Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

To the Bitter End  by Periantari

“That’s’ what I meant. We hobbits out to stick together, and we will.  I shall go, unless they chain me up.  There must be someone with intelligence in the party.” –Pippin Took, The Ring Goes South

“We need to find a way to let us follow Frodo. You know he cannot go only with Sam,” said Merry determinedly to Pippin. It was several hours after they found out Sam was going with Frodo to Mordor.  Merry was indignant about the whole outcome of the Council and Frodo, Sam and Bilbo didn’t seem like they were siding with him that he should go.  Instead, they feared for him and Pippin’s safety which was unnecessary—they can make their own decisions.  Wasn’t the whole conspiracy his idea anyway?

“That is most unfair!  I agree Merry, what are we going to do? It seems like they are deciding everything without us.” Pippin paced around the room, trying to get his thoughts in line.

“We have to talk with Bilbo …and Gandalf… and hopefully Gandalf can put a good line for us?  He always had faith in us hobbits, didn’t he?” Merry scratched his head.  “I think they don’t leave too soon so we have time to convince them.”

“I know—it would be most unfair and the worst if Frodo went off by himself.  Who is going to protect him?”

“Well, that rules you out, Pippin—who do you think you are a warrior?”

“Well, what can YOU do, if we are in some trouble, Meriadoc Brandybuck? Use your brains to get us out?”

“Now, Peregrin Took, we are in this together so let’s not get too feisty,” Merry put down the book of maps he was studying and stood up. “Let’s go find Gandalf. If he were respected in these halls, he would be the one to put in a good word for us.”

The hobbits left their chamber and went to look for the wizard.

Gandalf was found in deep discussion with several elves but the hobbits waited besides him, eager faces flushed with excitement on what they were about to propose.

Gandalf saw them tapping their hobbit feet and paused from discussion with the elf lords and said, “Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took, what business has brought you here? Is this important and if not, I bid you wait back in your quarters and I will find you … later.” Gandalf said the last word with great emphasis.

“Well, it is of great importance that we speak with you, Gandalf,” began Merry.

“Yes, it is a very vital, and is a matter of life and death,” said Pippin dramatically.

Gandalf raised his eyebrows.  “All right lads…” He turned to the elves he was speaking with, “I’m sorry, Erestor and Lindir, I will be right back.”

Merry motioned Gandalf to follow them out of earshot of the elves.

“All right lads, what happened now?  Is everything all right?”

“It technically isn’t, Gandalf,” said Pippin.  “First there is a council without us, secondly, our cousin has decided to continue on in a most dangerous journey---“

“Without our supervision and advice to go along the way,” interrupted Merry. “So therefore, yes, there are serious concerns about this mission and quest that begs us to have OUR frank opinion because it is our own dear kinsman, and to tell you the honest trust, Frodo needs us along.”

“Silly hobbits! You interrupt my more important conversation with the elves for this?  Nothing is decided yet! Not even the company that will accompany Frodo and Sam.  I do not even know how many members we are choosing!”

“Which is even more important you put in a good word for us, Gandalf.  You need to tell them about hobbits—you know the Old Took, you know of hobbits’ courage and you know we would be with Frodo through thick and thin.  It would be most disadvantageous for Frodo to go on without his most trusted kinsman,” said Merry determinedly.

“Meriadoc, I know your concerns but this decision is not only for mine to take!”

“But you’re old and powerful and your opinion counts for a lot, doesn’t it?” asked Pippin.

“Why of course but I still cannot discount what the other Elf Lords and representatives have to say,” replied Gandalf.

“Well try for us, all right? You know we cannot stay here in Rivendell nor go back to the Shire at this important moment.”

“There may be more to do back in the Shire. I do not think anywhere will be the same after the War is done with the Dark Lord,” said Gandalf ominously.

“But we still want to be with Frodo! He has the darkest journey of all!” cried Pippin. “Please Gandalf! Please have us come along.”

“I will try, dear hobbits.  We will see.”

“You have greatest sway over Elrond, Gandalf. If you cannot help us, no one can. “

“Why do you want to come along, Merry?  It’ll be safer if you stayed in Rivendell with Bilbo!  I have enough to worry with Sam coming, but now I have to worry for you and Pippin too?”

The hobbits were having a discussion after Elrond did grant Pippin and Merry permission to go on the Quest.  Frodo was mystified and not at all happy with this new development. Sam looked down in uncertainty and Bilbo’s face was inscrutable.

“Frodo, you ought to know that since Crickhollow that Pippin and I are going to stay with you even if you go to the Mountain of Doom.  You cannot thwart us- we know what we are doing.”

We are not hobbit lads anymore,” added Pippin.

“You are barely of age, Pippin! What will your parents do if I do not bring you back… if anything may happen. You do not know what to expect!”

“It’s like those great adventures and stories, though, Frodo,” replied Merry thoughtfully. “Great heroes always have their own group to support them.  And we are your group and you have to trust us to stick with you.”

“Exactly! We’re your support, along with Sam!” said Pippin enthusiastically. “Sam will cook while Merry and I will scout out where we can rest along the road!”

Sam raised his eyebrows and looked caught off guard, “I do not only cook! I can do other things as well, Mr. Pippin!  And Mr. Frodo is right to be a bit worried. This is no treasure hunt, not anything like Bilbo’s adventures!”

Frodo looked at Bilbo for help in the matter.

“Well, Frodo lad, if Elrond and Gandalf granted permission in the matter, you should let your cousins decide.  Four heads are always better than one, I’ll say.  Besides, in a Quest as grand as this, it'll be better to be with those that you can trust.”

Frodo shook his head but reluctantly acquiesced. “All right. We will all not sleep for the next several months if this is the case. Merry, Pippin, stick together; don’t let your guard down.”

“Of course not, cousin! We will be the most alert and be the most careful hobbits!” cried Pippin.

“Thanks Frodo; you will not regret your own decision to let us come with you.  We will not disappoint you,” said Merry, putting his arm on Frodo’s shoulder.

~fin~

 





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List