Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Completion  by Garnet Took

15

As soon as Pippin and Diamond returned home, they were thrown into the activities leading up to the harvest celebration.

A letter had arrived from Long Cleeve stating that the North-Tooks would arrive in time for the celebration and they would be bringing two witnesses to sign the adoption documents.

“Regi,” said Pippin after reading the letter, “I need you to send a letter to Mayor Gamgee and the Master of Buckland requesting their presence at the formalization of the adoption of Bandobras and Ruby Took.

-----

As happens so often, Pippin’s letter to Sam passed Sam’s announcement of the birth of his latest child in the post.

-----

Pippin looked with mixed emotions at the missive in his hand.

“Regi,” he sighed, looking forlornly at his assistant, “could you please find an appropriate gift to send to congratulate the Mayor and Mistress Rose on the birth of their latest daughter?”

“I thought you and Diamond always chose the gifts for such occasions.”

“We usually do, but after this long, and this many children, I don’t think anyone even notices anymore.”

Pippin laid the letter on his desk and rubbed gently at his temples.  “Now, I’ve got to find a seventh witness for the adoption.  There’s no way Sam will be leaving Hobbiton any time soon.”

-----

Pippin divided his time between meeting with the lawyers about the adoption paperwork and helping organize and supervise the harvest as it progressed.

By mid Winterfilth the fields were nearly empty and the orchards had been almost completely picked clean.

“Another week should do it,” said Toby Greenhill, the representative of the tenant farmers.  “We’ve got the portion that is the Thain’s due already packed away.  Most of what we’re doin’ now is gathering what will be our own to see us through.”

“You’ve done well, Toby,” said Pippin as he looked out from the hill on which they stood.  “I’ll see to it that you get a bonus for all your efforts.”

“Ah, that’s not necessary, sir,” answered Toby.  “I’m just glad that there was plenty and to spare this year.  I never want to see another lean year like we had during the Troubles.”

“From your lips to the Valars’ ears,” said Pippin.

Toby just looked curiously at the Thain and shook his head.  Sometimes that one said the oddest things.

-----

Three days before the end of the month, Diamond’s parents arrived.  The adoption was to be finalized on the thirtieth and the harvest feast and dance was set for that evening.

-----

Diamond had worked all morning to have all four children looking presentable for their grandparents’ arrival.

The lads complained constantly that their clothes were too tight or that they couldn’t play in them.

“Everything fits you properly and you know it,” Diamond chided them.  “As soon as we greet your grands, I’ll let you change.  I won’t even make you dress nice for the feast.  Thankfully for you, the harvest fest is not a formal affair.”

“That’s good,” said Faramir as he stuck a finger down his collar and slid it around, “because I’m sure this shirt is giving me a rash.”

“You’re as bad as your ada,” Diamond sighed.  “Now, try to stay neat while I deal with your sisters, please.”

-----

As the North-Took carriage rolled up in the courtyard of the Great Smials, The Thain and his family stepped forward to greet their guests.

One of the grooms opened the carriage door and handed Opal down and then made sure that Olangard was safely standing on firm ground.  He then closed and latched the door and began preparing the carriage for storage and the ponies for their rest.

“Welcome to the Great Smials,” said Pippin as he, Diamond and the children came up to the elder North-Tooks.  “We’ll have your luggage sent directly to your guest rooms while you’re spending some time with your grandchildren.”

“Hello, Grandda and Grandma,” chorused the three older children.  Sapphire just looked at them from her mother’s arms with a thoughtful finger stuck in her mouth.

“Oh my, all of you have grown just in the last few months,” exclaimed Opal.

“Why don’t you come inside, Mum and Da,” said Diamond.  “You’ll be more comfortable visiting with the children in our sitting room than out here.”

-----

The rest of the day was spent enjoying the company of the children and the hospitality of the Great Smials.

-----

As the little ones were preparing for bed, they began to beg for a story.

“Ada, you really must finish the story about you first days in Rivendell,” said Bandy.  “I know Faramir has heard it before but it’s still all new to me.”

“All right,” Pippin agreed without much hesitation.  “Tell your nana and the lasses goodnight and I’ll see you two lads to bed with a short story.  A short one, mind you.”

-----

The children were asleep and the adults were enjoying some quiet talk: Pippin and his father-in-law with mugs of ale and Diamond and her mum with tea.

“What were those names the lads used for you?” asked Olangard.  “I’ve never heard anything like them in the Shire before.”

“And you’re not likely to,” answered Pippin.  “Those are the elvish form of mum and da.  There is a more formal form of address for parents but we don’t need that, at least not here.  If we ever get back to Minas Tirith, we may have to teach them the formal address.”

“Why do they call you that?” asked Opal.  “Faramir didn’t call you by those names when you were up North for the funeral.”

Pippin studied the contents of his mug for several seconds and then put it down.  As he answered his mother-in-law’s question, he fumbled out his pipe, filled and lit it and took a calming puff on it.

“We had a small issue soon after Bandy and Ruby arrived.  One morning Ruby started using the word mum and Bandy was upset that she was calling Diamond by that name.  He felt that that name belonged to Jade as their ‘real’ mum.

“He and I had a long talk and agreed that he could find names for us that showed we were his and Ruby’s second mum and da.

“For a long time, I thought he’d forgot about it but at the Free Fair he announced that Elanor, Mayor Sam’s daughter, had helped solve the dilemma.  No one around here uses the elvish familial names so it was something that no one else could claim.  Both lads thought the idea was a grand one and so we became their ada and nana.”

“It just seems odd hearing elvish words out of the mouths of hobbit babes,” sighed Opal.

“Oh, wait till they’re older,” Diamond chuckled.  “Pippin can swear in at least five different languages and I know the lads won’t miss any opportunity to pick up those words.”

Olangard looked sideways at the Thain while his wife just looked scandalized. 

-----

Early on the morning of the harvest festival, a lone rider from Buckland arrived.  It was the Master himself and he was quickly shown into the Thain’s office.

“I can’t stay,” Merry said, taking a seat in front of the desk.  “I just wanted to be here so that I could witness the adoption.”

“Regi,” said Pippin, “could you see about having a pot of tea sent in.  It’s very chilly outside this morning and I think the Master, as well as myself, could use a bracing cup.”  Having said this, Pippin looked back at his cousin.  “I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this.”

“I know you’d hoped to have both Sam and I as witnesses and sense it appears he won’t be able to come, I couldn’t let you down.  And, as much as I’d love to stay and enjoy the feast, I have my own celebration to attend.  I don’t think the Brandybucks would be too happy if their leader spent this time away from them.”

Pippin gave a little laugh.  “I don’t think either family is particularly happy when either of us leaves.  I think they believe we will slip our leashes and head for the Southlands as fast as our furry feet will carry us.”

“I’m not altogether sure they are totally wrong in that belief,” answered Merry, “especially concerning you.”

Pippin shook his head.  “No,” he said, “as much as parts of me wish I could go, my head, and my heart, are here right now.  I’m not entirely sure that it will always be so though.”

“Now really is what matters,” said Merry.

-----

Only a few minutes before the parties involved were to gather in the Thain’s office for the signing of the adoption papers, there was a commotion in the courtyard.

When Pippin saw who the new arrival was, he ran forward and engulfed the shorter hobbit in a bear hug.  “Sam!  You made it after all!”

“Yes, I made it,” answered the Mayor, pushing his friend away a bit and trying to catch his breath.  “Rosie convinced me that I should come.  The babe is over a month old now and my Rose is a dab hand at dealing with bairns now.  Plus Elanor is old enough to be a help and not a hinderance now.”

“Well, you’re only just in time,” Pippin said as he led Sam to where the others were gathered.

-----

Since Pippin could not serve the part of both the adoptive parent and the executor of the paperwork, Merry had agreed to handle the formalities.

All parties involved gathered in the Thain’s office.  

Merry cleared his throat and silence fell.

“We are gathered here to witness the adoption of Bandobras and Ruby of the North-Tooks into the family of Thain Peregrin and Mistress Diamond of the Tooks of Great Smials.  It is the wish of the grandparents of these chidden that they live the remainder of their lives as the son and daughter of the Thain.  This wish does not disagree with any wishes expressed by the children’s parents prior to their deaths.

“Be it known that no payments or promises of any future payments have been exchanged in the process of this adoption.  Peregrin and Diamond agree to become the main source of comfort, care and provision for both Bandobras and Ruby until they reach their majority.

“Is there anyone known to any here who may have sound reason to object to this adoption?”

Fortunately, the room remained silent.

Merry continued.  “Here before me, I have three copies of the certificate of adoption for both children.  One copy will go to the head of the North-Tooks to be kept in their family records.  One copy will remain here at Great Smials with the Thain to be filed with the records of this branch of the Took family.  The final copy will be sent to Michel Delving to become a part of the records of the Shire.  I will ask that Peregrin and Diamond sign each copy and then each witness will add his signature in red ink.”

The witnesses were Olangard North-Took, Mayor Samwise Gamgee, Meriadoc Brandybuck the Master of Buckland, Elmolard Oatley of Long Cleeve, Ferdibrand Took, Everard Took and Oberon Goodbody.  This last was the husband of Pippins sister Pervinca.

Once the ink was on the pages, Reginard broke the seal on a bottle of Buckland’s best brandy.  He then poured a glass for all the adults present.  He also poured cups of cider for the three children present.

When everyone had a drink in hand. Regi made a toast.  “To the Thain’s family.  May they ever be blessed and ever be happy.”

Everyone drank and, with that, the ceremony was over.

-----

All present were eager to congratulate Pippin and Diamond but they had to keep things brief.  The harvest feast was going to start in only a few hours.  Diamond gave quick kisses to her three little ones and her beloved husband.  “I’ll be back before dinner.  Oh, and should I have places set at the head table for Sam and Merry?”

Both shook their heads.  “I’ve got to get back to Rosie,” said Sam.

“And I have a harvest festival to attend of my own back home,” added Merry.  “In fact, if I leave now, I should get there with just enough time to compose my speech.”

“Very well,” said Diamond.  With that, she was gone to see to the last minute details.

-----

Pippin saw the children to the nursery and then walked with Merry and Sam to the stables.

“Safe journey,” he said to Sam.  “Thanks for making the extra effort to be here. I really am grateful.”

“Thank Rosie the next time you see her.  Without her telling me I should come, I’d have not left her yet.”

“I’ll keep that in mind next we meet,” answered Pippin.

“I think I’ll check on how the marking out of where the new road will be is going on the way,” added the Mayor.

“Write me and let me know,” said the Thain.

By this time, Merry was mounted and walking his pony across the courtyard.

“Will we see you at Yule?” he asked as he drew near to where Pippin was standing.

“I don’t think I could get out of it, even if I wanted to, which I don’t.  Faramir and Brandobras haven’t forgot that you still have more riding lessons for them.  They’re counting down the weeks.  The only two things that could stop us would be illness or a bad snow.”

“Let’s not even think of those things,” said Merry.  “We’ll plan then to see all of you, and anyone else you want to bring along, on Foreyule twenty-ninth.”

“Yes,” Pippin agreed, “And we’ll stay till we can celebrate your birthday.”

“On that note, I’m off.”  With that, he gave his pony a nudge and they were gone.  Soon Pippin saw them galloping across the fields to shorten the trip home.

-----

That evening, the Tooks held their harvest feast and dance in large pavilion set up on one of the harvested fields.  The food was abundant, and most of from local farms.  Lamb and mutton were the chief meats on off, though there were others.  Fruits both raw and cooked in every conceivable way were also plentiful as well as good, fresh vegetables and, of course, several mushroom dishes.

After the eating came the dancing.  This was not a formal ball.  This was a dance of pure celebration and thanksgiving.  The slow and stately dances were put away for this night.  Tonight was for the Springlering and reels and all the fun group dances.  That’s not to say that there weren’t dances for couples too but they were not as common on this night as they would be in a couple of months at Yule.

-----

Pippin and Diamond had got one of the nursemaids to serve as a minder this night for little Sapphire and they had agreed to let the other three children stay up and attend the feast and dance until they each grew tired and wanted to go to bed.  

It didn’t take long for Ruby to decide that it was time for sleep.  She climbed into her nana’s lap and snuggled close.  Soon her eyes were closed and she appeared to be dreaming happily.

Pippin gently took her from Diamond and carried her into the Smials.

“I doubt that it will too much longer until the other two join her,” he told the minder as he headed back out to the party.

-----

The lads surprised their parents by lasting longer than anyone thought.  Finally, though, the skipping, jumping, spinning and twirling caught up with them too.

They both walked up to their parents yawning.  

“Is it bedtime for the big lads?” asked Pippin.

Both of them could only nod.

“I’ll take them in,” Diamond offered.  “People are going to be starting to leave soon and they’ll all be wanting to say something to The Took,”

“They alway do,” laughed Pippin.  “Just don’t forget to come back.  You know they always play a couple of slower songs right before everything ends.  I want at least one dance with my wife.”

Diamond looked like she was about to say something rather interesting, and hen she looked at her sons and seemed to think better of it.  “I’ll be back in twinkling.” she promised.

-----

Most of the guests had left.  Those that remained were either the ones who stayed to the bitter end of any party or those who couldn’t leave on their own due to an overabundance of harvest cheer.

Pippin was looking around in hopes of spotting his beloved.  She should have been back by now.  He sighed and drained the last drops of a particularly good Tookland lager from his mug.  He had just set the mug on the table and risen to begin the walk back to the Smials when he felt a light touch on his arm.

“Looking for me?” she asked.

“I’d about given up,” he answered.

“Never do that, my dear,” she said.  “I just wanted to make sure things were ready for a second dance I have in mind to do with you tonight.”

The look on Pippin’s face became anything but refined and genteel and that look was matched by the smoldering he saw in his wife’s eyes.

“Maybe we should just skip this first dance and get right to the second,” he suggested.

“Maybe we should,” she agreed.

-----

They barely managed to contain themselves as sent the young minder off to her home and checked one last time on their children.  As soon as these things were accomplished, they went straight to their bedroom.

-----

This night was not for the gentle love of the long-married, upper crust.  This night was for passion; full fiery kisses, grasping hands and soul-deep release.  Long into the night they loved and cared not one bit who may have been aware of it.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List