Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Darkness is more than the absence of light  by Laikwalâssê

Rating: PG-13

Chapter 13:  plain speaking

 “A beer?”

Halward nodded and accepted the cold mug.

The second man joined the first one on the wooden bench in his office.

“Why so down, Halward? In only two days you have reached your goal.”

Again, the mayor only nodded. He looked at the judge.

“Nonetheless, it does not seem right, Ragnar.”

The judge rose.

“Have you already forgotten what this damned elf has done to your wife – to your child, ha? Have you forgotten what this Elladan has done to my son?””

The mayor shook his head mutely, and the judge slammed his fist on the table, enraged at getting no other reaction.

“Now you have the possibility to take revenge. This Elrond murdered your wife and your unborn child years ago, and now his son has murdered my son. It´s enough I think. Together we will bring him down. He will feel your pain – and my pain, in losing a son.”

Halward looked at his friend darkly. Yes, he blamed the Elf Lord for destroying his little family, but that had been years ago. The events of late, however, had made him question their friendship. The judge was driven by hatred and contempt. Not once had he mourned the death of his son. Long had his family been hopelessly divided – Lucy, his wife, had long departed. But Ragnar was using his misery of two years ago for his own purpose.

Again, he tried to reason with the judge.

“But the young elf is innocent. When they find out about the knife……”

Ragnar whirled around.

“Then they will not. I have made sure of that. And now stop whining. I will check the perimeter. I hope they will not be so foolish as to start another attempt. This time I shall kill the whelp right away, I swear.”

Halward fell silent. Ragnar was insane, but he had not the means to stop him.

 

……………………………………………….

When Elrond returned from his check on his two patients, Erestor handed the healer a cup of steaming hot tea.

The sun was already rising.  Both Elrohir and Glorfindel had spent the last night relatively comfortably, considering the circumstances.

The healer´s gaze was directed toward the little town. Tomorrow would be the day the townspeople would kill his son.

Erestor knew exactly what thoughts crossed his Lord´s mind. He felt just as helpless. Arguing was of no use, force least of all. Their failed rescue attempt had not made anything easier.

“Erestor, please tell me what reasons have moved you and Glorfindel to this endeavor? Arguing was your task, not a sledgehammer approach.”

Erestor cleared his throat. He sat down beside his Lord on a fallen log.

“You are right I´m a master of words. But, the first meeting with these two men had told me that arguments would never move their minds. Elladan was not really their problem, this I discovered soon. They had some other reason to act this hostile.

I´m sure, Elladan has not imagined the knife, nonetheless, it has vanished. Glorfindel and I have searched the ground – it´s no longer there. Someone has taken it away on purpose. All these indications would not have inspired me, yet two days ago a young man contacted me at the inn. He had some information that disturbed me most.”

Until now, the healer had listened mutely but now his head snapped up.

“What information?”

Erestor took a deep breath.

“The young man told me that the reason why the mayor is this agitated against you is the death of his wife Sibyll.”

The healer looked at his councilor aghast.

“What have I to do with this woman, respecting her death?”

“Before I had the chance to ask the informant, he had vanished.”

Elrond sighed.

“Then we have again nothing that would solve this riddle. But, be aware Erestor, I will never let it happen that they hang Elladan. If there is no other option, I would rather substitute for him.”

Erestor had risen slowly.

“You will do nothing of this, my Lord. Someone has stashed away this dammed knife and I´m already searching for that one. And then we can public discredit these villains.”

Elrond had also risen.

“You forget that the execution date is tomorrow, and you still have not found the knife. Time is running out.”

Erestor sighed. He could only agree.

“Let us return to the inn.”

 

…………………………………..

Elrond let himself sink into the cushions of the chair in their rooms at the inn. He was exhausted. Arwen had been awake for hours and, to an inattentive observer, she seemed to be doing alright, yet the healer could clearly sense the shadow on her soul. It was a thin veil he had managed to place over the experience, and any small incident would rip open this barrier.

 

Erestor had brought over Glorfindel´s stallion and on its back the warrior and younger twin could be transported back into town swiftly, but it had taken them three hours to transport Glorfindel and Elrohir back to the inn.

Glorfindel was doing well, indeed much better than Elrond had expected. The wound was still angry and the warrior in considerable pain, yet all was healing nicely. However, it would be some time before he would be able to use his arm, least of all shoot a bow, or wield a sword.

Elrohir was also admonished not to put any strain on his injured limb. The younger twin was also doing well, lying next to his sister, speaking softly to her.

Erestor was sitting at the windowsill, looking out. Half of the day, he had investigated to find out who had any interest in taking away the knife and denying the elves their only evidence. Either the townspeople were too frightened to talk, or on the mayor´s side. In short, he had achieved nothing. Another request to at least see Elladan had again been refused.

When Celebrían towered above her sitting husband with crossed arms, Erestor expected her to be up to no good.

“Elrond, what are you intending to do about Elladan? Sitting here will achieve nothing. Our son needs our help. I cannot even reach him. He´s blocking me.”

At her last words, her voice had wavered.

Erestor directed a searching gaze at the warrior.

Glorfindel´s face was troubled. They all felt sympathy for the first Lady but pushing or accusing Master Elrond was never a good option. She, least of all, should know this best.

“Elrond, please answer me! Elladan will be hanged tomorrow!”

Celebrían had rounded the chair and placed her hands on the healer´s shoulders.

Elrond had opened his eyes and slowly removed his wife´s hands. He rose.

“Do you think I do not know this? If you have a suggestion, please let me know.”

Glorfindel had just risen to mediate when Arwen started crying again. Directing an annoyed gaze at the couple he turned and sat on the bed.

“Ssh, sweetheart. We will not let this happen. Stop crying.”

The warrior hugged both the younger twin and the girl.

Just as Celebrían wanted to say something more a knock sounded at the door.

Elrond strode to the door and opened it with a jerk.

Erestor had risen and come behind his Lord.

Outside the door was a young man holding a wrapped object in his shaking hands.

He looked, frightened, at the tall Elf-Lord.

“My Lord, I think you should have this. I´m sorry.”

Quickly, the man thrust the wrapping into the elf´s hand and fled down the corridor.

Before Elrond could react, the boy had left the inn.

Erestor had started to follow the boy, when Elrond caught his sleeve.

“Leave it.”

After closing the door, Elrond carefully unwrapped the package.

Celebrían let out a small cry when the object was revealed.

Glorfindel and Erestor both raised an eyebrow.

Elrohir had closed the door to the room where Arwen was now sleeping.

“That´s the missing knife, isn´t it?” he asked with a shaky voice.

The healer nodded.

“I guess. I think I have to pay a new visit to our good mayor.”

Celebrían gathered a shawl. “And I will accompany you.”

Elrond looked troubled but nodded.

“Erestor will you also come, Glorfindel please stay with my children.”

Glorfindel inclined his head while Elrohir lowered his head. To argue with his father now would be futile.

Just as Erestor wanted to open the door for his Lord and Lady, again a knock sounded.

After a nod from the healer, Erestor opened the door. A runner from the town hall was standing breathlessly outside.

Erestor narrowed his eyes.

“I have to deliver the following message: The execution has been prepared. Today at high noon.”

Elrond just managed to catch the limp body of his fainting wife.

To be continued…………

 

 

      





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List