Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Flames  by Lindelea

Chapter 2. Heir

They rode most of the way back to the Smials in silence. Ferdi occasionally looked over at the other. For one who was now the second most powerful Took in the Shire, Reginard did not look happy. Certainly, he rode with his shoulders as straight as ever, head high, eyes moving to take in every detail around him... but his face was settled into the grimmest lines Ferdi had seen. Regi had always been a little distant, anyhow, someone to look up to, being more than a dozen years older. He did not have the hair-trigger temper of his younger brother Everard, being somewhat tempered by time and the responsibility of being the oldest brother.

As they rode into Tuckborough, Regi glanced over, as if aware of Ferdi's scrutiny, and the younger hobbit dropped his eyes. When he looked up again, he saw the other smile slightly, give a tiny nod--of encouragement?--before turning his eyes back to the fields on the other side of the road. Ferdi straightened his shoulders a bit, in unconscious imitation.

Ferdi saw Reginard stiffen as they rode into the courtyard before the Great Smials. Following his gaze, he saw two figures twice the size of hobbits loitering outside the Smials. 'What're they doing here?' he heard the other mutter. They rode to the stable entrance and jumped down from their ponies' backs. 'Put him away for me?' Regi said, tossing the reins to Ferdibrand.

'Aye, and don't burn down the stables while you're about it,' drawled another Took who was coming out.

Regi swung to face him. 'That joke might have been funny the first hundred times I heard it, Hilly, though I rather doubt it...' He fixed the erring hobbit with a fierce glare. '...so I'd suggest you find yourself another joke, or close your mouth and shoot the bolt.'

Hildibold straightened up and said, ' 'Twere only a joke, Regi, no need to--'

He was interrupted by his brother Tolibold, who came from the shadows to hiss, 'Regi, Pimple's here to see the Thain with two of his overgrown oafs; you should have seen his expression as he walked in, as if he owned the place. He looks like the cat that got the cream. I don't like this.'

'Has anybody got weapons?' Regi asked.

Tolly shook his head. 'Can't get in nor out of the Smials; those oafs of his have their eye on all the doors.'

'Right,' Regi said. 'Good thing Ferdi and I were out hunting. String your bow, Ferdi.'

Ferdi took bow and quiver from his saddle and was quickly ready. He and Regi marched across the courtyard to the Smials, Tolly and Hilly behind them, just as the door to the main entrance opened and Lotho Baggins measured his length in the dust, having been tossed through the door by two muscular Tooks. Thain Paladin appeared in the doorway.

'And don't you be coming round here any more with any of your nonsense,' the Thain said, his anger almost palpable in the crisp morning air. 'The Shire already has a Thain.'

One of the Men had helped Lotho up, and Lotho brushed himself off, straightened his clothes, then threw back his shoulders and stood tall. The effect was rather marred by the way the Man standing beside him dwarfed him, but he didn't seem to notice.

'You don't have an heir,' Lotho said. 'And you need one. With my money and your power...'

'I have an heir,' Paladin snapped.

'Give over,' Lotho said, trying to look sympathetic. 'Your son is dead. He's never coming back again. What'll the Shire do if something happens to you?'

'I have an heir,' Paladin repeated. He gestured towards the group of hobbits who'd come from the stables and were standing warily nearby, watching the scene. 'Reginard is the next in line for the Thainship.'

Reginard bowed ironically, but Ferdibrand stiffened at the expression that crossed Lotho's face before he wiped it clear of expression, leaving it once more smooth and bland. 'Congratulations, Reginard,' Lotho said silkily. 'I had not heard of your elevation to heir.'

Regi jerked his chin in a nod. Seeing the two Tooks with their bows ready and arrows at hand, Lotho decided that, discretion being the best part of valour, he and his assistants would depart.

Turning back to Paladin, he said, 'Think about my offer. With my money...'

'Tookland doesn't need your money,' Paladin answered shortly. 'And keep your great oafs out of Tookland if you know what's good for them. Their sort aren't welcome here.'

'Very well,' Lotho sneered. 'Keep well, Paladin. Be a shame if anything should happen to you, as it did to your son.' He mounted the pony that the silent stable lad had brought out, jerked the beast's head around, and rode out of the courtyard, his Men slouching along behind him.

Thain Paladin looked to Reginard and Ferdibrand, standing ready with their bows. 'Nice work,' he said. 'From now on, we will keep armed guards at the ready both inside and outside the Smials. We had better arm the guards at the stables and storeholes as well, just in case someone gets some funny ideas.'

'Yes, Sir,' Regi said. 'I'll see to it right away.'

The Thain's cold eyes turned to Ferdibrand. 'Good thing the two of you were out hunting,' he said. 'Though it seems as if you've had rather poor luck.'

'Too many Men wandering about, Sir,' Ferdi answered. 'They make such a noise they scare all the game for miles.'

'Men wandering about Tookland?' Paladin said sharply, then gave a jerk of his chin. 'We'll soon put a stop to that.' He turned back into the Smials.

'Regi,' Ferdi said in an urgent undertone, 'Did you see how Pimple looked at him... and at you? He's gone mad.'

'What're you talking about?' Regi said irritably. 'You sound like an old auntie, worrying away.'

'All that has to happen is some mishap while the Thain is riding along with you, and he...'

'None of your nonsense, now, lad,' Regi said. 'Go make sure the ponies were properly put away.'

'But, Regi!' Ferdi protested.

'Check on the ponies,' Reginard snapped. He hated to repeat himself. 'And then go and get yourself some second breakfast. There's work to be done.'

Ferdi met Tolly's sober eyes, and Tolly nodded. He'd seen it as well. Lotho Baggins had something in mind for the Thain and his heir, and it boded no good. Ferdi began to wonder if Pippin's disappearance had been by accident, or by Lotho's design.

He shook his head. No use indulging in wild fancies. There was the present to deal with, and reality. The one thing he knew for sure, he was going to stick to Reginard like cockleburrs to a pony's tail.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List