Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Darkness is more than the absence of light  by Laikwalâssê

Chapter 6: official hearing

The town hall was filled. When Elrond entered the great hall he stopped, momentarily surprised at the masses of people seemingly crammed into the last free space.

This was the second hearing. Four days ago, a similar scene had occurred. A complete waste of time. Elrond was still angry about how they had been treated but, most of all, he could not comprehend why he had not been allowed to see his son.

All tactics, from demanding to pleading, had failed to reach this goal. No real facts could be discussed either, no compromise arranged. They had chosen Elladan as their scapegoat and nothing would alter that. The healer had never met so much resistance and he was now sure that – regardless of whatever he could say or do - the mayor would never accommodate him.

That was past. Elrond was not willing to let this meeting proceed in a similar way.

The healer faltered only for a second, not noticeable by any human. However, Elrohir walking behind his father, clearly saw his father´s stiffening back.

Elrohir´s frown deepened. Normally, his father was a very level-headed elf, ever trying to solve problems with objectivity. But the incident with his sister had exhausted his father´s patience. Day and night, he was spending part of his strength to prevent his daughter from fading. Arwen was still very young and did not know how to come to terms with her feelings – the healer tried to dampen the onslaught to give her time to adjust and face whatever outcome this whole disaster would bring.

Together, the two elves walked down the middle aisle fully aware of, but unfazed by, the uncounted stares directed at them.

At the end of the row the mayor sat on the dais in a high-backed chair; just below him sat the judge. Both men looked openly hostile and already the healer doubted whether anything useful would come out of this meeting. He had a real feeling of deja vué of the meeting four days past.

“Elladan is not here,” Elrohir said, low enough for only his father to hear. The older elf nodded imperceptibly. Even if he had hoped otherwise, he had not expected to see his son without argument.

He had not been sure about whether to leave Glorfindel behind, but he had not wanted Celebrían and Arwen left unguarded. The atmosphere in the hall was explosive and a back-up would not have hurt. However, this time he would not back down.

Elrohir swallowed. Last night he had perceived disturbing feelings from his brother. Even if Elladan had shut their bond one-sided, he could not cut their connection completely. Elrohir was sure his brother was in pain – emotional or bodily he could not tell. Damn the protectiveness of his older twin. In the morning, he had told his father, and that had not really improved the healer´s mood.

“That´s near enough, elf.”

While Elrohir narrowed his eyes at this new rudeness, the healer walked further forward until he had reached the dais.

He stared at the mayor for a few moments; the judge he ignored.

“Before we continue this farce, I demand to see my son.”

“That´s not possible,” the judge said sliding to the edge of his seat.

Elrond looked a second longer at the mayor before he directed his gaze at the second man.

“And why is this so? This is no wish, but my right. My son is not accused officially, and you keep him without a reason. Besides, what harm would it do? Or have you something to hide?”

The judge´s gaze flicked to the mayor, who shrugged. Suddenly Elrond had a very bad feeling. This reluctance came too quickly.

The mayor waved at the young man standing at a back door. The youngster hurried outside, and the door shut with a thud.

Elrond waited with highly visible impatience while a murmur had risen in the great hall. Elrohir had closed the distance to his father.

Suddenly the door opened, and a sturdy man came in. He had a rusty chain in his hand and was dragging something behind him.

Elrohir swallowed when he saw that his brother was tied with his hands to the other end of the chain, forcing the elf to follow the demanding pulls.

A cry of horror however escaped his lips when the older twin came out into the brightly lit hall.  He could see on his brother´s face at least three open wounds still oozing blood which, together with an awkward gait, indicated that he had been beaten.

The healer´s eyes had narrowed to small slits. With a clinical gaze, he scanned the condition of his son. When he was sure that his child was in no immediate danger, he directed his gaze again at the mayor. His gaze was cold.

“What is the meaning of this?” he demanded; his voice, though not overly loud, could be heard throughout the hall.

Without waiting for an answer, the healer strode forward. The sturdy man bringing Elladan in, stepped into the older elf´s path.

Without effort, the healer shoved the man to the side jerking the chain out of his hand.

He cupped his son´s chin in his hand and gently raised the downcast head.

“Elladan are you alright?” he asked, yet more than the answer, he would rely on his healing instinct.

“I´m alright, Ada,” Elladan replied a bit too quickly and Elrond only raised an annoyed eyebrow. His son´s swollen face and the pain radiating from his hip spoke another language.

While placing a hand on the older twin´s shoulder and already pouring healing energy into the body, Elrond beckoned an impatiently waiting Elrohir to come nearer. Elrohir needed no second invitation.

The jailor made a second attempt to block the way and this time Elrohir was not as prudent as his father. He twisted the right arm of the tall man up his back forcing him to his knees. Without caring for the cry of pain, he released the jailor without another look, hastening toward his brother. He stepped next to his twin and supported his wobbly stance. Elladan leaned heavily on his brother´s arm.

The mayor had sprung up, raising a hand against the increasing muttering in the hall.

“Step back immediately from the prisoner. You have no right to get in touch with him.”

Still keeping contact with his child, Elrond again faced the mayor.

“My son is injured. I will treat him now and nothing will keep me from it……”

“Ada, watch out!”

Elrohir´s warning came just a fraction too late. The jailor had risen with a great iron rod and punched it down on the healer´s arm which was still holding the chain.

Pain exploded in the healer´s forearm when the bone broke. Elrond had the presence of mind not to cry out or let the chain out of his fingers. The jailor looked uncomprehendingly at his weapon. However, he had no more time to wonder, as a precisely placed punch from Elrohir knocked him unconscious.

Then chaos erupted. Many of the spectators in the great hall had sprung up and were calling out loudly. The judge was calling for a helper to replace the jailor, while the mayor was sitting motionless looking on with interest.

After Elrohir had helped his brother to sit down, he stood next to his father, gently prying the chain loose from the cramped fingers.   His sleeve already straining under the quickly swelling arm, the healer opened his eyes, slowly breathing through the pain. “Let me look at this,” Elrohir said softly, gently rolling up the sleeve. The healer however jerked his arm away, supporting the broken limb with his other hand.

“Look after your brother.”

Before Elrohir could protest, his father had straightened and walked again up to the dais. He didn’t stop until he was face to face with the mayor.

“This was a mistake, man. I will now take my son with me and you would be well advised to step out of my way…..”

A sudden commotion at the great double doors attracted everyone’s attention.

A tall figure dressed all in black, his long hair and cape billowing behind him had appeared at the entrance.   He was sitting on a great black horse which was stomping its hooves nervously.

 

Suddenly, it was deadly quiet in the hall. All were staring at the imposing elf with varying degrees of interest.

The elf spurred his horse forward. He stopped only when he had reached the platform. He let his gaze wander over the twin brothers; from Elrohir caring for his brother´s wounds, back to his Lord´s strained face, on to the arrogant looking faces of the mayor and judge.

“I have been told an official hearing is being held here. I can see nothing of that. Would you be so kind as to tell me what this riot is all about?”

 

To be continued…….

 

      





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List