Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Warrior of Care  by Laikwalâssê

Warrior of care


Chapter 5:  sorrow and joy

Too long a time had passed for the healer’s comfort. The Elf-lord was now fighting for the life of the female lying on the examination table and he was losing the battle. Every second was bringing that cruel insight clearer. Eiriniel was dead and nothing could change that.

With nearly brutal force, Elrond compressed the ribcage of the ellith again in a quick rhythm, desperately hoping that her heart would resume beating. Yet, as had been the case many times before, it didn’t.

Just as he was readying himself to admit his defeat the child still in the arms of the nurse let out a particularly high pitched cry. Whirling around and without conscious thought Tinár took the child and placed the little boy next to his mother on the bed.

Frowning at this seemingly absurd act the Elf-lord blinked in surprise when Eiriniel´s body suddenly convulsed and her eyelids fluttered. From one second to the next, her heart began beating again and the young elleth took several shuddering breaths.

As a healer nearly all his life Elrond swallowed in disbelief. How was this possible? Had he overseen something; not tried long enough to bring her back?

He quickly her pulse and lingered a second longer just to make sure that he was not falling prey to an illusion.

Eiriniel had her eyes open and was looking in wonder at the tiny infant lying next to her. She tentatively reached out a hand and softly caressed the fluff of fine hair on her son’s head.

Although overjoyed at the change of events, the Elf-lord stood motionless next to the bed puzzling how this could be possible. The ellith had been dead, he had been sure of that. But now, although still pale and weak, Eiriniel seemed to be alright.

“The ways of the Valar are incomprehensible sometimes. Do you not agree?” a soft voice suddenly whispered from next to him.

Elrond turned his head and glared at his fair haired adviser who was already making funny gestures toward the child.

He was too much a realist to believe in miracles, yet something similar must have happened. He knew what he had detected.

Eiriniel had been dead, as simple as that.

Now he recognized that his misplaced anger had come from his worry. He only had to let it go and accept the new circumstances and all would be well.

He made a conscious effort and stepping next to the bed actually smiled at the mother and her child.

As if sensing his inner turmoil Eiriniel looked at her Lord with a gaze that conveyed remorse and begged for forgiveness all at the same time.

The healer only inclined his head and squeezed her arm reassuringly.

A silent mouthed `thank you` was all that was needed to take his tension away. After dismissing his assistants, Elrond quickly examined Eiriniel and her son and was more then pleased with the result considering the circumstances. After even Glorfindel had left the room Elrond handed the baby over to a nurse insisting that Eiriniel rested.

Eiriniel was reluctant to be parted from her child, all thoughts of fading forgotten.

Elrond sat down on the bed and carefully considered his words, yet before he had a chance to speak Eiriniel spoke first.

“My Lord, I do not know how to explain what I was thinking but I’m truly sorry for all the worry I caused you. I hope you can forgive me.”

Elrond took a cold hand between his. “Eiriniel, of course I forgive you. I’m only relieved that you have decided to live for your son. One day you will be glad to have made this decision.”

Eiriniel lowered her eyes. “I already am!” she whispered.

Tenderly Elrond lifted the chin of the slender female. “Eiriniel you have to promise me one thing. If you ever need someone to listen, do not hesitate to come to me. I’m your Lord, yes, but I’m not one who orders, but one who cares.”

Through relieved Eiriniel did still frown. “But, you are a warrior and a great Lord of old. Why would you be interested in the sorrows of someone like me?”

Elrond sighed. “Eiriniel, I am a warrior, but I’m a warrior of care. I’m vitally interested in the worries of all my people. Have I made myself clear?”

Eiriniel sighed and tears glistered in her eyes. “Yes, my Lord, perfectly clear!”

 

End





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List