Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Alphabet Book for the King's Children  by Larner

V

Valiant Lord your father named you in your cradle, but he could as easily named you Lord with Vision,” Gandalf commented quietly as those who’d chosen to fight for the relief of Caer Andros marched westward.  “Although I doubt Denethor would have viewed those who found they could not march to the Black Gates as worthy of being offered a viable and still necessary goal to pursue.”

Visiting violence on those who are terrified does not instill them with valor, or so I have found.  They are virtuous Men, all of them, even the most timorous.  I value them too much to victimize them further when they have realized they have each reached his breaking point.  Better to send them off to do the work of virtuous Men where they can if they have not the vigor to face the viciousness of Mordor.  At least—at least those have the greater chance to survive their task, and knowing that they do indeed possess valor—just not necessarily the sort of valor needed to face the source of our greatest terrors.

“And as for Denethor,” Aragorn added, “for all of his wisdom he ever failed to value compassion as it deserves.  So it was that he belittled Faramir’s choice to aid Frodo as he did, wishing instead that Faramir had violated Frodo’s trust and brought both Ringbearer and Ring to Minas Tirith by force.  And that lack of trust in his son’s compassion nearly cost Gondor its so valuable new Steward!”

He sighed, watching the tail end of the column of those who’d chosen to go to Caer Andros turn to follow the rest.  “After all,” he murmured in a low voice, “there is the chance our path may well prove vainglorious.  But we must do what we can to offer those two valiant if terrified Hobbits what time they need to do what they can.”

“Those two, and perhaps the third, vicious as he might be.  Gollum will do his best to keep the Ringbbearer always within his vision.  But I still believe Gollum himself has his own part to play, violent or otherwise, ere the end.  And now,” Gandalf said, turning to Pippin Took, who stood nearby, “I see you have numbered yourself with those with the valor to fight before the Black Gate.”

Valor or stupidity?” Pippin asked.  “But I have a more viable stake in what happens here than those do.  After all, it’s my cousin and our friend who are in need of time and distraction!  It’s all I can do to support them as they, I hope, approach the end of their journey.  And I would validate the trust all have shown me in allowing me to come in spite of my very little appreciation of what it was all about.  But,” he continued more diffidently, “Do I have to fight alongside the rest of the Guards of the Citadel?  After all, I’ve come to be very close to Beregond by now, and I’d like to face this fight by his side.”

Aragorn knelt to look into his earnest face, and clasped him firmly by the shoulders.  “Oh, my most vibrant and valiant of small knights, in this battle you may choose whatever position, whatever company you wish.  And may the Valar look on you with favor.”  He leaned forward to kiss Pippin’s brow, rose, and returned to being the Captain of the Army of the West, the leader of this final valiant if perhaps ill-favored assault on Mordor’s strength.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List