Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Letters Home  by Lindelea


Dear Dad,

I dashed this off over a dinner of mushrooms and such at F. Maggot’s. We are on our way to Crickhollow and the good farmer offered us supper and a ride to the Ferry. His taters don’t hold a candle to yours. I’ll send this off from Buckland.

Later,

We didn’t stay but the one night in Crickhollow, and Mr Frodo wanted to make an early start. Can’t say any more at present.

Yours afctnatly,
Samwise

***

Dear Dad,

We got a bit turned about and ended up lodging with this queer character, Tom something. He has quite the way with trees and growing things. I think you’d like him. There doesn’t seem to be any post from here, so will try to send this off later.

Later,

We met up with some shady characters who stole the shirts off our backs. I know you warned me about going outside the Shire but I never really knew what could happen…

Still later,

We are staying the night in Bree. Mr Merry has gone out to take the air, Mr Frodo and Mr Pippin went down to the common room for a pint and I’m just trying to finish this up.

Still later,

Have met this tall person they call Longshanks—I’d call him “Grubby” myself, but he’s that tall I won’t say anything to him. He seems to know all about Mr Frodo’s business. Nosy kind of fellow. Will close and send this off now. Best to Mari.

Yours afctnatly,
Samwise

***

Dear Dad,

Haven’t been able to send off any of my little notes. I don’t think much of the Mayor and his messenger service. Today we ran into some unpleasant chaps. Mr Frodo disappeared. Can’t say I blame him.

Grubby is travelling partway with us. Cannot tell you where we are going but it is someplace with elves. Mr Frodo is rather sick and tired of travelling. Can’t say but that I will be glad to get to where we’re going and turn around to come home again.

Later,

Found a jool on a bridge in the middle of nowhere today. Folk hereabouts are surely careless about their possessions. Seems clear to me they don’t have the sense to sew their valuables into their underwear as they ought.

Still later,

Those unpleasant chaps seem to be following us. Mr Frodo got into a game of follow-the-leader with them but after he crossed a river a flood came down and washed them away. Rivers is tricksy things, just like you’re always telling me. Hope we won’t see them again soon, nasty fellows they are with terrible breath.

Yours afctnatly,
Samwise





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List