Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Alphabet Book for the King's Children  by Larner

I

Inspired perhaps by Irmo, Isildur slipped out of his grandfather’s house in intense silence, intending to infiltrate the Garden of the Tree in Armenelos with the intention of retrieving at the very least a fruit of the White Tree of Númenor.  From the inferior position of prisoner, Zigûr had risen in importance until he had become Ar-Pharazôn’s most influential counselor.  It was obvious he intended to drag the inhabitants of the Land of Gift into immorality and sin, involving them in impious acts and isolating them from interaction with those dwelling in the Immortal Lands of Aman.  He had imposed upon the land an immense temple and invested himself as High Priest, invoking Morgoth under the title of Giver of Life.  He imprisoned all he could take of the Faithful, immolating them along with innocents and those he saw as his rivals in Pharazôn’s court upon Morgoth’s altars.  Now he was insisting that Pharazón fell and burn the White Tree of Númenor to prove he was now independent of the influence of the Powers, declaring its garden inviolate as he’d done with the holy places upon Meneltarma.

It shall not be so!” Isildur intoned softly as he followed his intended path over the sacred mountains.  “In this Zigûr shall not win!   I shall not allow the lineage of the White Tree to fail!”

He managed to slip into the garden undetected, but ere he could escape with his prize he was interrupted.  Zigûr’s guards and the evil being himself sought to intercept him, and injured him seriously before he managed to evade them.  Somehow he managed to inure himself to the pain, although he had little idea as to how he managed to return to his grandfather’s house. 

“Ah, ion nín,” his father intoned, “it is an ill wound you have taken!”

Isildur whispered, “But it is imperative none of our people should forget the importance of the White Tree as the image of the faithfulness inherent in its original Kings and inhabitants.  I fear soon we must abandon this island and return to Middle Earth to reestablish our people there, taking with us the seedling of Nimloth the Fair.  And the inhabitants of that land shall be inspired by its presence to do no ill to others, but shall improve themselves and their children that we increase in honor and good intent.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List