Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Warrior  by daw the minstrel

I borrow characters and settings from Tolkien but they are his, not mine.  I gain only the enriched imaginative life that I assume he intended me to gain.

Many thanks to Nilmandra for beta reading this for me.

*******

6.  A Visit to Esgaroth

“Legolas!”

From his place sitting next to Tynd, Legolas looked up at the sound of Todith calling his name.  The captain beckoned to him from across the campsite, and Legolas hastily downed the last spoonful of his morning porridge, put the bowl down, and then leapt to his feet and trotted over to where Todith was using a large rock as a desk.

“I want you to ride to Esgaroth today and carry a message to the town master,” Todith told him, folding the parchment upon which he had been writing.  “He still has not sent us word about the fate of the Men who cut the timber in the king’s forest.”

Legolas’s eyes widened at the news of this assignment. As a matter of fact, the younger warriors were usually the ones sent as messengers.  Legolas had seen Tynd sent to carry messages several times, but this was the first time Todith had chosen him to do it. That his assigned task involved a trip to Esgaroth was a circumstance almost too fortunate for him to believe.  Thranduil had allowed him to visit Esgaroth only once, several years earlier, and he had found the place to be fascinating.

“Do you know your way around the town?” Todith asked.

“Not really,” Legolas admitted. “I have been there just once.” For a second, he feared that Todith would change his mind about sending him, but the captain seemed undisturbed.

“Ask directions to the Town Hall when you get there,” he instructed.  “Anyone will be able to tell you where it is. Give the master my message and tell him that you must have an answer today.”  He glanced to one side and Legolas realized that Beliond had approached and was listening quietly.  “Beliond will go with you, of course,” Todith added.  Legolas felt a stab of disappointment.  He remembered Beliond’s reaction to Beam and his companions in the forest and feared that he was unlikely to be an entertaining companion on a visit to a town of Men.

As if reading his mind, Todith smiled at him slightly.  “I will expect you back before nightfall.  Behave yourself.”

Legolas returned his smile. “I will do my best, captain.”  Todith laughed and waved a hand in dismissal.

“I will get our horses,” Beliond told him.  “You get any gear you think you need.”  They normally kept their weapons close to hand even when in camp, and Beliond had already picked up his bow and quiver.  So far as Legolas could tell, he seemed to wear his sword even at night on the flet they shared.

Legolas caught at his sleeve as he started off.  “Can I get you anything?” he asked politely, but Beliond shook his head.  His face was as impassive as it usually was, but Legolas strongly suspected that he did not like his charge being sent on this particular assignment. Too bad, Legolas thought defiantly.  I like it!

He hurried back toward where he had been eating to fetch his own weapons.  “Todith is sending me to Esgaroth with a message,” he told Tynd happily as he strapped on his quiver.

“Lucky you,” Tynd responded.  “I guess that means you get out of cleanup duty today.”

Legolas grinned.  “I am afraid it does,” he said with mock regret.

From behind him came the sound of someone snorting in disgust, and he knew whom he would see even before he reluctantly turned to face Tinár.  “I see you think you have been given a plum task,” Tinár said, making it sound like an accusation.

With difficulty, Legolas curbed his tongue.  Tinár had been nearly unbearably provocative since the spider battle, but Legolas was determined not to be drawn into a quarrel.  “I own I am happy to be the one carrying Todith’s message today,” he said pleasantly, feeling a twinge of satisfaction that his placid tone would probably annoy the other Elf.

“You must never have been in a town of Men or you would not be so pleased,” Tinár sniffed. “The place reeks, and the inhabitants are rude.”

Legolas shrugged and smiled blandly. “Then it is fortunate that Todith chose me rather than you.”

“Todith knows better than to waste his experienced warriors on messenger duty,” Tinár answered, a flash of satisfaction showing in his face before he turned and strolled away.

Tynd waited for him to get a distance away before murmuring, “That Elf has an ego big enough to trip a Mûmakil.”

Legolas laughed and picked up his bow.  “I will think of you washing dishes when I am in Esgaroth,” he said blithely and then trotted off toward where Beliond waited with their horses.  Legolas’s stallion, Pilin, was prancing nervously, evidently unhappy about being handled by Beliond.

“Has it occurred to you that this horse needs training?” Beliond asked irritably.

“He is fine with me,” Legolas answered cheerily and leapt onto Pilin’s back.  With a sour look, Beliond mounted his own horse and the two of them set off northeast toward Esgaroth. They rode in silence, which was fine with Legolas, and their course quickly took them out of the woods and into the grasslands that lay between them and Long Lake. At first, their ride was pleasant, for dew still sparkled like diamonds in the long grass that parted before them and made whispery sounds all around. The day soon grew warm, however, for the grass offered little protection from the sun as it began to climb higher into the summer sky.

Eventually, they saw a line of trees in the distance that signaled the presence of the Forest River, and in unspoken agreement, they rode toward it, intending to travel in its shelter along the southern edge of the river marshes that stretched eastward almost to the lake.  When they reached the trees, Beliond, who was in the lead, signaled a halt and they dismounted to let the horses rest.  Legolas patted Pilin affectionately on the neck and then went to sit next to Beliond in the shade.  He took a drink from his water skin.

“Tell me about Esgaroth,” Beliond said.

Legolas blinked.  “Have you never been there?” he asked cautiously. Eilian had told him that Beliond had been at Dagorlad. That meant he was at least as old as Thranduil.  Legolas found it almost unbelievable that someone could have lived near Esgaroth for so long and never visited. But then, to Legolas’s knowledge, his father had never been there either.

Beliond shook his head. “My duty has never taken me there, and I have had no wish to leave the forest when there was no pressing need.”

Legolas set about trying to describe the town he had seen seven years earlier.  “It is built on pylons in the lake,” he began.  “There is a bridge leading out to it with a guard station at this end. We will have to get permission to enter there.”

“Let me speak to the guards,” Beliond said firmly.  Legolas hesitated only a second before nodding.  He intended to carry out the task that Todith had given him on his own, but he did not see that it mattered who dealt with the guards.  “Will you be recognized in town?” Beliond asked.

Legolas frowned. He was beginning to worry that Beliond might try to keep him from delivering the message himself. “Calem, the town master might remember me,” he answered slowly, “although he also might not.  He and Beam both came to meet with my adar seven or eight years ago, and I was present for the reception.  And then I have a friend who would know me, and the friend’s family too, of course, but probably no one else.  The only other time I came to Esgaroth, I was with my adar’s steward, and the merchants thought I was one of his assistants.”

“That is good,” Beliond said and eyed him sternly.  “It would be unwise to reveal who you are needlessly.”  Legolas felt an immediate urge to announce himself at the guards’ station, but he repressed it as childish, and anyway, it sounded as if Beliond had accepted his need to see the town master, even if Calem did recognize him.

Beliond glanced at the sun. “We should be moving along if we are to deliver Todith’s message and return tonight.”  He climbed to his feet, with Legolas following. They called to the horses and were soon underway again.

By late morning, they had reached the point where the Forest River emptied into Long Lake and ridden across the narrow bridge to the north shore.   They dismounted at the guards’ hut at the western end of the wooden walkway that led out onto the lake and into the gates of the town.  Beliond approached, while Legolas lingered near the horses. “We have a message for the town master,” Beliond announced, and the guard seemed to accept this news calmly enough.

“You will have to leave your horses here,” he told them.  “Do not worry. I will look after them.”

Beliond shrugged. “They can look after themselves if you can keep the curious away.” The guard raised an eyebrow but Beliond did not see it, for he had already started across the walkway.  Legolas threw an apologetic glance at the guard and followed his keeper into Esgaroth.

The town gates decanted them onto a narrow wooden walkway, along which hurried several men and women whose booted footsteps echoed off the tall buildings on either side of them.  Beliond wasted no time in stopping a Man who was trying to skirt around them, obviously made nervous by the presence of Elves.

“Can you direct us to the Town Hall, good sir?” he asked, courteously enough.

The Man slid another step away from them and then pointed down the walkway.  “Go to the marketplace and turn right.  It’s the big building on the southwest corner of the square.”  Legolas could not repress a smile at the offended look on Beliond’s face as the Man hurried away from him and ducked around the corner of a building.

“Come,” Legolas said and steered Beliond toward the marketplace, which consisted of dozens of small boats moored at small docks in a central pond.  He was immediately slapped in the face by a wall of noise and the smell of inadequately washed Men. Beliond paused, seemed to brace himself, and then walked forward somewhat more slowly.  It was evidently a market day, for the place was thronged with people buying everything from vegetables to farm equipment.  Legolas let his eyes wander over the confusing scene before him, even as he kept his feet going in the direction the Man had indicated.  Beliond’s face was now impassive, and he ignored the curious stares that many of the townspeople were directing toward them.

When they came to a building that was obviously the Town Hall, they were stopped by a guard at the door. To Legolas’s relief, Beliond stepped back and let him speak. “I bring a message for the town’s master,” he told the guard, who was evidently more at ease with Elves than many of his fellow citizens and showed them into the large room. Two Men sat at a table at the far end, and Legolas recognized one of them as Calem, Beam’s father and master of the town of Esgaroth. The Men looked up as Legolas approached, and it was obvious to him immediately that Calem did not remember him.  That should make Beliond happy, he thought.

“Master,” he said, “I bring a message from Todith, captain of the warriors of the Woodland Realm.”  He pulled the folded parchment out of his belt and handed it to Calem, who had grimaced at the mention of Todith.  Calem unfolded the message, read it, and passed it to his companion. The two of them exchanged a look, and then Calem looked up at him and smiled blandly.

“Tell Todith that we will send him word within a few days,” he said.

Legolas eyed him carefully.  Years at his father’s court had taught him how to recognize when a petitioner was being fobbed off.  “My captain says he must have an answer today,” he told Calem and watched a slight tic jump just below the Man’s right eye.

“A few days will make no difference,” Calem argued.

“My captain said today,” Legolas repeated, trying to give the impression that he was not going to budge from the Hall until he had a satisfactory response.

Calem rubbed a hand over his face and sighed.  “Very well. Come back in two hours and we will have an answer for you.”  Legolas bowed, turned, and left the room, with Beliond on his heels.  The two of them walked a short distance toward the marketplace before Beliond spoke.

“He is putting us off,” he said in disgust.

“Yes,” Legolas agreed. “We will have to see what he has for us in two hours.”

“If he lets us into the Hall again,” Beliond grunted.

Legolas’s eyes slid over the busy marketplace in front of him and settled on a boat whose wares were glittering in the sunshine.  “In the meantime, I have some shopping to do,” he declared with satisfaction and plunged into the crowd.

Beliond hurried and caught up with him. “I am not sure this is wise,” he warned, looking around at the crowd that gave them plenty of room but nonetheless watched them with interest.

“You worry too much, Nana,” he said, and watched happily as Beliond flinched a little at the nickname with which Fóril had saddled him.

“Watch your mouth, youngling,” Beliond snarled, but he made no more protest.

With Beliond standing next to him constantly scanning the crowd, Legolas picked through the items on display. He paused to do a quick calculation.  How old would Nitha be now?  To his surprise, he realized that she would be about seventeen, an age that would make her a young lady among Men. The thought gave him pause, but he recovered and exchanged the enameled hair clasp shaped like a chattering squirrel for a pair of lady’s combs.

“What are you doing?” Beliond asked suddenly.

“Buying a gift for my friend Nitha.”  Legolas beckoned to the merchant who was hovering nearby.  “I will take these,” he said, holding up the combs, “and also this.” He picked up another item from the jeweler’s display.  The pleased looking merchant took the coins he offered and hastened to fetch change.  “I am going to visit her now,” Legolas told Beliond. “You do not have to come.”

“I do have to come,” Beliond shot back.

Legolas groaned inwardly.  Surely Beliond did not have to accompany him on a simple visit to an old friend.  In exasperation, he turned to face his keeper.  “Beliond, we are in Esgaroth, not the southern reaches of the realm.  I am carrying a bow, a sword, a knife, and a dagger, and I am going to visit a friend, not engage in battle. Just what is it you think will happen to me?  Surely, you are not responsible for watching me every minute of my life!”

Beliond smiled at him grimly.  “You may believe me when I tell you that the king made my responsibilities abundantly clear to me. I am charged with watching your back whenever you are on active duty which, at the moment, you are.”

Legolas made a frustrated gesture. “I trust you will not be offended if I do not invite you to accompany me into the house,” he said stiffly.

Beliond nodded.  “I can wait outside,” he said. “If we are to return to the Town Hall on time, you will not have time for a long visit at any rate.”

The merchant returned with Legolas’s change and two carefully wrapped packages. His transaction completed, Legolas looked around.  He was reasonably sure he remembered where Nitha lived and started in that direction.  With Beliond trailing behind him, he threaded his way through the crowd and then down a street and around a corner to stop in front of a large house.  He turned to Beliond. “This is where I am going.”  Beliond nodded and took up a post leaning against a wall across the street, from which vantage point he could see the door.  Legolas looked at him in exasperation and then turned to knock on the door.

After a moment, the door opened, and a tall, slim, exceptionally pretty blond maiden stood before him.  He hesitated uncertainly, for even though he had known she was now grown up, he still had not anticipated this shapely maid with her hair piled on top of her head.  He had evidently not changed much, however, for Nitha took one look at him and then gave a cry of delight.  “Legolas!” she exclaimed and hurled her arms around his neck.

“Hello, Nitha,” he said, suddenly shy.  He was pleased by her enthusiastic greeting, but did not quite know how to react to having her pressed even briefly against him.

“Come in!” she cried and drew him into the house, shutting the door behind him.

***

When Legolas emerged from the house half an hour later, Beliond quickly pushed himself away from the wall against which he was leaning.  “Did you have a good time waiting?” Legolas asked sweetly. He still had not forgiven his keeper for behaving as if he needed his hand held while on a simple visit to town that Thranduil’s steward made regularly.

Beliond glared at him. “What do you think you are doing?” he hissed.

Legolas stared at him.  Was Beliond unable to withstand a little well-deserved teasing?  “I am sorry if the wait seemed long, but I told you that you did not have to come.”

“I am not talking about my wait,” Beliond responded sharply. “I am talking about whatever it is you are doing with that woman!”

Legolas’s mouth dropped open as he processed the implications of what Beliond was saying.   The Elf thought he was courting Nitha.  “You are being ridiculous,” he exclaimed, suppressing all thoughts of his momentary reaction as the girl had hugged him.  “Nitha is my friend, nothing more.”

“She looked very friendly indeed. Does the king know you are seeing her?”

Legolas was suddenly speechless with anger at what sounded like an implied threat to report his actions to his father.  Unable to respond, he turned and started to stride in the direction of the Town Hall, but Beliond caught his arm.  They both waited as a woman walked past eyeing them curiously.

“Have you taken leave of your senses?” Beliond asked in a low voice.  “If you are only flirting, you could cause serious trouble between these Men and Thranduil. If you are more than flirting, then the consequences are unthinkable.”

Legolas jerked his arm free. “I am not going to explain my personal life to you,” he responded, his voice shaking with rage.  “Governing it is not part of your charge.”  He started toward the Town Hall again, and this time Beliond simply followed with his face grim.

When they reached the Town Hall, the guard showed them in immediately, and Calem and the second man were waiting for them.  Calem handed a sealed message to Legolas.  “Tell Todith that I regret the delay,” he said, and then sent them on their way.  Legolas was unable to tell whether the Men had given him the information that Todith wanted, but he could not very well ask and he decided that Todith would deal with the matter in his own time anyway.

He made his way back to the town gates and stalked across the bridge to where they had left their horses, refusing even to look at Beliond, much less speak to him.  As they reached the horses, however, Beliond again caught at his arm. “I have no intention of interfering in this matter, Legolas, and the king gave me instructions to ignore matters that did not relate to your safety, but I urge you again to think seriously about what you are doing.”  He looked earnestly into Legolas’s face.  “It is true that you are an adult now, but you are also away from home with no one to advise you.  I am trying to help you, young one.”  For a second more, he held Legolas’s arm and then he released it and mounted.  “We need to make speed if we are to be back before nightfall,” he said and urged his horse into a trot.

Legolas stared after him, suddenly doubtful of his right to be resentful.  With an annoyed sigh, he leapt onto Pilin’s back and followed Beliond.

They reached their campsite, just as the evening meal was being served.  Legolas handed over the message and waited to see if Todith had any questions for him. Looking up from the parchment, Todith made a disgusted face. “It seems our friends in Esgaroth have not yet been able to lay their hands on the two Men who cut the timber.”  He grimaced and then sighed. “Ithilden will have to be told.  He can decide what to do then.” He smiled at Legolas.  “I would not have your brother’s job for a sackful of Dwarven gold,” he said cheerfully, and sent Legolas off to eat.

From a pot over the fire, Legolas ladled stew into a bowl.  Then he hesitated for only a moment before going to sit next to Beliond who was by himself, eating.  The two of them ate in silence for a while.  Then Legolas drew a deep breath.

“Beliond, Nitha is not my sweetheart.  I called her my friend because that is what she is.  And perhaps it will please you to know that her mother was present during our entire visit today,” he added with a small smile. He glanced at Beliond who was watching him, his face unreadable.  “Nitha was a child the last time I saw her, but we have written to one another every few months over the years.  She is the daughter of the trade council president, and she and I . . .,” he paused, struggling to find the words to talk about an incident to which he seldom alluded.  “A number of years ago, a group of Easterlings took both Nitha and me as hostages.”

Beliond stirred. “I may have heard about that,” he said slowly.  “I had not realized that was you.”  He glanced at Legolas, who tried to make his face impassive but knew he probably was not succeeding.  “You escaped, did you not?”  Legolas nodded. “And what of the girl?” Beliond asked.

“I took her with me,” Legolas answered as briefly as he could.

Beliond looked thoughtfully at the fire.  “You could not have been much more than a child yourself.”

Legolas stiffened slightly. “It was at the end of my first year as a novice.”

Beliond smiled slightly, evidently amused by his defensive tone.  “You must have surprised the Easterlings, though, escaping from them and taking the girl with you.”  Legolas nodded, mollified by Beliond’s apparent approval.  His keeper turned to him. “I apologize for not believing you when you said the maiden was only a friend. I had no reason to doubt your word.”

Legolas blinked and then nodded in acceptance.  They ate the rest of their meal in silence.  As they were finishing, Galorion approached.  “You two can do cleanup tonight,” he said.  “You missed your turn this morning.”

Legolas opened his mouth to protest that Todith had sent them on an errand, but the lieutenant was gone and was unlikely to be sympathetic in any case.  He grimaced and then rose to begin gathering dirty dishes.  He glanced at Beliond when he, too, stood to begin cleanup work.  As he had on his first night in camp, he felt disturbed by the sight of the veteran warrior doing this menial task.

“I will wash up,” he said impulsively.

Beliond looked at him in surprise.  “Everyone shares in this sort of work, Legolas. I do not mind.”

“I do,” Legolas said briefly. “I will do it.”  He took the dishes that Beliond had been holding.  The older warrior looked at him for a moment and then smiled.

“Now who is Nana?” he asked and then winked and started toward their flet.

*******

AN:  The bridge at the mouth of the Forest River is my own creation.  We don’t really know much about what the river was like in the era in which my story is set.  In “The Hobbit,” Tolkien tells us that the marshes and river used to be narrower and easier to cross.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List