Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Alphabet Book for the King's Children  by Larner

G

Gerontius Took granted Gandalf the Grey full guest privileges at the Great Smial in Tuckborough in the Shire.  Gandalf and Gerontius had grown to be close friends, nearly always glad to greet one another.

But most gentlehobbits glared at Gandalf, given his reputation as a bad influence.  How many gullible young Hobbits, mostly Tooks, mind you, had gladly gone off on adventures goaded, the gaffers assured everyone, by Gandalf’s glib tales?

Even Gerontius’s own children grew restless, and two left their father’s home, one having disappeared completely and the other gone to sea, although one glorious day he returned home again.

Many years had gone by when Gandalf appeared again within the Shire, and a few days later all found Bilbo Baggins missing, having gone off with Gandalf and a gaggle of Dwarves to fight a dragon and regain a treasure.  But he, as with his Uncle Isengar, returned again, having gathered a gob of silver and gold and one small golden ring.

But then he was gone again!  “Glad that Frodo has more sense than to go off into the wild!” the gaffers told the gammers.  But one day all awoke to find Frodo gone, too, along with part of his small gang of friends, Sam the gardener and the apparently gormless sons of the Thain and the Master.

Gone they were for more than a year, until they returned also, clad in glorious garb, girded with swords, Merry and Pippin grown to giants (by Hobbit standards, at least)!  Gone was timidity, and they guarded their folk against the greedy Men who’d invaded the Shire at Lotho Sackville-Bagginses invitation, goading them until all were captured or fled away.

Glory be” shouted the gaffers and gammers together.  “The goons are gone at last!”  And they gushed their grateful thanks to Merry, Pippin, and Sam, few realizing that it was nine-fingered Frodo Baggins, garbed in the graceful grey-green cloak gifted him by Galadriel and with the Evenstar’s gem at his breast, who truly deserved the glory and their gratitude.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List