Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Darkness is more than the absence of light  by Laikwalâssê

Chapter 4:  arbitrariness

Elladan nearly fell at the hard push.  He stumbled into the dark and dank cell, the door clanging shut behind him. For many moments he kept still in the darkness, willing his nerves to still.

“Don´t be afraid,” Glorfindel called before the heavy cell door blocked all sound and light from the outside.

He shook his head. He was not afraid; more shocked at what had happened to his sister, and angry with the humans who had dared to touch Arwen in such a way.

He did not know if Arwen had really been raped, but the sight that had greeted him had been more than enough to demand action. She was lying with a knife to her throat, with a ruffian kneeling over her bared thighs. It was a picture he would have to work hard to ever extinguish from his mind.

Glorfindel´s hastily spoken words however, meant as comfort, made him think. Should he be afraid? He had acted in self-defence, otherwise Elrohir would be dead by now.

He had clearly recognized the will to kill in the other man´s eyes.

He had also seen the absolute hatred in the judge´s gaze when he had been arrested.

Of course he mourned the loss of a life – he had not intended to kill the man in the first place – yet the knife in the other´s hand had taken the rationality from his mind and justified his actions. Hadn’t it?  So why had the judge looked at him with so much contempt?

He slid down against the rough stone, leaned his back on the wall and pulled his knees up to his chin. With much emotional effort, he warded off his brother´s searching mind.

Even if he would welcome some comfort right now, he was not willing to let his brother see his desolation. And besides, Elrohir would surely know what had happened to Arwen and in some way he did not want to know the whole truth yet.

Tentatively, he reached out to his father and met only hard concentration – always there when his father was treating the injured. His mother´s mind was full of despair not even registering his approach.

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. He only wished he could have had the chance to express his apologies to his parents for letting his little sister get into danger.

…………………………….

“You will stay with your mother.”

The look in the healer´s eyes softened, seeing the upcoming protest of the younger twin.

“But Elladan needs me, he´s ……..”

Elrond placed a comforting hand on his son´s shoulder.

“I know, ion nin. I will look after your brother and bring him home. I do not want your mother and sister unguarded.”

Elrohir nodded, reluctantly knowing that arguing with his father was futile. Waiting until the two tall elves had rounded a corner he turned and headed upstairs.

Glorfindel had not spoken a word since they had left the inn. Elrond well understood the other´s irritation for, after all, he had promised to look after Elladan. What problem had developed that the warrior could not handle himself?

Yet all words of sympathy died on his lips, his mind in too much turmoil. The assault on his daughter lay heavily on his soul. Even if Arwen had not been fully raped, the attempt would darken his child´s soul and he would be hard pressed to prevent Arwen from fading – if he would be able to at all.

He could not prevent a pained sound from escaping. Quickly masking his attitude and mind, he faced the questioning look from the warrior, and asked:   “Why was Elladan arrested?”

It was intended to be a simple question, but it came out like an accusation.

Glorfindel ignored the tone.

“The judge is a dangerous man. There was no point in arguing with him. He will not listen to anything you have to say.

The healer stopped abruptly and caught the warrior´s sleeve forcing him to stop also and to turn.

“Glorfindel, they have raped Arwen and tried to kill Elrohir. I consider these are serious charges that they will be forced to hear.”

Glorfindel briefly lowered his head and closed his eyes to hide his shock. He had feared as much, but until now hoped otherwise.

Slowly he looked up.

“Elrond, Elladan has killed the judge´s son….”

“Yes, but in self-defence,” the healer interjected. “The knife used should provide the proof of that.”

When the warrior did not answer right away, the healer frowned.

“Glorfindel?”

“There was no knife found in the whole courtyard. The judge claimed that Elladan imagined a weapon and therefore he killed in cold blood.”

Elrond took a deep breath. “You do not think that Elladan could possibly have imagined the knife?”

The warrior let his breath out slowly.

“Of course not, but I did not see the knife myself. When I arrived at the scene, the young man was already dead. Elrond, if we cannot find the weapon, Elladan will be accused of premediated murder. In fact, they have already done so, which is the reason I have asked for your assistance.”

Now the healer let his breath out slowly. What game was being played here? The joyous family trip had turned into something dangerous. It was high time for plain-talking

“Lead the way, Captain.”

Glorfindel nodded. Curtness was always a bad sign with his Lord, but maybe they could now reach some understanding with the representives of this town?

 

……………………………………..



When they reached the town-hall the Elf-Lord did not for one second delay to enter. Not even the large crowd that had gathered in front of the building slowed his steps.

“Hang the dammed elf,” they shouted.

 

His hand already on the door-handle the healer stopped, shocked. How could this situation have become out of hand so quickly?  Briefly closing his eyes, he turned slowly, the accusations gradually became more cautious and suddenly the bawling townspeople stumbled backwards under the intense gaze he directed at them.

The healer turned when Glorfindel placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Save it – they are not our concern,” Glorfindel whispered in Sindarin.  The healer nodded and turned again to finally enter the great building.

The two elves strode across a tiled hall directly to a counter where an aloof looking man awaited them.

Before the Master healer could even voice his concern, the man held up a hand and said, “You are out of office hours.”

Glorfindel raised an eyebrow in annoyance. This clerk surely knew who had entered this building and why. The whole town had no other topic right now.

The healer stopped and smiled at the man, yet the smile did not reach his eyes.

Briefly looking at the name-plate standing on the desk, Elrond inclined his head.

“Mr. Comer, my name is Lord Elrond of Imladris and this is Lord Glorfindel. We are here to speak with the mayor; Mr. Halward, I´ve learned.”

The man at the counter squirmed under the gaze of the healer, but his arrogant attitude did not change.

“As I said before, Elrond, you are out of office hours. You have to make an appointment.”

Glorfindel bristled at the insult while the healer´s back became even more rigid, if that was possible.

“Mr. Comer, this was no wish, and your office hours are of no concern to me. My son is held here unjustly and I am here to remedy that, with or without your assistance.”

Elrond took another step toward the man, saying “Well? I have other concerns to address, so don´t waste my time.”

Now the clerk seemed unsettled, yet he made no effort to follow the Elf-Lord´s request. Glorfindel readied his stance, sensing his Lord´s thinning patience.

Before another word could be exchanged, a door to their right opened revealing a sturdy looking man with long unkempt grey hair.

“Comer, let them pass,” he said.

The clerk, seemingly relieved to get rid of the unnerving visitors, nodded and waved snidely at the elves.

“This way…my Lords,” he smirked.

Elrond ignored the insolent man and walked toward the newcomer.

“Mr. Halward, I presume?” Elrond asked.  The human nodded.

“I´m Lord… “

“I know who you are, elf. You can turn right away. I can do nothing for you. So leave this house.”

Ignoring the request, Elrond forced the man back into his office simply by striding forward. Glorfindel closed the door behind them.

When the mayor had reached his desk, the healer stepped just one step closer.

Both elves had not missed the second man now entering the office through a back door. Glorfindel recognized the judge.

 

“Man, you are holding my son prisoner unjustly. First, I want to speak with him and then we can discuss how we can solve this problem.”

Fleeing from the closeness of the towering Elf-Lord, the mayor quickly rounded his desk.

“Problem? You call the death of his son a problem?" He pointed at the second man. "Do you know what I call this, elf? I call it murder and your son will pay for it.”

The voice of the mayor had reached a shrill level.

Elrond briefly closed his eyes. It did not escape his notice that the judge had said nothing, only gazing at the two elves with unveiled hostility.

“As much as I mourn the loss, the young man was involved in assaulting my daughter and he tried to kill my other son. His brother acted in self-defence.”

The mayor´s face went red, but before he had a chance to say anything further, the judge approached the trio.

“Save this for later, Halward. Tomorrow there will be an official Hearing and then we will state our position.”

Glorfindel narrowed his eyes. The mayor was the louder of the two, but the judge was the more dangerous.

The healer was hard pressed to keep his temper in check, and took a deep breath.

“Official hearing? I do not know what facts are unclear enough to discuss officially?”

“Oh, there are many facts, beginning with the missing knife.”

Elrond narrowed his eyes. This was developing into a real nightmare. He inclined his head.

“Alright. If this will end this vexed episode. However, I still want to speak with my son. Right now.”

“I´m sorry, my Lord” the judge said with much contempt. “But that´s not possible.”

“Why? If you have nothing to hide, what harm could it do?”

Glorfindel fixed the judge with his penetrating gaze until the man squirmed.

The judge licked his lips and looked back at the healer.

“Your son was not – let us say- very cooperative. I think he needs some time to think.”

Elrond inhaled sharply.

“I hope you have not harmed him …..”

“Else what?” the mayor asked.

“You will regret it,” Elrond answered as he walked towards the door. It was a simple statement of fact.

“Was this a threat?”

The healer did not turn, his hand already on the door-handle.

“I make no idle threats. This was a promise. Glorfindel let us leave.”

Glorfindel followed his friend out into the hall.

“That maybe was not the wisest course of action, Elrond…..”

The healer turned.

“Glorfindel, those two are not interested in any real problem- solving. They are after the blood of Elladan and this I will prevent at all cost.”

Glorfindel nodded. He was exactly of Elrond´s opinion, but they had the town’s only Judge antagonistic to them; not a promising outlook for the upcoming trial.

On entering the courtyard, the healer stopped abruptly. The mob was still there.

“We will need help. Someone with a sharp mind and a skilled tongue.”

Glorfindel raised an eyebrow. He could think of only one person with those abilities.

To be continued……………..     





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List