Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tokens of Love  by Elendiari22

Disclaimer: I don’t own them, and I’ll put them back safely when I’m done with them. Nor do I own Shakespeare or Elizabeth Barrett Browning, or any of their works. I just love them to death.

 

Tokens of Love

By Elendiari

Sam and Rosie, Year 1424 of the Shire Reckoning.

 

    There was a Lover’s Day in the Shire as well. Rose Gamgee arrived in the kitchen that fine morning to find fresh flowers in a jug on the table, and a spectacular breakfast layed out.

    Rosie smiled and crossed to the table. She found a small green and gold box under the flowering roses and gardenias.

    “Is this from you, dearest?” Rosie asked Sam, as he came turned from the fireplace.

    “Aye,” said Sam, blushing. “It’s just a small thing, that I found in a store room at the Great Smials, when I was visiting Merry and Pippin there last week. The Thain said that I could take it for you. I think that you’ll like it.”

     As he spoke, Rosie opened the small box and drew out a long silver chain with a small locket attached to it. The locket contained a small miniature of the Brandywine River. Rosie looked at Sam with shining eyes.

   “Oh, Sam, I love it! Thank you so much!” she said.

    Sam blushed, pleased. “It’s just a trifle,” he said.

    “Sam, nothing you give me is a trifle,” Rosie said and kissed him.

Pippin and Diamond, 1427

     Diamond of Long Cleeve lay in her bed, staring out the window at the stars in the sky. Well, the bed wasn’t hers; she and her family were staying at the Great Smials for a few weeks late that winter. It had been Lover’s Day, and many gifts had been exchanged among hobbits, but none for Diamond. She had retired to bed early, tired of seeing so many happy, smiling faces when she herself had no one to shower in gifts and kisses. Now she lay watching the stars, wondering if anyone would ever love her. It didn’t seem too likely. Diamond loved Pippin Took, but he was such a grand hobbit, and so fine, that she doubted that he had ever noticed her. Besides, he wasn’t even at the Great Smials for the holiday, but visiting the Brandybucks across the River.

   At that moment, a tap on her window made her sit up and look out. She started in amazement, then threw the window open. Outside, standing in the snow wrapped warmly in cloak and coat, was Pippin.

   “Hullo, Diamond,” he said, grinning shyly. “How are you?”

   “I’m fine, Pippin,” Diamond replied, yanking her blanket over her shoulders to hide her nightgown. “What are you doing here?”

    Pippin fumbled with something that he held in his hands. “I was wondering…well, that is…um…May I read you something?”

    Diamond nodded, curious, and Pippin took a deep breath. Alternately looking at the paper he held in his hands, and her face, he began.

   “How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach, when feeling out of sight.” Here Pippin stopped and looked back at Diamond. “I love you, Diamond, really I do. You probably think that I’m out of my head, but it’s true. I had to come back from Buckland to tell you, before you left.”

     Diamond stared at Pippin, whose sincerity was plain on his face. Then she learned a new use for windows, as she leaned out of hers to kiss Peregrin Took, knight of Gondor, in the moonlight.

*****

   Merry and Estella, 1440

         Lover’s Day in Buckland was nearly large a holiday as Yule. From dawn to dusk, gifts and flowers were given, and every meal was almost a feast. Merry spent most of the day running about, making certain that no one gorged themselves to the point of illness, and that none of the unmarried couples disappeared. It was a wearying task, and by the time that he collapsed in front of his own fire that night, he was too tired to do much more than accept the tea that Estella handed him and smile gratefully at her.

    The children were already in bed, sleeping, and Estella brought her sewing out to join him by the fire.

     “Long day?” she asked softly.

     “Very,” said Merry with a sigh. “Was I such a monster when I was young, Stella?”

     Estella laughed. “Yes, you were. Only worse, because you always teased me ruthlessly.”

      Merry grinned at the memory. “I remember. I also remember being completely stunned when you said that you would marry me.”

      “So was I,” Estella said. “But you were changed when we courted. You were more mature. At least, that’s what I thought then.”

     Merry laughed. He knew that he still acted like a silly tween sometimes, but the times he did were forgivable.

    “I do love nothing in the world so well as you,” Merry said to her.

     “And I love you, my Merry,” Estella replied.

     They did not speak after that, but sat together in happy silence. Sometimes, that’s all that’s needed to express feelings.

*****

      Frodo, 1382

     Frodo Baggins left Bag End midmorning on Lover’s Day, hands jammed into his pockets, head lowered. It had been two years since his parents had died, and though the ache had lessened, it would never really die.

     His feet led him to Bagshot Row. He passed the Gaffer in the garden, working at pulling the grape vines down, and some of the Gamgee children, playing a game of ball in a field. Frodo could have joined them, but first he had an errand to run. A secret errand.

   Bell Gamgee opened her door moments after the soft knock had sounded. She was surprised to see young Master Frodo standing there, looking shy and uncertain.

    “Hello, Mr. Frodo, what can I do for you?” she asked.

    Frodo hesitated, than held out his hand to her. Cupped in his palm was a small wooden box inlaid with mother of pearl. Bell took it curiously, and looked at Frodo.

     “It’s for you,” he explained in a quick, soft voice. “It’s a jewelry box. It was my mammas, but I want you to have it, since you’ve been so nice to me since I came to visit Uncle Bilbo. Happy Lover’s Day.”

     Bell looked at the young lad in amazement. She had only seen him a few times, mostly when she brought the Gaffer his tea, and stayed on to cook tea for Mr. Bilbo. Frodo had often joined her in the kitchen, reading, or listening to her singing songs to herself. Now, she realized, he must have been aching for his own mother, and had taken comfort in her presence.

    “Thank you, Frodo,” Bell said, bending down to hug the sad little lad. “Thank you very much; it’s beautiful.”

    Frodo hugged her back, happier than he had been for a long while. He had always given his mother something on Lover’s Day, and had wanted to do something for Mrs. Gamgee, to thank her for being such a nice lady. He went home with a smile on his face, his heart lifted. All was right in his small world.

The End.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List