Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Miscreants and Rapscallions  by Elendiari22

 

Disclaimer: I don’t own them, and I’ll put them back safely when I’m done!

 

Chapter Eight: Enter the Dwarf

 

     Thwack! “You are NOT a better rider!”

    Whack! “Your skills on a horse do not hold a candle to mine!”

    Crash!   “My mother is the Lady of the Shield-arm! She has taught me well!”

   Smack!  “Well, MY father is the King of Rohan! And he’s a better rider than your mother!”

    “Take that back!”

    “Never!”

    “Take it back!”

    “No!!”

    The jab was more than Theodwyn could take. She flew at Elfwine and tackled him, pummeling him with her small fists. Elfwine grabbed a hank of her long golden hair in response, and pulled.

    Eldarion looked from the feuding cousins around his playroom. It looked like a small war had been fought in it, and in truth, one had been. Theodwyn and Elfwine both had their hearts set on being the one to ride in the horse race the next day, and they had come to blows about it. Ella and Rowan had decided that it was best to stay out of the argument, and were sitting in the window seat playing chess. Eldarion knew that he had to stop the fight, as he was the Prince Regent, but he also knew that to come upon either of the cousins when they were angry was to flirt with danger. Feeling a little desperate, he looked over at Legolas.

    The Elf was seated in an armchair across the room, still bound, but ungagged. He was watching the argument with seemingly great interest.

      “Legolas, help!” Eldarion cried, wincing as Theodwyn bit Elfwine’s arm, eliciting a scream from the young prince. “What should we do?”

      “Do? I don’t believe that I can do anything,” responded Legolas calmly. If there was a touch of frost in his voice, Eldarion ignored it. “Besides, I fear that I would only make it worse.”

     Eldarion sighed, and braced himself to join the fray. He took a step forward, hesitated, then jumped a foot high when the door burst open. Merry Brandybuck and his wife, Estella (both of whom had been strangely absent from the council that afternoon, for reasons unknown), marched in. They immediately went straight to the battling cousins, who were now mercilessly beating each other with pillows, and yanked them apart.

    “See here, young lady,” Merry said to Theodwyn, whom he was bodily holding back. “This is no way for a lady to act!”

       “I’m not a lady, I’m a shield maiden!” screeched Theodwyn.

       “You’re not a shield maiden, you have to live in Rohan to be a shield maiden!” yelled Elfwine, struggling against Estella.

       “Oh, for goodness sakes! Merry, maybe we ought to call their parents in,” Estella said. “Then they can sort this out.”

      Immediately, Theodwyn and Elfwine went limp and silent. Parents were never a good thing to have around during fights. Merry and Estella traded a glance, than let them go. Eldarion gave them a grateful smile, and said, “I will decide who rides in the race tomorrow. After all, it’s my city.”

     “Very good, then” said Merry. “We’ll leave you to it, then, Eldarion.”

      The Brandybucks left the playroom, and Eldarion faced his friends, arms folded. Ella and Rowan turned from the window seat to watch, their game momentarily forgotten. Theodwyn straightened her torn skirt and glared defiantly at the Prince.

      Eldarion hesitated for a moment. Whoever he picked, the other would be angry with him. Finally, he made his choice. “Elfwine will ride in the race. But he has to apologize to Theodwyn first.”

     Elfwine’s face lit up like a sunrise. “Sorry, Theodwyn!” he said.

     Theodwyn glared at him, then leveled her hurt gaze on Eldarion. “Lads!” she cried angrily, and stormed from the room.

     “Don’t worry, Eldarion, she’ll come back. She always does,” Rowan said.

     Eldarion nodded. He felt bad, but there was no time for that now. They had to prepare for the next day.

*****

      Gimli son of Gloin had seen a great deal during his long years. Never, though, had he seen the young daughter of the Lady Eowyn and Prince Faramir come streaking across the corridor, sobbing with anger. He did not even have time to move out of the way before she ran into him. The Dwarf’s solid bulk prevented him from falling, but the tiny Gondorian went sprawling on her back, and play there on the carpet, crying noisily.

     Gimli was rather unsure just what he should do. He did not have much experience with children-they were rather scarce in the Dwarven halls-and little girls were most definitely not something that he knew how to handle. Orcs? Yes. Hungry and irritable hobbits? Yes. Little girls? No. Absolutely not.

     Still, the child lying on the floor couldn’t just be left alone. Gimli, behaving as though he were lifting glass, bent down and helped Theodwyn up.

     “Lady Theodwyn, what ails you?” he asked.

     Theodwyn peered up at the dwarf. Her eyes were full of tears, her hair was tangled, and her green dress was ripped. She looked truly pitiful.

     “I-I…Elfwine is evil!” she burst out. “So is Eldarion! I hate them!” She burst into tears again.

      Gimli hesitantly patted her on the head. “Here now, don’t cry,” he said awkwardly. “Everything will be all right.”

      “But they won’t let me ride in the race tomorrow!” wailed Theodwyn.

      Gimli frowned. If the lads were teasing Theodwyn, they would answer to him. Still, there was probably a reason for it, sibling rivalry aside. He had heard some of the Citadel guards talking about some devilry that the children had been brewing. Before he took sides, he had to know about it. Here was one of the children now. Gimli did some quick thinking, and put his hand on Theo’s shoulder.

   “Come now, lassie, let’s go find some food. Then you can tell me what this is all about,” Gimli said in his most comforting tone of voice.

     Theodwyn sniffled a little and took his hand. “All right. Thank you, Gimli,” she said.

     Gimli smiled at her and led her towards the kitchens. Whatever trouble was occurring, he was certain that the Elf was involved. Whatever was going on, it had to be interesting. The Citadel was fairly teeming with plans. All he had to do was learn what was going on, and join in.

*****

    From behind a long, intricately woven tapestry, where she had been listening, the Queen Arwen smiled to herself. Everything was going according to plan.

TBA





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List