Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Ruin  by Laikwalâssê

Ruin

Chapter 10:  slow progress

Elrond looked up when someone entered his study. Glorfindel inclined his head briefly before he hastened toward his desk.

With a raised eyebrow, the healer’s eyes followed his counsellor. Glorfindel opened the top drawer of his desk and before he could retrieve the required item, Elrond knew what item this would be. The same thing Glorfindel was getting out nearly every day: The big tome about the genealogies of old Middle- earth families.

Elrond sighed.

His seneschal, however, ignoring his Lord’s expression of displeasure, as he often did of late, grabbed the heavy book in a strong grip, and left the study as quickly as he had come.

Elrond leaned back in his high backed chair and thought back to the second awakening of the woman he had allowed to be brought into his house.

Less than two weeks ago, Elrond had just emerged from his sleeping chamber to begin the day early. Heavy rain-clouds in the sky promised a dreary day just right for paper work, which was miraculously never diminishing on his desk.

When he had crossed the door of the healing wing, he raised an eyebrow when he heard soft spoken voices. Nothing unusual, but so early in the morning? Only the healer on duty for the night should be at his post and the patients still sleeping.

Thanks to the Valar, only two patients resided here – a Dúnedain ranger caught in a rockslide and Baranor, his smith, having sustained a bad burn yesterday while cleaning the cauldron and …..

……..of course Elvëa.

 

Elrond sighed – Glorfindel of course, who other would be in the healing wing at this hour?

Then however, the healer stopped abruptly when he listened closer and heard not only Glorfindel speak but also an answering voice in return – a female voice!

His frown increasing, Elrond slipped through the slightly ajar door, not announcing his presence as yet. The first room branching from the main corridor had become Elvëa’s home to give the healers quick access.

As expected, Glorfindel was perched on the bedside with his back to the door. What fascinated the master healer however, was that Elvëa was also sitting upright and obviously interacting with the warrior.

Elrond could not believe his eyes. The first wakening of the mysterious woman had not promised much. She had not been really awake, but disorientated and hysterical. All understandable in his healer’s understanding and so Elrond had never had much hope for her to find a way out of her misery.

Had he been greatly mistaken? It was already a miracle that she could sit upright, but to speak and no less answer questions was unbelievable.

His curiosity greater than his discretion, Elrond walked into the room to announce his presence. Glorfindel turned his head and looked at him with an expression in his eyes Elrond could not place. The warrior was neither surprised, nor angry, nor…..

“Elrond, may I introduce Elvëa to you?” the warrior simply said while rising and looking towards the bed.

“Elvëa, this is Elrond son of Eärendil, the Lord of this valley.”

Elrond had not expected a reply in any case and was all the more surprised when the woman looked up as if really comprehending what the warrior had said.

However, she did not say a word, only inclining her head in his direction. Again Elrond was not sure if this was a conscious act.

Elrond narrowed his eyes. He could not place this look. He had clearly heard her speak a few minutes before. Why was she mute now? Was he intimidating her? He doubted that.

To not let the awkward situation deteriorate, Elrond inclined his head in return.

“I welcome you in my house, Elvëa. I’m glad you are doing better.”

Glorfindel furrowed a brow having caught the strained undertone in his Lord’s voice.

Elrond had to blink. What had he expected? When he looked at the woman, he shuddered inwardly. She still looked like a corpse. Her head a skull with deep sunken eyes. Still her long golden hair contrasted starkly to her otherwise emaciated appearance.

Even if her skin had gained a little more colour, it still looked grey and unhealthy.

She must have been a beauty once and Elrond had enough imagination to picture a beautiful woman of noble appearance – tall, regal, lively.

Now she could barely sit only remain upright helped by Glorfindel´s steadying hand. She could not move a hand or a toe. Her sinews shrunken to a degree where the normal function of walking was no longer possible. She must be in extreme pain when only moving her lips, which were no more than a bloodless line.

He could still not believe that she had spoken a few minutes before, and yet he had heard her answer. Now her look was forlorn as if she could not comprehend her surroundings. Was Glorfindel the only fixed point she reacted to?

Seeing that nothing would come out of staring at each other, Elrond cleared his throat.

“Glorfindel, a word?” he said softly as not to disturb the woman. Her eyes were still darting around wildly as if finding nothing to fix upon.

Slowly Glorfindel lessened the support of his hand and Elvëa sank back into the pillow. Her face contorted in pain and her breath hitched. The warrior caressed her face tenderly until she closed her eyes with a sigh.

Elrond furrowed his brow. Would this ever get better? It was not his nature to let someone suffer, but at this case, his power was limited. Not that he had poured healing power uncounted times into the haggard body with less to no effect at least to his eyes.

Even if lying flat now, her whole posture looked cramped and tense. No muscle and sinew allowing her to relax.

The healer turned abruptly startling Glorfindel and implying that he should follow.

The Half-elf had already reached the secluded garden opening up in front of the infirmary when Glorfindel joined him there.

“Elrond, I know what you want to say….” the warrior begun but stopped when the healer raised his hand.

“You do not,” Elrond retorted with a clipped tone. Glorfindel raised an eyebrow, knowing that further arguing would only raise the ire of his lord more. He did not know what had angered the healer, but his posture told as much. Glorfindel had been happy to hear the first coherent spoken words from Elvëa but his joy had now evaporated.

Elrond turned around fully.

“Glorfindel we have to come to a decision. We will leave these shores soon and I’m not sure how we will include Elvëa in this endeavour. I doubt she can even endure the journey toward the havens…..”

“We will not come with you,” Glorfindel stated softly but determinedly.

The healer closed his mouth audibly. He knew, although half-elven that his ears had not betrayed him, yet the incredulity of the warrior´s statement shocked him into silence.

For years, he had been planning to leave Imladris and sail into the West and it was always without question that Glorfindel would accompany him. Now all his carefully made plans crumbled.

Half a year ago, Elrond had received a similar blow when his sons had declared that they would stay in Middle Earth until Aragorn had consolidated his position and as long as Arwen would need to settle into her new position as a Queen of Men.

With a heavy heart, Elrond had accepted this decision, knowing that he could not change his sons’ minds anyway. On the other hand, he was glad not to leave Arwen behind bereft of her whole family at once. He knew that Celebrían would be devastated not to see any of her children, yet it would be only temporary.

Glorfindel´s coming along was clear without question and only in knowing his long time guardian would accompany him would make the bittersweet departure bearable.

But now even this foundation was shattered. Glorfindel would stay with Elvëa in Middle Earth until…….

….until when?

She had recovered? She had died?

A bitter laugh was escaping his throat before he could hold it back.

It was the destiny of all elves to leave for the Blessed Realm sooner or later, and now the time has come. The war to destroy Sauron was over, the people of Middle Earth again freed and peace restored. Their purpose to walk on these shores had been fulfilled. No need to linger, yet there was…….. Elvëa.

Elrond almost wished they had never opened that cell in the Istari´s tower and rescued her.

A heavy hand on his shoulder ended these shameful thoughts, but a look in his friend’s face told the healer that Glorfindel had known anyway.

“Elrond, I will stay with her, no matter what. Maybe when she has recovered I will follow, but now she needs me and I will not let her down a second time.”

Elrond took a deep breath in slowly. He knew that Glorfindel´s mind was set and nothing would change that. What kind of life would they live? Elvëa would never transform into the woman Glorfindel now longed for, Elrond was sure of that.

Even if she could make some more steps toward healing, she would always remain a shadow of her former self, a broken and devastated soul. Yet arguing with the warrior would lead into nothing. Glorfindel would not hear anything of that.

So Elrond turned, accepting this decision. What other option was left to him? He would again concentrate his thoughts on the impending departure, having seen his daughter and foster son properly wedded and closing all matters overseen for so long.

Sadly, he would leave another elf dear to him behind when he reached the blessed realm, even if his wife was waiting there, suddenly no longer so appealing.

 

To be continued…….

 

      





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List