Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Darkness is more than the absence of light  by Laikwalâssê

Darkness is more than the absence of light

Chapter 3:  chaos ensues

The tall and imposing Elf moved very slowly from the archway toward the three younger elves in the middle of the backyard.

The commotion suddenly stilled, all spectators staring at the pointed arrow. One of the men Elrohir had shoved away had recovered, run to the back of the place and then vanished. The unconscious man was still lying at the base of the wall. Glorfindel crouched down near him and checked his pulse. The man was indeed dead.

It had become deadly quiet, all eyes watching the fair-haired elf. Only the crying of Arwen could be heard.

“Elladan, Elrohir, you are alright?”  Glorfindel registered two curt nods out of the corner of his eye.

“Glorfindel, we…..”

“Keep silent! Elrondion”! Elrohir shut his mouth, while Elladan´s gaze got even darker.

Glorfindel straightened.

“Everyone not involved in this…incident will now clear this place – immediately!

The elf had not spoken very loudly, yet his voice reverberated to the last row of the large group of spectators which had gathered.

“You are not in command here elf, and I would advise you to lower that bow.”

The crowd opened up and a middle-aged man with grey hair and a slight limp entered the place.

Unfazed, Glorfindel looked into unfriendly cold eyes.

“He´s dead, I assume? What happened here?” The man´s eyes were now directed at the man on the ground.

“This I want to know also.”

Glorfindel did not blink at the appearance of the Elf-Lord. He had long sensed his approach.

“Arwen,” Celebrían cried when seeing her three children huddling on the ground, Arwen, still in Elrohir´s arms, was crying and unaware of the happenings around her; she pried her hand loose from her husband´s and hastened to the youngsters.

Glorfindel bowed to his Lord.

“Master Elrond. Obviously, your daughter had been attacked. Your sons intervened and this one – Glorfindel nodded his head in the direction of the dead man – was killed in the process.”

“Murdered, you mean,” the grey-haired man cried.

“He wanted to kill Elrohir. It was self-defence,” Elladan shot back.

The healer´s eyes had narrowed at Glorfindel´s narrative. He had long scanned his children´s condition, which had told him much of the story Glorfindel had not told.

“This can investigated later. Elrohir please carry your sister back to the inn. Elladan you escort your mother home…”

“Stop! He will go nowhere. He has murdered Gareth. I will arrest him. It´s my right. I´m the town´s mayor.”

The middle-aged man was pointing at Elladan. Glorfindel had meanwhile lowered his bow and stepped behind the older twin, a firm hand on the quivering body.

While Elrohir had gathered his sister in his arms and Celebrían had shed a large shawl to cover her daughter´s bareness, Elrond turned ever so slightly to face the judge.

“My daughter is injured and I will treat her now, sir. My wife and ALL of my children will join me. Elladan acted in self-defence and so I see no need for you to keep him. I really mourn you loss. We are staying at the ´Sundown Inn´ and will go nowhere else. Now you would do well to clear the way.”

The man´s eye darted around.

“You can all go, but he stays,” he made a sweeping gesture but then pointed again at Elladan.

Glorfindel saw that his Lord´s patience was nearing its end; he wanted nothing more than to quickly ascertain his daughter´s condition.

“My Lord, I will stay with him and clear this.”

The healer nodded at the warrior. Both Celebrian and Elrohir, with Arwen in his arms, were already leaving; the crowd  reluctantly parting for them.

Elrond glanced a last time over his shoulder. Glorfindel would watch over Elladan.  They had just left the market ground when Arwen stopped crying, that and the girl’s dazed gaze worried him more than the heart-breaking sound earlier.

The three elves quickly hastened down the darkened streets. Sensing his father´s scrutiny, Elrohir took a deep breath.

“Ada, I´m sorry we´ve just…..”

The healer held up his hand and Elrohir hushed.

“Save this for later.”

Elrohir swallowed. His father had proceeded him and was now holding open the door to the inn. His mother waited until he had entered. Her face was unreadable.

Thankfully, not many guests were sitting in the lounge. Elrohir quickly ascended the steps and entered their rooms after his mother had opened the door. He carefully placed his sister on the large bed.

He was just about to wash his hands, while his mother began to take off Arwen´s ripped gown.

“Elrohir, you leave.” The healer´s voice was devoid of any emotion.

The younger twin looked up aghast.

…”but you will need help….”

“Your mother will help me, please leave.”

Elrohir lowered his eyes. Not even the reassuring look from his mother could comfort him, and he left the room without a backward glance. In the corridor outside he stopped, taking a shuddering breath.

His father blamed him for what had happened to his little sister and he was right. Elladan and he were supposed to look after her. They – he - had failed her.

He silently closed the door and slid down onto a small wooden bench. He closed his eyes and reached out for his brother, but got no response. Elladan had completely blocked their bond. No alien concept for him. He had not expected otherwise.

Elrohir leaned his head back on the wall. He dreaded the moment his father would come out and tell him exactly what had happened to Arwen.

 

………………………………………….

When the door finally opened again, Elrohir slowly rose. He did not know how much time had passed – it had felt like eternity to him.

Before his father could close the door, Elrohir caught a glimpse into the room.  His heart sank when he saw his mother sitting on his sister’s bed, crying. Arwen was covered to her chin with a thick woollen blanket, her face relaxed, though pale.

“Ada, how is she?” Elrohir asked quietly while his father closed the door silently. The younger twin reluctantly raised his head and searched the older elf´s eyes.

The healer took a deep breath and motioned for his son to follow him.  Elrohir sighed and followed his father into his parent’s room. Their travel packs were just half unpacked.

After Elrohir had closed the door, he waited patiently for his father to speak. When the healer did not speak immediately, Elrohir came over and sat beside his father on the large bed.

Finally, the older elf looked up.

“Your sister has a few bumps and scratches and a shallow cut to her neck, seemingly caused by a knife, but…...”

Elrohir took a deep breath. The described injuries were painful but not serious, however, the `but´ hung heavily in the air and the younger twin dreaded the next words.

“….but that’s not what worries me.”

Elrohir closed his eyes. Even though he feared the answer, he had to know. He swallowed.

“The man had tried to rape her, yes?” he asked, his voice a mere whisper.

Elrohir´s world crumbled when his father did not answer. Elrohir knew that elves faded when being forced. Raping was an alien concept among the elven race. Never would a male force himself on a female. Yet there had been a handful of incidences with humans and the outcome was always the same.

“Ada, I have to know, has she been penetrated?”

Startled, the healer looked up and into his son´s eyes. Now he saw what his silence had caused.

“Yes, she has been penetrated but your brother intervened quickly enough. I´m pretty sure the act was not consummated.  There is still hope.”

Elrohir nodded, though his father’s words gave him no comfort. Even if his sister should recover and not fade, she would be traumatized for the rest of her life.

Before Elrohir could sort out his feelings, they heard hurried footsteps nearing the room.

The door was pushed open and Glorfindel stood there.

Alarmed, the healer rose, as did Elrohir.

The warrior briefly frowned when sensing the high emotions between father and son. He did not have to be a mind-reader to guess the topic of their conversation.

He directed his gaze at the healer.  “Elrond, you have to come quickly. The mayor has arrested Elladan and accused him of murdering his son. The judge was more than willing to fulfil the prosecution. These two are an evil lot. I had no chance to prevent this, aside from killing another one.”

The healer nodded, his eyes blazing furiously. Hurriedly, he grabbed his cape from a hook.

“Lead the way, Glorfindel. I want to have a talk with this mayor.”

The warrior turned and marched ahead. Elrohir closed the door and hurried after the older elves.

To be continued………………………     





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List