Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Lost  by FirstMate

Chapter 2, Found

Hammond and his impatient "son" started out for the farm just before dawn.  The older ranger knew that Aragorn had not slept one wink the night before and decided that they might as well start on their way early since they were both wide awake.

They arrived the farm by mid-morning and were just walking up to the main house when Borgas came from around the back of one of the barns and greeted them.

"You're here early," he said.  "Must be anxious to get that food to your folks.  Ah...and this would be your son."

Hammond nodded his greeting and put a hand on Aragorn's shoulder, "Aye, this here is my boy.  Like I'd guessed, he was very excited about seeing your place today."

Borgas greeted Aragorn with a friendly grin, "Happy to have you look around, lad.  It's not every day we get a youngster interested in the way we run things.  I'll have Johar show you around," he finished, gesturing to a young guard that just joined the little group.

The next few hours passed with Hammond accompanying Borgas around to look at various different crops while Aragorn listened to Johar explaining the workings of the farm.  Despite the fact that he only listened to the recitation with half an ear while he searched in vain for the elven slave, Aragorn heard enough to realize that the business was impressively run.  Although no closer to finding his brother, he was deciding that the farm may be so productive simply because it was so well run, and not because there was something sinister going on like the rumors suggested.

By lunchtime, however, Aragorn was unable to concentrate at all on doing his job since he was nearly driven to distraction.  Even though he'd been to nearly every outbuilding and had seen dozens of slaves, he still hadn't seen the elf.  Hammond had warned him not to inquire about him, but he was determined that he would defy his leader if necessary if he didn't get satisfaction soon.

When everyone got back together for the midday meal, Hammond noted with amusement his younger friend's obvious state of mind.  He knew it had to be so hard for Aragorn to play the curious young farmer when all the while he was desperate to see the elf and while Hammond had thought that too much interest might look suspicious, he knew that he'd have to do something before Aragorn said something foolish.

"Friend Borgas," he said casually, to get the overseer's attention.  As the burly overseer looked over at him, the ranger found himself surprised that he was actually beginning to like the man.  He may be much too harsh to his slaves in Hammond's opinion, but other than that, he'd been a friendly and helpful host the entire day.  He continued, "I was wondering if I could ask you a favor.  I mentioned to my son, here, that you had an elven slave.  Since he's never seen an elf, he was most interested in getting a look at him, but I haven't seen him around today.  Would it be possible to bring him here so my son could go back and brag to his friends that he'd seen one?"

If Aragorn hadn't been so worried about the overseer's response, he would have been amused at Hammond's statement.  'Had never seen an elf, indeed!'  He held his breath while he waited for Borgas' answer.

"Ah...afraid we have a problem there.  He's locked up at the moment.  Punishment, you know, for yesterday's defiance.  I could take you to him, though, if you're that interested.  The slave barn is rather nasty, so it's up to you if you really want to go," was Borgas' answer.

Aragorn nodded, unable to speak as he tried to keep his expression one of interest rather than desperation.

Hammond answered for both of them, "We'd appreciate the look. Maybe after we finish lunch?"

"No problem," replied Borgas, digging into his lunch with gusto.

Hammond followed his lead, enjoying the well-laid table.  Aragorn tried to do so as well, but found that the food tasted like wood to him.  He did his best to appear nonchalant and relaxed, but the whole meal seemed eternal to him.  Inside he was so keyed up that he couldn't keep track of any of the conversation.  He wanted to see the elf now!  He wasn't naive--despite his initial optimism, he knew in reality that the chance the elf was Elrohir was slight, but even that small chance was driving Aragorn wild.  What was taking so long?!  Unable to eat anything else, Aragorn started to interrupt the discussions when he thought he couldn't wait another second, but a stern glare from Hammond cut him off.  He forced himself to calm down and at least pretend to sit patiently while the two older men talked about...whatever it was they were talking about.

Then, just when Aragorn thought that he would surely go mad, lunch was over and the small group headed to see the elf.  Finally!

Borgas led Hammond and Aragorn outside the main house, through the horse pastures and the animal pens, past the large fields of crops, and at last into a walled courtyard housing an enormous barn-like structure that was apparently the slaves' quarters.  As they walked inside, Aragorn's senses were overwhelmed as the stench of unwashed bodies and filth rolled over him.  Schooling himself not to gag, he breathed through his mouth and continued behind the others, his keen eyes taking in his surroundings.  It was beyond hot in the building, with only a few tiny windows near the roof letting in any fresh air.  He supposed that it was to prevent the slaves from escaping, but from what he had seen of the wretches, they didn't look like they had plans to run away.  They weren't chained, but their eyes told the story of men who had long ago stopped thinking of themselves as free men.

His gaze continued to take in the rest of the building as he walked behind the others.  There was no real furniture in the building, nor rooms, just several corridors with open stalls lining them.  Most of the stalls were empty since the slaves were out working in the fields.  The few that remained were ones who had duties closer to the main house, and thus could go to their quarters during their breaks.  They huddled in the stalls, some eating, some resting, and some talking softly amongst themselves.  Aragorn, for the life of him, couldn't understand why anyone would voluntarily come into this repugnant building.  And how could the rest of the farm be so pristine while this place was allowed to be revolting!?  This mystery was at least answered by Borgas' next statement.

"Like I told you, nasty place, huh?" said the overseer.  "We used to give the slaves time to keep it clean, but they don't want to do it.  Too many of them are lazy if they're not being made to work.  A pity, but since they're the ones that have to live in this filth, I don't bother myself with it much."

Continuing on through the large building, Aragorn took a deep breath and coughed as the stale air filled his lungs.  He didn't know how the slaves could even breathe in the oppressively hot building, but put them out of his thoughts as the overseer at last stopped in front of a stall that held a single slave.  It was instantly apparent that he was unlike the others.  First of all, he was alone and chained.  He was sitting against the wall with his knees to his chest, bound to the wall by a chain linking a metal cuff around his right ankle.  Secondly, he was far dirtier than any of the other slaves--grimy with torn clothes.  Finally, even though they couldn't see his face, the set of his shoulders radiated defiance, something that was lacking in the other slaves.  The man, or elf--Aragorn couldn't tell--had his head cradled on his arms, which were resting on his knees, but the tension in his body showed that he wasn't truly sleeping.  He did have dark hair, but Aragorn couldn't make out any other features since his face was buried under the tangled, matted hair.

Desperate to have a look, Aragorn approached, only to have the overseer snap loudly, "Don't get too close!  That one doesn't like to be touched!  He can be downright vicious if you're not careful."

Aragorn had stopped abruptly at the order, but kept his eyes before him. With the overseer's words, the chained figure had picked his head up for a moment to glare at the newcomers, and then dropped his head again in disinterest.  This short interaction was enough and Aragorn felt like crying in disappointment.   Against all reason, he had felt so sure that somehow the captive elf was going to be Elrohir. But the elf before him--and yes, Aragorn had seen the pointed ears when he'd moved--couldn't be his brother.  The face had been too filthy to make out any features, but Aragorn felt no connection with the figure in front of him and indeed, the elf apparently hadn't recognized Aragorn either.  More importantly, he just didn't 'feel' like Elrohir.  That...'something' that Aragorn always felt in the presence of his father or brothers just wasn't there.  No, there was nothing familiar about the hostile figure to recall the charming elf that was his brother.

Hammond, noting Aragorn's reaction wanted to sigh.  He'd grown to care for the spunky lad and had hoped somehow for a happy ending.  He was still determined, however, to do something for the unfortunate creature before him.  Even though the elf didn't appear to be the lost Elrohir, he just didn't belong chained up.  A firstborn bound into slavery was a mockery of all that was good and decent in the world and Hammond had to try to right the wrong.

"What's his name?" Hammond asked, breaking the silence.

"We call him 'Elf,'" cackled the overseer.  A dangerous look from Hammond made him add hastily however, "Uh...but his name is 'Dan.'  Strange name for an elf, don't you think?  But at least he answers to it."

Aragorn actually gasped out loud at the man's last sentence.  It was an odd name for an elf, in fact, not an elven name at all.  But 'Dan' was Elrohir's nickname for their brother and it was certainly not inconceivable that Elrohir would borrow that name if for some reason he didn't want to use his own.  Looking at the elf again with fresh eyes, Aragorn this time started to look for similarities between the elf and his brother rather than differences.  Same hair color, probably around the same height, same build, yes...the hands were the same too.  The body was thinner perhaps, but that could be accounted for by his captivity.  If only he could look into the elf's eyes.  Tense now as he knelt before the chained elf, he cautiously called out, "Elrohir?"  Getting no response, he tried again, "Dan?"

The elf slowly raised his head and looked at the young man kneeling on the ground.  The eyes held no recognition, only a wary dislike of the human before him.  He despised all humans and couldn't imagine why this one was bothering him.  After running through all the possibilities, he concluded that a strange young man talking to him probably meant trouble.  After directing a hate-filled glare at him, he shifted back further into the stall and put his head back down.

The quick look from the elf, however, had stunned Aragorn.  The elf may not have seemed to recognize his younger brother, but Aragorn knew without doubt that he recognized the elf chained before him.  He'd changed tremendously and apparently didn't know who Aragorn was, but it was Elrohir!

"Is he for sale?" was all Aragorn could croak out.  His mouth had dried up he began to shake with the suppressed desire to fling himself at his brother and never let him go.  He didn't know what to do.  If he showed how dear the elf was to him, he was afraid that the overseer would refuse to sell him out of sheer spite or maybe make the price so outrageous that they couldn't afford him.  He threw a pleading look at Hammond, hoping that the older ranger would read what was in his eyes and figure out a plan.

Hammond indeed saw the message that Aragorn sent him and hoped the young ranger would pull himself together quickly.  But before he could say anything, the overseer responded.

"I hadn't planned on it.  But given the right price, I'd be willing to consider a sale," he answered with a smile.

The older ranger wanted to sigh in disgust.  Obviously, the overseer had seen Aragorn's reaction to the elf and was going to drive a hard bargain.  Trying to lessen the damage from Aragorn's overeager behavior, he replied, "Well, I appreciate you showing us your elf, here, Borgas, but despite my son's interest, we really have no need for an elven slave.  Besides, I saw him yesterday--seems to be a real troublemaker.  I don't think we could use him," he finished and turned around as if to walk away.

"But..." began Aragorn, who was quickly silenced by a sharp frown from Hammond.

The overseer may have been uncultured, but he was a shrewd negotiator and noted with amusement the younger man's desperation to own the elf.  Recognizing the longing but misreading the cause, he decided to use the young man's desire to get a handsome price for the troublesome slave.

"Well....I think your lad here is not ready to walk away from a deal.  Are you, boy?" grinned Borgas.

With a look of exasperation at his young partner, Hammond turned back to the overseer and asked, "On the off-chance we were interested, what would you take for him?"

The ranger wanted to groan as he saw the cunning smirk on the overseer's face.  He knew that the price they'd have to pay would be outrageous.  He'd have to give Aragorn some lessons on never showing your hand in a negotiation like this.

Borgas knew he had the two men where he wanted them.  The younger one was visibly longing for that stupid elf and the older one seemed that he would eventually indulge his young son.  Thus, he grinned as he said, "100 silver pieces should just about do it."

Even Hammond had a hard time not reacting.  100 silver pieces--that was outrageous!  The usual price for a premium slave was barely 50.  Aragorn, finally learning his lesson, made no response, waiting for Hammond's next move.  Obviously, there was no way they could pay such a sum.  Even if all the rangers pooled together their money, they wouldn't even have half of that.

That thought was clearly in Hammond's mind as well as he answered, "Ridiculous!  No slave is worth that much."

"No human slave, I grant you," answered Borgas.  "But this is an elf. He works as hard as ten of the others and is immortal on top of it.  The way I see it, you'd be getting a bargain."

"Worth ten, perhaps, at times.  But you, yourself, said yesterday that he can be as troublesome as fifty.  That must be taken into account when setting a price," tried Hammond.

Borgas shook his head, "Like I said, I really had no intention of selling him.  So, if you want him, you'll have to meet my price.  100 silver pieces.  You can go back and think on it overnight.  This elf's not going to be going anywhere," he finished with a sharp kick at the slave's leg.

When Hammond agreed to think about the purchase and left the barn, Aragorn had to force himself to follow.  He had wanted to attack the overseer right then and there when he saw him so casually kick his brother.  But the odds were too great against the rangers and he had restrained himself with effort.  After a final look at the elf, he tore himself away and walked quickly after the others.  What was he going to do?  There was no way he'd have enough to pay to free his brother, but there was also no way he was going to let him remain a slave while he went back and got the funds from his family.  Even with all the grime covering his brother, he'd seen the scrapes and bruises that covered his body and could only imagine what additional ones were hiding under his clothes.  No...he couldn't leave him here for the months it would take to get home and then return with the necessary silver.

Aragorn heard the rest of the conversation between Hammond and Borgas without really listening.  His mind was racing through possibilities.  He would find some way to rescue his brother.  Period.  Failure was not an option.  Hmmm...maybe he could come back in the middle of the night, slip into the barn, and free him.  No...that wouldn't work.  The place was too well guarded and besides, it didn't look like Elrohir, even if they could somehow get the chain off of him without alerting the guards, would follow Aragorn willingly.  The look of hatred directed at his little brother was not one to inspire confidence in such a plan.

The determined ranger was distracted long enough from his thoughts to manage a polite goodbye and finally left the farm with Hammond.  He kept silent as long as he could, until they were at last away from any prying ears and he turned to his leader.

"That was Elrohir!  The elf...it was my brother!" said the agitated young man.

"So I guessed," answered an amused Hammond.  Aragorn couldn't have been more obvious.

"What can I do, Hammond?  I cannot leave him there.  Yet we clearly haven't the resources to buy him legitimately.  But...I cannot leave him there!" said the increasingly disturbed Aragorn.

"Easy, lad," admonished Hammond.  "I didn't say we would leave him.  We'll talk to the others tonight and discuss what can be done."

He paused a moment before continuing, "Uh...Aragorn...there's something that needs to be clear, though."

Aragorn looked at Hammond warily.  If he was going to say that they might not be able to rescue Elrohir....

The older ranger continued, "Your brother...well, I did notice that he didn't exactly seem overjoyed to see you.  Once we get him out of there, and I promise you we will find a way, you must be prepared to face the fact that something is terribly wrong with him."

Was that all?  Aragorn smiled in relief, "Aye, Hammond, I certainly realized that.  He is so changed that I didn't even recognize him at first.  Something clearly has happened to him.  But my father is the greatest healer in Middle Earth.  If anyone can help Elrohir, it would be him.  All I have to do now is to get him home."

The two rangers walked the rest of the way back to the village in companionable silence.  Both were trying to come up with ways to come up with enough money to free Elrohir, but both were having equally poor luck in thinking of a solution.

That night at the inn, the entire group was having no easier a time in coming up with rescue plans.  Ideas were discussed and dropped, one by one, until finally Aragorn went up to his room just to escape the frustration.  Then, as he sat on his bed staring unseeing at his pack, a solution came to him suddenly.  One that was so simple, that he was amazed that he hadn't seen it earlier.  Smiling in relief, he allowed himself to fall asleep so that he could slip out early to go back and collect his brother!

-----------------------------

Well before first light, Aragorn got dressed and silently slipped out of the inn.  He made sure not to wake any of his companions.  He didn't know what they would say about his solution, and he wasn't about to take the chance that they would try to dissuade him.  Avoiding the town sentries and the night watchmen, he made his way out of the village and arrived at the farm just at the sun peeked over the mountain.

He was brought inside the house by a couple of the guards, who presented him to Borgas and then left them alone.  Borgas was just sitting down to breakfast, and motioned for Aragorn to join him.

"Didn't expect you quite so early, lad.  You must have an interesting offer for me to arrive at this hour and without your father," said the overseer wryly.

"Aye," said Aragorn, a bit hesitantly.  Now that he was about to put his decision into motion, he paused.  Not because he was changing his mind, but because he was afraid that even this wouldn't work and he'd be unable to free his brother.  Anxious to see it through, however, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small pouch.  He handed it over to Borgas without further word.

The burly man opened the pouch and dropped its contents into his hand and involuntarily gasped.  It was a stunning cloak clasp, made of mithral and clearly priceless.

"I haven't enough silver pieces, but would you take this for the elf?" asked Aragorn.

The overseer was a contrast of characters--true, he was violent and brutal in some circumstances, but he lived according to a certain code and found himself unable to simply accept the young man's offer.  He hadn't been above making some extra money for his lord by using the young man's desire for the elf to squeeze out some more silver.  However, he had to protest in all fairness to the offer of the mithral pin.  It could have easily paid for dozens of slaves.

"Lad," stated Borgas once he found his breath.  "Indeed you've brought me an interesting offer, but I need to make sure you know what you're giving up.  This brooch here, I'm forced to say, is far more valuable than the slave.  Are you certain you wish to trade?"

Aragorn relaxed a bit.  If the overseer hadn't been interested in the clasp, he'd have said so up front.  If his only objections were that the trade wouldn't be fair, he'd just have to convince him that he would be content with his part of the bargain.

"I thank you for your concern, but I've decided that I wish to purchase the elven slave, even if the cost is dear.  And while I cannot give you the price you named in silver, I believe that this offer would satisfy both our needs.  To me, the elf is of far more value than the brooch," Aragorn stated truthfully.

"Would your father agree?" Borgas continued.  While he was a strong man himself, he had no wish to battle the lad's tough-looking father.

Aragorn smiled, "No worries there.  The clasp is mine to do with as I wish.  And…I wish to trade it for the elf.  Do we have a bargain?"

With one more look at the jewel in his hands, Borgas nodded.  He knew that Lord Hebert would be quite satisfied to have the lovely brooch in exchange for the hard-working, although often difficult, slave.  "We have a deal," he said, reaching over to the young man to shake hands.

Aragorn sat impatiently as Borgas finished his breakfast.  The overseer had offered him a plate as well, but he just didn't have an appetite, so anxious he was to once more see his brother.  In short order the meal was ended, and the two made their way back to the slave quarters.

There were many more slaves in the barn than the previous day.  It was still quite early and most of them hadn't yet left for their daily tasks.  Aragorn didn't take note of them, however.  He didn't even notice the stench or the suffocating air this time.  All he was conscious of was the stall at the end of the second row.  The one that held his brother.

Borgas shook his head at the lad's single-minded focus on the elf.  Finally putting aside any feelings of guilt for the unequal trade, he decided to amuse himself at the expense of the young man.  "So, lad, what is it about this one that's captured your eye?  I don't go in for those pursuits myself, but I can see how this one would interest you.  Ha!  I've seen his stamina as a worker--I suppose it could be useful fulfilling in other...'duties' as well."

Aragorn bit off any response.  He briefly considered decking the man and shutting him up, but decided that was a bad idea...he didn't want to give the man any excuse for backing out of the deal.  However he wished the lout would keep his mouth shut!  They were now standing in front of Elrohir and he didn't want his brother to get the wrong idea about his intentions before he could reassure him.

The boorish man continued, however.  "Aye," he said as he looked at the elf consideringly.  "I suppose cleaned up he'd be right fair.  You're going to have a time with him, though, lad.  Like I warned you yesterday, this one is skittish about being touched."

Aragorn was watching Elrohir as the man talked.  The elf had been wide awake when they approached and was now glaring at them both with renewed hatred.  Desperate to distract his brother from the overseer's words, Aragorn spoke to him kindly, "Hello, Dan.  I am pleased to see you again.  I have just arranged to...uh...take you away from here and would like you to accompany me now.  Do you understand?"

The elf's expression, if anything, became even more hostile.  He said nothing, however.

"I will not hurt you, I promise," said Aragorn earnestly, willing Elrohir to understand that he was trying to free him.  "Will you let me unlock the chain?"

The elf, however, scooted back farther into his stall and still said nothing.

"Don't bother trying to get him to say anything," said Borgas, surprising Aragorn who had honestly forgotten his presence for a moment.  "Hasn't said a word since he got here. The men who sold him to us said the only thing they'd heard him say was 'Dan,' so that's what they called him.  Figured that must be his name--at any rate he answers to it."

Not allowing this latest bit of distressing news disturb him, Aragorn concentrated on figuring out how to get his brother out of the stall without alarming him unnecessarily.  From the hostility radiating from the elf, it was clear that he was not taking the news of his sale to Aragorn as a good thing.  He slowly approached him, but then stopped when Elrohir scrambled to his feet and pressed back against the wall.  Slowly moving forward again, he once more stopped when the elf tried to run past him, only to be stopped short by the ankle cuff binding him to the wall.  His brother fell on his hands and knees, and then once more sprang to his feet, warily regarding the approaching human.  Aragorn didn't quite know what to do next...this wasn't going well!

Borgas snorted and before Aragorn knew what he was doing or could even think to stop him, the strong overseer had moved passed him, shoved Elrohir to the ground, and pinned him there with a knee to his back.  Roughly lashing his hands behind his back with some stout leather laces, he turned to the astonished Aragorn and said, "This is the only way to do it, boy.  He won't abide being touched, so you just have to force him.  Now, while I've got him pinned, you unlock the chain.  He tossed a key to Aragorn, who quickly went forward to comply.

Keeping a wary eye on the elf who was desperately trying to get up, he knelt down and grabbed his right foot.  The affect was instantaneous!  The elf kicked out violently, catching Aragorn in the knee.  He ended up on his backside on the floor...something that did not set well with the young ranger.  Hissing in annoyance, he got up again and this time simply sat on Elrohir's legs while he unlocked the metal cuff.  That task completed, he nodded at Borgas, who had continued to pin Elrohir down with his knee the whole time.  The two of them got up at the same time and stepped back as the elf twisted onto his back and then sprang once more to his feet.  He was breathing raggedly as he faced the pair and as Aragorn saw the wild expression the elf was sporting, he found himself glad that his brother's hands were still tied.

Borgas looked at the young man and his newly acquired slave and rolled his eyes.  He was beginning to think that the youngster was in way over his head and had no idea of how to handle the unruly elf.  He hoped the lad wasn't regretting his purchase, but then was surprised when the young man grabbed a rope that was hanging on the wall of the stall and expertly made a loop.  Casually, he twirled it in the air and it fell neatly over the elf's head.  A quick tug tightened it around his neck, to the surprise of both Borgas and Elrohir.  It wasn't tight enough to choke the elf, but just enough that it would give Aragorn control if there were any difficulties.

Aragorn turned to Borgas with a wry grin. "Would you mind including this rope in our agreement?" he asked.  "I think I'll need this in order to bring him home."

"It's yours," answered the amused overseer.  Maybe the lad would be able to have his fun with the elf after all.

Borgas was surprised again when the young man made another request, "Could I speak to him alone, for a moment, please?"

*Couldn't wait to get his hands on the elf, huh,* thought the overseer with a snort, but for once he didn't voice his thoughts out loud and with a nod, left them alone.

Aragorn approached his brother slowly.  The elf was clearly upset from being manhandled earlier and from having a noose around his neck.  He didn't want to spook him any farther.

Elrohir tried to back away, but found that the rope around his neck kept him from getting too far.  Unwilling to choke himself, he had to let the human come far closer than he liked.

Speaking quickly and softly so no one else would hear, Aragorn addressed his brother, "Don't be afraid. I meant what I said earlier.  I'm not going to hurt you."  He looked around to ensure no one else could hear and then continued, "I don't want Borgas to know, but I'm not buying you to keep you as a slave...I'm going to set you free.  Do you not remember me?  I'm your brother, Estel.  And your name is Elrohir.  Do you remember?"

When the distrust and hatred in his brother's eyes didn't lessen, Aragorn kept talking, "I don't know how you came to be here, but I assure you I would have come earlier if I'd known you were here.  And Elladan, surely you remember him?  He would have been here as well.  He's never stopped looking for you, you know.  Not for one minute!  Please come with me and we will find him.  I promise.  Just trust me!"

The young elf didn't know what to think.  What was this human saying?  Who was this Elladan?  And who was Elrohir or Estel for that matter?  His thoughts floated as always--one minute clear and then the next hazy.  Well, he did know that trusting men was never a good idea, so with that one thought fixed in his mind, he pulled away as far as he could without completely strangling himself.

Aragorn sighed.  Would nothing get through to the elf?  He was startled when a hand was placed on his shoulder.  He spun around, only to see that it was just Borgas, returning.

"Well, ye've bought yourself a fine slave, boy," he said.  "I have to say I'll miss his strong back, but I won't miss his violent temper too much.  Heh, heh.  You sure you can handle him?" smirked the overseer.  He laughed as he pictured the young man trying to have his way with this particular hellion.  His private little talk had obviously not made things any easier between the two.

"I will cope, thank you," answered Aragorn with as much dignity as he could manage.

He pulled gently on the rope around Elrohir's neck and softly urged, "Come along, Dan. Let us leave this place.”


Elrohir, however, had other ideas.  Glaring at his new "master," the stubborn elf decided he wasn't going to go.  He didn't believe for one minute that he was his brother--after all, he was an elf and the young man was...well, a young man--and he was sure that he didn't want to find out just what this lying human wanted him for.  Especially since he'd heard what 'duties' the overseer was implying that his new master had in store for him.  He'd take long hours, scant food, and beatings any day before he'd submit to that!  He hated where he was, but in a bizarre sort of way, it was safe compared to what awaited him with this human.  As he pulled back on the ropes, he shook his head in frustration.  He was getting that dizzy feeling again that always came when he tried to think for himself.  It was only with determination that he managed to keep a clear enough head to fight against the man trying to pull him into unknown peril.

The tug of war finally ended when the rope slipped through Aragorn's hands and both he and Elrohir ended up on the ground.

Loud guffaws from the overseer caused Aragorn to clench his fists in anger.  Standing back up, he once more grabbed the rope and said, more forcefully this time, "Let's go. Now."

But his brother still had other ideas.  Instead of pulling, however, he simply stayed on the ground, forcing Aragorn to grind his teeth in frustration as he once more ended up falling in the dirt on his backside.  How was he going to get Elrohir out of here without choking the foolish elf?!

The overseer, still laughing, unexpectedly came to his aid.  Before Aragorn knew what was happening, the brawny man trapped Elrohir in a headlock and forced something into his mouth.  Within seconds, Elrohir stopped fighting and the overseer released him with relish.

"I should've done this earlier, but I have to say I was enjoying the show," he said with a grin.  "Guess you'll need this to control him," continued the overseer, throwing a pouch to Aragorn.

Aragorn caught the small bag and peered inside, smelling a potent mixture of herbs.  "What is it?" he asked, noting with some alarm that Elrohir hadn't moved any further.  He was just sitting with a blank expression on his face.

"Don't rightly know--we got it from the men who sold him to us.  They said that it made him behave and they weren't lying.  It wears off after awhile, but it surely has come in handy when the elf gets too violent.  Keeps him harmless and respectful, as you can see," he added, gesturing to the now-calm elf.  "Still won't tolerate being touched, mind you, but his reactions are real slow the first few weeks.  Gives you a chance to train him for his new...'duties'...if you know what I mean."

*The first few weeks!* thought Aragorn.  "How long does it take to wear off?" he asked, ignoring once again the boorish man's implications.  He was thankful that he wouldn't be fighting Elrohir to get him out of there, but mostly he felt outrage that he'd let his brother be drugged right in front of him!

"Depends," was the unhelpful answer.  "As little as three months and as many as six.  That's the longest we've gone before giving him more.  Ah...don't worry.  He was due some more anyway.  It's been awhile and besides, he always needs it after a beating.  Tends to get real feisty after 'em."

Aragorn suddenly felt sick.  Was that why his brother was acting so strangely?  Because he'd already been drugged?  But now he'd been given a fresh dose and wouldn't free for...what did the man say?  Three months?  Maybe six?!  And how many times had Elrohir been beaten?  He knew it was a reality of slavery, but somehow to hear the overseer casually talk about beating his brother made him ill.  Feeling out of his depth, he struggled for something to say.  Finally, he decided he just wanted to get out of there.

"Well, thank you for your help," Aragorn murmured.  Tucking the bag into his pouch, he nodded a goodbye to the overseer, afterwards ignoring him completely as the offensive man backed off after a final leer and an "Enjoy yourself!"

Aragorn walked over to Elrohir.   Feeling the overwhelming need to just get out of there, Aragorn picked up the rope tying his brother once more and said quietly, "Let's go, Elrohir," forgetting in his distress to hide his brother's real name. He needn't have worried, though.  The overseer was content with the payment he'd received for the elf, and was honestly glad to see the last of the troublesome slave.  He could care less what the young man called his new pet.  And as for Elrohir, he was lost in a drug-induced world of confusion and didn't even register his new name as he followed his new master complacently.

------------------------

Aragorn met Hammond and the other rangers just on the outskirts of the farm.  They had obviously followed him as soon as they'd awoken and found the young man missing.  He noted that they all seemed a bit angry with him, but decided that he had enough to worry about to be too concerned that he'd upset his companions.  Aragorn looked back at Elrohir, still connected to him by the rope around his neck.  He'd eventually undo it, but wanted to be sure the elf wouldn't take off the moment he untied him.  He sighed...he knew his fellow rangers would be wanting answers, and soon.

That "soon" came earlier than he'd hoped, though, when he heard Hammond speak.

"Well, lad, I see you were successful, but I'd interested in finding out just how you pulled it off," said Hammond a bit tightly.  He didn't like the idea of his rangers slipping off in the middle of the night without telling him what they were doing.  When he'd seen the empty bed this morning, he'd feared the young man had done something foolish and had gone to take his brother away by force--something that could easily have gotten him killed.  Although he was greatly relieved to see the young ranger still intact, he wanted answers as to why he'd gone off on his own.

"I did what I had to do, Hammond.  I had to get my brother out of there," Aragorn said a trifle defiantly.

"And just how did you do that?  What did you promise in exchange?" continued Hammond.

"Nothing that wasn't mine to give," was the more defiant response.

"Speak clearly, young ranger.  What did you bargain away for the elf?" asked Hammond, clearing becoming more irritated.

"It is not your concern.  I have not harmed our mission," Aragorn answered, even more belligerently.

"Aragorn, I expect my men to answer when asked a question.  If you wish to remain one of my men..." warned the increasingly annoyed ranger.

"My cloak pin, if you must know," the young ranger finally confessed a bit angrily.  "Why do you care?!"

"Aragorn..." broke in Tolan, warningly.  He liked the spunk of the young man a lot, but there was no reason for his current attitude.

Aragorn turned from Hammond and looked at his friend.  "Bull, I don't mean to be short tempered.  It's just that...I had to get him out of there and I wasn't sure that you all would approve of my choice.  But it was my choice," he explained with a tight jaw.

Hammond spoke in response, "No need to ruffle your feathers at us, young rooster!  No one said anything about you leaving your brother there.  I am simply not pleased that you chose to do it alone.  When you're part of a team, we work as a team and you need to let us know when you have a plan.  How else can we help you?" he finished a bit softer.

Aragorn looked down in chagrin.  No...he probably shouldn't have gone off alone.  He really hadn't been thinking clearly from the first moment that Hammond had mentioned seeing an elf.

"I apologize," he said to his leader.  Then he looked at the rest of the group, "I apologize to all of you.  I...I just could not leave him there.  You saw what it was like," he added, looking at Hammond and Tolan.  He continued, "And I thought that you might try to stop me from offering my pin.  I do realize its value.  But...you must know that Elrohir is worth far more to me.  I didn't want you telling me it was a foolish choice.  But I am sorry that I worried you," he finished.

Tolan put his hand on Aragorn's shoulder and the young man was pleased to see the irritation fade from the rest of the group.  He really hadn't meant to get them all angry.

"Alright, lad," said Hammond.  "I do understand...but don't go off on your own like that again, huh?  Now, how about we get this brother of yours back to the inn and figure out what we're going to do with him."

The five rangers and one scruffy elven slave made their way back to the inn.  Knowing that the rest of the rangers would help track down Elrohir if he tried to escape, Aragorn finally removed the rope from around his neck and also untied his hands, carefully avoiding touching him.  There were no problems with the elf, however.  The drugs worked exactly as advertised and he remained compliant and obedient.  The only minor problem occurred when Ben, who hadn't heard the warning not to touch the elf, tapped him on the shoulder in an attempt to get his attention.  He only meant to be friendly and ask him a question, but the elf had exploded into action and before the unsuspecting ranger knew what was happening, he found himself flat on his back, looking into the eyes of a very wild-looking elf.

Fortunately for all concerned, before the other rangers had a chance to attack Elrohir and rescue their companion, the elf backed off from Ben and once more stood quietly.  Ben cautiously got up and brushed himself off.  He hadn't been hurt...really only surprised.  The rangers regarded Elrohir a bit warily, but he once again had an unfocused look and did their bidding without problem.  Still, it had been made perfectly clear that the elf was not to be touched!  With this new rule firmly established, the rangers set off for the village again and the rest of the trip to the inn passed without incident.

The next little obstacle came after the rangers had safely managed to get Elrohir to the inn.  It was lunchtime and everyone was ready for the noon-day meal, but were uncertain about what to do with the elf.  There were no social taboos against having a slave in the inn or eating with them, but they didn't know how he would react to the close, cramped room.  It was easy to imagine someone brushing up against him accidentally and setting off an unwanted brawl.  After a short debate, Aragorn arranged to bring his meal along with Elrohir's up to their room while the rest of the rangers ate below.

Alone at last in the large room the rangers shared, Aragorn finally allowed himself to fully appreciate that he had rescued his brother.  Smiling at the elf sitting on a chair as he'd been directed, Aragorn set the food out on the room's small table.  Next, he looked around the room, finally spying what he was searching for--a large pitcher of water sitting next to a chipped earthenware basin.  He poured some water into the basin and washed his face and hands, feeling quite refreshed by the cool water.

"Elrohir, would you like to come wash up?" he asked, looking forward to seeing his brother's face finally without all that grime, but the elf didn't make a move toward the water.

Surprised, the ranger tried ordering him, "Elrohir, come wash your face and hands before we eat."

When there was still no response, the mildly annoyed young man grabbed a towel, wet it, and walked over to where Elrohir sat without expression.  "Very well.  Just hold still while I get some of this grime off of you," he said patiently.

At the first touch, however, the dazed look left the elf's eyes and he jerked away while at the same time knocking Aragorn to the floor.  The suddenness of the attack surprised the ranger and he cursed as he got to his feet.  So...the overseer wasn't exaggerating about him not liking being touched.  Even when he was warned, the elf reacted badly.

"Ro, would you just wash up?" asked the exasperated young man as he got up off the floor.  "You're filthy!"

The elf picked up the towel from where it had fallen, but instead of using it, calmly folded it back up and laid it near the basin.  Obviously, he had no intention of using it at all.

At least temporarily admitting defeat, Aragorn grumbled, "Well, if you can be comfortable under all that dirt, I will just have to accept it for now.  Come eat."

So saying, the ranger sat down and Elrohir, once again compliant, joined him for their first meal together in years.

------------------------

The rest of the day fortunately passed without incident.  Elrohir was kept in the rangers' room and after the group had eaten lunch, they had joined Aragorn up in the room to discuss plans.

After much debate, Aragorn finally announced, "I wish to take him home."  It was evening now, and he had been thinking all day about what to do, but he had finally decided he had to go home.  First of all, he needed to see if his father could cure whatever had made Elrohir act so strangely, but more than that, he knew that his family would never forgive him if he didn't bring back his brother as soon as possible.  He fretted a bit because he knew that the rangers still had a mission to complete, but he hoped that Hammond would understand his responsibility to his family as well.

Hammond nodded at the young ranger's words.  He'd expected the request and had already decided that Aragorn should take his brother back to Rivendell.  "Aye, lad, he needs to be with his family," he said, smiling at the profound relief the young man displayed at his words.

"Do you think you can handle him?" Tolan asked.  The elf was a confusing mixture of docility and savage violence.  Although Aragorn was a strong young man, the elf would surely be able to overcome him if he was allowed to get the upper hand.

Aragorn reflected for a moment.  It was true that Elrohir had been quite violent at times, but it was never unprovoked.  If he simply kept his distance from the skittish elf, he'd be able to keep them both safe for the time being.  And besides, Elladan was somewhere in the near vicinity.  He'd been following a lead just to the south of where Aragorn and the rangers were headed.  If Aragorn could get him a message, he knew that his older brother would be there to help in no time.

He stayed with the rangers for couple more days as he made arrangements to head home.  With the great distance they'd have to travel, it would take several months before they reached Rivendell and he needed to be prepared.  He purchased some provisions for the barren countryside they'd have to cross at the start of their trip, replenished his healing kit, and also made arrangements to have a message sent to Elladan.  He debated what to say in the message, but finally settled for a simple request for his brother to come help him with something, keeping the "something" a secret for now.  Then, three days after he had freed Elrohir, the two left the village and started the long journey home.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List