Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Flames  by Lindelea

 

Ferdibrand continued to take young Faramir and the older Bolger lads out several times a week, either fishing or stalking, learning the ways of the wild creatures. He taught them the same hunter's ways that his father had taught him from an early age, and the practice brought back fond memories of the time before the terrible fire that had robbed his family of so very much.

In mid-October, the Bolgers of Bridgefields came to the Great Smials to fetch Pimpernel and her children, bearing them back to Bridgefields for a month-long stay. The Thain and his escort rode with them as far as the Green Dragon in Bywater, where they ate second breakfast and said their farewells.

'Be well, Nelly-my-girl,' Pippin said with a smile, embracing his sister as the coach drove up before the inn.

'And you, Little Pip,' she returned.

'Let me know if you want your things sent to Bridgefields,' the Thain added.

Pimpernel laughed. 'The manse has been shut up for months,' she said. ' 'Twill need a grand clearing out before we are able to move back in. We will be staying with Odo, this trip, and he will have his workhobbits going over the dwelling to see what needs to be done. I do believe we will spend one more Yule at the Smials, whilst the work is being finished, before removing to Bridgefields, little brother, if you can stand to have us underfoot another month or two...'

'You make me feel five years old when you call me "little brother",' Pippin remarked.

Pimpernel smiled. 'I know,' she said, a twinkle in her eye. 'That's why I do it.'

Ferdi crouched to speak to the children. 'You be good for your Mum,' he said.

'We will,' they chorused cheerily, but little Mignonette said wistfully, 'I wish you were coming with us.'

'Ah,' Ferdi said, 'but you've all your relations in Bridgefields to keep you occupied. You'd have no time for a scruffy old hunter like me.'

'You're not scruffy!' Mignonette protested, and her little sister Coreopsis chimed in indignantly.

'You clean up fairly nicely,' Rudivar said mischievously, 'but I prefer the scruffy hunter, myself. Much more fun.'

Ferdi laughed and tousled the lad's head. 'You do me great honour,' he said, then sobered. 'You take good care of your mother, now.'

'I will,' Rudivar said solemnly, and turned to enter the coach. Ferdi allowed him to climb up by himself, though he handed in the rest of the children, then turned to Pimpernel.

'My lady,' he said. 'Your carriage awaits.'

'Thank you, Ferdibrand,' she smiled, and then said to Pippin, 'Take care of my mother.'

'Always,' Pippin said. 'I'll give her at least as much attention as I do Socks, more even.'

'I doubt that,' Pimpernel said. 'After all, I don't think she would stand for you to cut up apples for her and feed them to her with a bedtime story.'

'All right, forget the apples,' Pippin said. 'But I will do everything else I can to keep her comfortable until your return. Perhaps you'd like her to remove to Bridgefields with you, that you may look after her?'

Pimpernel frowned as she gave this idea serious consideration. 'You know,' she said, 'that might not be a bad thought... if she would go, we would love to have her.'

'I can see there are some serious disagreements in the offing,' Pippin said. 'We might not be willing to let her go.'

'Perhaps she can split her time between the Smials and Bridgefields,' Ferdi said smoothly, 'but I fear the ponies are getting restless and you are keeping the Bolgers waiting.' He nodded to the mounted Bolgers, who returned his nod with smiles of their own.

'Yes, we can discuss this further at Yule,' Pippin said, handing his sister into the coach. 'Of course, Mother will do exactly as she pleases.'

'Of course she will,' Pimpernel agreed, settling in her seat. Ferdi closed and latched the door securely, and the party from the Great Smials stepped back, waving the coach on its way.

 

***

On Remembering Day, Ferdi lit a candle for his father, with no fear of the torch this time. It was progress, and his father, had he been there to see it, would have been satisfied. Of course, had his father been there to see it, he wouldn't have been lighting a candle in the first place. He set the little boat on the waters of the stream and thought of Rosemary, lighting her own candle in Woody End. The two little boats would join all the others floating downstream to the Brandywine River, and on down to the Sea, a flotilla of love and remembering.

***

The Bolgers returned before the First of December and threw themselves into Yuletide preparations. There was much to be thankful for, seeing out the old year, and much to be hopeful for in the new. As usual, a grand ball was planned for Last Night, and everyone wore their finest.

The cooks prepared such a feast that Ferdi wondered if he'd be able to dance at all, but once the music started, he found his feet tapping to the rhythm. He went at once to the little Bolgers, dancing several dances with little Mignonette and Cori and other young cousins, a few with older lasses, though he was always very correct, even stiff, in his behaviour to avoid fanning the flames of talk. He returned at the last to the Bolgers, saying to Pimpernel, 'I do believe the children will be off to bed soon?'

'Yes,' Pimpernel returned. 'They're up past their time already.'

'One more dance?' he asked, and the little Bolger daughters looked beseechingly at their mother.

'One more,' she laughed, 'and then we're off to bed.' He nodded and took Mignonette off, returning at the end of that dance for little Cori. He had timed things perfectly, for the next dance was a clapping dance, and the little lass brought a smile to many faces as she hopped and clapped with the grown hobbits, tiny face very serious as she worked to keep in rhythm. There was a scattering of applause when the dance ended, and Ferdi nodded to the little girl with a smile.

'They're saluting you,' he said.

She looked up at him, wide-eyed. 'Me?' she said in astonishment.

'Yes, my lady. Mind your manners, now.' She took his meaning and made a very pretty little courtesy to the crowd, which brought a smile to every face.

Pimpernel was still smiling as Ferdi brought her youngest daughter back. 'Thank you,' she said, 'that was lovely.'

Ferdi bowed, and hesitated, but she forestalled him. 'Not this night,' she said softly. 'I fear there has been some talk, since the last time we danced.'

His surprise showed in his face before he was able to school his expression, but he bowed again to the children, saying, 'Sleep well, cousins, and I pray that this coming year shall bring you joy and many blessings.' They answered him appropriately, and then several impulsively hugged him before their mother herded them off to their beds.

***

The next morning was a rest day, since so many hobbits had stayed up to greet the new year. Ferdi was up early, for no matter how late he sought his bed, he could not sleep past dawn. His body would waken him when the Sun was rising, even if he was deep within the Smials, unable to see her face.

Reginard was still chasing out the young hobbits who'd talked the night through, roasting mushrooms and bacon on long sticks over the blazing Yule log, when Ferdi entered the great room in search of early breakfast. He put his hand to helping set up the tables, which had been cleared away for dancing the previous night, and then settled down to a hearty breakfast, hot and plenty, just as he liked it. Tolly wandered in when he was half-done, taking the seat opposite. They exchanged good mornings, and ate in silence for a few moments, until Ferdi spoke.

'Tolly,' he said, eyes on the ham he was cutting, 'What does the talk say about me, these days?'

Tolly dropped his eyes and shuffled his feet, clearly ill-at-ease. 'You know I do not pay much heed to talk, cousin,' he said.

'That is why I am asking you, and not Hilly,' Ferdi answered. Tolly did not answer, and Ferdi said, alarmed, 'Is it that bad?'

'No, not at all,' Tolly said hastily. 'I hear more in your defence than anything else.'

'And what do I need defending from?' Ferdi asked, his voice deceptively mild.

Tolly sighed. He hated the talk, hated gossip with a passion, refused to join in the speculation that was rife in the Great Smials, that grew worse in the winter months when the weather kept hobbits indoors and idle. 'Folk have noticed your attentions to Pimpernel and her children,' he said.

'I had gathered as much,' Ferdi said dryly. 'What else?'

Tolly raised his eyes from his plate. 'I know that you have no intention of dishonouring Rudivacar Bolger's memory,' he said firmly. 'You are as honourable a hobbit as the day is long.'

'I dunno,' Ferdi said, 'the days are pretty short this time of year.'

'You know what I mean,' Tolly said in frustration.

'I know very well,' Ferdi answered. The two finished their meal in silence.

***

'A leave of absence?' Pippin asked, then considered. 'You have taken little enough time for yourself, Ferdi, of course you may take a leave of absence. How long do you wish?'

'A month?' Ferdi asked.

Pippin nodded. 'Going to Woody End?'

'Yes, I thought I might make a nice, long visit there, spend some time with the nephews, spoil the nieces a bit,' Ferdi answered. Pimpernel and her family were due to remove to Bridgefields in three weeks' time; if he stayed away for a month they would be well gone before he returned.

'Very well,' Pippin said. ' 'Twill be difficult to do without you, but we'll manage somehow.'

'You always do,' Ferdi answered.

***

However, when he returned, the Bolgers were still in residence at the Great Smials. He asked Hilly about the matter, and Hilly told him that the workhobbits had found some serious problems in the venerable old manse, and that the work would take until Mid-year's Day, or so, before Pimpernel and her children could move back to Bridgefields.

Ferdi sighed, and nodded. He would walk carefully, to spare Pimpernel and her children the pain of idle talk. It was not so hard while the weather remained rainy, but with the arrival of the warm spring days, he found that his efforts had not been wholly successful.

The first really fine day, young Faramir presented himself before the head of escort with a few other hopeful young Tooks. 'Can we go stalking this day?' he said. 'You said you'd show us how to find birds' nests.'

'Only if you promise not to rob them,' Ferdi reminded, and the lads bristled indignantly. He nodded in satisfaction. 'Very well,' he said. 'Meet me after teatime and we will go out to the fields and the Little Woods.'

As they picked their way across a field, later that day, Ferdi asked Faramir where young Rudivar was. Farry looked up, plainly uneasy. 'What have you heard?' Ferdi asked quietly.

'My da said I'm not to repeat talk,' Farry answered.

'Very wise of your da. Good to listen to talk, to know what is going on in the hearts of the people, but unwise to pass it on,' Ferdi said. 'However, if the talk is about me, I want to know what it is.'

Farry nodded, digesting this viewpoint. 'Rudi said...' he began slowly.

'Yes?' Ferdi said encouragingly.

'He said, he already has a father,' Farry went on, his tone puzzled. 'I do not know what he meant, but he said that is why he won't go out with us anymore.'

'I see,' Ferdi said, and he did. 'It's all right, Farry, Rudi and I are still great friends, and that is why we won't be walking out together anymore.'

'I don't understand,' Farry said.

'You will when you're older,' Ferdi answered absently, and the young hobbit sighed. That seemed to be the standard answer for anything he found puzzling. He wondered how old "older" was, and when all his questions would finally be answered. Ferdi distracted him then, by pointing out a lark rising into the sky from the field, and they spoke no more of the matter.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List