Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Camping Crisis  by Mysterious Jedi

Camping Crisis

Rating: PG

Disclaimer: I own nothing that belongs to Tolkien. (Isn’t that a bit redundant?)

Thanks to paranoidangel for beta reading.

Chapter One-Just Leave

Elladan sighed. He had lost an archery contest to the insufferable Prince of Mirkwood. He had expected Estel to lose to Legolas, as he was young and human, but for he, Elladan, to shoot less than perfect and lose to his friend was simply humiliating.

Estel walked up to him with a smile, "Beaten by the Mirkwood elf. This is intolerable. Shall we get revenge?"

Both had lost to Legolas, although Estel had lost by a lot more. Elrohir wondered why Mirkwood targets had to be so detailed. On a Rivendell target, he would have hit the center every time, but the center was much smaller on the target they used

Elladan instantly cheered up at the proposal of vengeance. He did not want to hurt Legolas, but an innocent prank would soften the blow of losing the contest. He joined his foster brother in secret plans for revenge.

Legolas was busy trying to find excuses to leave his band of lady admirers and did not notice when his bow was taken from the bench beside him. Elladan and Estel gleefully rubbed paste on the bowstring, laughing about what Legolas’s reaction would be.

Suddenly, Elrond appeared. Elladan noticed a moment before Estel, and watched in horror as Estel continued at his work and talk of revenge in the presence of Elrond. Then Elrond startled Estel as he began a solid lecture: "My sons, what are you doing? " The brothers’ blushed and avoided looking at Elrond’s face. "A game is lost with honor if the competitors’ attitudes are honorable. The objective is a friendly setting in which to improve necessary skills. Striving to become better is ultimately more important than defeating your opponent. You will never defeat Legolas by childish pranks, and certainly not by the destruction of his possessions."

Elrond stood completely still and alternated his gaze between the two, with his eyebrows in an expression that takes most much practice to achieve. Estel thought it was quite unnerving, and wished he would pace or something to break his calm lecturing pose.

Effect achieved, Elrond continued. " In battle, blind revenge can be deadly. In times of peace, it is a disgrace. Replace the bowstring at once and go directly to family quarters. Estel, I will tell this to your mother, so do not try to hide it from her."

As the sullen brothers burst through the door, Elrohir closed his book. Upon learning the cause of their mood he was furious.

"I told you to come get me after the contest. I cannot believe you tried to pull a prank without me. You needed me to keep a lookout for Ada, Glorfindel and Erestor. Wait, Glorfindel would have helped us…but that’s not the issue here. Now you are trapped here and I am leaving" With that Elrohir left and slammed the door only to return a few minutes later with Legolas.

"Pulling pranks out of jealousy are you? Elrohir told me the whole story."

Elladan and Estel briefly glared at Elrohir and Legolas, but then the dinner bell rang and the four decided that lunch was more important than arguments. Normally they would eat in the dining hall, but the sons of Elrond always kept food in their quarters, and that is what they decided to eat until Elrond was in a more pleasant mood and allowed Elladan and Estel to roam Rivendell once more.

Later that day, Elrond released Elladan and Estel and suggested that all four go on a camping trip and get out of the house for awhile. They readily agreed and promptly began packing. After several arguments over where to go and what to pack, they were prepared. (Elrond, Glorfindel, Erestor, and a few random servants all checked their packs just to be certain.)

Then, with the quarrels of the day forgotten in their anticipation, they all went to bed early.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List