Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Pearl of Great Price  by Lindelea

Chapter 26. The Colour of Sunshine

It was not long before the Thain was walking the corridors of the Great Smials once more, supported between Baragrim and Isumbold. He joked about being half the hobbit he’d been before, but it was too close to the truth for the comfort of the Tooks. He had lost a great deal of weight in three weeks of illness, and to the worry of the healers his appetite did not return when the fever broke. He continued to drop weight even with all the healers and servants and his mother badgering him to eat, until he resembled the hobbits of his escort more than a son of Lalia the Fat.

With healthful, strengthening food, exercise, fresh air, and tonics brewed by Bittersweet, Ferumbras soon claimed to be feeling better than he had in years. As soon as he was strong enough to ride, the Thain rode out with his escort for several hours each day. It was mild for February. Bittersweet decreed that the fresh air would be beneficial, and so Lalia did not fuss at his absence from the Smials, but actually urged him to go out daily.

 ‘Well old fellow,’ he said on a ride near the end of February, patting his pony’s neck. ‘You must wonder what’s happened to your old master... and who this new hobbit is on your back. I imagine it is quite a relief to carry such a light burden as I have become.’

Straightening in the saddle, he said, ‘Who’s that?’

Isumbold looked in the direction indicated. Two hobbits were coming out of a small copse of trees, bearing a small deer hanging from a pole.

 ‘Young Ferdi,’ he said. ‘Verilard has been training him in the hunt. Looks as if he’s an apt pupil.’

Ferumbras reined his pony in their direction, hailing the hunters. ‘Fresh venison for the Thain’s table!’ he said cheerily as he approached. ‘My thanks, Veri!’

 ‘Ferdi’s shot,’ the hunter said laconically.

 ‘Well Ferdi,’ Ferumbras said. The teen kept his eyes on the ground, but the Thain could see that he was listening. ‘Be sure to take a haunch for your father; I’m sure he’d like a good venison stew.’

Ferdi nodded without looking up. ‘Thankee, Sir,’ Veri said for the lad. ‘Very kind.’

 ‘You’ve earned it, lad,’ Ferumbras said. ‘I’ve had good reports of you. Keep going as you’ve begun and you’ll go far.’ He looked to Isumbold. ‘Well,’ he said, ‘time’s a-wasting and I promised to be back in time for tea.’

He found his mother quite animated this day, chattering as he poured out their tea, asking questions without waiting for the answers.

Pearl appeared before teatime was over, as was her duty, and Ferumbras glanced at her sharply. She too was more animated than usual, her eyes dancing with secret delight. She and the Mistress were more like two girls than an ancient hobbit and her companion. Ferumbras sipped at his tea, figuring that the secret, whatever it was, would soon come out. He was not mistaken.

 ‘Pearl,’ the Mistress said peremptorily, putting down her teacup. ‘Bring it out, girl.’

The girl brought out a bulky paper-wrapped bundle from under the desk, setting it in Lalia’s lap. ‘Here you are, Mistress.’

 ‘Thank you, lass,’ Lalia said. ‘I sent Pearl out with a little commission, and she has done wonderfully well.’

 ‘O?’ Ferumbras said, lifting an eyebrow as he sipped his tea.

 ‘O aye, I sent her to the marketplace with a few coins, told her to make a good bargain and she could keep half of what she brought back to me.’

 ‘And did she make a good bargain?’ Ferumbras said.

His mother actually laughed. ‘A fine bargain!’ she said. ‘I was so pleased I let her keep the whole of the coins she brought back, for what a treasure she brought me!’

 ‘What is it?’ Ferumbras said curiously.

 ‘Open it!’ Lalia demanded, giving the package a little push. Her son put down his teacup, got up and bent over his mother, undoing the string, pushing the paper back to reveal a cloak of the finest wool, dyed a buttery yellow that brought sunshine into the room.
 
 ‘How fine!’ he exclaimed. ‘Indeed, Miss Pearl, you’ve a good eye for weaving.’

 ‘I bought it for you,’ Lalia said. She’d sent Pearl to the market in Tuckborough in search of a light but warm cloak, and fretted until the girl returned in triumph. ‘Your old cloak is too heavy, and I fear you will leave it off if it encumbers you too much, and then you might catch a chill.’

 ‘Ah Mother,’ Ferumbras said fondly, ‘you know me all too well.’

 ‘I do!’ Lalia said sternly. ‘This cloak is so finely woven as to be light and easy to wear, yet of fine wool that will keep the spring breeze from your bones. Go ahead,’ she urged, ‘put it on!’

Ferumbras stood tall and slung the cloak about his shoulders, fastening the clasp and striking a pose. His mother clapped her hands together in delight. ‘You look like a king!’ she said.

 ‘Whatever one of those looks like,’ Ferumbras said dryly, but he wore a pleased smile as he fingered the soft wool. ‘If the King ever does come back, demand what he might, he may not have my cloak!’ All laughed, and he added, ‘Well chosen, Mother, indeed.’ He nodded at Pearl with a smile, and she returned the nod with a smile of her own, glad to have afforded the Mistress such pleasure after the long, anxious weeks.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List