Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Reflections of the Past  by shirebound

Responses to reviews are located at the end of the chapter.

 

REFLECTIONS OF THE PAST

Notes for Chapter 4:   Many thanks to Nilmandra for reminding me about “tug”, and for helping me to picture the northern lands of Middle-earth in the First Age.  Thanks also to Treehugger and Nilmandra for help with the Elvish in this chapter.

Chapter 4 --- From Ages Past

 

Frodo awoke to Bilbo’s gentle hand on his forehead.

“Did I fall asleep?” Frodo yawned.  “What time is it?”

“Time for supper,” Bilbo said.  “Are you feeling better?”

“Much better.”  Frodo sat up and looked around the bed.  “Where’s Scamp?”

“Estel is entertaining her.  Or I should say, she’s entertaining him.”  Bilbo said.  “You needed to rest, and I thought you might fall asleep easier if she wasn’t bouncing around the room.”

“She doesn’t bother me,” Frodo said, his blue eyes sparkling.  “I didn’t think I could ever get used to having a dog around, but I just love it -- and her.”

“I thought you might,” Bilbo said.

“She tricked us, you know,” Frodo informed him.  “That first night, at the Cottons’, when she was so quiet and sleepy?  All an act.”

“I wouldn’t exactly say it was an act,” Bilbo laughed.

“Maybe not,” Frodo grinned, “but it turns out she’s got real spirit.”

“Sounds like a young hobbit I know,” Bilbo chuckled.  “Such a gentle and scholarly lad, but on the inside there’s such courage and spirit, and the ability to accomplish anything he sets his mind to.”

“Me?” Frodo asked, amazed.

“Absolutely,” Bilbo smiled.

Frodo suddenly threw his arms around the old hobbit.  “I never even said ‘thank you’, Bilbo.  Scamp needed a real home just like I did.  How did you know I could get over my fear long enough to get to know her?”

Bilbo hugged Frodo tightly.  “I just knew, Frodo lad.  You have such a big heart… and it’s so wonderful to have someone to love.”  He drew back and gazed at Frodo, his eyes wet.  “I know how wonderful it is, for me.”

“Oh Bilbo,” Frodo said softly, “I’m so lucky.”  He grinned suddenly.  “You haven’t discovered anything new while I was asleep, did you?  Have you sent out a call for the Dwarves to level The Hill?”

“Not yet!” Bilbo laughed.  “Wash up and come to supper.”

When Frodo came to the dining room, he found Aragorn sitting on the floor with Scamp.  He was pulling gently on a rope of knotted-together rags, with Scamp firmly attached to the other end by her teeth.  She was pulled back and forth, never letting go, growling deep in her throat. 

“Won’t that hurt her?” Frodo asked anxiously.

“Not at all,” Aragorn grinned.  “She’d let go if she wanted to.  She’s enjoying this -- see how her tail is wagging?  Puppies like to bite and chew things; it feels good on their gums and teeth.”  Frodo sat next to him, the sight of the big Man and the tiny pup playing together bringing a smile to his lips.  He took the rope from Aragorn, surprised at how powerful the puppy’s tugs felt.

“I didn’t know she knew how to growl,” Frodo said in amazement.  He pulled a little harder.  “Let go, you crazy dog.”

“She’s quite stubborn,” Aragorn observed, “just like a Baggins.”  He looked at Frodo.  “I’m glad you rested.”

“So am I,” Frodo replied.  “But when are you going to tell us what you know about the stone?”

“After supper,” Aragorn said quietly.  “I’ll tell you everything -- or at least… everything I can tell you.”

Frodo tore into Bilbo’s roast chicken and potatoes, fresh greens, and lemon cake, partly from hunger and partly out of excitement to finish quickly, go back to the stone-chamber, and hear the Ranger’s story.  Aragorn continued to be amazed at how much hobbits ate, and how often, but he savored Bilbo’s wonderful meals every bit as much as Frodo, and the feeling of ‘home’ that surrounded him. 

Just as Frodo and Bilbo were clearing away the dishes, and insisting that Aragorn not help them, there was a knock at the door, and Frodo ran to answer it.  He returned to the dining room with Sam in tow.

“You said to come back after supper, Mr. Bilbo,” Sam said.  Scamp ran over to him, dragging her new toy and laying it at his feet.  “Am I too early?”

“Perfect timing, Samwise,” Bilbo smiled.  “Let’s take a closer look at what this old Hill has been hiding all these years.”

Sam bent to inspect the rag-rope.  “What’s this?”

“Try to take it,” Frodo advised.  Sam gingerly picked up one damp end, and Scamp instantly clamped onto the other end, pulling and growling.

“Is this what you’re teachin’ her, Mr. Frodo?” Sam grinned.  “How to chew things?  I thought she already knew how to do that right well, considerin’ what you brought my ma.”

“What do you mean?” Bilbo asked, puzzled.

“It’s nothing, Bilbo,” Frodo said hastily.  He shot Sam a warning look, then tried to pull Aragorn up from his seat.  “Please, Estel, can’t we go now?” 

“This is your home, Frodo,” Aragorn smiled, rising to his feet.  “It is I who should ask permission of you and Bilbo to come and go.”

‘You certainly have my permission,” Bilbo laughed.  “I’m as curious as Frodo and Sam to find out what you know.”

“That stone holds something very, very special,” Aragorn said quietly, “and is older than you can imagine.”

*~*~*~*~*

Even in the inadequate light of the lanterns, Frodo could see that the woman in the carving was beautiful -- more than beautiful.  Her long hair, thick and wavy, appeared to stir slightly in an unseen breeze.   Her gown fell to her feet, sleeves full and draping softly downwards.  Slender, delicate arms reached out for someone or something to her left, her expression luminous and haunting.  The image carved into the stone was a work of exquisite craft, and Frodo gazed in wonder at loveliness he had never imagined.  The artist had worked delicate strands of silver and gold into the rock itself, making hair, gown, and mantle shimmer.

The necklace around the woman’s throat caught the eye, and held it.  Tiny, colored gems set amidst strand upon interwoven strand of gold gave it a nearly hypnotic quality, and cast brilliant sparks about the cavern.  The necklace appeared large and bulky, but about the woman’s throat it somehow rested with grace and did not seem a burden.

But even the gems in the woman’s hair and necklace were outshone by the single large, faceted crystal caught in the center of the necklace, which radiated fiery sparks and a near-blinding radiance.

Together, the effect of the woman’s loveliness and the glittering, exquisite necklace were almost too much to encompass, and no one spoke for many moments.  If the image was life-sized, then the woman had been taller even than Aragorn, who stood before it, reverently.

“Such a lovely face,” Bilbo murmured at last.  He gazed in awe at the woman’s perfect features, at the eyes which reflected light and longing and deep wisdom.

“It is Lúthien,” Aragorn said quietly.  “There can be no doubt.”

“Who was she?” Sam whispered.

“Lúthien lived -- and died -- in the First Age, Sam,” Aragorn replied.  “Perhaps you will hear her story told in full, some day.  She was the daughter of Elf and Maia, and fell in love with a mortal -- Beren, son of Barahir.  Their story is one of the great tales of all time.”

“I thought Elves lived forever,” Sam said, puzzled.

“Lúthien chose mortality,” Aragorn said softly.  “Her Elvish decendents, although there were few, have had the same choice given to them -- whether to live as Elf or mortal.”

“Are you certain it’s her?” asked Frodo.

“Lord Elrond’s daughter is said to have been born in the likeness of Lúthien,” Aragorn replied.  “I see that the tales are true -- she bears a strong resemblance to this image.  Lúthien was her great-great grandmother.  But it is not just the resemblance that tells me who this is, but the necklace the stone carver has shown her wearing.”

“Such a necklace would have surpassed anything I saw in Smaug’s hoard,” Bilbo said, raising his lantern higher.  “Was it of Dwarvish make?”

“You have a good eye, Bilbo,” Aragorn said.  “This represents the Nauglamír.”

“I remember that ‘mír’ is “jewel”,” said Frodo thoughtfully, remembering the word from Aragorn’s Elvish phrasebook, “but what does---”

“That’s very good,” Aragorn said approvingly.  “Nauglamír means ‘dwarf jewel,’ or as it is more usually called, ‘dwarf necklace’.  The gems in the original necklace were from Valinor, and it is said that the virtue of those jewels caused the heavy gold to sit lightly upon the neck, and enhanced the beauty of those who wore it.  When Lúthien and Beren died, the necklace was passed down to their son, Dior, and then to his daughter, Elwing.  The Nauglamír was the cause of great strife between Dwarves and Elves, and bitterness remains between them, to this day.”

“What became of it?” Bilbo asked.

“It is said that Elwing’s husband, Eärendil, wears this necklace still,” Aragorn continued.  “He  has the great jewel you see here represented in crystal -- one of the Silmarili of Fëanor -- bound to his brow.  It is that very jewel that we see at night -- Eärendil’s star, beloved of the Elves.”

“That bright star is really a jewel?” Sam asked in amazement.

“If the necklace had not been taken to the stars,” Frodo asked, “who would now wear it?”

“Lord Elrond,” Aragorn replied, “for he is Elwing’s only living son.  Or perhaps Elrond’s daughter…”  He became lost in thought for a moment, then came out of his reverie and smiled down at the hobbits.  “Better that it circle above us, forever out of reach, than be the cause of more death and grief.  Rivendell would not be the haven it is, perhaps, if the Nauglamír rested there, a temptation to those who might seek it, still.”  He looked thoughtful.  “Rivendell remains a place of great peace, and may it always be so.”

Frodo saw that Sam was frowning in concentration, and he assumed that too many Elvish names had flown too quickly past his young friend’s head -- but that wasn’t what was bothering Sam.

“Mr. Bilbo,” Sam said suddenly, “maybe this lady is buried here, beneath the stone!”

“Bag End is no barrow, Sam.”  Aragorn smiled and picked up Scamp, who was chewing contentedly on one of his bootlaces.  “If there were bodies here, however ancient, I suspect that Scamp’s nose and senses would have detected them.  No,” he continued, “although no one knows the final resting place of Beren and Lúthien the Fair, they traveled only a short time in the north.  For the most part, they lived south and west of here, in lands now drowned under the Sea, and most likely died there, as well.  Their bodies will not be found, and their final days are unknown to us.”

“Who made this?” Bilbo asked after a moment, tracing a finger along the intricate carving.  “This is the work of a master craftsman.”

“I doubt we will ever know,” Aragorn sighed.  “I do not think it was the work of Elves, for their memories would hold the image of Lúthien forever fresh and would not need to represent her in detail such as this.  I suspect that an artisan among Men, one of those who would have lived in this area back then, caught sight of Lúthien and captured her likeness so as not to forget it.”  He looked around the chamber.  “Either this stone was once open to the sky, and this hill yet to be, or perhaps this was an ancient cave or opening in the hill.  Somehow, over the many Ages and changings of the World, all knowledge of this carving was lost.”  He gazed at the woman’s face.  “You are not forgotten,” he murmured.

“I wish we could see this in full sunlight,” Bilbo said wistfully.  “I suppose no one ever will again.”

“Estel,” Frodo asked, “how old is this?  When do you think it was made?”

“Lúthien and Beren did not live to see the Second Age,” Aragorn replied thoughtfully.  He handed Scamp to Frodo and held his lantern as close as possible to the image.  “If this was carved when they lived, it is older than 6,000 years -- perhaps much older.  I have heard no tales that they traveled in the north after Lúthien came to wear the necklace, but it must have been so.  Only someone who had seen her in truth could have made such a detailed carving, or been moved to do so.”  He looked around the chamber.  “We cannot know how or when this stone was covered over and the hill grew around it, but the image has been protected over the Ages, marred by neither wind nor weather.  The image is as it was.”  He closed his eyes for a moment.  “Lúthien namarië,” he murmured, “le cuinar ned gur-nîn.

Frodo, who had been cradling Scamp in his arms, grinned down at the pup.  “Look what you found, you rascal,” he said fondly.

“This is purely wonderful,” Sam said happily.  “To think that this stone has been sittin’ here all the time, hidin’ its secrets.  And maybe the other one, too?”

“He’s right, Bilbo,” Frodo said suddenly.  “Can’t we dig behind the other one?”

“I think we’ll have to, now, Frodo lad,” Bilbo nodded.

“Other what?” Aragorn asked.

“Estel,” Bilbo said softly, “there is one more stone.”

 

** TBC **

Lúthien wearing that necklace and that immortal jewel was the vision of greatest beauty and glory that has ever been outside the realm of Valinor.  The Silmarillion

“Lúthien namarië.  Le cuinar ned gur-nîn.”  [Fare well, Lúthien.  You live in my heart.]

Chapter 5 will most likely not be posted as quickly as the past four chapters have been, since my longer work hours are giving me less time to write -- but I’ll write/post it as soon as I can!

*~*~*~*~*

Ailsa Joy:  I’m in love with that pup, too!  I didn’t think I’d get so attached to her, but that little waggy tail and slurpy tongue… sigh.  I wanna puppy.

angelsflame265:  I hope you’ve had a nap (and a snack or two) while you were waiting for Chapter 4.  What a loyal reader!

aprilkat:  However did that h/c get into the story?  Snuck in right behind my back, it did.

Aratlithiel1:  You do not want a puppy.  Just keep telling yourself that…  And thank you!  It wasn’t easy thinking of a way to get them all into the cellar.  Good old h/c always fixes everything.

Arwen Baggins:  Good guesses!  Since Men, Elves, and Dwarves all roamed the north at one time, I had a lot to think about in choosing the artifact.  (And just to clarify, in the first paragraph of BCOP, it says that Aragorn last saw Frodo when he (Frodo) was 35.  There were visits up until that time, and this is one of them.)

AshNight2:  I love writing “gentle and happy” fics to balance out the angsty ones.  Give Merry a pat for me.

Belothien:  Belothien!  Oh yay, the cuteness and cuddlyness is helping to put a smile on your face!  (strolls off, munching on new cookie supply…)

Bookworm2000:  Good guess!

Breon Briarwood:  What’s behind Door #1!  *grins*

ClaudiaofBree:  The only thing cuter than Frodo fainting in Aragorn’s arms would have been him fainting and Scamp racing home to tell Aragorn where to find him.  (Lassie Come Home!)

Coolio02:  Thanks, Coolio!

cpsings4him:  I’m glad Scamp is acting appropriately puppyish!  (I couldn’t read her your whole review, though -- if she knew that you called chapter 3 ‘delicious’, she’d start chewing on it.)

CyborgSmeet:  The Gaffer does sound like your dad!

Dara Maeko:  I’m writing as fast as I can, Dara!  How do these cliffhangers get into my stories, anyway?  Just can’t figure it out…

Elentari*angel:  Glad you like the “cuddly” relationships.  They may not be canon, but they make me happy.  (And no, there won’t be any heat exhaustion complications for Frodo -- this is a short story, so there’s just a short bit ’o angst!)

Elven Kitten:  You’re so courageous!

Emerald Phoenix2:  And here’s the resolution to the mystery (or most of it, anyway).  Hope you like it!

Erisinia Gazelle:  By golly, that was a cliffhanger, wasn’t it?  *looks innocent*  And the fluff thickens!

Firnsarnien:  Glad you’re enjoying Scamp and her sharp little teeth, that rascal.  And I enjoy showing the “nurturing” side of Aragorn -- if he’s going to someday take care of all Middle-earth, he should be able to take care of one adorable hobbit lad.  (I also find that the “author alerts” from fanfiction.net are a bit unreliable.  I get some, but not others.)

Gentle Hobbit:  I’d love to know what you saw in Japan!  This chapter reveals half the mystery, but there’s still one more puzzle piece to go.

girlofring:  Most of the mystery is revealed in this chapter, with just a bit more to go.  Glad you’re enjoying the story!

Giu:  Thank you for reading, Giu!  I’m glad you’re enjoying my stories.  (I’m pretty sparing with cliffhangers, usually… but sometimes a chapter just naturally ends with a bit of mystery.)

Grav:  I had to get trolls in here somewhere, you know!  And you’re so perceptive, I’ll share a secret with you… When I was writing “Master of Bag End”, I wanted to have a chapter where there was a discovery in one of the cellars.  I couldn’t quite get it figured out, so Pippin was told a “ghost story” instead.  I’m finally using the “what’s in the cellar” idea in this story.  It’s amazing how long it sometimes takes for an idea to gel… and how many steps it takes to get to it.

GTA Otaku:  Don’t we all wish we could find a “secret room”?  What fun.

Hai Took:  That Hamfast Gamgee is a feisty one, isn’t he?  I like the whole Gamgee family, too.

hobbitfeet13:  It was just a wee bit of sickness, though!  I had to get them all down in that cellar somehow, and needing ice for something -- or someone -- was the best plot device I could think of.  (And you were right, the mystery is something from The Silmarillion -- clever girl!  Tough book to read, isn’t it?  The first third of it goes pretty smoothly, but then the complex pre-history of Middle-earth becomes a bit overwhelming.)

Hobbit Lily Baggins:  I never intended that this simple story would have cliffhangers, but… that Scamp!  It’s all her fault.

Insane Pineapple from Naboo:  Glad to give you a new story with ‘your’ Ranger!

Jaimi:  At least the cliffie got resolved in the very next chapter!  Well, most of it, anyway…

Kandice:  Ah, not all cliffhangers are an evil!  (But yes, sigh… some are.  I admit it.)

katakanadian:  Ooh, you’re describing a geode -- and what a great idea that would have been!

Kemenran:  Chapter 4, at your service.

Lady of Ithilien:  You’re right -- Bilbo never had to leave home to find adventure!  Silly hobbit.  Oh gosh, I’m glad this story is “fun”; when I started it, I didn’t know what it was going to be!

Leah Beth:  I’m glad the fainting sounded realistic, because I went through the exact experience.  I once fainted from the heat, and Frodo’s symptoms -- everything sounding and looking strange, then… blackout -- were exactly what happened to me.  No, this isn’t a hurt/comfort story, but I had to get them all down in that cellar somehow, and needing ice for something -- or someone -- was the best plot device I could think of.

Leah Day:  Thanks, Leah!  And ‘grouse’ is a new word for me!

LilyBaggins:  Fainting Frodo… how’d that happen?  (And I hope the discovery is “amazingly ancient and rare” enough for you!)

lovethosehobbits:  Thanks, tree!

Meldewen Ilce:  Thank you for your enthusiasm!

Melylott S. Banks:  I will always have comfort for Frodo!  (I hated to put even light angst into this story, but I had to get them all down into that cellar somehow, and needing ice for something -- or someone -- was the best plot device I could think of.)

Mish:  Sorry about the cliffie, Mish -- but anticipation is part of the fun!

Namarie02:  Scamp is wonderful for Frodo, isn’t she?  I’m glad they have each other!

Nilmandra:  Your pets sound so cozy, I almost wish my bed was full of them, too!

Pearl Took:  And it’s fun to write a mystery, too; even a short, puppyish one!

powerwriter:  I’m definitely drawn to a sweet Frodo-Aragorn relationship -- no doubt about it.  Oh Nina, I just don’t have the time.  But thank you.

Sam:  Thank you for calling my stories ‘hobbity’!  I hope they always feel that way.

San Antonio Rose:  I’ve read stories where the Gamgee home is not happy, and the Gaffer is a bit abusive, and it’s just not my vision of them.  I believe that Sam was a good and loving father to his brood of 13 because he had good and loving parents.  I’ve had heat exhaustion too, and Frodo’s symptoms were taken from my own experience.  And… my gosh!  What an insightful comment about the swamp malaise -- I never thought of that!

Sandy K:  I actually didn’t have any angst or illness planned for this story originally, but then I realized that I had to get them all down into that cellar somehow, and needing ice for something -- or someone -- was the best plot device I could think of.  See?  My intentions were honorable -- but once a FrodoHealer, always a FrodoHealer!

ScifiRogue:  Welcome back, and best of luck on your many exams!

Scottish Hobbit:  Folks love the Gaffer and his pitchfork!  What a character.

Shireling:  At least Frodo wasn’t ‘down and out’ long this time!  Short story, short angst…

Taraisilwen:  Isn’t it fun to “meet everyone again”?  I suspect that I’ll have to re-visit this ‘universe’ every once in a while, and bring all of you with me.

Tathar:  I, too, believe that Frodo engendered loyalty and devotion all around him.  Why else would his cousins (wth everything to lose) and an Elf and a Dwarf (who barely knew him) follow him into Darkness and the unknown?

wanequelle:  How could the whole Gamgee clan not want a puppy?  Scamp is such a cutie.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List