Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Alphabet Book for the King's Children  by Larner

B

Before Beleriand sank beneath the Sea, early in the first Age of the Sun, Bëor befriended Finrod Felagund, Lord of Nargothrond, a cavernous realm lying beneath the hills of Taur-en-Faroth.  Like brothers were they; but Men age, die, and are buried while Elves remain as they were lest they are slain.

Bëor begat Baran, who begat Boron, who begat Boromir, who begat Bregor, who begat Bregolas and Barahir.  Fighting against Morgoth beside Finrod, Barahir bravely battled orcs and fell beasts, and beat back black enemies, saving the life of Finrod, who swore to grant any boon begged of him by whoever bore the ring he bestowed upon Barahir as a token of the debt he owed the Man.  So it was that when Barahir’s son Beren beseeched him to aid in the quest for a Silmaril that he might be betrothed to Lúthien Tinúviel, Finrod agreed, leaving his people bereaved, for he was captured and beaten and battered to his death.

But it is said he was blest with a swift release from the Halls of Mandos, and that he serves now beside his father.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List