Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Miscreants and Rapscallions  by Elendiari22

Disclaimer: I don’t own them, and I’ll put them back safely when I’m done!

Author’s Note: I am having too much fun with this! I’m tempted to write a story about Arwen and Eowyn next; they’re turning out to be as bad as the children, if not worse. Thank you all for your feedback, I hope you enjoy the chapter!

 

Chapter Thirteen: Tunnels and Master Plans

 

     “ Hello!”

     The shout echoed through the long tunnels for several moments, telling Gimli that they were deep and in good repair. He turned to the Steward of Gondor and smiled.

    “These tunnels are safe for a large group of people, then? What of spectators? The city seems to want to know how this contest will turn out,” he said.

     Faramir nodded. “I know, they are wagering on the Elves and the children. If Aragorn had a mind to, he could make a very handsome profit, selling seats to watch this round. However, I don’t think that it would be very wise to have spectators down here.”

     Gimli nodded and looked back around the storage tunnels. They were situated below the Citadel and the Palace, and were filled to overflowing with provisions. It was quite cool, if not cold, down here, and the Dwarf could see his breath misting in the still air. Stacks of crates and barrels leaned upon the walls, and braids of vegetables hung from the ceiling.  There wasn’t much in the way of obstruction; the peoples of Gondor liked to have everything in order. If he had been able, he would have taken them all back to the Glittering Caves of Aglarond for his part of the challenge. Alas, that was not an option, and so he would make due with the storage tunnels of Minas Tirith.

     “Faramir, lad, will you tell Aragorn that we shall hold the next contest the day after tomorrow? We dwarves will have everything in order by then.”

     “Certainly,” replied Faramir with a smile. “And I will tell the others.”

*****

  “Why do we have to go underground?” wailed Ella. “What madness has fallen upon him?”

    Eldarion shrugged. “He’s a dwarf, Ella. He lives underground.”

    “But these are not the Glittering Caves,” groused the Elfling. “At least the Glittering Caves are beautiful.”

    Theodwyn grinned at her elvish friend, and handed Ella one of her warm woolen coats. “If Gimli says that we must go underground to get Faramir back, than we must. It’s cold in the tunnels, though, Father said. We must all dress warmly.”

    “Are there ghosts in the tunnels, Theo?” whispered Rowan. “I’m afraid of ghosts.”

    “There are no ghosts, Rowan, and if there are, I will take Mamma’s sword and protect you,” Theodwyn replied.

    Rowan nodded, somewhat reassured, but Elfwine grinned wickedly at him. “Maybe there will be a giant spider, Ro, like the one that attacked the Ringbearer, and which Mr. Gamgee killed. Maybe one of that spider’s children lives in the storage tunnels!”

    Rowan turned white, Theodwyn’s eyes narrowed, and Legolas, sitting on the sofa, thought that was time to intervene.

    “Elfwine, stop teasing your cousin. Rowan, there are no spiders in the tunnels. They are used for storing the food you eat each night. Do you think that King Elessar would let something evil live in Minas Tirith?” he asked.

     Rowan shook his head and went to sit with the elf. The others turned back to their meeting. They were sitting in a semi-circle around Eldarion, looking to him for all the answers.

     “I’ve been down in the tunnels,” Eldarion told them. “They are very twisty, but there are directions carved on the walls, and so we won’t get lost. Besides, Father will probably put guards all over the tunnels, to make sure that nobody cheats, so we don’t need to worry.”

    Eldarion paused and glanced around the group. Theodwyn and Elfwine looked terribly excited, Ella looked apprehensive, and Rowan was sitting on Legolas’ lap, terror written all over his features. The young prince sighed. It would be mean to make two frightened children, and those his very good friends, go into a place that frightened them. An idea dawned in Eldarion’s mind, and he smiled brightly at them.

    “Ella! Rowan! We need someone to stay behind and take care of Legolas. Will you two do that?”

    Looks of intense relief spread across their two faces. “Certainly!” cried Ella, capping her hands. “Hannon le, Eldarion!”

     Legolas looked down at the frightened looking lad sitting on his lap. “Is that alright with you, Rowan? You don’t want to have an adventure?”

    Rowan shook his head. “I’m too little to have adventures, Legolas.”

    Legolas grinned to himself. Rowan was the same size that Pippin had been when they had set out on the Quest. Legolas did not doubt that coming from the parentage he had, Rowan would find his courage, even if it took him a long time.

      The children continued to plan for the event the next day, until there was a knock on the door, and Queen Arwen entered the nursery. “How are things going with you, children?” she asked.

     Eldarion sprang at his nanneth and caught her hand. “We are doing very well, Nana! Ella and Rowan are going to watch Legolas while Theo, Elfwine and I go down into the tunnels!”

    Arwen smiled at them all. “That is a very wise idea, Elfwine. But now, I fear that I must end the fun for the evening. It is time for bed, all of you.”

     A chorus of groans met this announcement, but the children obediently rose from their seats and left the room. Legolas followed, Theodwyn holding his rope, and bowed slightly to Arwen as he passed.

    “My lady,” he said in Elvish.

    “My lord,” she replied with a grin. “Are you enjoying yourself?”

    Legolas nodded, refusing to allow Arwen to see just how annoyed he was with her. “Of course. It is the most amusing thing in the world to be led around like a pet by a group of children. You should try it sometime.”

    Arwen swatted his arm and laughed. “Sleep well, mellon nin,” she said. “It will be a big day tomorrow.”

*****

   “I suppose that you know that Legolas will be wreaking his revenge on us for weeks to come,” Prince Faramir stated.

    Aragorn grinned and nodded. “Oh, I know,” he said. “I suppose that we deserve it.”

    “Oh, we do,” Faramir agreed. “Most assuredly, we do.”

  Aragorn looked out over the tunnels, which were now filled with light and bustling with people. A group of chairs sat on a raised dais near the entrance of the tunnels, and six long benches lined the walls. These benches were for the citizens of Minas Tirith to sit, if they cared to buy the tickets to the event that Arwen and Eowyn were shamelessly selling under assumed names. The next day promised to be an interesting one, to say the least.

     “Well, Aragorn, everything is ready!”

     Gimli’s booming voice echoed around them, and the King and the Steward smiled down at the dwarf. Gimli was striding up the tunnel towards them purposefully.

     “They will have a bit more trouble with this one than they did with that horse race,” he said. “It isn’t too difficult for them, though.”

     Aragorn nodded. “That is good, my dear dwarf. What can we say but ‘Bring on tomorrow’!”

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List