Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Warrior of Care  by Laikwalâssê

Warrior of care

Chapter 2:  a new day

The Master healer opened the door to the sick room. Last night after her breakdown, he had ordered Eiriniel transferred from her private quarters into the healing wing. Because of her fragile mental state, she had to be watched constantly.

He had managed to catch a few hours of sleep himself. When he walked around the screen used to provide each patient with some privacy he sighed, relieved to see the young elf asleep. Yet he knew it was only a result of the sedative he had administered earlier.

Sensing someone approaching he turned his head and saw Tinár, the head of his apprentices, who acknowledged his Master with a nod. A sad smile came over his face as he looked at the slender body on the bed.

“Her sleep was troubled, despite the sleeping potion. She was only calm when morning approached.”

Elrond only nodded. Quietly he approached the bed and carefully turned back the sheets. After sitting down he placed his hands softly on her swollen belly. He could sense the fea of the new life clearly. The boy was active and before long, would enter this world.

Although satisfied that the child appeared healthy despite the despondent state of his mother; Elrond calmed the spirit down a bit to grant Eiriniel as much rest as possible. Silently he rose and turned to a still waiting Tinár.

“Please fetch me if she awakens or if something unforeseeable happens. I must go. I have to prepare a funeral.”

Tinár grimaced and nodded. He did not envy his Lord for this task. After rearranging the bedding, he cast his eye once more over the sleeping elleth. Since Master Elrond had not commented on the child’s state he felt assured that, at least in this case, all was in order. He only hoped that the elfling would give some stability to the young elleth.

 

………………………………………………

Elrond let his gaze travel over the assembled elves. He had just finished the final speech in the ceremony for Galion´s funeral. After the official part had ended, moments that were both emotional and special had followed.

Galion had been well liked and many of his friends, his superior officers from the training grounds and the patrols had said something in remembrance. Elrond had recognized that even Glorfindel had struggled sometimes to steady his voice while telling some of his memories of Galion.

What had concerned the healer the most however was Eiriniel. Despite his objections she had demanded to be present during the ceremony. In good conscience, he could not have denied her request unless it was physically dangerous for her or her unborn child. He had finally conceded but not without keeping a watchful eye on her throughout the ceremony.

But she was either a master of pretending or she had indeed regained some inner strength to carry her through the event. Elrond doubted this, but she did not falter, not even as all of Galion´s and her friends had paid her their condolences. She neither cried nor showed any outward emotions. This was so unusual that not only the healer was worried about her.

Alariel, one of her closest friends, even contemplated consulting the Master healer. Yet, when she saw Elrond watching Eiriniel intently during the ceremony, she decided against saying anything.

The funeral rites lasted well past . When it was finally over and all the attendants had started to leave, Elrond walked toward Eiriniel, intending to invite her to stay in her rooms in the main house. He had just approached her when she turned and actually smiled at him.

“Lord Elrond, I intend to stay at my cottage tonight,” she said as if it was the only right thing in the world. Frowning, the healer gently grabbed hold of her lower arm before she could turn.

“Eiriniel, please listen to me. I understand your wish but you are emotionally drained. You have to look after yourself and your child. Self-imposed isolation serves no one, least of all yourself.”

He said the words softly, yet with some sternness in his voice to let her know that he would not stand beside her as she consciously endangered her health. However, when he had thought that he had reached her, he was mistaken. With the same false smile as before, she looked at him with her eyes challenging.

“My Lord, that’s exactly what I’m doing. To get my life back under control. I have to look after my child, but this I can only do in my own surroundings without someone constantly hovering around me.”

Without another word Eiriniel turned and walked resolutely over the green in front of the Last Homely House. Elrond´s frown deepened. Had these words come from anyone else they would have sounded reasonable. But he knew they were not, that Eiriniel was betraying herself. However, what options were left open for him? He could hardly order her to stay in the infirmary. Even if he did, what would it achieve?

For the sake of the child he should take these drastic measures, and from his view as a healer it was also warranted, yet still he hesitated. Maybe Eiriniel had found some inner strength to get through this and he was underestimating her?

No. He shook his head slightly. She had never been a very self-assured person. With the pregnancy, she was already in an emotional turmoil. Things would not turn out well without some supervision and guidance.

Just as he began to go after her he felt a light touch on his arm. Alariel looked at him thoughtfully.

“My Lord, I know her. She will not take any advice now. I will look after her. She is not alone. If anything happens I will inform you immediately.”

Elrond inclined his head. He carefully contemplated the options.

“Thank you, Alariel. Even though I’m not content with it, I think that is the best solution for now. Please inform me if anything changes. We must prevent her from slipping into any emotional trauma.”

Alariel nodded gravely. She was well aware of her responsibility and she would not let her friend down. After giving a quick curtsey, she hurried away.

Elrond looked after her until she was out of sight. Lost in his thoughts he was startled as the funeral pyre collapsed and the flames diminished into cooling coals.

The place was now deserted. When he turned and climbed up the steps he caught sight of Glorfindel leaning against the door frame of the open entrance. When he had reached his adviser both elves crossed the threshold together and Glorfindel closed the door against the evening chill.

“Give her some time and space, Elrond. I think she will manage. She has many good friends.”

The healer shook his head slightly.

“I don't doubt that, Glorfindel. But friends cannot replace a mate.”

Adopting the Elf-Lord’s thoughtful expression Glorfindel raised an eyebrow.

The healer was right. Yet, what could they have done otherwise?

To be continued…………………………

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List