Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Alphabet Book for the King's Children  by Larner

The Alphabet Book for the King’s Children

            “What is it?” asked Melian of her uncles as her brother Eldarion unwrapped the present they’d brought.

            “It’s a book,” Eldarion said as he unfolded the last bit of silk that had been used to protect it.

            “It’s an alphabet book and history for those who are children to the King Returned,” Elrohir explained as the boy opened the volume.  “It was prepared by the Lady Estella, wife to Sir Meriadoc Brandybuck, Sword-thegn to Éomer King of Rohan and Master of Buckland in the Shire, and it was bound by Lord Samwise, the Mayor of the Shire.  All of us hope that you enjoy it.”

            The title page was decorated with a map of Middle Earth in bright colors.  “How beautiful!” Melian breathed.

            Eldarion turned the page.  His sister stood behind him, looking over his shoulder to see it as he read aloud what was written.

 

A

Arnor is the name given the ancient North Kingdom of the Dúnedain.  Here ruled of old Elendil Amandilion as High King of the northern lands of Middle Earth.  After his death in the War of the Last Alliance, his older son Isildur claimed his Adar’s role as High King, leaving the youngest son of his brother Anárion as King of Gondor.

In time Arnor was divided into three realms, of which only Arthedain survived.  Until the reign of Arvedui the Heirs to Isildur ruled as Kings of Arnor, but after the final defeat of the Witch-king of Angmar, Arvedui’s son Aranarth would not accept the designation of King, but named himself merely the Chieftain of the Northern Dúnedain.

For a thousand years there remained a King with no Kingdom in the northern realm, and a Kingdom with no King in the southern one, until Aragorn Arathornion came into his own.  Accompanied by his kinsmen from Eriador, he rode through the Paths of the Dead to the aid of those who defended Minas Tirith, now Minas Anor once more, after which he led the Army of the West to the final battle of the War of the Ring, during which the Hobbits Frodo and Samwise brought the One Ring to Its destruction in the Sammath Naur.  Aragorn was accepted as the King of Gondor and then the King of Arnor as well.  He married the Lady Arwen Undómiel, and together they reign over the Reunited Kingdom founded by their ancestors,  Elendil and his sons, Isildur and Anárion.

 





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List