Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Maybe it's the Accent  by shirebound

* Maybe it’s the Accent *


Legolas drew the wizard aside. “Mithrandir,” he remarked, “you know more about hobbits than anyone -- why does Pippin speak so differently than the others?”

“Because he’s a Took.”

“Explain.”

“I’ve thought about this for many years, Legolas, and I believe that the Tooks are taught to speak like that so they can be as impertinent as they please, but still seem charming and endearing. There’s something almost hypnotic in the tonal rhythm.”

“He is charming and endearing,” Legolas said with a frown. “Pippin can say the most annoying thing, and it just makes me want to hug him and give him my dessert.”

“It’s the accent,” the wizard said sagely. “That Took clan is fiendishly clever.” He pointed to where Frodo was laughing at something Pippin had just said, and Sam was surreptitiously handing the young Took an extra piece of fruit. “They have the whole Shire fooled.”

“Are you immune?” the Elf asked.

“Of course!” the wizard huffed. “Do you imagine that this youngster’s power is the equal of my own?”

"It's just that he couldn't persuade Lord Elrond to let him go with Frodo, but you agreed immed---"

Pippin came over to join them. “Gandalf,” he asked sweetly, “can we please get off this snowy mountain? It’s awfully cold up here -- I might catch a chill.”

Gandalf beamed at him, and Legolas saw that the wizard’s eyes had glazed over slightly in a bemused expression.

“Of course, dear boy,” the wizard smiled. “Let us leave at once!” 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List