Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Completion  by Garnet Took

All through the autumn and into the winter, everything was well with the Took family.  Pippin had settled nicely into his role of head of the family and Thain of the Shire.  People were finally having to admit that he really did have a good head on his shoulders and could make very wise decisions quickly.

Diamond was overjoyed to be a mother again.  Now her days were full of seeing to the needs of her children and running the affairs of the Great Smials.  She was proving herself to be efficient and organized.  No one could legitimately complain about the way she handled things.

Little Faramir was growing like a weed and was proving to have his father's inquisitiveness and intelligence.  He was also devoted to his baby sister.  His only disappointment was that she was still too little to play with.

Sapphire was a joy.  She had her mother's good looks and her father's joyous spirit.  She was the envy of all the other mothers of very young children.  Pippin kept the suspicion that she, like him, had the Sight to himself.  Why bring it up until need-be.

Yule was especially joyous that year.  Not only was Pippin's family life returning to what he viewed as normal, but it had been a good year for the Tooks and the Tooklands as a whole.  The harvest had been plentiful and they had plenty to trade and sell as well as enough to see them through until the following autumn.

-----

As autumn slid into winter, Pippin and Diamond began to make preparations to host the biannual visit of the Brandybucks for Yule.

“Our timing was perfect,” Pippin said to his wife as he prepared to write his customary letter of invitation to his cousin.

“How so?” asked Diamond.

“If it were last Yule or next, we’d have had to travel all the way across the Shire with a small infant.”

“It’s been done before,” Diamond reminded him.  Merry and Estella visited for Yule not long after Mindy was born and I recall them visiting with a very young Theo as well.  Babies are sturdier than we adults give them credit for usually.”

“I’ll take your word for it,” he said.  “I’m just glad that this year we get to stay snug at home while someone else does the traveling.

-----

About 10 days after posting his letter to Merry, Pippin received a reply.  The letter stated that the Brandybucks would gladly see in the new year at the Great Smials.  There was also an inquiry from Merry about the state of Pippin and Diamond’s marriage.  It had been Merry who had been forced to issue the judgement that had kept the two together and he was very concerned about the wellbeing of both Pippin and Diamond, but especially his beloved cousin.

Pippin had shared the news of Sapphire’s birth almost immediately, but he had been less than forthcoming about his and Diamond’s relationship.  Now he debated whether or not to send word of their reconciliation or to the questions unanswered till Merry could see for himself.

In the end, Pippin decided to leave the matter as it was.  Seeing them happy could be part of Merry’s Yule and birthday surprises.

-----

Merry, Estella and their four children arrived in the afternoon of Foreyule 30.  Diamond had arranged a quiet dinner for both families to share, or as quiet as any dinner could be with six children between the ages of 3 months and 10 years in attendance.

At first the adults had been subdued.  Merry kept casting hard looks at Diamond and she felt very uncomfortable under his disdainful scrutiny.  While Estella wasn’t sure what the situation was between the other couple, she did not approve of her husband’s behavior and made him aware of it with a kick to his shin under the table.

The looks did not go unnoticed by Pippin and he knew that the air needed to be cleared quickly before looks led to words and words led to misunderstands and hurt.

Pippin cleared his throat and spoke.  “I’m glad we have this chance to talk before the festivities begin tomorrow.  There’s something you both need to know.”  He looked directly at Merry.  “You did the right thing, Merry, when you decreed we stay together.  We needed time and space to think but we also needed to be together to notice the things about each other we had either never noticed before or had begun to take for granted.  As the last year has passed, we’ve rediscovered ourselves and each other and we’ve decided we’re better and stronger together than we ever could be apart.  We have both come to see that we need each other to feel complete and we are blessed to have our beautiful children”

Merry couldn’t quite let his skepticism and mistrust go.  He looked at Diamond.  “Does he speak for you as well as for himself?” he asked.  “I will forever be looking out for Pippin’s best interests and, if you are not being totally honest with him, I need to know now.”

Diamond looked Merry directly in the eye.  “Yes, he does,” she answered.  “I have been able to see what others see in my husband and I know now, more than ever, that I am truly blessed to be his wife.”

Merry said nothing and Diamond knew that she had better get used to his observation of her because it would continue for quite some time.  She was not worried though because she knew that her heart really did belong to Peregrin Took.






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List