Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Completion  by Garnet Took

16

Once the harvest festival was over, the last of the winter crops were planted and preparations were made for the cold months when no one lingered outside for longer than was needed.

Pippin’s days were filled with planning for the next Spring’s planting and recording the amounts of grain, vegetables, fruit and cured meats  the Tooks had harvested and stored against less bountiful times.  He also heard the weekly cases for judgement and planned and helped with any repairs and improvements that could be made to the large family delving during the winter months.

He spent his evenings surrounded by his growing family.  The lads were shooting up like weeds and the lasses were gaining new skills and, in Ruby’s case, new words every day.  The three older ones looked forward to nightly stories from their ada about the adventures of the four brave, hobbit Travelers.

-----

At the beginning of Foreyule, Pippin and Diamond began planning for both their trip to Buckland for Yule and the celebration that would take place at the Great Smials while they were gone.

Diamond had enlisted the assistance of Pearl and Pervinca to help manage things while she was gone.  They had been helping their mum for years before Diamond even came to be a part of the family.

“Don’t worry about a thing, Di,” Pearl assured her.  “We’ve got everything under control.  Regi will fill Pippin’s role for the celebrations and we will see to it that there is plenty of food and drink and that everyone, family and servant alike, gets their Yule gifts.”

“I appreciate everything,” said Diamond.  “I know this isn’t the first year that we’ve been away at Yule since Pippin became the Took, but it seems to be more difficult for me to step back and let those who are even more experienced than I handle things.”

“Go to Buckland and have a good time,” Vinca said.  

-----

On the morning of Foreyule 28th, Pippin, Diamond and all four children loaded up the traveling cases, climbed aboard the Thain’s best carriage and headed out on the two-day trip to Buckland.

The lads were so excited.  They were not only looking forward to seeing their cousins but to also continuing their riding lessons with Uncle Merry.

The lasses were quieter.  Neither one had been to Buckland before and were really too young to care that much about it.  Ruby did, however, become interested when her brothers started describing the food at the Yule feast and the candy that the Yule Dwarf often left for young hobbits.

Sapphire was still content to snuggle warmly with one or the other of her parents.

-----

The adults were relieved when they saw the bulk of Buck Hill and the many lighted window of Brandy Hall within it.  The children were getting restless as the trip dragged on for what they viewed as forever.

Merry, Estella and their four were at the door to greet their esteemed guests.

As soon as the carriage door was opened, Faramir and Brandobras tumbled out and ran to greet their cousins.

“So, how long are you staying?” asked Merry over the noise of the children.

“I figured, if the weather holds, we’ll stay about a week.  I know the lads have been looking forward to more riding lessons and I’d hate to deprive them of that.”

“And if the weather doesn’t hold?”

Pippin laughed.  “Then you may be stuck with us until the next thaw.”

Merry threw an arm around Pippin’s shoulders as he led them into the Hall.  “I can think of worse hobbits to be snowbound with.”

-----

“Who wants to go on an adventure?” Merry asked as the Tooks and Brandybucks shared breakfast on First Yule.

There was a chorus of “Me!”from the gathered children and one adult.

“I was going to include you, Pippin, no matter what.  I may need your help.”

“So, what’s your plan?” asked the Thain.

“I purpose that we take Perry, Faramir, Wenny and Bandobras out to find our Yule log.”

“Will be riding?” asked Faramir.

“Yes,” answered Merry.  “I can see how much of what I’ve taught you you actually remember.”

“If we’re riding,” asked Perry, “how are we going to get the log back to the Hall?”

“We’ll take a draft pony with us and use him to drag it back.”

The children all nodded, trying to appear mature and like they approved this approach to the situation.

“Anyone going, go bundle up and meet us in the stable,” said Merry.

-----

Merry inspected the children’s work and advised them on things they needed to fix in the saddling of their ponies.

“Want to check mine too?” asked Pippin.

“Maybe I should,” replied Merry.  “With the history you’ve had of riding accidents it might be in all our interests if someone double-checked you.”

“You may be the best rider I know but you’re not perfect.  I can remember a few mishaps of your own.”

True,” agreed Merry, “but these four don’t need to hear about them.”

Overhearing the conversation between their fathers, all the children in question could do was look between adults and each other and shrug and shake their heads.

-----

By the time they got back to Brandy Hall with the Yule log, everyone was cold and ready for something warm to drink.  They were very happy to be greeted with hot tea and biscuits.

-----

The Yule festivities were over and everyone had retired to try to get a bit of sleep before the large breakfast to celebrate the first morning of the year.  

“It was a lovely evening,” Diamond said as she sat brushing her hair.

“Yes, it was,” Pippin agreed.  He was actually neatly hanging his party clothes in the wardrobe instead of haphazardly throwing them on a chair.

His wife turned to look at him.

“Turning over a new leaf in this new year?” she asked.

He looked startled.  “Huh?”  Then he looked to where her gaze had fallen.  “Oh, this?” he said.  “I just figured it was easier to go ahead and do it than to have you look at me the way you look at the lads when they leave their things lying around.”

“I don’t do that,” Diamond defended herself with a smile.

“Oh, but you do,” Pippin continued to tease her.  “You have a look that would put even a Baggins to shame.  You were never a victim of one of old Bilbo’s stares of disapproval, still less one of Frodo’s.  It was a look that would make you want to confess even wrongdoing you weren’t even a part of.”

“I can’t imagine you caving in to even a look like that,” said Diamond.  “You never come clean about your misdeeds, even the recent ones like putting salt in sugar bowl for the last matrons’ tea.”

“You think that was me?” he asked, all innocense.

“I know it was.  The children were in the nursery and you were the only person to be unsupervised around that tea trolly.”

“Well, wasn’t it worth it to see the look Lavender Bracegirdle’s face?  I know how much you enjoy her company.”

Diamond burst into laughter.  “Yes, it was worth it, and I don’t believe I just got a confession out of you.”

“I confessed nothing,” said Pippin with a feigned look and sound of superiority.  “I merely said that it was worth seeing that reaction.”

“Oh, you’ll never admit it outright but I’m taking that as admission of guilt.”

“Have it your way.”

Pippin turned back the covers on the bed they always slept in while visiting Brandy Hall.  “Why don’t you come over here so that I can confess something else to you?”

“Maybe I’ll just do that,” Diamond agreed, getting up from the dressing table and slowly walking across the floor.

Pippin noticed that she was wearing one of the gowns she’d gotten the last time they had visited the King.  While seeing one of those gowns always reminded him of what he’d nearly lost, it also reminded him of what they had now found.  He smiled to think that he was so blessed to have not only won the love of his life but have won her back from misery and loss.

His smile became something less sweet and something more seductive as his wife drew closer to him.

-----

“Now that’s something I do a lot more in the new year,” sighed Diamond.

“Mmm, me too,” Pippin agreed sleepily.

"Guess we should get a little sleep before breakfast,” she commented. 

Pippin never heard his wife’s words, he was already sleeping contentedly.

-----

The festivities of Second Yule were just as lavish as those of the First had been even if they were not as boisterous.  Lack of sleep and the occasional hangover tended to quiet people a bit, even if it didn’t dull the appetite.  

-----

The first day of Afteryule saw the Master celebrating his 57th birthday.

“While it’s not a party of special magnificence nor an age of special significance, I am please that all of you could attend this evening,” said Merry to open his birthday speech.

“I’ll keep this short since you all would much rather be opening your gifts from me and enjoying that lovely cake my wife made than listening to me ramble on.  I just want to thank you all for being a part of my life for these many years and long into the future.”

-----

The trip home for the Tooks wasn’t as exciting as the trip out had been, at least for the children.  It was a chilly time of year and the three older ones slept huddled together like a litter of puppies for most of the trip.

Pippin and Diamond were both glad to make it home.  Diamond wanted to hear from her sisters-in-law how the Yule festivities had gone in her absence and Pippin was eager to see what new items needed his attention as Thain.

The first thing that caught his eye when he entered his office was the official dispatch case from the King that lay on his desk.

When he emptied it, one missive stood out.  It was addressed not to Thain Peregrin of the Shire but to Sir Peregrin, Knight and Captain of Gondor.

Carefully, he opened the message and began to read.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List