Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Wrong Path  by White Wolf

Chapter Eighteen

For a long time no one spoke. Both of the elder elves were greatly saddened by what they had just revealed to their children. It was devastating news. How could it not be?

Thranduil, especially, was almost beyond consoling. He was going to lose his son. It was a decision that Thranduil, the King, had to make while pushing Thranduil, the father, to the side. He would have given his own life in an instant to change the outcome. But, Legolas was the one who had the poison in his system, so that choice had been taken away from the elven King. He also had to admit to himself that Legolas had been right, Mordraug would never set him free no matter what Thranduil did. That knowledge did nothing to make him feel any better.

Elrond felt as totally helpless now as he had all those centuries ago, when Mordraug had first shown up. *No,* he thought. *I feel worse, because I have come to love Legolas, as much as if he were my own.* But, he too, knew that Legolas was beyond salvation, a thought that made his heart ache. As strong-willed as Elrond was, at that moment, the elf Lord couldn’t bring himself to meet the eyes of Legolas, Thranduil or any of his own children.

“I can’t believe this!” Aragorn shouted. “You are all just sitting here talking about Legolas's death and saying nothing about how to prevent it from happening.”

“Estel...” Legolas began.

“No, Legolas. You are not going to die. I won’t allow that to happen. There has to be a way to stop Mordraug and save you, and I intend on finding out what it is.” Aragorn was so distraught and angry that he was shaking. He looked to his brothers for support.

Elrohir ventured a suggestion. “We could all go to find Mordraug. If we are fully armed and have a large contingent of warriors with us, there is no way he could get us all.”

“Elrohir, I appreciate the offer.” Legolas said with a nod to one of his dearest friends, “but we would be sacrificing too many brave warriors to a horrible death. I will not let that happen just to save myself.” He looked pointedly at Aragorn, who looked like he was about to protest. “Would you do differently, Estel, if you were in my place?”

Aragorn knew Legolas had effectively silenced him, because he knew he would not do it any differently in the same circumstance. He couldn’t bring himself to voice the negative answer, so he just hung his head and stared down at the gold-colored bedspread.

As much as Elladan wanted to agree with his twin, he had to disagree by bringing up another important point. “Even if we killed Mordraug and his snake, how could we stop the poison? We do not even know if there is an antidote to neutralize it. We could kill the dark elf and still not be able to...” He stopped short of saying ‘save Legolas‘.

Legolas, who had been sitting up since the pain had left his body, put his hands on either side of his head and closed his eyes. His head had started to hurt...bad. He knew immediately that it wasn’t the poison this time. It was just a normal headache, though he hadn’t had one in many years.

“Legolas,” his father said fearfully. “Has the pain returned?” He reached out and put his hand over one of the young elf’s. He didn’t know if he could stand watching his son suffer another vicious attack.

“No, Ada. It is only a headache. I think I need to rest. I feel very tired.”

Thranduil, as well as all the others in the room, were surprised that the stubborn young elf would admit that. It did not bode well for how he must really be feeling, since any pain he had was usually ten times worse than whatever he admitted to.

“Lie back down, ion nin,” Thranduil encouraged. “Try to sleep. I will watch over you.” He briefly thought back to the times he had done that for Legolas, the elfling.

Legolas was about to protest when he saw the look in his father’s eyes. He also noted the same look in Estel’s. He knew that neither one would be able to conduct activities as usual while they were concerned about him. That went for Elrond and the twins, as well. He hated people worrying on his account, but under the circumstances, there was nothing he could do about it. He did understand, because if any of them had been in his place, he wouldn’t have left their side for anything. He nodded at his father‘s suggestion.

He tried very hard to keep his eyes open, so there would be no more concern than there already was, but he just couldn’t do it. As soon as he settled back down on the pillows, his eyes slowly closed. Everyone else present was immediately aware of the significance of Legolas's closed eyes, and their worry increased.

Elrond motioned the twins away from the bed. The Lord of Imladris walked over to the door, and his elven sons followed. In a low voice, he said to them, “I think we need to leave them alone for now. Perhaps, we can go to my library and see if there is something we missed that could help.”

He led his sons out of the room. All three knew that any such search through Elrond’s books and scrolls would be as useless as those searches had been all during the time of Legolas's coma. But, they had to do something besides sit and think too hard on what had happened to the Mirkwood prince and what the twins found out about the poison in their friend.

Behind them Thranduil and Aragorn sat on the bed and stared at Legolas. Both of their minds were filled with sorrow and helplessness.

Aragorn still wasn’t ready to give up on his best friend. He would never give up---never---not as long as the elf drew breath, and that was something that the man was determined to see continue to happen.

Thranduil, who had known the truth about the venom, had already surrendered all hope. All he wanted to do now was spend as much time with his son as he could. He mentally cursed Mordraug and his maniacal idea that he was the rightful ruler of Mirkwood. There was no truth to it, but because of that false belief in the mind of an insane elf, Thranduil was to lose his youngest child. He put his right hand over his eyes and sobbed silently and bitterly.

Aragorn was so full of anger, he could barely keep himself still. He watched Legolas sleep, not knowing if any second the archer would have another cruel attack. The thought that Mordraug could do this to his friend as often as he wished until he received what he wanted infuriated the ranger. To Aragorn’s way of thinking, no elf deserved to suffer the way the elves all those years ago had, but none deserved it less than this elf.

The elven king and the human ranger spoke little for the rest of the day. Legolas slept soundly, and they kept their vigil. The twins brought two food trays to the room for their brother and the king at lunchtime, but neither felt like eating anything. The trays were left.

When asked by Aragorn if anything had been found in Elrond‘s library, Elladan shook his head. The man hadn’t really expected the answer to be any different.

~*~*~

Just as the sun was sinking below the western horizon, Legolas woke up. He smiled when he saw his father and best friend by his side. The smile remained, even after the joy in his heart faded. He felt far worse for them and what he knew they felt than he did for his own impending death. He would have given anything to spare them what they would go through when he finally passed into the Halls of Mandos. He also felt bad that his father would have to return to Mirkwood with his body and explain to his brothers and sisters that their little brother had suffered the same fate as their naneth had. Still, he was glad it was him and neither Thranduil nor Estel that would be leaving this life. He held on to the belief that they would recover in time.

It was then that Aragorn noticed the elf’s eyes were open. “Legolas.”

At the sound of his son’s name, Thranduil turned his head to face the young elf. “Ion nin. you are awake. How do you fare?”

“I am all right, Ada. My head no longer pains me.” He gave his father and then Aragorn a reassuring nod. He was glad that he spoke the truth. The headache had indeed disappeared.

The young elf noticed that the sun had set and soft globes of light from candles were lit around the room.

“Neither of you have eaten all day, have you?” He didn’t need to see the untouched food trays to know that. “You both must not worry so. I have accepted my fate.” He looked at his father and saw that he had, as well. The look on the ranger’s face was far different. “I wish you would, Estel.”

“No, I won’t, and I can’t believe that you would give up on yourself.” He tried to keep the anger out of his voice, but it was there despite the effort.

“I have never been one to give up. You know that, Estel. But I also have never held on to false hope, when all genuine hope is gone.”

“More of your elven logic.”

“I am a logical elf, “ Legolas replied. There was no need to mention that he could be a very emotional one, as well. “Do not fight against reality, Estel. It will only cause you heartache.”

“And, you think your death won’t?”

“See? You have finally accepted the inevitable.”

Aragorn took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He did not want to spend time arguing with Legolas. He’d be crushed if the argument somehow triggered another attack. “You are too stubborn for you own good.”

“So, I have been told,” Legolas said with mild amusement, looking at both his friend and his father.

The king had been privy to many such exchanges between his son and the human. It still confused Thranduil, but he had never been able to turn Legolas from his chosen path of having this man for a friend. Now, he found himself glad that he had not.

“Ada, I wish to go back to my own room. I want to be alone for a while before the evening meal. I am all right, and I promise that I will seek help if anything happens.”

That remark didn’t ease Thranduil’s concerns any, since an attack would leave his son totally helpless and unable to do anything to aid himself. But, the last thing he wanted was to waste time arguing with his son. He nodded. “We will eat together.”

“Later tonight, please. I am not hungry now.”

Again Thranduil nodded.

Both Thranduil and Aragorn stood up and moved so that Legolas could get out of the bed. The elf was surprised and happy that he felt neither pain nor dizziness. “Until later.“ He gave his father a quick embrace. He wanted to hold him tight and tell him goodbye, but he knew he couldn’t let Thranduil suspect what he was planning. He simply smiled, turning quickly so no one would see the look in his eyes.  He left the room.

Legolas hadn't turned quickly enough.  There was something in Legolas's eyes as he left that stirred a feeling of foreboding in the man’s heart. He knew that look. He turned to Thranduil. “I will see that he arrives at his room in good order.” With no further words, he followed his friend out of the room and down the hall.

When Legolas reached his room, he opened the door and started inside. Before he could close it, Aragorn was standing there. He pushed himself past the elf and entered the room without asking for permission. His voice was angry as he turned on his friend and asked, “Just when were you planning to leave? While we were all at dinner? Or, did you intend on sneaking out in the middle of the night?””

“I do not know what you mean.”

“You know exactly what I mean. I know you too well, Legolas. You intend on going to find Mordraug and try to destroy him by yourself.” He moved closer to the elf. “That’s true, isn’t it?” His question was accusatory and harsh.

Legolas sighed. Estel did know him too well. It was a waste of time to deny it. “I must,” was his only reply.

“Why? Don’t you know he’ll kill you.”

Legolas put his hand on Aragorn’s shoulder and looked evenly into his eyes. In a soft voice, he said, “He already has, Estel. Deep down you know this as surely as I do.”

“I know no such thing. I will never let you just resign yourself to death. I told you there has to be an answer.”

“There is, but you do not wish to hear it.” Legolas's voice was calm, and it seemed to rouse Aragorn’s anger even more.

“I will never accept that, you infuriating elf! You are not going to die. Not in my lifetime. You are immortal, and you must live until it‘s time for you to sail to the West.”

“Not all elves reach Valinor.”

Aragorn‘s shoulders slumped just the tiniest bit. “You aren’t going to change your mind, are you?”

“No.”

“Then, I’m going with you. The two of us have a better chance anyway.”

The entire time Aragorn was making his declaration, Legolas was shaking his head.. “I must do this alone.”

“Why?”

Legolas brushed past the ranger and walked over to his bed. Aragorn followed. He held his arms out in front of him with his palms up in a pleading gesture. “Just tell me why.”

The elf stepped around Aragorn. The maneuver forced the man to turn until his back was to the bed. When Legolas had the ranger positioned exactly where he wanted him, he said, “Because, you have not been poisoned. I have.”

In a lightning fast move, Legolas clenched his fist, pulled his arm back and swung it forward, hitting the ranger on the jaw---hard. Aragorn saw it coming but could do nothing in time to stop it. He fell back limply onto the bed.

Legolas lifted his friend up and carefully laid him down lengthwise on the bed. He gently rested Estel’s head on the large pillow. When he stood, he looked down at the man’s face. “Please forgive me for this, Estel. It was necessary.” With a sigh, he turned and walked out onto the balcony for the last time.

The elf stood and looked out over the garden. How beautiful it was in the silvery glow of the full moon, which had now risen above the treetops. How he would miss this scene that had given him so much pleasure. He started to turn back, when a breeze brought to him the scent of his favorite blue flowers in the wooden box at the left end of the balcony. A smile touched his lips.

He walked over and bent down, holding two of the flowers in the cupped palms of each hand. He released the one in his left hand and slid his right hand a couple of inches down the stem of the other one. With a quick twist, he snapped it neatly. He put the flower under his nose and breathed in deeply, closing his eyes and relishing the strong fragrance. It soothed his Silvan soul.

He turned and went back into the room and sat down at the small desk near the doorway. There was a lit candle in a crystal globe near the edge, and he pulled it closer as he opened a drawer and pulled out a pen, ink bottle and two pieces of parchment. With little hesitation, he began to write.

Before long, he laid the pen down and swiftly glanced over what he had written on both sheets of paper before nodding and signing his name to each. Once he was sure all the ink was dry, Legolas carefully folded the papers separately and wrote a name on the outside of them.

The elf stood up, picking up the papers and the flower. He walked over to where Aragorn lay. He lifted the man’s left arm and set the papers next to each other on the bed with the flower on top of one of them. He lowered Aragorn’s arm so that his hand rested on the papers and his fingers encircled the blue flower. Then, he walked over to where his quiver rested on a table next to one wall. He took out one of the green-fletched arrows that he had lovingly made himself, as he had all of his arrows. He went back and laid it down next to Estel.

He leaned over and placed the palm of his hand on Estel‘s chest over his heart. “Namarie, mellon nin.”

Legolas gathered his weapons. With one last look around the room and then at his friend, the elf silently slipped out of the room.

 

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List