”

“Yes. I was planning to close at five.”

“Well, I’ll be back before then, so I’ll see you when I get there.”

“Safe trip,” Finrod said and then they hung up.

On Friday, Nick came in around three. Finrod was just finishing ringing up a sale. “Welcome back,” he said to the young Man.

“Thanks. How are things going?”

“Quite well.”

“Good. Why don’t you go now? I’ll take over.”

“Are you not tired from your travels?”

“Exhausted, but I’m too keyed up to rest. I’ll work for a bit and then go over to the café and have something to eat. Don’t have anything at home. I’ll have to stop at the Safeway later and do some shopping. Now go. You’ve earned a break and thank you.”

“I might as well stay until five,” Finrod said. “It has been decided that none of us Elves should wander about alone and someone is planning to pick me up at that time.”

“Oh, okay. Well, why don’t I grab some coffee and then you can fill me in?”

Shortly before five, Elladan arrived. “Roy is outside keeping the car warm,” he told him and then he and Finrod were wishing Nick a goodnight.

“I’ll see you Monday and enjoy your dinner party,” Nick said to Finrod in parting.

“Let us hope that we do,” Finrod whispered to Elladan and the younger Elf nodded in agreement as the two headed across the square to where Elrohir waited for them.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List