Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Elrond's Boys  by Dragon

Elrond strolled into Glorfindel's study, placing some papers down on the desk. He was about to leave when something caught his eye.

Sitting on top of the desk, as it had for many hundreds of years, was a small eagle carved out of a rich warm coloured wood. It had been rather inexpertly carved, but had been sanded down so thoroughly afterwards that it was perfectly smooth, even if some regions of the outstretched wings were rather thinner than others.

The eagle belonged to Glorfindel, as did the memories associated with it. Both were precious to him.

~*~

The hot midday sun was beating down on the dry earth in the clearing. There was barely any shadow left by the tall elf and the little crowd of elflings that were milling around him.

Quickly he counted the nine heads bobbing around dizzyingly quickly. It would not do to lose any of his small charges in the change of activity.

"Stand still boys!" he called at last.

They boys, all aged between nine and twelve and dressed alike in dark green training tunics and shorts, fell into a shuffling line. It was halfway through the training session and they had just finished their speed and agility exercises. The ropes that had been strung between two trees had been coiled away, and the wooden blocks used to mark the running track had been stacked into a corner. Usually the boys enjoyed these activities but today they had been impatient, itching for that session to end and the new one to begin. For today would be their first attempt at archery.

He called them out one by one, selecting a suitable bow based on their height from the box of small training bows he had before him. They would eventually need bows of their own, but for the moment the well used bows found in the training room would prove adequate.

"Elladan"

Eventually his name was called and Elladan skipped forwards happily to receive his bow. They would look after it and use it for training until they were given bows of their own. One of the larger boys had already been boasting about the handsome bow that his father had promised him.

"Thank you, hîr"

Elladan smiled broadly, admiring the bow in his hands. It was made of a light springy wood and came with ten small arrows. He bounced up and down on his toes impatiently as the other boys received their weapons, looking longingly at the targets on the side of the field.

Eventually everyone had their bows and arrows and looked to their instructor for direction.

"Line up in front of the targets in your pairs"

Elladan turned to his previous partner, a boy of some eleven years and smiled. The boy stared through him and turned his back, joining up with another elf. He was still smouldering about being beaten by a younger boy in the informal tournament they had had a few days previously.

Puzzled, Elladan turned to the other boys only to find that they were already all paired up. He flushed slightly and stood before the last target, examining his bow, pretending he didn't care. He had never been left alone without a partner before. That was for people no one liked.

"Ah Elladan, will you be my partner?" the instructor asked gently, not liking the titter of laughter that came from another elf. Elladan nodded, looking at the ground.

After a brief demonstration the young elves took up their weapons and attempted to stand in the correct position.

"No Elladan, like this." Elladan felt his grip on the bow being adjusted as the instructor moved along the line correcting his pupils. Finally when the bows were held to his satisfaction they were instructed to shoot.

Elladan released the arrow, expecting it to fly to the target and land in the centre. After all if Elrohir was good at it then so would he.

The arrow hit the ground some ten metres from the target. Elladan scowled and fitted his next arrow concentrating harder. This one reached the target, and dangled limply from the far edge.

"Spend more time on your aim Elladan," the instructor yelled from the other end of the field, where he was helping a small blond elf fit an arrow to his bow.

Elladan flushed deeply. It was unusual that he would be picked out for individual criticism. However he did as he was asked and the next two arrows managed to hit the edge of the circle.

At the end of the lesson, despite not having to take turns like the others, he was still unable to hit the centre of the target. He had had arrows on the ground, arrows in the trees behind the target, arrows peppering the backing board and a few on the outermost circle. The closest he had got was one arrow in the second outermost circle.

The moment the lesson ended Elladan grabbed his bow and ran as fast as he could across the clearing and up to his secret hiding place inside a hollow old oak tree in the lower gardens.

Gathering up the equipment, the tall elf watched the boy's hasty retreat and sighed. Elladan didn't take losing kindly, and that was something he would have to learn if he was ever to achieve his potential.

~*~

Celebrian sat on a small stool in front of the mirror braiding her hair in preparation for the evening. She had spent her day entertaining the guests and writing a letter to King Thranduil of Mirkwood. On return to her room she had found a large smudge of ink on the end of her nose, and had decided it was time to tidy and dress herself before dinner.

As usual the obstinate curls that framed her face would not be tamed into braids. She picked two small violets from the bouquet on the dressing table and wove them into the curls before she tucked them behind her ears. She stood up and twirled round in front of the mirror, delighted at the result.

A noise behind her prompted a hasty grab for the robe left on the bed. The young messenger elves were far too well mannered to enter whilst she was in her underclothes, instead preferring to cough gently, their eyes fixed to the floors or walls.

"Cel," warm arms slipped around her body, drawing her close to him.

Celebrian turned to her husband, standing on tiptoes to kiss him. Elrond reached up, stroking her silky hair. He still marvelled inwardly that anyone so beautiful would choose to pledge her life to him.

"Ada?" an inquisitive voice called from the corridor.

Elrond groaned, releasing his wife as he turned to the source of the disturbance.

Elrohir skipped in holding his training bow and jumped onto the bed.

"Hello Ammë," Elrohir beamed at the sight of her, "Are you and Ada busy?"

Celebrian reached behind her to squeeze Elrond's hand.

"Not so very busy, were you looking for him?"

Elrohir nodded and turned to look at his father.

"Ada, I was wondering if you would practise archery with me?"

He did have spare time, time that he had meant to spend with Celebrian, but yet Elrohir looked so eager. Elrohir did not join his brother in the morning sessions of fencing practice, and occasionally would rather read than participate when Elrond or Glorfindel found time in the evening to help. Elrond did not wish to spend more time with one child over another, and he hadn't seen Elrohir so excited about his training for a long time. Elrond gave Celebrian an apologetic look as he went to fetch his bow.

"Well why not Elrohir. I haven't taken up my bow in a long time."

Elrohir gave his mother a hug before skipping out of the room, dragging his father with him.

~*~

Celebrian was not too disappointed by this turn of events. She would be with her husband that evening for the meal and afterwards the singing in the Hall of Fire. And after all, with two small sons they had decided that any kind of peace was a distant dream long ago.

"No!"

A clear obstinate voice above the murmur of those previously in the garden drew her to the window. Her husband who was trying to resist being dragged out of the garden by Elrohir was standing over Elladan. Elladan was sitting on a large stone by the flowerbeds stabbing at the dirt with a stick.

Elrond moved closer, placing an arm around his eldest's shoulders. His son looked so upset and grumpy that he felt he had to offer some comfort.

"Please Elladan, will you not come?"

"No!" Elladan said more loudly.

"Why? Can you not shoot?" Elrohir asked innocently and unhelpfully.

"No! I do not wish to, that is why! No!" Elladan bellowed, throwing the stick at his unlucky brother and charging up the stairs to his room.

Elrond looked after his son, surprised at the outburst. He had only asked him if he would like to join them.

"Ada?" Elrohir asked sadly, wondering if they would still get to go and practice.

Elrond took Elrohir's hand in his and began walking to the training grounds. Elrohir's face lit up.

~*~

Elladan stomped upstairs slamming the door behind him with an impressive bang. In fact the bang was such a relief to his feelings that he repeated it three times for good measure. That matter having been dealt with he flung himself down on his bed, burying his face in the pillows.

He had wanted to go with his Ada, but he would never never let anyone see how bad he was at archery. Not ever! He must be terrible for he had had no comments on his skill, only reminders to aim and to hold the bow straight.

Sticking his head under the pillow he kicked the mattress as hard as he could, getting revenge for his feelings.

Celebrian, getting into her dress, wondered if she should go to him. It had been a long time since Elladan had had a tantrum such as this, but afterwards he was usually best left alone. At least until he had calmed down.

~*~

"Come Elrohir, it is time to go back!"

Elrohir skipped towards him, holding the arrows he had just plucked from the target. He put nine of them back in their quiver, but kept one out. Elrond raised his eyebrows.

"This is my special arrow Ada," Elrohir stroked it proudly, "When I hit the middle it was this arrow, and when I came closest in my training group it was this arrow!"

Elrond laughed, ruffling his son's hair. He took the weapons from Elrohir, being careful to keep the special arrow separate.

"Elrohir, could you do me a favour?"

"Yes Ada?" Elrohir looked up importantly. Favours usually involved breaking the news that his Ada was taking time off to be with his Ammë to an irritable Erestor.

"Could you run and find Glorfindel and tell him to come and meet me this evening?"

"Yes Ada!" Elrohir sprinted off obediently. Glorfindel was not unknown to give sweets to small elves that ran errands.

"He's a good little archer," one of the other fathers said, nodding in his direction, "He's got a good eye".

"I know." Elrond said, hoping he didn't sound too proud or smug.

~*~

Elrohir rapped gently on the carved wooden door to Glorfindel's study. He had barely stepped back when the door opened and Glorfindel and Erestor swept out. Glorfindel looked down at the child.

"I will be back in a minute Elrohir, go in and wait."

Elrohir tiptoed in, a little overawed by the peacefulness of the room. It was smaller than his father's study, and contained a large desk and several bookcases. It also contained a large leather padded chair.

Elrohir licked his lips, looking around to see if anyone was watching. There was not. He tiptoed to the chair and scrambled onto it, almost immediately lost in its depths. This was a chair for a leader. Elrohir sat back, looking out of the window above the desk, feeling powerful.

"Elrohir," Glorfindel was back in the room, seeing the small feet dangling from his chair before Elrohir could scramble out, "Did your father send you?"

Elrohir dropped to the ground blushing. Glorfindel smiled.

"The chair is comfortable is it not? When I sit in it I feel like a king."

Elrohir gaped at Glorfindel, wondering how he had read his thoughts. Glorfindel laughed, turning his back on the child as he reached for a book.

"Oh! Ada said that I was to say that you were to come and meet him this evening," Elrohir suddenly remembered his message. In the pause whilst Glorfindel made sense of this something else caught his eye, "What is that?"

Elrohir was pointing to a green glass paperweight on Glorfindel's desk. It was in the shape of a swooping eagle, and catching the sunlight it appeared to have some internal glow.

"It is a paperweight. A friend gave it to me long ago." Glorfindel looked up from his books and carefully handed the paperweight to Elrohir.

"Before I was born?" Elrohir asked, turning the heavy object over in his hands, admiring every angle.

Glorfindel suddenly smiled broadly as if laughing at some joke that Elrohir didn't understand.

"Oh yes, before you were born," he agreed as he moved to fetch another book, "Elrohir can you come and hold this for me?"

As Elrohir hurried across the room to Glorfindel's aid he stumbled slightly. The eagle flew out of his cupped hands and hit the floor, smashing into millions of tiny pieces. Glorfindel looked at the devastation and the shocked child standing among the broken fragments and closed his eyes in dismay.

"Oh Elrohir," Glorfindel said at last, his voice rather wooden, trying to hide his pain.

Elrohir looked up at his tutor still rather shocked at what had happened. He swallowed twice in an attempt to control himself before bursting into a storm of tears.

"Oh Glorfindel I did not mean to!" Elrohir wailed, tears rolling off his face and falling to the ground. He sounded - and was - completely heartbroken.

Glorfindel stepped carefully through the broken glass and picked up Elrohir. He carried him to the chair and sat down, holding the child to his chest. Devastated though he was, Elrohir's pain was intense and he needed reassurance now.

"It was an accident Elrohir; do not worry," Glorfindel rocked the child gently, trying to calm him.

"But it is broken," Elrohir dissolved into a fresh stream of tears.

"It was only an ornament, it does not matter." Glorfindel felt justified in the little white lie. Elrohir however did not fall for it. He slipped out of Glorfindel's grasp and ran to the door.

"I am sorry. I am sorry Glorfindel," Elrohir repeated needlessly.

Glorfindel set to clearing up the broken glass. He wished that he, like Elrohir, were still young enough to dissolve into tears over the loss. However, precious though the trinket had been, he would have gladly given it to spare Elrohir the guilt and pain.

~*~

It was late evening in Imladris by now. Flickering torches lit the terraces and courtyards and little groups of elves gathered on the balconies to talk before proceeding to dinner. Celebrian sat on her bed, watching the moths fluttering around the bright window, as her husband dressed for dinner.

Eventually the splashing in the bathroom stopped and her husband emerged, now dressed in a long blue and silver gown. Fetching a brush off the table, he sat down on the bed beside his wife to tidy his hair.

"Let me, Peredhil" Celebrian brushed her fingers over his, taking the brush and smoothing the damp hair away from his eyes. She worked in silence for a while, but then a playful smile lit up her face.

"Do you know what I am thinking?" her voice was teasing, laughing at her joke.

"I do not," Elrond replied. He had a fair idea, but when Celebrian's voice took that tone you could never really be sure.

"Guess," she challenged, her fingers working deftly on his braids.

"I will not," he tried to turn to see her expression but she did not allow him to.

"You have extraordinarily tangled hair!" Finished, she climbed off the bed, smoothing her skirt. Sometimes, Elrond thought as he watched her look in the mirror, she looked as vulnerable as a child.

"You look beautiful," Elrond stood and took her arm, leading her to the door.

Celebrian's face lit up with pleasure. She slipped a hand into his, weaving her fingers in-between his larger ones.

"Did you know that I love you?"

The laughing tone had returned. She needed no answer. She already knew.

~*~

Elrohir was sitting in a pile of hay in the stables, a chunk of maple selected from the woodpile in his lap, and a borrowed craft knife in his hand. Hidden in an unused stall he had been undisturbed by the guards and stable workers tending to the horses. It had been hard at first, and he had cut one of his fingers when the knife had slipped as he had fashioned an eye. The blood was dry now, and in that time the wood had developed shape and form.

He turned the wood over in his hands, checking that he had perfected the details of feathers in the wings. He had. Holding the carving gently in one hand he smoothed it down with sandpaper. When this was finished he wrapped it carefully in a scrap of cloth and stood up blinking as if he had awoken from a dream.

The stables were quiet now and the air outside was cool and quiet apart from the chirruping of insects in the shrubbery. He had never been out this late. There were elves moving along the balcony, hurrying to dinner.

Clutching his precious bundle to him he ran as fast as he could through the shadows to the main courtyard and up into the east wing where many of the important elves and guests had their chambers.

"Which chamber is Glorfindel's?" Elrohir asked a guard, hoping that he would be fooled into thinking that he was on a message from his father and wouldn't ask awkward questions. The ploy worked and Elrohir was led through the passageways to a door. The guard rapped sharply and strode off.

Elrohir suddenly wished that he were far from here or at least that Glorfindel was not in.

"Come"

Elrohir tentatively opened the door and tiptoed in. The room was empty, but judging by the movement of the shadows Glorfindel was in the bathroom. The child tiptoed over to the bed, placing the package on the coverlet before tiptoeing out as fast as he could and streaking back to the room he shared with Elladan just before his parents came in to bid them good night.

"That was lucky," Elladan whispered through the dark as a fully dressed Elrohir hopped out from under the covers and began pulling off his tunic, "Where were you?"

"Nowhere!" Elrohir cringed as the water he splashed on his face had long turned cold.

"Everyone's somewhere," Elladan hissed back, then as cold water was flicked towards him, "Orc Breath!"

Meanwhile Glorfindel had emerged, surprised to find no messenger waiting for him. Unwrapping the parcel was the second time that day he had felt like crying.

~*~

It was well past midnight when Elladan woke up. He could hear his parents bidding each other goodnight across the corridor and the peaceful sound of Elrohir's deep breathing. He lay in the dark, waiting until he was sure that his parents were asleep, before he slipped out of bed and ran down the corridor onto the terrace. For while lying in the dark he had come up with the perfect solution to all his problems.

He crept around to where the lower balcony bordered the windows of the bedrooms in the east wing. He tiptoed along pressing his face against each in turn until he found what he was looking for. Elladan gently prised open the window and slipped inside.

Glorfindel had not been having pleasant dreams. It was even more unpleasant to wake to find something small kneeling on your bed, staring into your face.

"Arggghhhh!" Glorfindel shot across the bed in a flurry of bedclothes, reaching franticly for his sword.

"It is only me Glorfindel," a little voice came out of the dark. It was Elladan's voice and he sounded bemused.

Glorfindel released his sword and lit the candle by his bed. It was indeed Elladan, dressed only in his nightshirt and shivering with cold.

"What is it Elladan, is your father hurt?" Glorfindel reached for his gown anxiously.

Elladan shook his head.

"Oh no! I just wondered if you would teach me archery."

Glorfindel looked at the child in amazement as he climbed back into bed. It was beyond him that anyone would wake another in such a manner. It was even more shocking that anybody could expect a favour after such behaviour.

"Oh please Glorfindel! I'll be ever so good," Elladan said earnestly with a violent shiver.

"Will your father not teach you?" Glorfindel wrapped a spare blanket round the boy and took the small hands in his own, "Why Elladan, you're freezing!"

Elladan nodded with chattering teeth and snuggled up close to Glorfindel for warmth. Not only a favour but a cuddle too, Glorfindel thought wryly.

"Well he will. . .," Elladan paused, "Its just I'd rather you taught me!"

Glorfindel looked steadily into the grey eyes. He did not like to be lied to. Elladan buried his face in the blankets.

"Elrohir's better than me! I can't do anything right. I can't even shoot in a straight line!" Elladan spoke as quietly and quickly as possible.

"So," Glorfindel waited until Elladan looked at him, "You want me to teach you because you can't bear to be second best?"

Elladan squirmed awkwardly. Glorfindel sighed, he really needed to talk to Elrond first but he sensed that he would not sleep again that night before giving an answer.

"Very well Elladan, I will teach you," the bed rocked violently as Elladan bounced happily, "But I have conditions."

"I'll do anything!" Elladan gave Glorfindel a huge hug.

"Indeed?" Glorfindel relented, returning the embrace, "I need someone to clean my bow and arrow and polish my sword after I train."

"I will do it!" Elladan declared loudly. Glorfindel clapped a hand over his mouth and placed a finger to the child's lips.

"Sorry" Elladan responded in a whisper.

"Good," Glorfindel sighed, "And Elladan, if I am to train you I will train you until you are skilled enough to no longer require my services. Do you understand?"

Elladan frowned. He had fully intended prancing back to show off to his father the moment he had got better than Elrohir. Glorfindel had guessed this. He also knew that as one of the chief instructors for the Imladris Guard many hundred years would pass before Elladan would have such an opportunity.

"Yes please!" Elladan hoped Glorfindel couldn't read his thoughts. They sounded so horrible when he considered them properly.

"Very well, I will see you on Thursday evening." Glorfindel lifted the boy onto the floor and pulled the covers over his head to dissuade further comment.

Elladan padded over to the window and opened it. Groaning Glorfindel got out of bed and picked the child up, wrapping them both in his warm gown. As he walked through the deserted and silent halls the small burden he carried slumped against his chest, breathing in a regular deep pattern. Glorfindel smiled in spite of himself as he watched the long dark lashes flutter as the boy wriggled into a more comfortable position and returned to sleep. By the time their deal had ended Elladan would be as tall as his father and would have seen evils that he could not even imagine. For now though the boys could be protected from the cruelty of the outside world, and short though the time would be, with that they must be content.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List