Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Alphabet Book for the King's Children  by Larner

F

From the Forodwaith and Bay of Forochel in the far north to Far Harad and further beyond to the south, the truest and finest treasure known is friendship.  So it was that Finrod Felagund embraced Men and Dwarves as brothers and so enriched his kingdom of Nargothrond; and Fingon labored to rescue Maedhros from the walls of the mountain fastness where he’d been fastened by Morgoth himself to the stones with a fire-forged staple and freighted with chains.

So friendship grew within the Fellowship of the Ring, as Elf and Dwarf forgot their differences, two Men who it was feared might prove rivals instead fought frightful foes at one another’s backs, and four Hobbits proved as forceful as their fellows, fulfilling the Wizard’s predictions.   The friendship between Frodo and Samwise certainly fulfilled their quest, as each found strength in the other to forge ahead when fear and enforced fasting would have had them fall and the quest to fail.  Without their faithfulness we would still face a fearful foe behind the fences of Mordor.  Instead, Sauron’s formidable fortress has fallen beyond fear of repair.

So it has been with our beloved King Aragorn Elessar, who as well as his familiar, beloved cousin Halbarad, has come to count among those he has chosen as brothers the likes of Faramir son of Denethor and beloved brother to Boromir of blessed memory, Frodo Baggins from the Shire, and Éomer King of Rohan.  Fealty, full wisdom, faithfulness beyond fear, and fearlessness in the fight are enshrined in these fourFull worthy of praise are they all to be considered as fellows in his fraternity!

            The faces of these four smiled from beside that of their beloved Ada in the illustration, and Eldarion stroked each one gently with his finger.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List