Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Flames  by Lindelea

Chapter 9. Restoration

Old Tom Clayburrow stood over the body of his son, looking down in silence. Regi came, stooped to check for life, started to lift the outcast.

'Where are you taking him?' Tom bestirred himself to ask.

'To the waggons,' Regi answered.

'Back... to Tookland? But, I thought...' Tom said, confused.

'He saved Pippin's life,' Regi said quietly. 'That counts for something.' He looked up at Old Tom. 'He's dying,' he said bluntly. 'I'm no healer, but I can read the signs. He might as well die at home, after what he's done.'

Old Tom nodded and bent to help lift his son. The outcast stirred and moaned slightly. 'It's all right, lad,' Old Tom said reassuringly. 'We're taking you home.'

'Da?' the outcast whispered, half opening his eyes, then he closed them again with a sigh. They carried him to the waggons and laid him down beside Ferdi; Regi climbed up to sit between them in case either should stir. Old Tom marched alongside, holding his son's hand.

When they were halfway to Tuckborough, darkness fell, and the waggons proceeded slowly by torch- and lantern-light. A score of Tooks had been injured in the battle, struck down by clubs, fists, kicks, hacked by knives, pierced by arrows. Some moaned softly as the waggons bore them along, others lay ominously still. Nineteen hobbits had died in the battle, some Tooks among them, and these had been buried together in a grave upon the hillside in Bywater.

***

Tuckborough was lit up as if it were already Yuletide, and shouting, singing hobbits were in the streets. They quieted as the waggons entered the town, seeing the cargo, and fell in line behind the procession, silently following all the way to the Great Smials.

The Thain came out to meet them, his broad grin fading as he saw the occupants in the torchlight. 'Pippin?' he said to Regi as the latter hopped down from the first waggon.

'He had some business to discuss with Lotho Baggins, I was told,' Regi said.

The Thain's eyes went to the outcast. 'What's he doing here?' he asked sharply. Regi explained, and Paladin nodded. 'Of course,' he said. 'I would have done the same.' He turned to Old Tom. 'I reverse my judgment.'

'Thank you, Sir,' Old Tom said with a nod.

The Thain's eyes went over the other occupants of the waggon, stopping on Ferdi. 'Who...?' he started to say, then stopped. The bloody bandages, the purpling bruises, the swelling had made it difficult, but he recognised Ferdi at last.

'He was in the thick of it,' Regi said with a sigh. 'Saved me from gaining a few extra holes in my head.'

'Of course,' Paladin said, then raised his voice. 'Let's get them all inside,' he ordered. He looked down the line of waggons, spotting several healers already at work. 'Woodruff!'

***

Thain Paladin sat by the bed where the outcast lay. One of Healer Woodruff's assistants, Mardibold Took, finished his examination and shook his head sadly.

'Thank you, Mardi,' Paladin said. 'You may leave us.'

Old Tom, his wife Tansy, and the rest of their children hovered at the foot of the bed. The Thain looked up, nodded to them, and Tom and Tansy stepped to the other side of the bed, Tansy taking her middle son's hand and Tom encompassing both their hands in his.

'Nibs, can you hear me?' Paladin said.

The eyes opened, to look at him in surprise. The Thain smiled. 'Yes, lad,' he said, 'You have your name back.' Tansy suppressed a sob, and Paladin continued. 'With no thought for yourself, you saved my son from a ruffian's arrow.'

'Aye,' the outcast whispered. 'Couldn't let him... couldn't let him shoot... Pippin.'

'Can you tell me why you dug those holes?' Paladin asked.

'Gold,' Nibs breathed. 'They offered... gold, said it was just... mischief.'

Paladin sighed. 'Gold,' he said. 'I'm sorry, lad. Gold shines with a pretty gleam, but I've found it fairly useless when it comes to the things that matter.' Nibs nodded, and Paladin felt the fingers flutter weakly in his handclasp.

'I know,' he whispered. 'It wasn't worth... being cast out.'

Paladin nodded. 'It couldn't buy me my son back, when I thought him lost,' he said. '...but you kept me from losing him again, and I'm that grateful to you.'

Nibs smiled.

The Thain continued. 'I have rescinded my order. Your offences have been pardoned. You are no longer outcast, you have been restored to your place amongst the people of the Shire. I have written your name again in the Book this night, with my own hand. May it stand there forever.'

Nibs sighed, still smiling, and his mother bowed her head and began to sob softly. Old Tom reached out, gently closing his son's eyes. 'Good night, my lad,' he said softly. 'May all your dreams be of peace.'

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List