Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Lost  by FirstMate

Chapter 7, Returning Home

The young lords of Rivendell stayed for well over two weeks in the small clearing next to where Elrohir had been found.  It was far from being an ideal campsite--it was too close to a game path, there was inadequate shelter from the elements, and the little clearing was much too small for the three of them to set up a proper camp.  But there was no mention made of moving.  Elladan and Aragorn’s thoughts were only on caring for their brother while Elrohir, of course, was in no shape to do anything but lay there and accept their care.

The first few days after the brothers found Elrohir were mind-numbing, exhausting, tortuous days that tried the soul.  Elrohir tossed restlessly in agony, but would simply not allow his brothers to ease his pains with any of their soothing herbs.  Nothing they said could convince him to take the potion that they prepared over and over as they tried to reassure him of its innocent affects.  Only when from time to time the obstinate elf would fall into an exhausted sleep could his two brothers take a break from the constant care he required.  Even so, their nerves were raw with the helpless knowledge that they were unable to properly aid their brother.

“Elladan, I do not know if I can take this much longer,” said Aragorn in a low tone after a particularly frustrating episode with Elrohir.  “Not only does it hurt me inside to see him in such a state, but you must realize that Elrohir cannot heal properly when he is allowed no relief from his pain.  We must convince him to take something.”

Lord Elrond’s eldest son regarded his human brother with a troubled expression.  Elladan also knew that the healing power of the elves required an intricate weave between physical and spiritual healing.  If proper balance were not achieved between the two, it would be a much, much harder road to recovery for his twin.  He saw his brother’s energy fading almost in front of his eyes as he chose to endure constant pain in silence, not allowing his spirit any sense of peace or well-being.  Elladan wasn’t sure how much more his brother could take and agreed with Estel that somehow this had to stop, but he was still unwilling to force Elrohir to take the much-needed herbal tea.

He looked over at his twin, who was thankfully sleeping at the moment.  What would their father do?  Would he force Elrohir to take it anyway?  Sometimes a healer had to do things for a patient that were in their best interest, even if they protested.  But this was different.  Given Elrohir’s experiences, Elladan just couldn’t force him to take a mind-numbing drug.  That would be too much like his days as a slave when he had no control over his life and could trust no one.  In his heart, Elladan knew that forcing his twin to take the tea would destroy the fragile relationship the three had been building, something he just wouldn’t do.  So slowly, he shook his head despondently.

“We must give him more time, Estel,” Elladan told his brother.  “He will eventually come to trust us and perhaps then we can convince him, but for now we will just have to do the best we can without it.”

“But Elladan,” protested Aragorn, “he needs it now.  I fear he will not heal properly, or perhaps not at all, if he does not get rest.  You must realize that he has grown weaker rather than stronger.”

“I know,” Elladan said grimly.  “But we will wait.”

Aragorn turned from his brother in exasperation with a touch of anger.  He was afraid that he’d say something he’d regret if he continued, so he clamped his lips shut in frustration.  He understood what Elladan was saying, but didn’t agree at all with his decision to wait.  Elrohir certainly wasn’t in the right frame of mind to make the final decision to not take the tea.  After all his experiences, he just didn’t know what was best for him.  And Elladan…well, Elladan was simply too close to his twin to see things clearly.  They were making the wrong decision, and Aragorn was getting angry that he couldn’t do anything about it.  However, despite what he thought about their choice, he wasn’t ready to go against them both and force Elrohir anyway.  Finally, he just walked away from the discussion rather than risk getting in to a fight with Elladan.  It was a tense and unhappy camp the rest of the evening as the brothers avoided each other and finally went to bed.

--------------------------

The following day dawned bright and clear.  It was the kind of day that all three of them usually loved, but this time it followed a long, sleepless night and none of them was in the mood to enjoy the lovely morning.  After much reflection, however, Aragorn had finally decided to accept the twin’s decision with grace and went about his morning chores in a much better frame of mind than when he’d gone to bed.  After greeting Elladan pleasantly, he went over to Elrohir to see to his needs. 

He had a hard time not saying anything when he saw the young elf.  Elrohir was lying there, completely spent, lines of pain etched in his face, looking so wrung out that he seemed barely able to follow Aragorn’s progress with his eyes.

Forcing himself to appear more cheerful than he felt, Aragorn addressed his brother, “Good morning.”  Not getting a response, he continued, “How are you feeling?”  This was more to make conversation than to determine his brother’s state.  It was clear that Elrohir had had a bad night.

Elrohir focused his attention on his brother, hoping against hope that it wasn’t time to change the bandages on his hands again.  He understood the need--burns were a tricky injury that required meticulous care to prevent infection.  But understanding the necessity didn’t mean that it wouldn't hurt just as much.  Estel’s next words crushed his hopes, however.

“It’s time to see to those hands again,” Aragorn said lightly.  “Would you like something to eat first or perhaps to drink?”

Aragorn looked hopefully at his brother, but was disappointed when Elrohir shook his head.  The ranger sighed deeply.  Elrohir had eaten nothing since his injury and wouldn’t take much to drink either.  Just one more indication of how his injuries were draining him.  If only he’d allow them to treat him properly!

Knowing better to begin that fight again, though, Aragorn said, “Very well.  Then I had better start.”

As Aragorn took the first of Elrohir’s hands, the elf tried to pull it away weakly.  Oh please!  He wasn’t ready to have the bandages changed again.  That always caused the pain to increase tenfold and he just couldn’t face that right now.  Not now.  Maybe after awhile when he’d had a chance to rest, but not now.  “No.  Not yet,” he protested in quiet desperation.

The ranger looked at his brother in sympathy, “Elrohir, I know this is unpleasant, but it must be done.”

Unpleasant!  Too tired to even glare at his brother for that incredible understatement, Elrohir tried again unsuccessfully to pull his hand away.  “No, not now,” he whispered pleadingly.  “Later.”

Aragorn looked helplessly at their older brother who was watching silently.  The bandages had to be changed, but the young ranger’s nerves were frayed after days of worrying and he wasn’t sure he could go through the session of hurting his brother while he was protesting.  “Help,” he mouthed wordlessly to Elladan.

Elladan rubbed his eyes wearily.  He had barely slept at all in the past several days and the few hours he did get clearly weren’t enough.  He was so exhausted that he was having a hard time figuring out what needed to be done.  But he knew this couldn’t continue.  Somehow, he’d have to get through to his twin--for all their sakes.  Taking a deep breath and then letting it out slowly, he walked over to his brothers and then knelt down next to them, placing one hand on Elrohir's shoulder.

“Elrohir,” he said quietly, “This has to stop.  You must let us help you properly and that means taking Ada’s tea.  I understand why you protest against it.  I promise I do.  But you must understand that we are not trying to harm you.  The tea will only aid in your healing as you will be able to rest without pain.  We can change the bandages and you will hardly feel it.  Does that not sound wonderful?  We can prepare some right now if you will agree to take it…..please say yes.”

The wounded elf closed his eyes tightly as he turned his head away.  Oh, how tempting it was to give in and find an escape from the pain.  He couldn’t imagine anything more heavenly than to slip into a painless oblivion.  But…but to be honest he was scared.  He was scared that he’d lose control of his thoughts and would be forced back into that world of confusion where he’d have to fight once more the nightmare unrealities that invaded his thoughts.  Ever since he’d been burned, his mind had been miraculously clear.  Being able to think clearly was such a priceless gift that he was unwilling to risk losing it.  No.  Enticing as it was, he just couldn’t allow himself to be drugged again.  Chancing a glance at his brothers, he was sorry to see the misery on both their faces, but couldn’t say yes.  He hoped they’d understand, but finally whispered, “No.  I cannot.  I am sorry.”

Aragorn slumped in disappointment and misery.  So…they’d have to go through the ritual of changing the bandages again while trying to ignore just how much torment they were adding to the already weak and pain-wracked elf.  If he’d thought it was proper for rangers to cry, he’d have done so right then, so heartsick was he.

Elladan, however, wasn’t ready to give up.  This time, somehow, he’d find a way to get through.  Elrohir wasn’t the only twin known for stubbornness!

“Elrohir,” he said cupping his brother’s face in his hands and forcing him to look in his eyes.  “You must hear me.”  When he could see that he had Elrohir’s full attention, he continued earnestly.  “Brother, know that I love you.  There is nothing in Arda I would not do to care for you.  No foe I would not fight to keep you safe.  No joy that I would deny you.  And there is nothing I would ever knowingly do to harm you.  This tea that we wish you to drink, I will be honest, will affect your senses.  Things will seem somewhat out of focus and a bit dull.  But that is all it will do to your thoughts.  It will not distort reality so you cannot trust your senses.  It will not create visions to haunt you.  And besides, it will only last a few hours.  But those hours will allow you to rest peacefully and regain your strength.  Elrohir, it will take away the pain.”

He saw that Elrohir was listening carefully, but saw no acceptance, so he added, almost begging, “Ro, throughout our lives we have done many things for each other.  Countless times we have done things just because the other wished it.  And now, I’m going to ask you for one more favor.  For me, please, please give me your trust…trust us…and drink the tea.”

Elrohir looked into Elladan’s eyes and then those of his other brother.  What should he do?  He did trust these two.  Now that he could think clearly, he knew he could and did trust them with his life.  But the possibility of losing control once more…not knowing what was real and what was not…how could he risk that?  Would anything be worth that risk?  Looking back into Elladan’s face and then Estel’s, he unexpectedly found his answer.  He saw such profound sadness there that he could no longer bear it.  Not when he knew that he was the one who put it there.  These two had done so much for him.  If he could show them how grateful he was in this small way, he would count it worth the risk.  So slowly, reluctantly, he nodded. 

“Yes?  You will take it?” Elladan asked in surprise.  Determined though he was, he had anticipated a much longer battle and honestly wasn’t too sure if he would be able to convince his stubborn twin.  Either Elrohir could no longer take the pain, or he trusted them more than he’d even hoped.  Knowing Elrohir’s seemingly endless capacity to bear anything in stoic silence, he joyfully concluded that it was the latter.  Somehow, they’d gotten through to this exasperating, frustrating, irritating…dear, lovable brother of his!

When Elrohir nodded again, Elladan gave an undignified whoop of joy.  Grinning over at Aragorn, who wore an equally relieved, happy look, Elladan asked, “Estel, do you think you could prepare some more of Ada’s special brew?”

“I will be right back with it,” he answered with a wide grin.  Finally the breakthrough he’d been waiting for!  This would make a huge difference in Elrohir’s recovery and Aragorn couldn’t be happier. 

He raced to make the tea before anything could happen to prevent Elrohir from drinking it.  Since the herbs had been pre-measured and ground, waiting for such a chance, the tea was ready within just minutes of Elrohir’s decision.

Aragorn brought the steaming cup over to his brothers where Elladan had already pulled his twin into his arms.  The ranger smothered a smile as he observed them.  Ever since Elrohir had permitted that first hug, Elladan had taken every chance he could to hold his brother.  Aragorn wondered what Elrohir thought of it.  The younger twin didn’t say anything one way or the other, but seemed to accept the closeness from Elladan and hadn’t shown any of his previous reluctance for physical contact.  Aragorn hadn't tried for himself, though.  In fact, he still didn't touch Elrohir except when helping to care for him.  It wasn't that he didn't want to.  It was just that Elladan was so happy when he had the chance to be with his twin that Aragorn hadn’t wanted to take those opportunities away yet.  At least, that’s what he told himself over and over as he avoided getting too close to Elrohir.

None of these thoughts were in his mind, however, as he knelt down and eagerly brought the cup forward.  Looking at the wounded elf, though, Aragorn hesitated at the last minute and didn't immediately give Elrohir the tea.  He knew that his brother wouldn't refuse to drink it now that he'd agreed to having some, but he had seen that the younger twin’s eyes were still clouded with apprehension.  With the perceptive understanding that had already made him an exceptional healer even at his young age, Aragorn took the time to explain to Elrohir exactly what effects he was going to feel once he drank the tea.  First a slight tingling, then a warmth that spread through the body, then a relaxed feeling as the pain faded away, and finally a soothing peace as the senses faded somewhat.

Elladan had said nothing during Aragorn's words or even after them, although the look he gave his little brother was one of approval.  Sometimes the young human's thoughtfulness caught him off-guard and he was reminded again of what an exceptional young man Estel had become. 

Elrohir, too, had been paying close attention to his brother and he was so grateful for the careful recitation of facts.  By the time Aragorn was done, the elf was at least accepting of what would happen, if still not pleased.  Thus, when Aragorn asked him if he was ready, he was able to nod affirmatively.

Without further comment, Aragorn held the hot tea up for Elrohir to drink.  It actually didn’t taste too bad and in short order, the cup was completely drained.  The effects on Elrohir were just what his brother had described.  Almost immediately, he felt the tingling, the warmth, and then the wonderful, blessed relief from the pain!  After days of agony, the change was unimaginable and Elrohir found himself relaxing so much, that he gently slipped into a deep, restful sleep.

As the young elf's consciousness faded, Elladan and Aragorn shared a relieved and satisfied look.

"Better?" queried Elladan with a raised eyebrow.

"Infinitely," answered his brother as he put aside the cup and pulled out the supplies he'd gathered earlier to rebandage Elrohir's hands.  Within short order, the task was done and the brothers were able to finally enjoy several restful hours while Elrohir slept.

---------------------------------

Once Elrohir permitted the occasional use of the pain-numbing teas, his recovery began to speed up dramatically.  His brothers were able to change his bandages without causing too much pain and the days of agony soon were a thing of the past.

The next challenge faced by Elrond's sons surprisingly came about because Elrohir was feeling better.  Once he was able to focus on things other than pain, he realized just how helpless his injuries had left him.  Without the use of his hands and basically trapped flat on his back by his damaged ribs and leg, he was unable to take care of even his most basic needs and was appalled at what he had to rely on his brothers for.  Even as a slave, Elrohir had been fiercely proud and now desperately hated having to rely on the others for absolutely everything.  At first he was angry at having to accept his brothers' care for all his needs, but their patience and good natures eventually wore down even his stubborn pride, and after a few days, he was able to appreciate the special gift he'd been given to have these two wonderful beings as brothers. 

Thus, overall things really seemed to be looking up, so at first no one noticed the subtle change in Elrohir's behavior.  On the evening of the fifth day after his accident, he was resting quietly while his brothers prepared dinner.  He had been rather subdued the whole day, but that by itself wasn't too strange, since he still said little unless directly addressed.  Aragorn became concerned, however, as he prepared to feed him dinner.

“It is time to eat, Elrohir,” Aragorn called over.  It was his turn to hold his brother while Elladan fed him, so he knelt down beside him and prepared to lift him up. 

Elrohir turned his head to look at his brother, but then shook his head with disinterest.  “I do not wish to eat,” he said.  “I am not hungry.”

Aragorn laughed lightly, “I realize Elladan cooked tonight, but I assure you that despite that, the meal is at least edible.”

The ranger then had to quickly duck as a cloth came sailing over at his head, thrown by his oldest brother who had obviously overheard his comment.

With a smirk for Elladan, Aragorn turned back to Elrohir and teased, “You will hurt his feelings if you don’t at least taste his soup.”

Elrohir, however, didn’t even respond this time.  He merely turned away and closed his eyes, to the alarm of his brother.  Elrohir had finally begun to sleep with his eyes open, as was normal for healthy elves.  And now that Aragorn thought about it, Elrohir was looking rather flushed.  What was going on?

“Elrohir, what is wrong?” At Aragorn’s suddenly serious tone, Elladan came quickly over to the pair and expertly looked over his twin.  He felt a small pang of alarm as he saw how wrung-out Elrohir looked.  And even more alarming was that he hadn’t even bothered to answer their brother’s query.  Since he’d begun communicating with them, Elrohir had been unfailingly polite.

Setting the bowl of soup down that he’d carried over to feed Elrohir, he knelt beside them both and then felt Elrohir’s forehead.  As he feared, it was far too warm.  The small pit in his stomach grew as he was forced to accept that despite all their hard work to keep his hands clean and free of infection, Elrohir had developed a fever.  They had been so careful.  How had this happened?

Not wanting to alarm Elrohir, his twin asked casually, "Ro, before dinner, I think I should like to take a look at your hands.  Would you mind the delay?"

Elrohir opened his eyes slightly as he glanced at Elladan.  Since he'd already said he wasn't hungry, he wasn't sure why his brother even asked the question, but not wanting to seem rude, he answered wearily, "You may do as you wish.  It matters not to me."

Elladan managed a tight smile for his twin, but his face instantly revealed his alarm as soon as Elrohir closed his eyes.

"Estel, help me," directed Elladan with quiet urgency.

The brothers worked together rapidly, each quickly unwrapping a hand as they tried to determine what had gone wrong.  They watched Elrohir for signs of distress since his hands would be hurting more than ever if they were infected.  But even though he hadn't had any of the tea recently, Elrohir remained still and limp and appeared to be unaffected by the work being done on his hands.  When at last they were fully unwrapped, the brothers looked at each other in puzzlement.  Both hands looked fine.  While they still had a long way to go before being good as new, they were clearly healing well.  What then, was causing Elrohir's fever?

Elladan felt his brother's hot forehead again as his mind sifted through the possibilities.  "Estel," he finally said, "when did you last change the bandages on Elrohir's leg?"

Aragorn's eyes opened wide at the question.  "Elladan, I thought you were to care for his leg," he exclaimed.

Elladan’s head jerked up as he looked over at his brother in shock.  "Oh..." he groaned.  "No...I thought you were."  How could they have been so stupid?  They had taken such good care of Elrohir's hands, but they had forgotten his leg!  Dropping his head in his hands, he added with a deep sigh, "Can you check his leg while I redo these bandages?"

Aragorn quickly went to do his brother’s bidding, hoping that they were wrong, but their fears were confirmed when he finished unwinding the bandage.  The wound was swollen, hot to the touch, oozed with infection, and obviously was extremely tender as Elrohir’s eyes flew open and he pulled away as it was examined.

Elladan and Aragorn shared a look of chagrin.  Neither blamed the other.  Rather, they each blamed themselves for not properly caring for all of Elrohir’s wounds.  They had been so focused on caring for the worst injury to his hands that they’d overlooked the lesser injury to his leg.

Aragorn said nothing as he looked to Elladan to tell his twin about the latest development.  This once, he was glad to be the little brother and leave it to Elladan to tell his brother the bad news.

“Elrohir,” said Elladan, touching him lightly to get his attention.  When his twin turned his head toward him and gazed at him tiredly, he continued, “Ro, it seems that your leg is not doing well and we need to lance the wound to drain the infection.  It…it will not be pleasant for you, so if you would allow it, I should like for you to take an extra dose of the tea to numb you before we start.”

The younger twin was so tired, but he tried hard to concentrate as he answered his brother.  What was it Elladan wanted?  To give him more of that tea, or drug, or whatever it was?  By this time, however, after all that his brothers had done for him, Elrohir would have agreed to anything they asked of him, so much did he trust them.  Too weary to fully express that sentiment right now, however, he merely nodded tiredly and said, “I trust you both to do what you think best,” before he once more closed his eyes. 

He couldn’t have said anything better to make his brothers feel on top of the world!  Amazed at how good that one little sentence made them both feel, Elladan and Aragorn were able to relax as they quickly prepared and then gave Elrohir an extra strong dose of tea.  Once he’d drifted into a deep sleep, the brothers worked in companionable silence as they expertly lanced the wound, drained off the infection, restitched it, packed it all with a fresh poultice, and then rebandaged it.  In all, it took almost an hour before they were done, but when they had finished, they were confident that he would soon be feeling much better.

--------------------------

Between fighting the infection and the effects of the strong tea, it was almost a full day before Elrohir once more awoke.  But this time, Elladan and Aragorn’s prediction was fulfilled and he was feeling substantially better.  He lay for a few minutes, enjoying the unusual feeling of wellness, before he opened his eyes and carefully stretched.  The afternoon sun was beating down into the small clearing and he saw the young ranger leaning against a nearby tree, quietly making arrows to pass the time.

Alerted by his brother’s movement, Aragorn put aside his work and joined him.  “Elrohir, you’re awake,” he said happily.  Placing the back of his hand against Elrohir’s forehead, he noted in satisfaction that there was no lingering fever. 

“No fever...and you're looking quite rested.  How are you feeling?” he asked.

Elrohir considered a moment before he answered.  “I feel well,” he finally answered.  “But I’m quite hungry,” he added, with almost a surprised tone.

Aragorn smiled down at his brother in delight.  This was the first time since his injury that Elrohir really sounded like he was on the mend.  He thought about what he could give him to eat, but reluctantly concluded that the few things they had left in camp wouldn’t be adequate for an invalid who hadn’t eaten in days.  They had been so busy caring for Elrohir that they hadn’t had time to replenish their food supply for awhile, so Elladan had finally agreed about an hour ago to go out and find something for them to have for dinner--hopefully he’d be back soon with something that Elrohir could eat as well.

“Elladan is out hunting and should return shortly with dinner.  I’m afraid I have nothing else here that you could eat,” Aragorn said apologetically.  “In the meantime, though, would you care for some water?”  He really wished he had something he could give Elrohir while they waited, but didn’t want Elrohir to get an upset stomach from eating the wrong foods after so long without anything to eat.

When Elrohir answered, “A drink of water would be wonderful,” Aragorn filled a cup with fresh water and gently pulled his brother up.  He helped the weak elf sit and drink, but once again resisted the temptation to wrap him in a hug like Elladan did.  Although he, too, still longed to show his brother how much he cared for him, he finally had to admit to himself that his reluctance had nothing to do with letting Elladan be close to his twin.  In truth, Aragorn felt uncharacteristically hesitant to express himself to this stranger in his brother’s body.  While Elladan apparently had no troubles communicating his feelings to his twin, Aragorn found himself unable to demonstrate his own caring for the elf.  Perhaps it was due to Aragorn’s desire to give his brother time to ease into his new reality. Or perhaps it was due to the months of difficulty when Elrohir had rejected him time and again and now he was reluctant to find out if Elrohir would still reject him.  Regardless of why, the end result was that Aragorn was very gentle and caring with his brother, but would show him no direct form of affection.  So after Elrohir had his fill of water, Aragorn simply eased him back down.

Shortly after Elrohir had finished with his water and once again was resting comfortably, Elladan came into the camp carrying several game birds and a varied assortment of roots and berries.  He was delighted to see his twin awake and looking so alert.

“Ro…it’s wonderful to see you awake.  Are you feeling better?” the elder twin asked cheerily as he knelt by his brother, checking his forehead for lingering fever.

“I am well,” answered Elrohir.  With a slight frown, he continued, “Although I am quite famished.  Estel and I have been waiting ever so long for you to return with something to eat.”

Elladan was momentarily taken aback at this unexpected criticism, until he saw the sparkle in his brother’s eyes.  The wretch was teasing him!  This was the first time since he’d been found that his twin had shown even a hint of the playful side of his personality.  This was a side that was an integral part of the old Elrohir and Elladan had to remind himself not to get his hopes up that this was a sign he’d have his brother back whole soon.  Still, it was a further indication that his twin really was in there somewhere and it helped him believe that one day he’d have him completely back.  For now, however, he had to find a suitable response to his brother’s comment. 

“Hungry are we?” he asked but then was unsure what to say.  Under normal circumstances, he would simply tease his brother right back with some sort of comment about pampered elves who expected others to provide for them.  But with Elrohir lying flat on his back and unable to do anything, such a comment would only sound mean. 

So, instead he acknowledged mentally that this round would go to Elrohir and merely said wryly, “I apologize for the delay, brother.  Perhaps Estel can help me prepare this bounty and we will eat shortly.”

Elrohir smiled quietly and watched the other two fix their meal.  He was able to eat a whole bowl of the nourishing broth they prepared for him, and then slipped back into his deep, healing sleep.

------------------------

After another day of resting, Elrohir was finally able to sit up on his own and only two days later, began to walk with the aid of his brothers.  Although his ribs and leg continued to ache somewhat, he could mostly ignore them and soon only his hands caused any lingering problems.

Now that Elrohir was up and about, the brothers had another, albeit smaller, problem to deal with.  Simply put, Elrohir had ruined his clothes when he’d fallen from the tree and so now he didn’t have a good set of clothes to wear.  While he’d been bedridden, his brothers had just covered him with a blanket.  But now they had to find something for him to wear around the camp and for the later journey home.  Elladan had nothing else to give him and Aragorn only had a spare tunic, so they reluctantly decided he’d have to keep his torn leggings and undertunic and they’d try to repair them.  The brothers did their best to stitch up the holes and wash out the dirt and blood, but it was not a very effective effort and in the end Elrohir still ended up looking more like a refugee than an elven prince, but at least it was something to wear.

By the time two full weeks had passed since Elrohir’s injury, he was sufficiently healed that the brothers began discussing restarting their journey home.  During all their talks, Elladan and Aragorn were careful to include Elrohir while making their plans.  Now that he was no longer under the influence of Borgas’ drugs, they wanted to make sure that Elrohir felt an equal member of their little group. 

This was unusual for the elf, who in his own memory could not remember ever being asked for his opinion on anything.  He quickly learned to enjoy this new sense of belonging and thus found it easy to question his brothers when he saw them talking quietly together.

 “What is the problem?” asked Elrohir from right over Aragorn’s shoulder.

Aragorn jumped in surprise.  He hadn’t heard the elf approach and was annoyed that the now grinning Elladan hadn’t bothered to tell him that Elrohir had been approaching him from behind.  ‘Just perfect!’ he thought.  ‘The two of them were already starting to pick on him again!’  His annoyance was gone in a flash, however, as his reaction quickly changed into pleasure.  Just short months ago, he’d despaired of ever being teased by his brothers again and here they were, even without Elrohir’s memories, behaving exactly as they used to. 

His lips twitched as he decided to ignore the snickering twins and chose instead to answer Elrohir’s question, “There is a very difficult passage about an hour’s hike from here.  The trail that leads down into the valley winds along the side of a steep cliff.  The difficulty of the trail is why we stopped early that day that you were injured.  We were planning on resting up before we attempted it.”

Elrohir’s mirth faded as the problem dawned on him.  He nodded slowly as he regarded his brothers.  “And now you do not know how to get me down it?” he said unhappily.  Once more, he was causing trouble.  He was so tired of being the weak member of the group who was always the source of problems.

 “Truthfully, it is a concern,” stated Elladan, entering the conversation.  “Ideally, you would ride my horse until you had fully regained your strength, but the trip down the mountainside will require too much strength to guide the horse so you cannot be the one to ride him.  I will have to instead.”

Far from seeing this as a problem, Elrohir was grateful for the news.  He didn’t like horses at all and had been concerned that his brothers were going to make him ride the beast.  He was happy with this development, but it still didn’t address the issue of his brothers’ concern for his ability to make the trip.

“I have been gaining strength rapidly for the past several days and I am confident that I could travel quite a ways now,” he said with conviction.  “Could I not simply walk along the trail?”

“Aye,” answered Aragorn.  “In fact, that is what you shall have to do.  We can wait here a few more days while you recover even more of your strength and then we will see about attempting the journey.”

Elrohir was pleased with this news.  He knew his brothers were chafing to get home and he didn’t want to be the source of any further delays.

------------------------

After just two more days of resting, the three finally decided to break camp the next morning and just after dawn the next day, they packed up their belongings and once more set off on the path home.

The first hour or so passed easily as the brothers made their way through the sun-dappled forest.  Elladan and Aragorn kept a close eye on Elrohir’s progress, but he seemed to be managing fine and after awhile, they accepted that he was truly fit to travel.

Within a short time, however, they reached the top of the trail leading down the cliff face.  Each of the brothers looked grimly at the steep, visibly dangerous path.  Even in the best of circumstances, it would be a difficult passage, but with Elrohir weak and unable to use his hands, this was going to be trickier than usual.

Disregarding his earlier assessment of Elrohir’s fitness to travel, Elladan sent a worried look at his twin and said, “I believe we should wait a bit longer before trying this.”  Upon reflection (and actually seeing the path once again), he decided it would be too taxing for his weakened twin and wouldn’t risk something happening to him on the way home.

Elrohir, however, had no such worries.  “Wait!  Whatever for?” he asked with exasperation.  He knew very well what was bothering Elladan, but wasn’t about to be the cause of yet another delay.

Elladan recognized the irritation in his twin’s tone, but felt compelled to voice his concerns anyway.  “Ro, I do not think…I do not believe you are up to taking this trail just yet.  It is treacherous and very easy to slip and you won’t even have the use of your hands to help you across the most difficult parts.  It would be best to give you some more time before we proceed.”

There was no teasing air this time in the frown that Elrohir directed toward his brother.  He appreciated that they both wanted to take care of him, but enough was enough.  He was getting tired of being coddled!

“We already discussed this, Elladan.  It will be several more weeks before I have any practical use of my hands.  Waiting will do nothing except push us closer to the autumn storm season, which would make this path a hazard to all of us.  I will be careful, but we must continue now.”

“Yes, but even if your hands won’t heal soon, another week of resting would significantly increase your strength,” argued Elladan.  “We should turn back.”

“I am fine and I will not turn back and be the source of continued delay,” the younger twin said vehemently.

“We will turn back if I say we will,” responded Elladan, becoming equally irritated at the stubborn attitude of his twin.

“Well I wish to continue.  Perhaps I will simply go on alone,” threatened Elrohir, not willing to back down.

“Wait,” interjected Aragorn forcefully before things could deteriorate further.  He had been quietly watching the little spat with amusement, but now recognized the warning signs that the equally obstinate elves were heading toward an argument that neither would win.

As the two looked at him expectantly, he continued, “Dan, Elrohir is right in that we do need to start home now.  Further delay is pointless.”  He shot a quelling look at the other twin as Elrohir smiled in satisfaction.  “But Ro, Elladan also is right when he worries about your ability to navigate this trail.  Despite your belief that you are ‘fine,’ the fact is that even the hardiest have trouble here and you are far from being fully recovered.  After viewing this path again, I am inclined to agree with Dan that you may not be ready for it.  So, we must come up with some kind of alternative.”

Neither twin said anything and Aragorn almost wanted to laugh at the identical looks of dissatisfaction on their faces.  He knew that neither was in the mood to be laughed at, however, so he smothered the impulse and said in his most reasonable voice, “How about we continue on, but tie a rope around Elrohir’s waist so if he slips, we can prevent a nasty fall?”

Elrohir again said nothing, his jaw tightening as he realized that his brothers were going to treat him like a weakling whether he wanted it or not.  He had to force himself to stop a resentful retort regarding overprotective brothers when he saw Elladan nod in approval at Estel’s suggestion.

“That is a worthy idea, Estel,” said Elladan.  “Although you would have to be the one at the other end of the rope.  I will unfortunately have my hands full guiding my horse down.”

Aragorn smiled, appreciating the trust that Elladan showed him by putting Elrohir’s safety in his hands.  “I will see that he does not fall,” he assured his brother.

“Do I not have a say in this?” interjected Elrohir, annoyed at the way the two were talking about him as if he weren’t there.

“No!” the other two answered in unison. 

They then worked together as they pulled out a rope and then looped it around both Aragorn and Elrohir.  While they were working, Elrohir stood motionless and silent, telling himself over and over not to be angry--that they were only trying to be helpful, but he couldn’t help feeling hurt and resentful at their high-handed behavior.  He tried to control his feelings and remain accepting and calm, however inside he was still seething.

Apparently Elrohir was not completely successful at hiding his feelings, for Elladan suddenly stopped what he was doing and really looked at his twin.  He finally realized that this was more than Elrohir being stubborn--he was honestly becoming upset and Elladan had just realized why.  With a start his remembered his twin’s recent history of being a powerless slave at the mercy of other’s rules.  And without thinking, he and Aragorn were once more dictating Elrohir’s life.  He supposed that was because they’d been slipping back into their old roles recently and so he had also thoughtlessly slipped back into his ‘bossy older brother’ role, but it didn’t excuse his behavior. 

With a sigh, he started to remove the rope from Elrohir. 

“Ro,” he said contritely, “I am sorry.  You are right.  You should have a say in this.”

Aragorn looked at him in shocked surprise until he, too, caught the look on Elrohir’s face.  The elf appeared genuinely upset--something that neither of them had expected nor wanted.  He wisely said nothing as he let Elladan work things out.

Once the rope was completely removed, Elladan continued, “Do you seriously object to the rope, or just the fact that you were not given a choice?”

At the calm tone of his brother, Elrohir took a deep breath and considered.  Actually, looking at the steep trail, it probably was prudent to take extra precautions and so he reluctantly answered, “I am tired of constantly being a burden to you…someone that requires more care than a child would.  However, mostly I did not like being told what to do without you listening to my input.”

“I must say I am sorry, too,” Aragorn interjected.  “We should have discussed this with you, although I still believe it is for the best.”

Looking at his two brothers who appeared genuinely contrite, Elrohir’s anger faded away.  After all, they were only trying to take care of him.  Deciding to give in after all, he gave them a smile to show that all was forgiven and said, “Thank you for understanding.  And…although I still do not wish to be coddled, I will allow the rope if you truly think it necessary.”

After strong agreement from both brothers that they felt that use of the rope was best, it was tied back around Elrohir and the three began their journey down the cliffside.  Elladan rode ahead, Elrohir went second, and Aragorn brought up the rear, tied to Elrohir by the rope.

The beginning of the journey down did indeed prove difficult and the brothers had to take breaks every so often to allow Elrohir to rest.  Although he’d never admit it, the going was more taxing than he’d imagined and he was grateful for the frequent rest stops.

They continued their way slowly down, but then about a third of the way down a near-tragedy occurred when the path suddenly crumbled beneath Elrohir’s feet.  His shout alerted Elladan, who was riding ahead, but the older twin was too far away to do anything to help his brothers.  All he could do was watch helplessly as the events unfolded as if in slow motion.

Elrohir, although weakened, still had the quick reflexes of his kind and managed to leap onto a more secure part of the path.  His brother behind him was not so fortunate, however.  Aragorn had leapt forward trying to grab Elrohir, but was unable to keep his footing and found himself slipping off the path as the trail continued to crumble.

The ranger’s first horror-filled thought as he felt himself falling over the edge was heartfelt regret that he’d ever suggested being tied to Elrohir.  As weak as the young elf was, he’d certainly be pulled off the path as well.  His next coherent thought, however, was a shocked realization that he was no longer falling, but was dangling in the air from the rope around his waist.  He looked up and to his amazement saw that Elrohir had flung himself around the base of a small bush growing alongside the path and was using its deep roots to help anchor him as he strained to keep his brother from falling.

Elrohir’s feet scrambled to find purchase as he was pulled closer to the edge.  The little bush was giving way and so making a quick decision, he grabbed the rope with both hands and pulled with all his strength.  His actions stopped their forward momentum, but the sharp pain it caused his unhealed hands nearly caused him to drop the rope in shock. 

“Dan!” he shouted, knowing that he couldn’t hold his brother for long.

Before the echo of Elrohir’s voice had even faded, Elladan was at his side and between the two of them, they quickly pulled their little brother to safety.

For long minutes, the brothers could do no more than rest on the side of the path, catching their breath as they rejoiced in being safe.

“Are either of you hurt?” asked Elladan when he finally found his voice.  It trembled slightly as he realized just how close he’d just come to losing both of his beloved brothers.

“I…I am alright,” answered Aragorn, amazed to find that that was actually true.  Other than being scared half to death, he had managed to escape anything worse than a couple of minor scrapes.

“I also,” said Elrohir, although with less conviction.  Honestly his hands were killing him, but he didn’t want to give his brothers a reason to start babying him even more.  And more important, he didn’t want Estel to feel bad about his hands being hurt while he was trying to save him.  Two sets of eyes boring into him drew his attention, though, and he unhappily noted his brothers looking at him with a mixture of disbelief and concern.

By the Valar!  “Very well,” he huffed, “My hands ache from when I pulled on the rope…but that is all!  I was not using them anyway, so there is no need for concern.”

Elladan grabbed his shoulders and looked directly into his eyes.  “Elrohir, I need to know truthfully how badly your hands are hurt,” he said sternly.  “The path before us is just as treacherous as the part we already crossed and I must know if you are able to continue.  If not, we should turn back now or we could all be endangered.”

Almost flinching from the intensity of Elladan’s gaze, the younger twin considered before he answered.  He did fully understand his brother’s concerns, so he answered truthfully, “They hurt.  They hurt abominably to be honest.  But I meant it when I said there is no need for concern.  I still feel able to continue.”

Seeing sincerity in his twin’s eyes, Elladan finally released his brother and nodded.  “Now is not the time to check your hands…the ground is still unstable here.  I will take your word that you are able to continue and we will proceed.  But you are to tell us if you need to slow down or stop.”

Nodding his agreement, Elrohir stood up and moved to continue down the path when he was stopped by Aragorn.  With an almost shy smile, the ranger simply said, “Thank you.”

Elrohir took a second to fully realize what he’d just done and what he was being thanked for, but then he broke into a dazzling smile.  “You are most welcome,” he said happily, feeling for the first time that he had more to offer his brothers than just trouble after trouble.  Thus, despite the lingering pain in his hands, it was with great cheer that he added, “I am so grateful after all that you thought to tie us together!” and then started down the path.

-----------------------

Hours later, Elrond’s sons finally reached the valley floor.  Exhausted, they decided to camp right where they were even though it was only early afternoon.  The trip had taken every bit of strength Elrohir had and actually his brothers weren’t faring too much better.  The passage had been grueling for them all.

Once the preparations for an early dinner were complete, Elladan finally got a chance to examine Elrohir’s hands.  He was pleased to see that the thick bandages had kept the tender hands from being permanently damaged, but was not happy to note that pulling on the rope had in fact peeled off the first layer of healing skin and had set back Elrohir’s recovery a good ways.

Elrohir watched in silence as his brother dusted his hands with some sort of healing powder and then rebandaged them.  Despite his exhaustion and the new injury to his hands, he was in incredibly high spirits.  Not only had he managed to successfully make his way down to the valley, but he had also managed to save his little brother’s life in the process!  To suddenly be a contributing member of their little trio gave the elf a much-needed boost in self-esteem and he counted the injury well worth the price. 

With Elrohir’s cheerful mood and his brothers’ equally good humor it was a lively group that rested up in the little camp that evening.

--------------------

After successfully managing the dangerous passage, the rest of the brothers’ journey was wonderfully uneventful.  The Fates seemed to finally be smiling on Elrond’s sons as day by day they got closer to home.  Elrohir’s hands started once more to heal and after just two more weeks, they required much lighter bandaging and he had regained some use of them.  Although he still tired easily, his other injuries were now completely healed and he was feeling stronger with each passing day.

So, by the time they were nearing Rivendell, physically Elrohir was doing much, much better.  He had, however, found a new concern--one that truthfully disturbed him more than his injuries had.  While he had been traveling with his brothers, he had managed to put aside his past and accept his new life with them.  But now…now he was facing the reality of trying to fit in to a society as some sort of elven lord, when in truth his only experiences outside of those with his brothers was that of a slave.  Thus, as the brothers neared home, he became more and more tense and silent as his trepidation about what he was facing grew.

His brothers were not at all unaware of Elrohir’s uneasiness and had indeed been wondering themselves what new trials may be in store for their brother.  Therefore, they had been using the quiet days of their journey to fill him in on day-to-day life in Rivendell--describing the people, the places, and how everything worked.  They had hoped by teaching him about their home they’d ease his concerns by helping to prepare him for life in their father’s realm.  But instead, the more he learned, the less he felt ready to face this totally foreign way of life.

A good indication of just how anxious Elrohir was becoming was the short-tempered way he started reacting to his brothers’ continued stories of their home as they got closer and closer to their destination.  After days of hearing about who was who and what was what and how he should react in different situations, Elrohir didn’t think he could stand one more fact being crammed into his skull. 

At first he had been able to hide his irritation, but then his comments started to become more and more curt, and finally, when they were only a day’s walk from Rivendell, his tension reached such a level that he couldn’t take it any more.   Stress, worry, and just overwhelming fatigue had given him a pounding headache and he unfortunately exploded when Elladan blithely started describing the organizational structure of the realm’s patrols.

“Enough!” he shouted. “Would you cease this endless prattle?!  Do you really believe that I care how the patrols are organized, or how you can tell them apart, or what their functions are, or…or anything else about them?  In truth, I do not care to hear another word about anything!  Can we not simply walk in peace?!”

Elladan and Aragorn stopped on the path and regarded the younger twin seriously.  This just wasn’t like Elrohir.  Not the old one or the new one either.  Since he’d overcome the effects of the drugs, in general he’d been quite pleasant.  So, he was either more tired than he’d let on, or he was more concerned about meeting everyone at home than he’d let on.  Or possibly, it was a combination of the two. 

Yes, seeing how he was holding his head as if trying to prevent it from falling off, it was now obvious to the two of them that Elrohir was fighting a fierce headache.  And from the unhappy frown, it was also obvious that they hadn’t realized quite how anxious he’d become.

Since Elladan had been the one who’d been yelled at, he was the one who responded to his twin’s outburst.  “Elrohir, there is no need to become upset.  We certainly do not have to continue our stories of home if you do not like them.  We are only trying to help you by painting you a picture of life in Rivendell.”

“Well stop,” his twin answered in almost a growl.  “It is pointless since I have long-ceased to be able to process anything new that you tell me.”

Elrohir then pushed past them and made as if to keep going down the trail when Aragorn grabbed his arm and stopped him.

“What?” the elf snapped angrily, yanking his arm away.

“Elrohir,” said Aragorn with admirable patience, “I think we should stop for the day and rest.  If you had told us that you were feeling poorly, we could have stopped earlier, you know.”

“I am fine!” hissed Elrohir through clenched teeth.  First they tried to drive him insane with their eternal storytelling and now they were going to start treating him like an invalid again!  With a glare for both of his brothers, he started stalking down the path again.

This time, it was Elladan who stopped him.  Stopped him by simply stepping in front of him on the path.  The younger twin tried to push him aside, but he was no match for his healthier brother.  Three times he was stopped as Elladan kept moving in front of him.  Frustrated, angry, tired, and frazzled, Elrohir swung his right fist as if to strike Elladan.

“Whoa!” yelped Elladan in surprise as he caught his twin by the forearm.  Catching the other one, too, before he could strike out with the left hand, he asked, “What do you think you are doing?  Those hands are not ready for any kind of fight, little one!”

Little one!  Elrohir knew from his brothers’ comments that he was the middle brother, older than Estel but younger than Elladan.  But to be called ‘little one’ was insulting!  “Let me go!” he shouted angrily.

“Not until you calm down,” answered his brother in a rational voice that irritated Elrohir even more than shouting would have.  The younger elf was upset and didn’t want his brother’s reasonable behavior to show him by contrast that he was acting badly.

“We are wasting time,” said Elrohir, with a visible effort to appear calm, but even so, his voice was tight with tension.  “If we stop now, we’ll not make Rivendell before sunset tomorrow as planned.”

“Then we arrive late,” answered Elladan, again in a smooth, reasonable voice.  “No one is expecting us tomorrow so a delay causes no problem.” 

Elrohir knew how excited his brothers were to see their father and their home and couldn’t stand being the reason they didn’t arrive as planned.  He unhappily tried to pull his arms away again. “Let me go!” he cried.

Aragorn had come up beside them and now put a quiet hand on his brother’s shoulder.  “Shhh…Ro, let us stop for awhile,” he said.  “It will be better for all of us to rest up before we get home.”

“I do not want…” began Elrohir, but then cut off his sentence half-way.

“What?” asked Elladan, still refusing to let go of his twin’s arms.

Elrohir shook his head and wouldn’t look at either of his brothers.  How could he tell them that he didn’t want to go home?  They were so excited about it and all he felt was fear of the unknown and a horrible dread.  He tugged on his arms again, knowing he’d not be able to break free from his brother’s strong grasp, but somehow needing to make the attempt anyway.

“Ro?” Elladan said worriedly.  He knew that something more than ill humor was driving his twin’s odd behavior.  When Elrohir still wouldn’t look at him, he finally did let his brother’s arms go, but then grabbed him by the shoulders and pushed him to the ground.

Joining him on the ground, Elladan continued, “Now tell us what is bothering you.”

Aragorn also sat down with them and added, “Whatever it is, you know we will do our best to help you.”

“That’s just it!” Elrohir suddenly cried in frustration.  “You will help me.  You always help me.  I am already useless enough and we are doing nothing more taxing than walking down a stupid path.  What will happen when we get home?  When there are real issues to deal with?  How will I ever fit in?  Will you always be beside me, helping me?  Even if you do not tire of that, I will!  If nothing else, it will be a constant reminder of how worthless I am!”

After his little outburst, the younger elf buried his aching head in his hands.  He couldn’t believe he’d just said what he did.  The only way he could remember maintaining any sense of dignity was to hold on to his pride.  It had worked for him as a slave and he’d hoped it would work for him in Rivendell.  But now that was going to be impossible after he’d just blurted out his fears.  How pathetic!  His brothers would surely despise him now for being so weak.  He waited tensely for their words of contempt.

The next thing he knew, however, Elladan was pulling him into a tight embrace.  “You are not worthless,” he said with a catch in his voice.  “If you do nothing more than simply sit around Rivendell and eat and sleep, it would be more than enough for me.  I am just glad you are alive and coming home,” he added fervently.

Aragorn put a tentative hand on his shoulder and said with equal conviction, “I feel the same way.  You do not have to do anything you do not wish to at home.  We will all simply be grateful that you’ve come back to us.”  When Elrohir didn’t stir, he added, “And do not forget, Ro, that you are the one who kept my sorry hide from going off that cliff.  I certainly wouldn’t count that as worthless.”

Elrohir unburied his head and glanced up at both of his brothers.  Estel was smiling softly at him and Elladan was looking at him with a worried, troubled expression.  Neither one of them looked contemptuous or even irritated with him.  Was it possible that he was overreacting?  He took a deep breath and tried to clear his mind.  It would be so much easier to think if his head wasn’t trying to split in two!  He closed his eyes again and tried to massage his temples with his bandaged hands.  It wasn’t working.

He felt his hands being pulled away and then Elladan said, “Ro, let me mix up something for that headache and then I want you to rest.  We are stopping here for the night.”

It was just as well, Elrohir reflected.  Now that he was on the ground, he wasn’t sure he’d have the strength to get back up again anyway.  He’d been keeping from his brothers just how tired he was getting since he didn’t want to slow them down, but now fatigue seemed to be crashing down on him.  When Elladan let him go, he leaned tiredly against a tree and instantly fell into a light sleep.  He woke up a short time later when Estel came over and gave him something for his head and then he curled up right where he was and went to sleep.

------------------------

Elrohir didn’t wake again until the next morning.  His brothers had somehow managed to get him into his bedroll without waking him and he felt rested and in a much better frame of mind.  He kicked off his covers and then joined his brothers who were sitting quietly over a small fire.  They had cooked up some kind of wonderful-smelling stew and his stomach growled in anticipation.

Elladan and Aragorn looked up as Elrohir approached.  They were both relieved to see that the small lines of pain from the headache seemed to be gone and he no longer appeared so upset.  What he did look, though, was ashamed.  With a clear head, Elrohir had remembered just how badly he’d acted the day before and the first thing he did was apologize. 

“I am sorry,” he said quietly.  “I behaved like a child yesterday, taking out my bad temper on you both.  I have nothing to say in my defense, but I hope you will find it in your hearts to forgive me.”

Since Elladan and Aragorn had never been upset with Elrohir in the first place, they found it easy to give him the assurances he needed and once the air was cleared, the three of them enjoyed the delicious breakfast stew.

They packed up quickly after eating and then promptly started off down the trail.  Since they were far behind schedule, they traveled fast the whole day, trying to make up lost time and get home before dark.  But they simply couldn’t do it.  Even though they had barely stopped for anything, when the sun started to go down, Rivendell was still several hours away.  Determined to make it home, they took only a short break to eat dinner and then started off again.  Within another hour, though, Elladan and Aragorn noted that Elrohir was walking slower and slower and occasionally stumbling.  Disappointed, they realized that they had pushed too hard that day and he was obviously out of energy.

Elrohir was too tired to even pretend he wasn’t exhausted, but knew what torture it would be to his brothers to stop so close to home.  Understanding how anxious they were to see their father, the tired elf decided that there was only one solution.  Reluctantly, he approached Elladan and asked if he could ride his horse for awhile.  His brothers were astonished, to say the least.  Elrohir had kept up his strange reluctance to have anything to do with the animal during their entire journey and so they were especially grateful that Elrohir was agreeing to ride him now just so they could get home.

Elladan helped his twin onto the horse and then he and Aragorn happily took off, the well-trained animal following quietly behind.  To the amusement of his brothers, Elrohir fell asleep almost immediately and now rode slightly slumped over on the horse’s back.  The other two were too excited about almost being home to feel even a hint of the fatigue that wiped out the younger twin and they talked quietly to each other while they occasionally glanced up to make sure that Elrohir wouldn’t topple off the horse as he slept.  But despite his own misgivings about riding, Elrohir was a born horseman and even asleep kept a sure seat.

“It’s getting quite late.  No one will be awake when we get home,” murmured Aragorn in concern.  “Do you think perhaps we should stop after all and wait until morning?”

“Nay,” answered Elladan equally quietly.  “I think coming in after dark will actually be for the best.  Even with all the progress Elrohir has made, I fear he may still be a bit skittish if surrounded by too many strangers at once, and you know everyone will want to see him once they know he’s returned.”

“Aye, you’re right,” said Aragorn.  “Still, I cannot wait to see everyone’s reaction,” he finished with a grin.

“Nor I,” agreed his older brother with a smile.  “Especially Ada.  It is too bad Arwen is still in Lothlorien.  I stopped there the last time I was in the area and she was so worried about Elrohir.  I know she would wish to be here now.  ”

“Mmmm,” replied Aragorn non-committedly.  Arwen had been staying with her grandparents in the Golden Woods since long before he’d arrived in Rivendell, and he didn’t really know the elven princess.

The brothers’ quiet discussion was interrupted as an elven guard dropped from the trees ahead of them in their path.  A formal salute was followed by a quick smile.  “Lord Elladan...Estel...we did not expect you home!  It is good to see you both!” he said cheerily.

“Minalus!  It has been too long, my friend!” said Elladan, clasping the warrior’s wrist in greeting.  Minalus was an older warrior who had patrolled the borders of Rivendell for centuries and was well acquainted with the young sons of Elrond.  “This is indeed an unplanned return, but...you see...we have brought someone home.”

He gestured to the horse, where Elrohir still sat slumped over, deeply asleep.

The guard looked at the third member of the party in curiosity.  Lord Elladan didn’t let just anyone ride his horse.  “Who...?”  He stopped before he finished his question, for in a flash of insight, he knew exactly who sat upon Elladan’s horse!

“My lord!” he gasped. 

Elladan and Aragorn both laughed at his reaction, forgetting to be quiet but fortunately not waking Elrohir up.  Minalus raced over to the horse and stared at Elrohir.  He briefly noted the bandaged hands, but focused mostly on the rider’s face.  It truly was their missing prince!  “He’s alive,” he said excitedly but quietly so as not to wake the injured elf.  “Where was he?  How did you find him?” he continued.

“I will tell you the whole story, my friend,” said Elladan with a grin, “but it will have to be later.  For now, we need to bring him home and place him under my father’s care.”

“Of course,” stated Minalus, nodding in understanding.  “Is there anything I can do to aid you?”

“If you could tell us where tonight’s guards are posted, that would be helpful,” said Aragorn.  “We are hoping to get Elrohir home quietly and wish to avoid as many people as we can.”

Minalus looked at the brothers quizzically, “I do not understand.  Why would you wish to avoid our guards?”

“Elrohir…has had a rough time, Minalus,” answered Elladan.  “Again, I will explain it all to you later, but for now I’ll just say that he may react badly to being surrounded by too many people at once.  We would like to get him home to Adar as quietly as possible.”

Still not completely understanding, but accepting the brothers’ desire for secrecy, Minalus told them a route that would take them practically up to the palace without encountering any further guards.  After thanking him and promising to tell all the stories of their adventures later, they took their leave and eagerly made their way home.

--------------------------

Minalus’ directions proved to be good and without seeing a single other guard, at long last their home was before them.  Elrohir still slept on Elladan’s horse, but Elrond’s other two sons felt a sense of peace and joy at finally returning to the warmth of their father’s house.  They led the horse around to a small courtyard tucked away out of sight.  It was a private entrance used only by the family and would allow them to enter their home undetected. 

Aragorn then gently eased Elrohir off the horse, amazed that the exhausted elf still didn’t wake up.  He must have been hiding just how much the journey had been wearing him down if he could sleep through being pulled from a horse.  Shaking his head at the stubbornness of certain elven twins, he helped Elladan scoop Elrohir up into his arms and then followed the two as they wound their way through several back passages to the twins’ chambers. 

They thought they’d managed to completely avoid any of the palace residents when they suddenly came face to face with Erestor, one of their father’s advisors, who was coming down the corridor toward them. 

“Erestor!,” exclaimed Elladan.  “Uh…it is good to see you again,” he continued, but mentally rolled his eyes at himself.  Surely he could have thought of something more clever to say than that!

Erestor, however, was just as startled at unexpectedly running into his lord’s sons in the hallway--even more startled when he realized that he was facing all of his lord’s sons.  That was Elrohir lying cradled in his brother’s arms!  Usually an articulate, unflappable sort, he stood there with his mouth open for several moments before he managed to collect himself and find his voice. 

But even then, Erestor was barely coherent.  “You…he…is it really…is he…?” he stammered.

Taking pity on the flustered elf, Aragorn tried to answer his garbled question, “Yes, Erestor.  We really have returned with Elrohir, who is well, but very tired.  It is quite late and we shoud like to get him to his chambers.”

The older elf tentatively reached over and touched the sleeping elf’s arm.  Yes, he really was real!  The typically sedate elf broke out into a wide smile.  Although he was known for having a cool, detached demeanor, he really was quite fond of Elrond’s sons and was genuinely thrilled to see Elrohir’s safe return.

Before he could ask any questions or say anything further, though, Elladan said, “We wish to keep news of Elrohir’s return from everyone until our father is told first.  Could you please inform him that his sons have returned and ask him to join us in my rooms?  And…I would appreciate it if you did not tell him of Elrohir.  We would like to be the ones to tell him about his return.”

Erestor nodded a bit hesitantly.  He was never any good at keeping secrets from Lord Elrond and he was certain that this one would be harder to keep than most.  Still, he understood Elladan and Estel’s desire to be the ones to explain the return of their missing brother.  With a promise to do what he could, Erestor turned and hurried off to find his lord.

Once Erestor left to find their father, the brothers entered the twins’ apartments and then made their way into Elrohir’s bedchamber.  Aragorn quickly pulled back the bedcovers on Elrohir’s bed and the younger twin was gently laid down, his boots removed, and then quietly tucked in.

Convinced that Elrohir was as comfortable as they could make him for the moment, Elladan and Aragorn stood there for a moment, regarding their sleeping brother.  They had done it!  Against the odds and despite frustrating setbacks, they had brought Elrohir safely home.  Sharing a wordless look that expressed the relief and joy that they both were feeling, they silently left his room and went back into the outer common room between the twin’s bedchambers, eagerly awaiting Erestor’s return with their father.

------------------

Erestor found his lord exactly where he expected to find him, sitting in the library, staring unseeing out into the night sky.  During the day, the elven lord behaved just like he always had in the past:  strong, confident, in control.  But those closest to him knew that this was just a façade--a mask he put on day after day as he conducted the business of his realm.  It was only at night when he was alone or in the presence of a select few that he allowed his real feelings to surface and the despair he felt at the unexplained loss of his child to overtake him.  Every evening, he would stare out into the night sky and look to the stars for some kind of answer to soothe his troubled soul.

He had been this way for over two years now.  Long years of wishing he could turn back the clock and heed Elladan’s concerns rather than brushing them aside.  Long years of guilt eating at his soul for not immediately rushing to his son’s aid.  Long years of never knowing just what had happened to one of his precious children--not knowing if he suffered, or if he was even alive, or if he suffered so much that he would be better off dead.  Long years of hoping to find him, but dreading to learn what his fate had been.  Too many nights, Elrond fell asleep there at the window with all these thoughts swirling miserably around in his head. 

It was just another typical night full of these disturbing thoughts when Elrond vaguely noted that his advisor had entered the room.  Erestor would only bother him this late at night if there were something very important to tell him, so with a sigh, he turned to him and waited patiently for what he had to say.

The younger elf couldn’t help feeling great satisfaction as he addressed his lord.  For once, the news he had was overwhelmingly good, and he was pleased that he was the one who was able to deliver it. 

“My lord, I bring news of your sons.  They have returned home and bade me to ask you to join them in Lord Elladan’s chambers,” Erestor stated formally, but with a hint of a smile.

Elrond’s eyes gleamed with the first spark of life seen in quite a while as he heard Erestor.  "Elladan and Estel have returned together?  Are they well?" he asked, trying to project his usual calm air but for once failing miserably.

Erestor nodded, relieved that he could answer Lord Elrond truthfully and still not betray the fact that Elrohir had also returned.  He answered, “Aye.  They returned just moments ago and wished to meet you in their rooms.  Oh…and they are quite well.”

To Erestor’s delight, Elrond gave his advisor a rare smile and then rushed out.  He didn’t even bother trying to maintain his dignity and serenely stroll down to Elladan’s rooms.  Instead, he fairly flew through the hallways as he hurried to greet his much-missed sons.

In no time at all, he flung open the door to the sitting room that adjoined the twins’ bedchambers and paused in the doorway, looking at Elladan and Estel, resting in the large, comfortable chairs that the twins had put in this room years ago.  They sprang up when he entered, and Elrond drank in the sight of his two sons with the thirst of one denied water for far too long.  Their mere presence was a soothing balm to his troubled heart and he gave a quick prayer in thanks for their safe return.  The crushing sorrow that had been a part of his daily life with the loss of his other son threatened to surface, but he brutally pushed that aside.  For now, he would be content that at least these two had been brought home safely.  After enveloping them both in fierce, loving hugs, he stood back and looked at them. 

“You two are a sight for sore eyes.  And what is this I see?  No injuries to heal?” he asked teasingly, taking refuge from his emotions in light-hearted normality.

“Nay, Ada, we are both quite hale and hearty,” answered his eldest as he shared a grin with his young brother.

Elrond laughed as he gave his boys another quick hug.  Oh, he was so glad to see them!  But then the reality of what he’d just seen pushed its way into his consciousness.  A grin…Elladan was standing there grinning at him!  Elrond’s smile faded and his heart started to beat wildly as he carefully studied his eldest.  Gone was the driving despair and the raging grief that had overshadowed this son for so long.  He now seemed content.  Happy.  Whole.  That could only mean one thing.  There would be only one reason that Elladan no longer mourned for his lost twin.  Only one reason his son was standing before him without that restless urgency that drove him before.  As the blood drained from his face, Elrond whispered faintly but with certainty, “He’s here…”

********************

 




<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List