Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Alphabet Book for the King's Children  by Larner

P

 

Peregrin Took, at 27, proved most perceptive and persistent.  First, he perceived that his peerless and pensive Cousin Frodo Baggins proposed to quietly leave the Shire to pursue a project of his own, perhaps in hopes of finding Bilbo.  Then he noted that his perspicacious cousins Meriadoc Brandybuck and Fredegar Bolger were also aware of Frodo’s plans, and were plotting with the patient and practical Samwise Gamgee, preparing to see to it that when Frodo proposed to leave, he should not do so unaccompanied, for they were persuaded that he would not be able to persevere without at least Merry and Sam’s company to help protect and provide for him.

So, Pippin poked his sharp Took nose in amongst the plotters, proceeding to point out he had no plans at all to remain behind!  They tried to persuade him he must stay home, but he pooh-poohed that!  These had made a pact years earlier that if they were making plans that it was likely their parents would disapprove of, then only if all gave permission could anyone tell anyone else.  Pippin pouted, then suggested he just might prod his sister Pervinca into poking around, and that there was nothing to prevent her from telling their parents.  Now, Merry’s parents might have been persuaded not to impede the plan should they understand a good part of the circumstances that compelled Frodo along the path he’d chosen; but Paladin and Eglantine Took were another plot of pansiesPermit their precious Peregrin to putter around Outside?  That would be beyond the pale!

So, Pippin was permitted to join the plotters, and when the day came he was ready with his pack on his shoulder.

True, he often proved (or at least played at being) a fool of a Took, but he could prod Frodo into laughing when no one else could, he persevered in his practice with the sword he was given, he proved plucky when they fought orcs, he found himself planning ways to prove to Aragorn he and Merry were still alive when they were captured, he helped prod the Ents along the path of war against Saruman in his treachery, and in the end he protected several who were in peril of death, and even managed to impale a troll!

Praise Peregrin Took, the Wise Fool who prevented many from perishing pointlessly!

            Eldarion laughed.  “Sir Merry wrote that!”  

            Laughing also, his father replied, “I am certain you are correct, ion nín!”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List