Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

A Spring for Hope  by Periantari

“Use all the wits and knowledge you have of your own, Sam and then use the gift to help your work and better it.  And use it sparingly.  There is not much here, and I expect every grain has a value.” - Frodo, The Return of the King

Sam did get better from his fever but he stayed home for a week because of a lingering cough and general fatigue. The healer, Amaryllis Goldenfeet, did come to make sure that he wasn’t suffering from anything more serious and suggested a few days rest as well as prescriptions for his nasty cold. 

“Samwise, you shall not work for next couple of days until the congestion clears up.   We do not want a relapse.  You don’t do anything foolish now,” warned Amaryllis who glanced at Frodo and Rosie as well as she spoke.

Sam looked downcast, but Frodo and Rosie did their best to keep him calm and well, and also convinced him that it was for the better that he stayed home.    Jolly and Nick Cotton were quite alarmed at Sam’s illness, and they spent time at home with Sam as well.  They were both very fond of Sam and looked to him as a big brother.

“The other hobbits are quite happy with the placement of the seeds and such, Sammy,” said Jolly, as he handed Sam a cup of echinacea tea.  The healer had recommended that in order to strengthen Sam’s immune system and to reduce the cold’s duration.

“The flowers are starting to see signs of sprouting!  You did well with the planning. I came from Frogmorton yesterday and it seems like this Spring is going to be great everywhere!” added Nick.

“Really?” Sam smiled at the news.  He had worked hard all winter but he did not know the signs would come so soon, especially since March was still colder than usual.  He was looking forward to going outside again. The healer, Rosie and Frodo would not let him out the door until he finished all his teas.  His voice was finally getting better.

“Wait till Rosie knows this-- she’ll be happier indeed,” chuckled Jolly.  “Though she’s happy with anything you do.” Jolly smirked.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” asked Sam between coughs.  He still blushed when Rosie’s brothers joked with him.

“Nothing… but Sam, you have to know that Rosie’s been waiting…” said Nick, handing Sam a mug of water.

“Waiting?” Sam did think of Rosie often, and thought of taking the next step, but he was so busy tending the Shire and his master… was he continually neglecting the love of his life?

The Cotton brothers exchanged knowing looks.  “You just have to talk to her yourself.  Speak tonight. We will be out with friends.”

Indeed Jolly and Nick were right about the Shire’s recovery.   The seeds that Sam planted were starting to show.   Young saplings had begun to sprout and grow, and small hints of golden flowers were seen in the fields of the Shire.  

Sam’s groups of gardeners and helpers still went around Hobbiton, Waymeet, and Frogmorton, among other villages, to make sure remnants of sheds were gone, flower seeds and tree saplings  replacing all signs of ruffian invasion.  It was April now, and indeed the spring of 1420 was one to remember in the Shire.  Eventually Sam healed and did feel that his work did pay off especially when Bagshot Row was fully restored, and Frodo was able to return to Bag End.

“You were right, Mr. Frodo,” Sam said one clear Spring evening when they were sitting outside Number 3, smoking pipe-weed.  It was sunset and they were enjoying the mild springtime weather.

“What was I right about, Sam?” Frodo had a thoughtful look upon his face seeming to be beyond himself.

“You said that it wasn’t my fault what happened with the Shire and you also told me how to use what was in the Lady’s box.  Signs of those trees are here!  The Shire is going to be beautiful again!”

“And yes, it is thanks to your wits and your patience.” Frodo turned to Sam.  “You really are the hero, Sam.  You protect me and our home at all times and that makes you one of the best hobbits in the Shire.”

“Sam could not do it without Mr. Frodo,” replied Sam solemnly.  “Middle-earth needed Mr. Frodo most of all, don’t forget that.”

“You surprise me with everything you say, Sam,” Frodo put his arms on Sam’s shoulder.  “Thank you for always being here for me and learning to value yourself.  Never blame yourself and don’t overwork yourself.”

“You too, Mr. Frodo-- Bilbo and Gandalf always said you’re the best and wisest hobbit in the Shire so don’t you forget that.   I am lucky to have a master like you.  Thanks for taking care of me when I was sick.”

“Of course I need to take care of you, Sam! You’re my dearest hobbit and of course I’ll always be there for you.  But thank you, Sam but really.  You should get all the credit for everything that happened,” Frodo said seriously and looked away.

“But Mr. Frodo.  Without your courage to lead me, I wouldn’t have gone.  Your guidance led me and you fought through all the way in ...during the Quest.  Don’t you forget your role.”

“You don’t understand, Sam.  I fear things will not be the same.  I do not feel it being the same.”

“It won’t be, you’re right but you are going to get better and you just rest,in the Shire and relax.  You will see that with time, we are going on with our lives.”

“I hope so, Sam. But I just don’t know,” said Frodo with downcast eyes as he looked towards the westering Sun.

Sam did not what to say. He was indebted to Frodo in so many ways and he just wanted his master to be happy.  His own relationship with Rosie was strengthening and he felt joy most days, but he wanted his master also to feel like they had succeeded and things would come around.  But the shadow from the East seemed still present in their Shire and Sam felt sad that he couldn’t do anything.  Was there anything to make Frodo forget about the Quest?  Perhaps time was all that was needed to mend his master?

“Don’t worry, Sam,” Frodo gave a wan smile seeming to read Sam’s mind.  “I have my duties as Deputy Mayor to keep me busy and also my book! Bilbo wants me to finish what he started, remember?”

“Yes, you need to write more or you’ll forget!  I want to read it when it’s done, Mr. Frodo.”

The golden flowers were showing signs of dominating  Hobbiton’s landscape, and where the Party Tree once was bloomed the first mallorn west of the Mountains and east of the Sea.  Frodo and Sam did not know yet, but 1420 would be one of the marvelous years in Shire history. 

Sam thought of the story that he had landed in and the events in the past year.  He had not known that he would make it through, yet he had kept his hope alive when it was dark in Mordor. Returning to the Shire caused another grief in his heart, but his Shire had survived and now he and his fellow hobbits were better off.  He was especially happy now since Rosie had set a date for their wedding and he was happy to oblige and thankful that Rosie had waited for him when he was gone.  Only Frodo had to return to his old self and hopefully with the Shire being as splendid as ever, that would also help Frodo’s spirits.  

It seemed like there was a lot to be hopeful about after all, and this Spring seemed even more bright and cheerful than any he had ever known.

~Fin~





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List