Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Darkness is more than the absence of light  by Laikwalâssê

Chapter 9:  shock

On arrival at the inn, Elrohir still had not cooled down, as Erestor had hoped. The young elf´s irritation had changed from anger to desperation.

Only now, Erestor recognized the silent tears rolling down the younger twin´s cheeks and dripping from his chin. Erestor sighed. How young he looked; compared to himself, only out of childhood. Had he ever been that young?

Before Elrohir could enter the inn, Erestor grabbed a slender wrist and dragged the elf into a dark side road next to the inn. With no one witnessing, he drew the son of Elrond into a tight embrace, withstanding the struggling.

Soon the young elf relaxed and began crying in earnest.

“Erestor, we cannot let this happen. We have to do something…anything…” his further words were drowned out by his tear-choked voice.

Erestor kept stroking the dark tresses until the shuddering eased somewhat. He cupped the swollen face in his hands, forcing the younger twin to look at him.

“Elrohir, we will not let this happen, do you hear me? But first, I have to speak with your father.”

Elrohir nodded mutely.

“I cannot look him in the face. It was my fault that the penalty was this hard, had I not….”

“Elrohir stop!”

Erestor waited until the flow of words had stopped.

“Nothing is your fault. This sentence is not logical at all. We will not accept it.”

Elrohir looked at the older elf´s eyes trying to find hope there. Finally, he nodded and followed his mentor back onto the main road. Together they entered the inn, and Erestor urged the young elf quickly upstairs.

When Elrohir opened the door to their rooms he stopped abruptly at the threshold, Erestor nearly bumping into him.

Like the younger twin, Erestor instantly felt the tension-laden atmosphere. The healer and his wife had obviously been in the middle of an argument – again.

Elrohir´s face changed from pensive into open anger.

“Have you no other problems? It would be nice to expand your focus past your own animosities.”

The younger twin´s voice had been shrill.

Elrohir turned and left the room in a hurry, jumping down the steps. Erestor heard the door of the inn opening and slamming shut.

Imladris’ counsellor watched the stunned couple closely. Even if his first impulse was to go after Elrohir, he had first to clear this situation.

“What is the meaning of this?”

This was Elrond.

“Elrohir, what? Come back instantly!”

This was Celebrían.

Erestor sighed. How had he just known these reactions?

He silently closed the door. The shouting had already been witnessed by half the inn.

After a quick look toward the bed, where Arwen was resting with her eyes closed, Erestor motioned for the two elves to sit at the table with him.

While the healer sat down heavily on a chair, Celebrían kept standing beside the bed, and said,

“Erestor, what happened at the court, why is Elrohir so upset?”

Erestor pointed again at the free chair at the table.

“This I´m about to explain, my Lady. Please sit.”

Galadriel´s daughter made no move. Elrond massaged his temples.

“Wife, please sit down.”

Finally, Celebrían moved over.  Both elves looked expectantly at him, and Erestor took a deep breath.

“Celebrían, Elrond, I´m sorry to bring bad news. The conduct of the hearing was unexpected. They sentenced Elladan to be hanged.”

While the healer looked at his counsellor with an unreadable face, Celebrian had sprung up with a cry.

“You cannot be serious,” she cried.

While Elrond rose to gather his trembling wife in his arms, Erestor closed his eyes.

“There is no rational discussion with this mayor. He is not willing to hear any argument from our side. He provoked Elrohir and, when the boy reacted as expected, he could not wait to proclaim the sentence.”

Suddenly, Erestor looked at Elrond.

“Elrond, had you ever had dealings with this man?”

The healer´s head jerked up.

“Why do you ask?” he enquired. The couple had sat again.

Erestor shook his head.

“If I did not know any better, I would guess the mayor has something personal against you, some….old grudge.”

“That´s not relevant. This man has to be stopped.” Celebrían was about to stand up again. Only Elrond´s iron grip kept her sitting.

Erestor sighed.

“That´s exactly the point, my Lady. He´s not really after Elladan. He is just a mere pawn. In secret, he is punishing you.”

Erestor looked pointedly at the healer.

The half-elf still had said nothing, his brow furrowed.

Celebrían looked at her husband, irritated.

“Elrond?”

Erestor narrowed his eyes. The healer was still not answering. Erestor knew this state exactly. The healer was in trance.

Erestor did not have to be a mind reader to guess whom the Master of Imladris was contacting. He would have suggested this himself.

Celebrían had risen and gone to lie down next to her sleeping daughter.

Half an hour later the healer stirred and looked at his counsellor.

“I have to look after Arwen. Erestor, will you please go after Elrohir? One son in trouble is enough for me.”

Elrond was not willing to elaborate further, nor would he change his mind, so Erestor nodded. This he wanted to do anyway. The he looked around.

“Where is Glofindel?”

“Exploring,” was all Elrond answered.

Erestor nodded. Maybe the warrior could get some further information?

With a last look back, Erestor silently left the room.

 

……………………………

Erestor sighed when he left the inn and the door closed behind him shutting in the smoky atmosphere. He took deep breaths as he contemplated where to start his search for Elrohir.

When he felt eyes on him, he turned and squinted. A man, leaning at the wall of the inn, regarded him intently.

“Much trouble on your road, elf.”

Erestor narrowed his eyes.

“Not your business, I think.”

The man still half in darkness blew out his breath.

“Maybe, but with the boy´s life at stake, maybe I have some information.”

Erestor made two swift strides toward the man, cornering him between the wall and a fence.

“If you have something to say then do it, otherwise get out of my way.”

The man seemed not in the least intimidated by the piercing dark eyes.

“Peace, elf. I´m not your enemy.”

Erestor took a step back.

“Firstly, the brother of the unfortunate sentenced boy is attempting something really stupid right now. And secondly, your arrogant Lord should strain his memory and remember Sybill, the mayor´s wife.”

Before Erestor could react, the man had slipped past him and vanished into the darkness.

Erestor raised an eyebrow.

Sybill? This name was not familiar to him. What had Elrond to do with the mayor´s wife?

He shook his head. This had to wait for later.

The counsellor sprinted down the dark street. He had a pretty good guess what Elrohir was attempting. He had to stop the foolish boy. And, where was Glorfindel when you needed him?

To be continued……………….     





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List