Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

White Sands, Warm Hearts  by jenolas

2. New Acquaintances

The first golden rays of sunlight filtered through the leaves of the trees, signalling the arrival of the new day and an end to Thranduil's first night back in his wife's arms.

"I think I would be quite content to just stay here, like this, until the world ends. Are you sure we must leave?" asked Thranduil sleepily as he brushed his cheek against the silkiness of Elisiel's hair as she lay resting her head on his shoulder.

"We could stay, but Legolas will expect to see us at breakfast, and surely you have not already had your fill of your grandson? I know I have not," she declared, feeling the smile that rose from within him as he remembered holding the babe for the first time.

"Neither have I, but nor have I had enough of you," he sighed as he gently lifted her chin so that he could steal another kiss.

"There are other places, just as lovely and secluded as this, perhaps we will have time later today to explore them together?" The sultriness in her voice left Thranduil in no doubt as to her intents.

"I shall look forward to that," he said as he stood and helped her up. Keeping his hand firmly in hers, Elisiel lead him the short distance into the forest where Legolas had made his home. As she had explained to Thranduil when they had actually taken some time to talk rather than make love, she had moved in with Legolas not long after he and Gimli had finished building the house.

"I am surprised Legolas did not choose a position closer to the sea," commented Thranduil as they headed inland. "Although he fought against it, I could feel how strongly the call of the sea affected him."

"Perhaps if he had come alone he may have, but Gimli was not fond of the sea. I believe he suffered from sea sickness all the way here," explained Elisiel. "It is a long, but pleasant walk to the shore from here."

"Our son made many sacrifices for his friends," said Thranduil.

"And he still grieves deeply for them, but for Gimli and Elessar most of all," said Elisiel, her heart breaking for the sadness she knew lay hidden inside her son. "I thank the Valar that he met Neridwen, for it was her love that helped him bear Gimli's passing."

"How long did Glóin's son live?" asked Thranduil.

"Barely long enough to allow Legolas to come to terms with Elessar's death, I am afraid."

"I tried to warn him that mortal years pass swiftly, but he did not heed my counsel," said Thranduil.

"And you were surprised by his stubbornness?" she asked lightly. "I am not, for that is one of the many traits you two have in common. That is Legolas' home, there through the trees," she said, pointing to several single storey buildings that seemed to be part of the forest, each section connected by a wide hallway to form a single structure.

As they walked soundlessly through the hallway that lead to Elisiel's wing of rooms, Thranduil noted the Dwarfish influence in the elegantly carved archways that served as both windows and doors, allowing as much access to the forest that surrounded the dwelling as possible, and the slightly salty air to waft unhindered through the house.

"The overall design reminds me very much of Elrond's home at Imladris," observed Thranduil, his words fading to stunned silence as he entered the room that was obviously to be their bedchamber. On anticipation of his eventual arrival, Elisiel had decorated the room to look exactly the same as the one they had shared in Mirkwood. There was even a fresh set of clothes laid out for him on the end the invitingly large bed.

"Yes, Celebrían says the same thing. Do you approve of my décor?" asked Elisiel, noting the look of recognition in his eyes. Thranduil wandered around the room, taking in the details before following her into the bathing room. She opened the outlet that allowed water from the warm underground springs to fill her bathing pool, and Thranduil smiled with anticipation as he noted it was easily large enough to hold two.

"Very much, although I would be just as pleased with a blanket under the stars as long as you were with me," he said, earning himself a long, slow, highly erotic kiss. When he finally released her, he was struck by a rather incongruous thought. "Ai, I had completely forgotten about Elrond. Does he live nearby?" he asked as he quickly followed his wife's lead and shed his clothes so that he could join her in the refreshing water.

"He and Celebrían live some distance away. Glorfindel also lives with them," she answered as she began to rub a sweet scented soap all over his body. Thranduil relaxed under her ministrations, all thoughts of arranging to meet Elrond forgotten for the moment.

"I take it that this is one of those 'secluded' places you mentioned earlier?' he asked hopefully.

"Yes," she replied, in answer to both the question he had voiced and the one he had implied. Her were eyes alight with longing as she handed him the soap and turned her back to him so that he could wash it for her, "we do not have much time, for I must soon go and help Neridwen prepare breakfast."

"Then we had best make good use of the time we do have," he said, taking her in his arms.

                                                  ********

Legolas woke to the sound of his son's rather loud wails, and carefully removing Neridwen's soft arm from across his chest, he left the warmth of their bed and walked through the open doorway into the adjoining nursery.

"Good morning, Estellan. I see that you are in need of some fresh clothing, again!" he commented as he expertly replaced the wet items with dry ones. The sound of his Adar's voice, and the gentle touch of his hands soon silenced the babe's cries and before he reached into the crib to pick his son up, Legolas wisely tied his hair back into a ponytail. He hated having his hair pulled, even by his son. "It is such a lovely morning, shall we go outside and enjoy the sun?" he asked smiling down on the wriggling bundle in his arms, and wondering just how long it would be before his son would be able to answer with words. Estellan's contentment in his Adar's arms did not last long, and he began to cry once more, this time waking Neridwen.

"As much as I am certain he loves you, Legolas, I think that at the moment I am the one he needs," she called through the archway. Estellan turned his head to the direction from which his naneth's voice had come and wriggled a little more furiously.

Legolas waited until she had settled herself comfortably into a sitting position in the bed before handing the child to her waiting arms, and his current source of nourishment. The cries of the hungry babe were quickly replaced by the contented sounds of suckling, and as he did whenever he could, Legolas sat beside Neridwen, his arm resting gently around her shoulders as he watched in fascination as she fed their son.

A gentle knock on the door disturbed the serenity of the moment, and Legolas called softly for his Naneth to enter.

"I thought I heard him crying," she said, smiling happily at the lovely family scene before her, and reaching over to softly stroke her grandson's cheek. "I have sent Thranduil ahead to the kitchen so that I could make sure that our plans for today have not changed."

"Well, not as far as I am concerned," confirmed Legolas. "But perhaps you and Adar have something else you would rather do today?" he asked, his voice dripping with innuendo that was not lost on Elisiel, as she quickly realised that the afterglow of lovemaking had not yet dissipated from her skin.

"No, I think we have had our fill of each other's company for this morning, at least," she replied, teasing Legolas in a like fashion. Legolas had never seen his Naneth in such a mood before, nor had she ever looked so content, but drawing Neridwen a little closer, he certainly understood the reason why.

"I think I had better go and help them prepare breakfast," he said as he kissed both his wife and son before he rose from the bed and offered Elisiel his arm. "I fear that if I leave them alone too long, the food will likely grow cold," he added with a knowing wink at his Naneth, who simply patted his hand playfully.

"Considering the mood your Adar is in this morning, dear, that would be a distinct possibility," she agreed, joining in her son's merry laughter as they walked to the kitchen.

Thranduil made the herbal tea that Legolas told him Neridwen favoured, while Elisiel prepared a wonderfully delicious omelette that had always been one of Thranduil's favourites. Legolas was relegated to peeling and slicing the fresh fruit, since cooking was probably the one area in which he was least skilled.

"There is no longer a need for your fighting skills, Legolas, but wielding a paring knife will at least give you a little practice," he had said, laughing loudly at his own 'joke'. Legolas' response to his Adar's sense of humour had been an exaggerated groan that accompanied a rolling of his eyes. But he smiled happily nonetheless because nothing could detract from the contentment he felt at having all his family together for the first time.

By the time Neridwen had finished feeding Estellan, settled him back to sleep and made her way to the kitchen, the others were already seated around the table and breakfast was well underway.

"Good morning Adar," said Neridwen as she leant down to kiss Thranduil lightly on the cheek.

"It is indeed," agreed Thranduil with a rather private sideways glance at Elisiel. "How fares my grandson?" he asked as he ushered Neridwen to the seat next to him and poured her some tea.

"Wet and hungry, as usual," she replied, earning a chuckle from Thranduil.

"I thought perhaps we might spend the morning together," he suggested. "I wish to become better acquainted with the new additions to my family."

"I would love that, and so would Estellan," she said, smiling sweetly at him, glad to be able to spend some time with her new Adar, as well as to be able to assist Legolas and Naneth in the surprise they were planning for Thranduil.

"It appears our presence is no longer required, Naneth," said Legolas, failing to sound the least bit insulted. "Perhaps you would care to take a walk with me into Alqualondë after breakfast?"

"I would like that," she said, trying not to show her relief at having good reason to leave Thranduil so soon after he had arrived. She had been wondering what excuse she could possibly use that would not make him suspicious of their plans. "However, before we leave there is something I must attend to," she said as she walked over to stand behind Thranduil. Very gently she combed his hair with her fingers, ignoring the effect she sensed she was having on him as she braided his hair into a single queue and fastened it with a clasp she had in her pocket. "Since you intend to spend time with Estellan, this is a necessity," she said referring to her grandson's love for hair pulling. "I will remove the braid for you later," she whispered playfully into his ear.

"I will hold you to that promise," he answered softly, kissing her fingertips.

                                            *********

After Legolas and Elisiel had left on their errands, Thranduil surprised Neridwen by helping her with the mundane task of cleaning away the breakfast dishes.

"Would you like to know how Legolas and I met?" she asked as they worked.

"Certainly, I am most anxious to hear all that happened to my son once he arrived here," he replied. "And your story is by far the most important one, as far as I am concerned."

"There is not much to tell, really. I was at the markets that are sometimes held at the pier on the day his grey ship arrived. There was much concern and surprise and even some bigotry expressed when it became known that the Dwarf, Gimli had accompanied him," she said sadly. "There were many cruel words spoken until Legolas pointed out that unless Gimli had the grace of the Valar, he would not even have survived the journey. Even so the ill feeling remained until the Lady Galadriel arrived and welcomed Gimli as elf- friend. You should have seen the startled looks on the faces of some of our folk when she actually kissed his brow!" said Neridwen, her eyes alight with merriment at a memory she found highly amusing.

"I can imagine," said Thranduil, also amused at the image she described. Trust Galadriel to resolve the issue in such an unlikely manner. "To be honest, I reacted in much the same way as our kinfolk when I learned of their friendship, but I managed to develop a rapport with the gruff son of Glóin," admitted Thranduil.

"We also became friends and I loved him, both as my husband's best friend, and for the delightfully warm and compassionate person I found him to be," said Neridwen honestly, her eyes filling with tears at the grief she also bore for the loss of the Dwarf. "I am sorry, I do not mean to cry but it grieves me to think of his passing," she said sadly.

"There is no need to apologise," replied Thranduil. "So when did you and Legolas actually meet?"

"When I went over to welcome the Dwarf. I had barely wished him a good day when I happened to glance over to Legolas. He was staring at me, and from the very first moment our eyes met, I knew he was the one. My heart and soul sang with joy and I could hear the harmony to my song in his. Ai Adar, it was the most astonishingly beautiful and intense emotional experience I have ever felt." She stopped speaking for a moment to collect her thoughts, and Thranduil was humbled by the radiance that shone in her eyes and on her face as she spoke of her love for his son. Neridwen sipped her tea slowly before continuing. "Neither of us was even aware of what we were doing until Galadriel approached us and, after telling us that she well understood the beauty and wonder of finding the one who completes you, she suggested we find somewhere more private before proceeding any further with our mutual display of affection. Her words broke the spell that bound us, and we both awoke as if from a dream, only to find ourselves held tightly in each other's arms, 'kissing as if there was no tomorrow' as Gimli described it." Thranduil laughed heartily at what was a rather crude, but most likely accurate description.

"Many of us know instantly when we meet our soul mates," said Thranduil. "I thank you for speaking so openly with me, although you do not know me."

"Legolas and Naneth have spoken of you so often that in fact I do feel that I already know you. You are Legolas' Adar, what higher recommendation could there be?" she asked.

"I am also Estellan's grandsire, and is that not his voice I hear?" asked Thranduil as the unmistakable sounds of the babe's crying echoed along the hallway.

"Yes, apparently he is awake and is objecting to being left alone. Shall we go and console him?" she suggested.

The cries did not diminish until Estellan was safely in his naneth's arms, listening to her softly spoken words of comfort. "Your grandsire wishes to spend some time with you, Estellan," she said as she placed the babe gently into Thranduil's arms. As he bent to kiss the tiny forehead, a small hand reached up and, had not Elisiel tied his hair back, Thranduil would once more have found his hair entangled in tiny, but surprisingly strong fingers.

The three generations spent a very pleasant morning together, with Estellan seeming to delight in being the centre of attention. He apparently adored his grandsire, for Neridwen commented several times how unusually happy and content her son was just to lay in his arms, his tiny fingers wrapped around one of Thranduil's.

Neridwen spent much of the time answering questions about Valinor, and when she found it too painful to speak of her own parents, who now resided in Mandos' Hall as a result of an Orc attack, Thranduil respected her wishes and turned the conversation tales of his days as King of Mirkwood. Days when Legolas was still a mischievous young elfling. The stories he had to tell of this time were both humorous and heart warming, and Neridwen enjoyed them immensely. As the morning wore on, Estellan decided, rather loudly, that it was time for another meal. Leaving Neridwen to nurse her son in private, Thranduil wandered out into the large garden at the back of the house.

He found himself wondering if the secluded glade that formed part of the garden was the one to which Elisiel had eluded earlier that morning, and decided that it would certainly serve that particular purpose well. There was also certain serenity about the garden, and Thranduil believed that it had more to do with his own contentment than simply his being in the Undying Lands.

A small alcove tucked away in the corner caught his eye, and his curiosity piqued, he walked over to inspect what looked like a memorial of some kind. Kneeling down to trace his fingers over the simply carved motif of a dwarf's battle-axe, across which lay a bow and arrow decorated after the style of Mirkwood. Beneath the symbol of friendship were a few simple words written in both Elvish and Dwarfish runes;

"Here lies the Elf-friend, Gimli, son of Glóin.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List