Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

On the Road to Imladris  by jenolas

6.  A Medicinal Brew

 

Haldir had left Eldarion to prepare the herbs for the tea while he fetched some water from a small stream that he had found a short distance into the forest. Eldarion was curious as to what Thranduil and the others were speaking about, and felt very much an outsider not to be included. Rather than concentrate on his task, he kept glancing over to where they were seated and was so distracted that he did not realise that he had picked up his medicine pouch rather than the one in which he kept the edible herbs. The leaves that went into the hot water were the rare ones he had collected at Parth Galen.

"Do not worry, Eldarion, you are not being ignored," said Haldir. " I am sure that once Thranduil has finished disciplining them, he will turn his sights on you."

"That is a disturbing thought. Unless I am mistaken, they all seemed to be afraid of him and I am sure he will be very angry with me,” he replied as he stared into the fire.

"It is not that they are afraid. They have great respect for their elders, and he is the Woodland King, after all," explained Haldir. "Why do you think he will be angry with you?"

"I carried the prank too far. I admit that I knew better than to disappear like I did," a morose Eldarion admitted.

”It would seem that you are soon to get the chance to tell them that," Haldir said inclining his head indicating that the others were approaching.


"Eldarion looks worried. I wonder what Haldir has been telling him," said Legolas as the four Elves neared the campfire.

"I see guilt, not fear in the young man's eyes," Thranduil commented. "Elladan, Elrohir, I think it best that you two should speak to your sister's son regarding his behaviour, I do not wish to interfere in what is obviously a family matter. Come, Legolas," he said placing his am around his son's shoulders and leading him to where Haldir could be seen filling some mugs with tea. "I am sorely in need of some refreshment, it has been an eventful afternoon."

Eldarion had moved away from the campfire and was sitting propped up against a boulder. His head was starting to ache again, but he felt a great sense of relief when Thranduil and Legolas joined Haldir as his uncles walked over to his resting place.

"You are looking quite pale," said Elladan as he and Elrohir sat down near their nephew. "Tell me, has your headache returned?"

"Very slightly," he admitted, allowing his uncle to check the swelling on the back of his head again. "Ouch, that hurts!" he exclaimed as Elladan's fingers ran over the tender spot.

"I am sorry, the swelling is going down but there will be quite a painful bruise there for a while," said Elladan, noticing that Eldarion was not really paying attention to him, he was too busy watching Thranduil.

"Do not fear, Thranduil has graciously deferred the task of reprimanding your recent behaviour to us," he said kindly, looking to Elrohir to continue. Eldarion breathed a sigh of relief, but soon realised Elrohir was taking this responsibility very seriously.

"I know we have barely had time to become properly acquainted, and as Thranduil pointed out, our first impression of you was likely coloured by your resemblance to Aragorn, with whom we grew up, as I am sure you know. We both made the mistake of judging your reactions by his behaviour, and for that, and the offence we gave regarding your lady, we humbly apologise,” said Elrohir with a slight incline of his head.

"However, you are not blameless in this," added Elladan sternly. "Not only were your actions foolish and dangerous, but you made us inadvertently betray the trust that Legolas, one of our dearest friends, had placed in us."

"Not to mention causing us all great fear for you safety," said Elrohir moving to place his hands gently on Eldarion's shoulders. "That is why the three of us were angry with you, and each other. Even though Legolas is not your blood kin, know that he, as well as Elladan and myself, cherish the children of our beloved Arwen and Aragorn and would do anything to prevent them from harm."

"I am truly very sorry, for I know now that I behaved in a totally irresponsible manner. I do not know what came over me, but I promise it will not happen again," declared Eldarion, looking confused as both Eldarion and Elladan started to laugh.

"I am sorry, too Eldarion," said Elrohir as he struggled to regain his composure, "but you sounded so much like your father when he was apologising to your grandfather for some youthful misdemeanour. He always made the same promise, and Adar’s response was always;

“Do not make a promise we both know you will not keep, Estel.”

You appear to have inherited his mischievous streak and there is no shame in that, just try not to let it hurt others."

"Or yourself," added Elladan, guessing that Eldarion's headache was worse than he admitted. "I think I will make you another dose of the headache relief medicine," he decided. "Where is the medicine pouch?"

"Over by the fire, I think," answered Eldarion his mind still a little confused.

"While you two play healer and patient, I will go and tell Thranduil that we have done our duty by our nephew and that he is suitably repentant," said Elrohir, smiling at the glares he received from both Elladan and Eldarion.

Thranduil was already enjoying his second mug of tea when Elrohir joined them.

"I am pleased to inform you that apologies have been given and accepted, and misconduct suitably reprimanded," Elrohir said with a small bow to Thranduil. Seating himself next to Legolas, he took the mug Haldir handed him and drank a long draught of the refreshing fluid.

Elladan came over to the campfire, looking for the medicine pouch, which he found still open, next to a similar one Eldarion carried with him containing Legolas' favourite mix of tealeaves and other assorted edibles. A frown creased his forehead because he was certain he had closed it after he had finished with it earlier. Taking a couple of the leaves used to relieve headache and some of the water Haldir had collected, he quickly made his potion.

"Is there any tea left?" he asked when he had finished.

"Of course," answered Legolas, handing him a mug containing the steaming liquid. Elladan nodded his thanks then returned to where Eldarion was resting. After making sure his nephew swallowed the medicine, he took a sip from his mug and immediately spat it out, recognising the taste as definitely not herb tea. His eyes widened with alarm and he ran to the campfire and kicked the pot containing the brew from its place by the fire, spilling the contents on the ground.

"What is the meaning of this?" demanded Thranduil. "Have you taken leave of your senses?"

"No, but I am afraid that all of you will not be feeling your usual selves shortly," he answered. "It appears that the leaves from which the tea was made were of a kind used to numb the senses when a painful procedure, such as removing an arrow head, is to be performed."

"Not those ones Eldarion found at Parth Galen?" asked Legolas. "The ones he said caused light headedness?”

“That is a common side effect of the leaves, yes,” admitted Elladan.

“ Why would he make tea from those?” asked an alarmed Thranduil.

"I fear I am partially to blame," volunteered Haldir in Eldarion's defence. "He was still feeling very confused from his concussion when he prepared the tea. Obviously he used the wrong leaves without realising his mistake."

"I am afraid so, but I am surprised no one noticed the taste. It is rather unpleasant. How much tea did you drink?" He asked while he checked the medicine pouch again, making a mental note to see to his nephew's training as a healer as soon as they reached Imladris. It was very fortunate that Eldarion had only used three of the six leaves he had collected, making the tea quite weak.

"One," answered Haldir and Legolas in unison.

"Barely half a mug," replied Elrohir.

"Two!" exclaimed Thranduil suddenly losing his balance. Legolas rushed to his side and helped him be seated on the grass.

"Is there no antidote?" asked Haldir hopefully.

"None that I know of, you will just have to let it wear off naturally,” confessed Elladan who was feeling a little helpless. He was certain there was an antidote, but it was likely something Elrond knew, and he was no longer within reach.

"How long does it take our healing powers to overcome the effects?" asked Legolas, looking with concern at the strange smile on Thranduil's face. "I assume the more we drank, the longer the effect lasts."

"Exactly, but as to how quickly it takes effect, and how long it lasts, I am not certain. I have only used it twice, both times on Rangers, not Elves."

"So what do you suggest we do, my dear brother?" asked Elrohir, placing his arm around Elladan's shoulder in a gesture of brotherly affection.

"I suggest you all should find a nice quiet spot and try to get some sleep," Elladan answered, trying to imagine how difficult it would be to watch over four 'unstable' Elves at once. To make matters worse, it was already past sunset, and he would have the added disadvantage of darkness to deal with.

"But I am not tired," Elrohir answered, pouting like a young elfling, obviously already feeling the effects of the unusual brew.

"Then perhaps you should go and sit with Eldarion, he is not feeling well. I am sure he will welcome your company." Elladan sighed with relief as his brother decided that was an excellent idea and complied with his request. One less to worry about, he thought until he heard Elrohir call out to Eldarion,

"I have come to take care of you Aragorn… er…  Estel… Elessar?…  Strider? …  What name are you using this week?"

"Pick one, Elrohir, I like them all," answered Eldarion, humouring his uncle as he sat beside him. He glanced up at Elladan and with a slight incline of his head confirmed that he would take care of this particular wayward Elf. That left three for Elladan. Only a slightly easier challenge, he thought ruefully.

"You know, Haldir," Thranduil was saying, " we never would have found that youngster if the trees had not guided us. I think it is only proper, since I am the King of the Woodland realm, that I should thank them." So saying, he walked, albeit a little unsteadily, to the nearest tree and placed his arms around it, gave it a big hug and whispered 'thank you'. When Elladan saw that this pursuit was not likely to come to any harm, he turned his attention from the 'tree hugger' to Haldir and Legolas who were busily setting up an archery target.

"What are you two doing?" he asked.

"Setting up a target, of course," scoffed Legolas. "I have challenged Haldir to a contest."

"Surely it is becoming too dark for shooting," Elladan commented, concerned with letting them handle weapons in their present state.

"Nonsense." replied Haldir. "Even a Dwarf could still see in this light. Shall we begin?" Using a technique Elladan was sure neither of them had learned from their respective Master Archers, they attempted to nock their bows and shoot. Naturally both missed and he could not help but laugh when Legolas called to Thranduil.

"Adar, since you must hug the trees, could you please come and hold this one still? It seems to be deliberately moving," entreated Legolas. Elladan's mirth quickly turned to alarm when he realised that the King was going to do as his son asked.

"Very well, Leg'las," he replied with a slight slur. "We can not let that Lothlórien upstart win, now can we?"

"Who is 'legless'?" asked Haldir, carefully checking to see if his limbs were still in the right place. Eldarion and Elrohir laughed out loud at Haldir's confusion.

"He meant me, L-e-g-o-l-a-s," answered his opponent, pointing to his chest. "I do not think you are in a fit state to shoot, Haldir. I declare myself the winner!" Elladan simply rolled his eyes at that statement coming from one who was suffering a similar state of mind.

Looking around to see where Thranduil was, Elladan was relieved to see that the King had settled himself beneath one of his trees, his eyes glazed in peaceful sleep. He was not surprised, since Thranduil had ingested more of the brew than the others, and he hoped he would wake up with nothing more than a headache. Elrohir was still laughing uncontrollably and he just shrugged at Eldarion's questioning look. There was nothing to do but wait until he fell asleep also. Haldir and Legolas were a different proposition for now they were debating who would win a rowing race.

"There are three boats on the riverbank." Haldir told him. "Shall we see who is the first to reach Lothlórien? I have some excellent wine in my cellar, just the thing for such a beautiful evening."

"I think you should wait until Thranduil and Elrohir wake up, then we can have three teams of two," suggested Elladan, thinking quickly. "It would be more fun to have a competition between Lothlórien, Eryn Lasgalen and Imladris, would it not?"

"Excellent idea, Elladan!" exclaimed Legolas. "I would welcome the chance to defeat both of you at the same time!"

"Yes, I agree it is a good plan, but what makes you so sure you would win?" challenged Haldir.

"Because Adar and I are the best!" Legolas declared as if it was obvious to everyone.

"Let us just sit over here by the fire until they awaken. I do not think they will sleep long." Elladan knew it was a lie, but neither of the others noticed. As he had hoped, they both soon fell asleep, and he sighed with relief.

"Nicely handled, Elladan," said Eldarion from his spot beneath the tree where he was gently cradling his sleeping uncle's head in his lap. "How long will they sleep?"

"Until morning, I hope. I suggest you do the same, for you also need to recover. I will keep watch in case anyone awakes."

The soft sounds of the slow deep breathing of sleeping Elves was like a gentle sigh of a light breeze whispering through the leaves, reassuring Elladan that his companions had suffered no ill effects from the mishap with the tea. Peering into the depths of the woods around the camp, he could neither see nor sense any danger lurking in the immediate vicinity, not that he really expected to, for he knew that Thranduil's Elves had cleansed the great forest of any remaining minions of the Dark Lord.

What he did see near one of the trees, however, were several arrows, some fletched after the fashion of Lothlórien and others with the new pattern Legolas had designed for Ithilien. He walked over to the makeshift target to retrieve his friend's stray arrows, unable to stop from laughing quietly as he replayed the evening's strange events in his mind. Elladan found himself wondering whether Eldarion could possibly cause any more mischief, albeit inadvertently, than he had in the last few days. He fervently hoped not!

All was still peaceful when he returned to sit by the fire, idly watching the sparks dance as he poked the glowing embers with a twig. Impressed as ever with his friend's skill as an archer, he picked up one of the Ithilien arrows to study it more closely. The sound of footsteps approaching caught his attention and since there was only one amongst his charges who did not move with Elven silence, he easily identified them as belonging to his nephew.

"I see you are admiring Legolas' work," the young man said, nodding at the arrow as he sat beside his uncle. "It took him many attempts before he was finally satisfied that his design was absolutely perfect.

"That is Legolas for you, it is an excellent design and his craftsmanship is flawless," Elladan replied. Looking closely at his nephew he voiced his concern for the young man's well-being. "You should still be sleeping, has your headache returned to keep you awake?"

"No, actually I feel quite well, it is my hunger that woke me," stated Eldarion. "Is there anything to eat?" Elladan retrieved the food pack and handed him a piece of waybread.

"Here," he said offering him a mug of water as well. "You will probably need this to wash it down. Do not fear," he said as Eldarion hesitated to take it, "I can assure you it is ONLY water!" They both burst out laughing.

"I hope they will not be too angry with me in the morning, it was an honest mistake," the young man said ruefully.

"Yes, and a highly amusing one at that," agreed his uncle.

"You had better hope that Thranduil will also think of the incident as an amusing accident, he has a fierce temper," warned Elrohir as he rose groggily to his feet and joined the others at the fire. "Is there any lembas left, or have you two eaten it all?"

"You have made a quick recovery," said Elladan, clapping his brother on the shoulder in a sign of affection as he handed him some food and water that was quickly consumed.

"Since we are all alert and we must remain here until the others awake, I think we should spend the time becoming better acquainted with our nephew," suggested Elladan.

"Yes, all we really know about you is that you are travelling to Imladris to learn more of your heritage," stated Elrohir, "tell us of your life in Minas Tirith."

"I would be happy to, what do you wish to know?"

The remaining hours until dawn passed quickly as he answered his uncle's many questions about friends and family, the young lady he was in love with, his hopes and fears for the future, his dreams. By the time he had satisfied their curiosity, the first rays of sunlight appeared on the horizon, signalling the beginning of a new day.

As if they had also received some signal, Legolas and Haldir both awoke, looking around in slight confusion, for neither remembered much about their behaviour the night before.

"It appears that the effects of the 'tea' have worn off," Haldir said as he stood and stretched the tight muscles in his lithe body.

"Thank the Valar!" exclaimed Legolas as he spotted Thranduil, who was apparently still sleeping, and quickly moved to his adar’s side to ensure that he was unharmed. He was horrified as he remembered asking him to hold the target tree still, but did not recall whether or not he had actually shot at it. Discovering no sign of injury, Legolas gently shook Thranduil’s shoulder to wake him and breathed a sigh of relief when the glazed look in the eyes of the sleeping Elven King slowly disappeared as he focussed his attention on his surroundings.

"Good morning, Adar. How are you feeling?" inquired Legolas. "Do you recall what happened earlier?"

"I am feeling extremely well, now that I have recovered my senses," he stated. "I only have a vague recollection; something to do with trees. I believe it was your young friend who mixed the wrong leaves in the tea," he said, glaring angrily at Eldarion who cringed under the weight of power in the King's eyes. "I trust such an incident will not occur again?" he asked, his voice dripping disapproval for the one who caused his infirmity.

"No. I apologise to everyone for the mistake," replied Eldarion. They could all sense the sincerity and regret in his voice.

"I will hold you to that," said Thranduil. "Although I will concede that your state of confusion played some part in the incident." He was obviously still feeling a little unsteady because he gladly accepted the hand Legolas offered to help him stand up and using his son's arm for support they both walked back to the campfire.

"What happens next?" asked Haldir, who was also almost fully recovered from his 'affliction.'

 "I must return the boats to Lothlórien, before someone decides to send out a search party for us!"

"Elladan and I will take each take one back as well," offered Elrohir. "Will you come with us, Eldarion? We will begin the return journey to Imladris early tomorrow I think."

"I mean no disrespect Uncles, but now that I am this close to Legolas' home, I would rather go with him, for I have waited a long time for the chance to visit Eryn Lasgalen."

"If you two do not object, Eldarion and I will meet you at the pass through the Misty Mountains in ten days," said Legolas to Elladan and Elrohir.

"Yes, that is acceptable," replied Elladan, "but it is Thranduil's permission to enter his realm that Eldarion should be seeking, is it not?"

"Have I your permission, King Thranduil?" asked Eldarion with a courtly bow.

"Yes, you young mischief-maker, you have my permission to visit Eryn Lasgalen," allowed Thranduil, with a smile that could only be felt, but not seen by the Elves present. "However, this permission does not extend to that 'medicine' pouch of yours. My healers are well able to provide you with medicine should you have a need." Everyone laughed at the King's decree and Elladan graciously offered to take charge of the medicinal herbs until Eldarion arrived in Imladris.

With their plans finalised, Thranduil, Legolas and Eldarion took their leave and soon disappeared into the forest on their northward journey. Elladan, Elrohir and Haldir returned to the riverbank and the Elven boats they had left there days before.

"I will certainly be glad to return to Lothlórien," Haldir called to the others as they rowed back across the Anduin. "I am sorely in need of a decent meal and a nice glass of my favourite wine!" Elladan looked slightly alarmed and rowed closer to Elrohir and whispered in a voice he hoped was too quiet for Haldir to hear.


"I hope he does not mean that bottle of red that we 'borrowed' from his cellar before we took Eldarion to Cerin Amroth!"

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List