Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To Calm a Prince  by Elendiari22

 

Disclaimer: I don’t own them, only Rowan and Theodwyn, and I’ll put them back safely when I’m done.

 

 

To Calm a Prince

By Elendiari

 

    Four young men stood gathered around a mirror. Two had dark hair, one had hair of golden brown, and one had the blond hair that marked him as one of the Rohirrim. All were dressed in fine clothing, most especially the tallest of them. He wore ceremonial armor under a long deep blue tunic emblazoned with the White Tree o Gondor, and a circlet made of mithril. This tall young man, unlike the others, also wore an expression of pure terror in his eyes.

    “I can’t do this,” Prince Eldarion said. “I just can’t. I don’t deserve her. She’s too wonderful.”

     “Eldarion, you do to deserve you. This is a match made in Overheaven.” Faramir Took straightened his friend’s tunic, eyes dancing with mischief.

     Eldarion sighed. Sometimes he wished that the hobbit were not one of his best friends, as Faramir had the oft-annoying ability to be constantly optimistic. Elfwine and Rowan weren’t helping much, either. Despite their reassurances, Eldarion was shaking.

     “You know, Eldarion, you have to go through with this,” Lord Rowan said, fingering his ceremonial dagger. “If you don’t, that means you don’t really love her, and of course, I would have to avenge that. Prince Regent, or no.”

     Eldarion turned to his friend, a pleading expression on his face. “Of course I love her. I’m just afraid, I mean…what if I can’t make her happy?”

    Rowan, Faramir, and Elfwine groaned.

    “Of course you’ll make her happy, Eldarion. The two of you have been best friends since you were born,” Elfwine growled. He put his hands on Eldarion’s shoulders, forcing the prince to meet his eyes. “It is not normal for you to be nervous, El. I’ve never seen you like this before. Now, take a deep breath, relax, and squelch your worries. It’s time to go.”

      Eldarion nodded, drawing a deep breath. “You’re right. I’m ready.” He began to walk resolutely towards the door, than stopped. “You do realize that she’s the future Steward of Gondor*?”

     “Eldarion!” his friends wailed.

     “All right, all right, I’m going, I’m going.” And without a backward glance, Eldarion strode from his room.

*****

     The Throne Room was packed with people. Elves, Men, Dwarves, and even a few hobbits were waiting to see the wedding of Prince Eldarion, and his lovely bride. King Eomer stood on the left side of the hall, a contingent of Rohirrim behind him, the Lady Eowyn on his right side. Opposite them stood the King Elessar and Queen Arwen, the Citadel Guard behind them. Prince Eldarion, considered by many to be the most handsome man in the City, joined them after a few minutes. He rocked on his feet until the Queen put a steadying hand on his shoulder. The Prince Elfwine of Rohan, Lord Rowan of Ithilien, and Ernil I Pheriannath Faramir Took stood near by.

     After a few more minutes, the doors to the hall opened, and a small legion of young noblewomen, dressed in pale green, walked in, scattering flowers. After them came a pair of figures, walking arm in arm. They proceeded up the hall slowly, and finally came to a stop in front of Aragorn.

     Faramir, Steward of Gondor, kissed the Lady Theodwyn on the cheek, before relinquishing her to Eldarion. The young prince took her hands, nervousness forgotten, gazing at her in rapture. She was, beyond all doubt, the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. Her long golden hair as twisted up and held in place with a gold and mithril circlet, and her white gown was heavily beaded, giving her an oddly elvish air. She grinned at him and winked mischievously. Despite the fine clothing, she was still the same Theodwyn, the unruly lady who had no problem with putting him in his place.

      “I can do this,” Eldarion realized. “I can marry Theodwyn. Oh, yes, I can.”

      As the King began the wedding ceremony, Elfwine, Rowan, and Faramir grinned at each other. Eldarion and Theodwyn were embarking on life’s greatest adventure.

The End.

*The title of Steward passd to the eldest of the family, but since Theo is now destined to be Queen, it'll go on to Rowan. At least, it will in my universe.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List