Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Darkness is more than the absence of light  by Laikwalâssê

Chapter 2:  the unbelievable happens

Elrond descended the steps down into the smoky and cramped lounge of the small inn where he and his family had made their temporary stay.

Celebrían, already sitting in a small nook, looked up when she sensed her husband and smiled. He was dressed in simple garb and had reduced his glowing to an almost undetectable level, at least for humans, yet he still looked the majestic lord he was.

“Adar, we are here,” Arwen sitting beside her mother called, not very loudly so as not to draw any more attention, yet loud enough for her father to spot her. The stares of the other guests were awkward enough.

The healer came over and first kissed his wife, then his daughter on the cheek, aware that all eyes were on him. The innkeeper had kindly reserved them a table at a small alcove to give them some privacy.

“How´s Glorfindel?” Arwen asked her father after he sat down.

“He has promised to rest and will join us for breakfast.”

Celebrían squeezed her beloved´s hand, knowing well just how obstinate the warrior could be when it came down to curing him of injuries. With his quick elven healing ability, he would indeed soon be back on his feet.

“Where are Elladan and Elrohir?” Elrond asked looking around.

Due to the happenings during their journey and their delay, they had missed joining the twin brothers at the bridge of Tharbad. The sons of Elrond waited a day longer than appointed. Concerned, they had searched for the group, but then decided to continue toward the town in the hope of meeting their family there.

At the gates, they were finally reunited. Caring properly for Glorfindel had been paramount, and so there was little time to exchange news.

“They are looking after the horses and will join us shortly.”

Celebrían had just finished speaking when the door to the inn opened and the twins entered.

Arwen sighed when all eyes were now on her brothers. The blatant behaviour of the humans unnerved her.

The twins came over and hugged their mother and sister. “Adar,” they said in unison nodding at their father.

Sensing his sister´s unease Elrohir smiled.

“You have to learn to ignore them. They do not see elves very often.”

“And surely not in such a bunch.” Arwen giggled, but stopped at her father´s stern glance.

After the innkeeper had taken their orders, the elves relaxed.

“How is Glorfindel?” Elladan asked.

“Back on his feet tomorrow,” Elrond answered. Elladan nodded and sighed. He and Elrohir had feared the worst when their family did not appear as arranged.

“Good. Galador will meet with us tomorrow.”

“But we wanted to visit the market,” Arwen protested, her brow furrowed.

Elrohir placed a loving arm around his sister´s shoulder.

“Don´t worry, my dearest sister, we will explore the market with you until you beg us to bring you back. I have already spotted a stand with lovely ribbons and wonderful coloured cloth.”

“Really?” Arwen´s eyes shone. She hugged her brother enthusiastically.

Celebrían looked at her son fondly. Elrohir had a special bond with his sister. Beside the respectable warrior he had become, he was still the loving brother.

When the innkeeper brought the evening meal, Arwen looked sceptically at her plate.

“I´m not sure I will be able to eat this” she asked with a pleading look at her father.

“You wanted to dive into human society,” Celebrían said, demonstratively picking up a piece on her plate with her fork.

Elrond shook his head while the twins laughed.

………………………………………….

After a quiet refreshing night and a heartening breakfast, the family gathered in front of the inn ready to explore the town.

Glorfindel was sitting on the front porch of the inn enjoying a glass of deep red wine. He was not content that Elrond had made it clear he did not want him to leave this place until they returned from the visit to the market.

“I cannot possibly let you all go without protection,” the warrior declared indignantly.

“We are going to the market, not into battle,” Elrond answered shaking his head. He was not willing to let the fair-haired elf overtax himself one day after his getting injured.

Glorfindel sighed but knew he would not change the healer´s mind.

“Then I wish you a successful hunt, my dear lady.”

Arwen giggled and winked at the warrior, as did Celebrían. The sun shone brightly. This promised to be a wonderful day.

The twins trailed behind smiling at their sister´s joyfulness.

After an hour of strolling through the market, Arwen turned into a side laneway. She had spotted a stand with brightly coloured cloth.

“Look after your sister,” Elrond demanded his sons. Elladan and Elrohir nodded and followed the swiftly vanishing form.

“Just some time for us,” Elrond smiled at his wife.

Celebrían nodded yet craned her neck after her children. She was not content to let her daughter out of her sight. The twins were old enough to look after themselves, being respectable warriors for quite some time and already accustomed to humans. Arwen was still very young and innocent, not to mention way too unacquainted with men.

After another hour the brothers stopped at a stand.

“What a beautiful scabbard,” Elladan said holding out the sheath to his brother for inspection.

“Indeed, it is worth the price,” Elrohir answered. Elladan wanted to pay the merchant, when all colour drained from his face.

Elrohir turned at him startled. Just as his brother, he heard the mental cry of their sister. A cry full of panic. The scabbard falling to the ground, the brothers looked up and down the long laneway. Arwen had just been there, but now they could not spot her.

“Arwen?” Elladan called.

“Arwen?” Elrohir echoed.

No answer but still the brothers could receive their sister´s panicked calls for help through their bond.

In unison, they ran down the street and stopped abruptly at a small backyard just visible from the crowded street.

What they saw drained the colour from their faces.

Arwen was lying on her back on the ground, two young men kneeling on her left and right side were holding her arms outstretched, pinning her down.  A third man was crouched over her, sealing her mouth with his hand. He pressed his body atop her.

Elladan´s vision went red with hate, seeing the unmistakable situation.

He saw only his sister´s bare thighs and her ripped gown over her breasts and sprang forward. Without conscious thought, he grabbed the man by his neck and lifted him effortlessly from his sister’s body. With a mighty jerk, he hurled the stunned human on a house wall a good five feet away. The man slid to the floor and remained there unconscious.

Elrohir had not been far behind his brother. He grabbed the two pinning Arwen down. With a mighty push, he had shoved them away.

While Elladan was still gathering his wits and trying to breathe through the anger, Elrohir had already crouched next to his shocked sister, gathering her carefully in his arms.

Arwen first thrashed at him until she realized who was holding her. She buried her head in her brother´s shoulder crying loudly.

Just as Elladan wanted to kneel also, he registered a movement from the corner of his eye. One of the men Elrohir had hurled away had recovered and was back on his feet. He was already sprinting toward the younger twin a knife in his raised hand.

Elrohir had not seen him, occupied in calming his sister and with his back to the scene.

A second time within minutes Elladan reacted without conscious thought, his honed warrior skills emerging. He knew Elrohir would never respond in time. He had to act or else his brother would be dead within a minute. He drew his knife and hurled it at the man. He was dead before he dropped to the ground, the knife sticking out of his breast.

Now all hell broke loose. Townspeople, curious at all the shouting, surged into the small courtyard.

A woman at the front let out a high-pitched cry. She pointed at the man lying in a growing puddle of blood.

“The elves have killed Gareth. They have killed the Mayor´s son!”

She pointed at Elladan. “Murderer.”

The crowd began to move as one, circling the three elves and the man on the ground. Elrohir pulled his sister closer while Elladan stood very slowly his eyes glittering.

“Humour me,” was all he ground out at a man thinking himself very courageous and coming toward him.  

The man, however, stopped at a cry he had never heard before.

“Stop! All of you. What the hell is the meaning of this?”

Where the townspeople screeched in horror, Elrohir let out a sigh of relief, seeing Glorfindel standing there in the archway his hair and cape billowing behind him. Much more frightening than the cold look in his eyes was his drawn longbow.

To be continued…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List