Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi – The Eryn Lasgalen Cycle  by fan81981

Chapter 4 – Power and Promises

“Would you like to take a seat?”

Rhinure blinked at those courteous words. After watching Legolas slam the door, cutting her off from her Avari, Rhinure had expected to be inundated by angry words and accusations. Instead, Legolas had turned around, leaned back against the wall, folded his arms, and silently watched her. Not to be outdone, she had returned his scrutiny with equanimity, keeping her eyes locked with his. But these words, so unexpected, threw her.

“I do not believe so. I am fine where I am.”

Legolas pushed himself off the wall and advanced towards her. “Sit, my Lady. This will take some time and I would not want you to get tired.”

“Then why do we not continue this in the morning, after I have rested?” Rhinure asked sweetly.

Clasping his hands behind his back, Legolas made a complete circuit around her before answering. “I think not. We will talk now.”

Rhinure followed his movement through the corner of her eyes, taking care not to move. She would not give him the satisfaction of seeing her unnerved. “As you wish, my Lord. But we are not talking about anything at the moment.”

Legolas stopped in front of her, “Did Cothion give you that?”

“Give me what?”

Legolas lightly touched the rose in Rhinure’s hair. “This.”

Rhinure nodded. “Yes, he did. Do you like it?”

Legolas stroked the bright flower. “It is lovely. Still …”

Rhinure frowned, “Still?”

“Still, I do not like it in your hair.”

Legolas moved to pull the rose out of her hair, but Rhinure was faster. Her hand clamped down on his. “That was a gift, my Lord. Before you presume to take it away, ask me.”

“Presume?” Legolas’ fist closed around the bloom, crushing the petals. “Am I not your husband? Are my preferences always to be ignored?”

“Am I not your wife? Are my preferences to be ignored?” Rhinure shot back. “Let it go, my Lord.”

Legolas opened his fist and Rhinure stepped back. She turned to the mirror to find that the bloom had been ruined. Its petals fell like silent tears and its stalk had obviously been snapped. Rhinure could wear it no longer.

Rhinure gently removed it from her hair and said softly, “You got your wish, my Lord.”

Legolas glanced at the dark head, bent over one insignificant flower that had caused so much trouble already and he sighed. “I am sorry,” he said softly, though he was not. If Rhinure had not stopped him he would have squeezed that flower until all the anger she had caused tonight had left him. He would have squeezed until nothing of that flower remained.

Rhinure turned her back on Legolas. “Why do you do things for which you will have to apologise? This was a gift. Even you admitted it was lovely, yet you did not want me to wear it. May I never have something that is attractive?” she demanded, hands still cradling the broken flower.

“How dare you accuse me of such a thing?” Legolas stepped forward, horrified that she could even think, let alone articulate such a thought.

“Why did you want me to remove the flower?”

“I did not like it.”

“Why? It was just a bloom. I have seen you give many a rose to other ellyth. What was so wrong with this one, that I could not have it?”

“What was wrong was that I did not give it to you!” Legolas exploded, causing Rhinure to take an involuntary step back.

“I did not give it to you,” Legolas repeated a little sadly.

“I do not understand, my Lord. What difference does it make if you did not give it to me? It still looked good in my hair, did it not?”

Legolas smiled warily. “It looked beautiful. You looked beautiful. And every time I looked at you, I was reminded that someone else had seen what I did not.”

Rhinure cocked her head, getting more confused by the minute. What had Cothion seen that Legolas had not? When Cothion had given her the flower he had said it was a reminder that she could be beautiful. That she, too, could be a jewel like the Eldar. Was Legolas referring to that reminder?

“Legolas …”

At the sound of his name, Legolas looked up and Rhinure was appalled to see the hurt in his eyes. Without willing it, she stepped forward and gathered him to her. Though she did not want to deal with this emotional storm, even now her heart thudded in nervousness and the beginnings of panic, she could not leave Legolas.

Legolas clutched at her, for having her near was the only thing that could block out his pain – and his sadness. “I should have been the one to give you that flower. I should have been the one to place it in your hair so that all would know what I know – that you are beautiful.”

Rhinure swallowed, Legolas’ words affected her more than she cared to admit, even to herself. If Legolas thought her beautiful and thought that the rose highlighted that, then why was he so angry?

“Then … why, my Lord? I do not understand.”

“Do you not?” Legolas raised his head from her shoulder and looked at her with the utmost scepticism.

Rhinure frowned, “Are you implying that I am lying? You wound me, my Lord.”

“I sincerely doubt that anything could,” Legolas said bitterly.

Rhinure took a sharp breath and calmly continued. “I do not lie, my Lord. Now, would you care to explain what your trouble with me is?”

Legolas smiled, a joyless, pitiful thing. One hand moved up Rhinure’s back and lightly caressed her head before moving down. “Are you really that oblivious, hervess nín? Did you not see how jealous I was tonight?”

Rhinure blinked and instinctively let Legolas go. This much emotion was uncomfortable. She had to get out of here, she had to think this through, she had to get herself under control, she had to … she must …

“Rhinure, do you have nothing to say?” Legolas asked softly as he tipped her head back so that she was looking up at him.

“You were jealous?” Rhinure repeated in wonder.  She would have never thought that anyone would be resentful over her and Cothion. She had never thought anyone would have been jealous over her at all.

“Did I just not say that?”

“You have no cause to be jealous.”

“Do I not? You and Cothion obviously share an intimate relationship. A relationship which is deeper than the one you have with me.”

“I have known him all my life, my Lord. Did you expect anything different?”

Legolas thought about it carefully before answering. “I suppose I did,” he said finally.

When Rhinure made a move to object, Legolas placed a restraining finger on her mouth. “Hear me out.” He waited until she nodded and only then did he continue. “I have known, intellectually, that you come from a culture, a tradition – a life – which I am not a part of. You have known many elves before me and you will know many after me.”

“There will be no elf after you,” Rhinure interrupted, unable to let him continue without saying something – anything.

Legolas smiled, absurdly pleased at that statement, feeling as if it almost made up for the entire night. Closing his arms around her, he rested his head atop hers. “You come with a past that I know little, if anything, about. You are different from me; you have different tastes from mine. You like things I do not and dislike things I do. I knew this when I made you mine, but to be reminded of it so vividly tonight was a little more than I could tolerate.”

“But I am yours, my Lord. And though you do not share my past, you are my future.”

*~ More than you realise. ~*

Legolas’ hand travelled up her back to rest on her nape, keeping her head near his though she made no move to withdraw. “Obviously it is not enough of a future. You still keep so much from me that nights like this are only the symptoms of a greater ill. How can we build anything together when we cannot share the simplest of things?”

“What simple thing do you speak of?”

“Why did you not dance with me? What could be simpler than that?”

“Simple to be in a middle of a room where all eyes stare at us, judge us?”

“It would not be that way.”

“It would not, cannot be any other way. Do you not see the way they talk? The way they whisper behind polite hands raised in greeting? Do you not see the way people watch you when you walk into a room? The way they watch me standing next to you? The pity in their eyes is unbearable.”

“Why would they pity you?”

“They pity you, my Lord. Because I am your wife.”

Legolas shook his head in denial. He would not accept such a simplistic explanation for such a selfish reaction. Rhinure had not been afraid of anything before, why should she be wary now? “Since when have you cared what other people think? Do they not have the right to feel as they wish? If they pity me, then why does that affect your actions? Or is it that despite all your fine philosophy, Rhinure, you are not as invulnerable as you think?”

Rhinure wanted to deny his words but what could she say? Even now, the memories of the sympathetic glances in Legolas’ direction made her want to scream – or hide, especially from the knowing look Legolas was giving her at the moment. Rhinure remained silent, for to say anything would only confirm his assertion.

But to say nothing would be as damning.

Confused, Rhinure moved out of Legolas’ arms, conscious of his eyes following her as she walked across his room.

When Rhinure finally stopped, Legolas moved forward to embrace her again, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her back against him. “Why do you not want to be with me, my Lady?”

Rhinure forgot the answer she was about to make as Legolas freed her hair and then kissed the dark mass.

“Do you want to be with me, as I do with you?”

“Yes,” Rhinure managed as Legolas’ talented mouth moved to her ear.

“Then why do you hide from me?”

“Hide what, my Lord?”

“Everything. Yourself, what you are beneath that hard shell.” Legolas nibbled lightly on her ear tip, causing her to gasp. “Do you lie to me, Rhinure?”

At this point, Legolas could have asked her anything and Rhinure would have said yes, so it was not too surprising when she answered in the affirmative.

“Why?”

“Because I must.”

Legolas turned Rhinure around, first kissed her cheek and then followed the line of her jaw down, taking care to avoid her mouth. “Tell me.”

“What would you know?”

“Everything.”

“There is not enough time to tell you everything.”

“Attempt it nonetheless.”

It was at this point that Legolas made the mistake and stopped kissing her. That reprieve combined with the look in his eyes gave Rhinure the shock she needed to come to her senses.

“Perhaps the attempt should wait.”

“Tell me, Rhinure.” This time Legolas’ voice was hard with determination.

“First, you tell me all that you keep from me.”

Legolas’ arms fell away and Rhinure was quick to put some distance between them for without that she would not be able to serve her people.

“I keep nothing from you.”

“And you accused me of being a liar. You keep as much from me as I from you. To assert anything else would be a bald lie, not worthy of you, my Prince.”

Legolas sighed and tried a different approach. “I was not referring to affairs of state. I was of talking of the way things stand between you and me – our relationship.”

“Duty comes before all; I know this and would never use it against you. What you do for your people, you must. As a prince what you hide from me – you must.” Rhinure had to pause to swallow for she found her voice beginning to waver alarmingly. “I know this, but that is not what I am referring to.

“You want me to tell you everything that lies in my heart. Lay bare all my secrets where they may be exploited, but you will not do the same. Do you not keep things away from me, deep inside you heart and mind? Things you do not wish to tell me – things that you cannot tell me?”

Legolas looked away from those intense burning eyes and struggled to keep calm. For a moment, just the tiniest of moments, he heard the loud sound of waves crashing against rocks and everything was overwhelmed. Then, mercifully, Rhinure’s voice brought him back to himself and all was right again.

“Perhaps.”

Rhinure fell silent. She had known as much, everyone hid things but she was surprised at how much it hurt to hear Legolas say those words. But then, to drive home her point, and prove to herself that she was not so weak to avoid this issue, she continued, “Will you tell me what you keep from me?”

“One day.”

*~Only when I must. ~*

“Then how can you ask me to do what you will not?”

Legolas turned back to her, not remembering when he had turned away. “This is not the same thing, Rhinure.”

“Why not?”

“Whatever I keep from you does not prevent me from trying to make this marriage work. Whatever you do, does.”

Rhinure’s hand clutched at her stomach, smarting from that unexpected blow. “That was unfair, my Lord. I try, you just ask for too much.”

“Like when I asked you to dance?”

“Like when you asked me to dance, yes. Why could you not accept that I did not want to?”

“I did, but I did not let it stop me either.” Legolas stepped forward, causing Rhinure to step back, keeping the distance between them constant. “I will not let your refusals ruin my life, my Lady.”

The injustice of that remark caused Rhinure to stop retreating. One refusal to dance had ruined his life? And what of how he was destroying hers with his very public insistence? How he was hurting her when flirting with all others … except her?

“Tonight, when I refused to dance you did not try to convince me otherwise.”

Legolas started at the anger in his wife’s voice, “You would not have changed your mind.”

“You managed to seduce virtually every ellyth in the room tonight. Do you think I am so different, so unnatural, that you did not even try with me?”

“You are different. Unlike all the other ellyth, you would not have fallen for my empty words and smile,” Legolas stated with sad conviction.

“I might have liked to, given the opportunity,” Rhinure whispered.

 Words failing, Legolas stepped forward and clasped Rhinure’s hand in his. “Rhinure … if I had asked, again and then perhaps again, would you have consented?”

“We will never know now, will we?”

“If I ask you now, will you give in?” Legolas asked stepping in even closer until each breath caressed her face.

His nearness combined with his words made it difficult for her to concentrate. The warmth of his hand stole through her arm, making her aware of how cold the rest of the room was. She suppressed the shiver that ran through her but, obviously, she was not too successful for Legolas pulled her against him, gathering her hand in both of his and cradling it against his chest.

“Rhinure, be my friend.”

When she said nothing he asked again, “Rhinure, let me be your friend.”

Dazed, Rhinure looked up from where her hand was held captive, into Legolas’ eyes. “What would you have me say?”

“You would say what I wish?” Legolas asked softly.

Rhinure glanced back as Legolas slowly ran his thumb across her palm. “I do not know. Maybe.”

“Then say yes. Let me be your friend.”

“You are my husband. Is that not enough?”

“When you say that, what do you mean?”

 “I do not understand.”

“When you say I am your husband and that should be enough, what do you mean by that? What is my role in your life?”

“You are my bonded. You hold my Honour and Honour is all. You are my all.”

“Then why do you hesitate so when I ask for just your friendship?”

“I do not hesitate. I just do not know why you ask for so little when I have given you everything.”

“The very fact that you think it so little means you do not understand the word.”

Rhinure frowned, “Explain.”

“To be a friend is to be honest, to share, to sympathise, to be there in times of joy or sorrow. It is to sometimes do things that you do not like only because your friend does. Are you my friend, Rhinure?”

“What can I say to those words, my Lord? They are meaningless as any words can be. I am your wife. Those words mean more to me than any friendship can or ever will mean.

“To be a wife is to be beyond sympathy, beyond joy or sorrow – beyond friendship – beyond that point where comparisons lose their meaning for there can be no comparison. To be a wife is to be beyond measure. You who value friendship so highly, are you my husband?”

“I would like to be. Can you say as much in answer to my question?” Before Rhinure could answer Legolas continued, “You cannot. By your own admission, you lie to me. How can we have any relationship if you cannot tell me what you think, what you feel?”

“Enough. Since we have entered this room you have flung these accusations at me when you are as guilty as I am. You ask to be my friend, you ask me to be honest, you ask me to be sympathetic – always you are asking.”

“And you never answer,” Legolas shot back.

“There can be no answer. I cannot give you what you want.”

“Why not?” Legolas shook Rhinure in frustration.

“For you hide things from me too. And it hurts,” Rhinure bit out, clasping his arms to steady herself. Her eyes widened as she heard her unconsidered words. She had not lost control of herself in front of another in a long time and it still shamed as much.

Legolas, too, was shocked at her words. He blinked and wondered if he had heard incorrectly

Rhinure shifted under his arms, trying to break free without having to struggle. “Legolas …”

So soft, his name on her lips. Legolas just tightened his grip, not willing to let her flee just yet. He had to know - had she meant what she had said?

“Legolas, let me go.”

“No.”

“Please, I wish to go to my room.”

Legolas ignored what Rhinure was saying and asked softly, “You hurt?”

“Of course. Does not everyone?” Rhinure said coolly but her performance was lost on Legolas.

“Do I hurt you?”

“Yes.” The word was a whisper.

“Did I hurt you tonight?”

Rhinure looked away from him as she nodded weakly, pale cheeks burning with humiliation.

“When I danced with the other ellyth?”

“Yes – as you intended.”

“I know not what you speak of.”

Rhinure turned to look at Legolas. “You cannot deny that you danced with all those ellyth as a reprisal.”

“I danced because I wanted to – and because you would not.”

Rhinure’s eyes glittered with defiance. “Tell me that you did not think of me even once while you danced with them.”

“Of course I thought of you. It should have been you in my arms tonight, not them.” Legolas hands tightened around her shoulders. “I should not have had to go through such agony while you were but two feet away from me.”

“If it was that unbearable, why then did you insist on continuing?” Rhinure asked quietly.

“Because,” Legolas lifted her even closer so that she was standing on her toes, “you would not dance with me.”

Legolas brushed his lips against hers but before he could move away she caught them with hers, asking forgiveness the only way she knew how. “I did not mean to hurt you. It was just that …”

“But you did.”

“Yes, I did. As you did as well.”

“The difference is that I would spare you that pain, if I could.”

Rhinure sighed, “I know. But you cannot.”

“It need not be that way. If we were only more honest with each other, if we only talked about what was going through our heads, instead of keeping silent.”

“You do not want to be inside my head, my Lord. It is an unpleasant place. One that even I am not fond of.”

“I might, given a chance.”

Rhinure bit her lip. “I wish …” and then stopped for she was not sure what she wished for.

“Tell me.”

“I cannot.”

“Trust me.”

“Legolas, do not make this harder than it already is. There are some things best left unsaid between us no matter how we may wish it otherwise.”

“It need not be that way. If you would only trust me …”

Rhinure interrupted, “And if you would trust me this would not be an issue, would it? You would know that I would tell you when I am able.”

“And if you are never able?”

“Never is a long time, my Lord.”

Still surrounded by his arms, this time Rhinure stepped forward, burying her face in his shirt. “You must believe me when I say that I do not like keeping things from you. But I accept that – at least for now – that is how it must be.”

Legolas bent over the dark head, kissing it lightly. “And someday?”

“We have time, my Lord.” *~ I hope. ~* “Who knows what the future holds?”

“You do.”

Rhinure looked up, apprehensive that somehow Legolas had learnt something about the Lost Ones.

“Somehow, I feel that you know more about the future than you are telling me. And that is why you hide.”

“Feelings cannot be trusted, my Lord. They are phantoms, ever shifting, ever deceiving.”

Before Legolas could refute that statement, Rhinure brought his mouth down on hers, ending the need for words. In this, at least, she could be honest. As Legolas took her to bed, she held nothing back and – for now – that was enough for both.

 

  x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

It was a very tired Legolas who sat erect in his father’s audience chamber, but none who observed him could tell. At least, Rhinure could not; but then she had a lot on her mind just then.

Thranduil had requested Rhinure and her heir, Cothion to join Legolas and him in his chambers for an informal discussion. Though Cothion had been wary of the summons, for no matter how graciously phrased it was nothing less than a command, he had deemed it best if they attend.

*~ As if we had any other choice. ~*

It was at times like this that Rhinure missed Túrgwaith. The First Advisor had a keen eye for the ridiculous, finding it in the unlikeliest of spots. Cothion could be devious with the best of them, but he lacked the First Advisor’s sly sense of observation. Rhinure was certain he would have been amused by Thranduil’s letter.

He definitely would have been tickled by the ever thinning veneer of politeness that hung over the room at the moment.

Legolas and Rhinure had not spoken a word after the formal greetings, both too tired to make any conversation, no matter how trivial. Thranduil and Cothion were more than happy to fill the silence with speculative looks and menacing courtesy. One look at Thranduil was enough to convince Rhinure that Legolas had told him about their conversation last night. She was still uncertain whether to feel shamed that her husband would speak of such private matters or that she had driven him to such a point.

Either way, Thranduil was not pleased with Cothion today. The Commander’s presence in Eryn Lasgalen was a nuisance that, as a father, Thranduil did not appreciate. As a King, Rhinure was less certain of his motives. Cothion was the Avari Heir and Commander, and a useful ally. To antagonise him would not help the Wood-elves any, and Thranduil had to know that.

Now the question was; who would win – the King or the Father? Túrgwaith would have found the question most pertinent.

*~ As should you, Mistress. ~* Rhinure could almost hear the words whispered in her ear. She almost glanced up to see whether the First Advisor had somehow materialised in the room. But she refrained, for she knew that only her guards, Herenion and Arandur stood at attention behind their respective charges.

*~ Legolas’ use as leverage depends on how much of the Father rules the King. ~*

That thought made Rhinure sick. The truth was bitter sometimes, too bitter.

A light touch on her arm shook her from her thoughts.

“Are you well, my Lady?”

Rhinure looked up into concerned blue eyes. “Yes. Just a little tired.”

Legolas gently covered her hand with his own. “Meetings like this do not help, do they?”

“You told your father of our conversation last night.”

“He is my father.”

“Then why are you surprised at this meeting? Did you think the King would ignore what you said?”

Legolas looked at his father who was engaged in some conversation with Cothion. The words were just a pretext for the other to size his opponent. In themselves, they meant nothing. “I guess not.”

“You do not think that what we said should have stayed between us?”

“Why should it when it concerned more than us?”

“My Lord, how much did you tell the King?”

“Enough.”

“Everything?”

Legolas looked back at his wife and his eyes held a promise that made it difficult for Rhinure to concentrate. “Some things are between us and there they will remain.”

Rhinure turned her hand and, with her thumb, gently caressed the fingers still holding hers. “Thank you.”

“Did you afford me the same courtesy?”

Rhinure stiffened at the question and removed her hand, placing it carefully in her lap. “I did not, and will not, speak of last night with anyone. What you and I share – shared – is private … at least, for me.”

“My Lady …” Legolas moved to reclaim her hand, but he had lost her. Something being said between Thranduil and Cothion had reclaimed her attention and the moment was lost.

  x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

“I was commenting to my son, before the meeting, about how resourceful the Avari were,” Thranduil said pleasantly.

Cothion nodded in acceptance of that compliment as if it was every day that the King of the Wood-elves complemented the Avari commander. His polite reply determinedly ignored the hidden condescension beneath that statement. “We are most resourceful. Was there something in particular that impressed you, or were you commenting in general?” There, he had left an opening for the King to say openly what he had been hinting at for so long now.

“The Avari attitude in general is worthy of astonishment.” Thranduil smiled, stressing the last word such that Cothion was unsure whether he meant it as a positive attribute or a slur.

“Take as a small example, the Avari patrolling system.”

“What of our patrols?” Rhinure broke in.

“Welcome back, Princess. I had thought perhaps that my son had managed to completely monopolise your attention.”

Cothion stiffened at the truth in the statement but Rhinure’s slight nod stopped him from answering back.

“Perhaps I monopolised her attention only because nothing was being said here,” said Legolas, blue eyes flashing.

Thranduil’s gaze flew to his son, and there was a measure of hurt in the older elf’s eyes. His son had sided with his wife, it was a minor thing but nevertheless, it stung.

Legolas set his mouth and ignored the surge of guilt Thranduil’s unspoken question evoked in him. That last statement against Rhinure was uncalled for. Whatever Adar did to Cothion, Legolas would welcome it, but he would not stand for Rhinure to be hurt or humiliated unnecessarily.

It seemed as if Thranduil was not the only one surprised at that unexpected defence. Rhinure looked at her husband as if she could not credit the words she had heard. Legolas looked at her defensively, blue eyes silently asking her what he should have done. Thranduil was his father and King, but she was his wife.

In answer, Rhinure found herself melting. She could see how much those simple words had cost Legolas and she appreciated them. More than appreciated them. The realisation that Legolas would defend her, even against his father sometimes, warmed her until she felt she would burst.

*~ So this is what joy feels like. ~*

When Rhinure turned back to the King, the softness that Legolas evoked lingered in her face and the relaxed set of her shoulders. She seemed so happy that Thranduil had to let go of his hurt. He could not be angry when such a small rebellion had brought such happiness to another.

“As I was saying, do the Avari have any new information about the orc incursions?” Thranduil asked kindly.

 

  x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Cothion watched the interaction between the three other elves at the table with great interest. The Prince’s defence of Mistress greatly pleased the Commander. It showed an attachment to her that had to be carefully cultivated. At least there was something about this marriage working in the Avari’s favour.

What pleased him less was Mistress’ reaction. Those simple words had robbed her of all guile, leaving her more open than he had seen in a long time. The way she spoke, the way she answered the King’s question, without circumspection and with a trust that seemed excessive, made him wary. Mistress was never this amenable, except with a rare few – the children, Istion, on rare occasion, when both saw things the same way, Cothion – and when he had been alive, Morion. Not even Ehtewen, the elleth who had been a surrogate mother to Rhinure, had managed to evoke that softness in her. Of course, that was probably Ehtewen’s fault, the First Guard evoked a lot of feelings; wariness, respect – fear, but gentleness was not one of them.

Cothion was not sure if it was the mild envy he felt at this moment that was causing his unease or something else. That prince had managed to disarm Mistress with a few words, something that had taken Cothion many a decade. Or was it the fear that while Mistress was able to rest when her husband was near, would she be able to fight if needed?

Till now, there was nothing to fight over. Now that the King had stopped making those snide insinuations and asked uncomplicated question about the Fallen, Mistress could answer honestly.

There was not much to tell. With Avari numbers to fill in the gaps in the Wood-elves numbers, fewer and fewer orcs were getting through to the settlements. Nevertheless, the King had moved in the Wood-elves as much as possible without having to abandon the existing borders. It allowed the Border Patrol to worry about less of an area.

With Tirnen closer to the Realm’s borders, the Avari had less problems with the defence of the Clan. Cothion had to admit that Mistress’ plan had been a sound one. With the forces not spread so thin, the Avari could turn their efforts to discovering the how and why behind these attacks.

Unfortunately, they had not met with much success. Beyond the death of the Spy Masters that served as warnings, and a few whispers of the dark ones, of the Lost Ones, the Avari had no more concrete proof of who was behind these attacks than when they had entered into the alliance.

Worse still, they were still uncertain about where and how these raids were being planned. They were still not sure how wide-spread these attacks were. Or how many Fallen they were dealing with. Was the entire remnant of Sauron’s army now turning its awful face towards Mirkwood? Or were they a few stragglers being used as a first wave, before the hidden ones came out to finish the job themselves?

For now, the questions had less urgency as Tirnen’s move had seemed to confuse the Fallen. With the Avari more active in the Wood-elves territory, the enemy could not be certain how many elves it was dealing with. It, like the Wood-elves could not be certain of the Avari numbers and that had given it pause. Combined, the elves were still a formidable force, coming out of a war or not.

That was probably why the attacks had slowed in number and intensity. There were still a few, but they felt more like tests. The Fallen seemed to be testing the defences of the Realm, a little here and a little there - as if trying to ascertain where would be the weakest point, the weakest link to exploit.

Eventually, they would find their answer. But before that could be allowed to happen, the Avari had to find out some answers for themselves. Answers which could not be shared as easily with the King as Mistress shared her lack of information now.

“So you are telling me that the Avari cannot explain why the orcs have backed off?”

“I can speculate, my Lord, but no, if you are asking for proof, that I cannot give you.”

“Then by all means, speculate.”

“They are testing our defences. Why waste numbers until they can be sure they can hurt us?”

“That has never stopped the orcs before. This strategy seems a little too intelligent for them. They have always worked on the principle of overwhelming the enemy with sheer numbers.”

Cothion’s attention sharpened. What would Mistress say to that?

“They probably do not have the numbers to waste on such a strategy, my Lord.”

“Do you have any idea how many orcs we are dealing with?” Legolas asked.

Rhinure shook her head and looked at Cothion. He turned to his side, and drew out a map and handed it to her.

Spreading it out on the table, Rhinure pointed to a few red markers on it. “These are sightings of orcs we have had in the last two months. The number of orcs and date has been written on the side.”

Thranduil looked at the map, most of the sightings were similar to those found by Maenon, but what Thranduil found intriguing was that there were sighting in areas where he had specifically forbidden Maenon to go for they were too dangerous. Some were behind accepted enemy lines. The Avari were certainly more reckless than the Wood-elves when it came to scouting.

Interesting.

 “Most of these posts have been abandoned.”

“You send elves back to known orc posts, to make certain they were abandoned?” Legolas asked incredulously.

Rhinure set her jaw and nodded.

Legolas grimly acknowledged that news and asked, “How many are still active?”

“Not many. The ones nearer to the Realm have been abandoned. It is as if the orcs have been pulled back.”

“Or that they are re-grouping at a safer distance,” Cothion added.

“Perhaps. But at this point we cannot say for certain.”

Thranduil nodded and added his own information, keeping only a few pieces out. There was not too much to say. For now, there seemed to be lull in the fighting. Thranduil could only hope it was not one before a storm.

“We must take this time to find out what numbers are we dealing with and whether Eryn Lasgalen is the intended target.”

“And how do you propose we do that?” Rhinure asked.

“Legolas has been invited to Gondor to attend a wedding.”

Rhinure glanced questioningly at Legolas who picked up the thread of the conversation. “Prince Faramir, whom you have met, is to marry the Lady Éowyn in about a month’s time. He has extended an invitation to me – to us – to attend the wedding.”

Rhinure looked at Legolas blankly, not understanding what the invitation had to do with their current lack of information.

“Other than being a dear friend of mine, Faramir is also the prince of Ithilien.”

“You have told me this before.”

“And Lady Éowyn is sister to the King of Rohan,” continued Legolas as if Rhinure had not spoken.

Rhinure risked a glance to Cothion beside her but he too seemed more interested in what Legolas was saying than not. It seemed as if she was the only one who did not know where this was leading. But then, she was tired and a little slow this morning. If only Legolas would hurry up and finish, she could go to sleep.

“Together the human Kingdoms of Rohan and Gondor constitute the largest, and therefore the most obvious target, of Men in Arda today,” Cothion said unexpectedly.

Legolas’ eyes narrowed but he smiled pleasantly, “Very good, my Lord. You have made the connection with great alacrity.”

Cothion lent back in the chair and spoke softly, as if speculating. “If the Fallen are attacking at random then it would stand to reason that they would be attacking Men as well. At least, more than a few random skirmishes.”

“Not necessarily,” interjected Rhinure.

“And why not, sell nín?”                       (My Daughter)

Cothion threw a sharp glance in Thranduil’s direction, wondering if the words were deliberate or as much of an affectation as these Eldar titles of lords and ladies.

Thankfully, Rhinure did not seem to notice Thranduil’s claim of her. She was too busy picking out her words carefully. “It depends on how many of the Fallen are left. While the recent attacks on the forest show that they have plenty, is it enough to sustain an attack on two races? Better to concentrate on one to ensure some chance of victory.”

“Orcs have not been known for the internal cooperation,” Legolas pointed out. “There is nothing to ensure that they would act together.”

“They would if necessity forces them,” Thranduil stated firmly. “If their numbers are not strong, hunger would unite them.”

“Perhaps, but why attack the elves? Why not the humans, with their spread out lands, it would be easier to get past their defences?”

“Why not the elves? Our defences may be concentrated but so are our numbers.
We present a more tempting target per inch.”

Rhinure and Cothion kept silent, not offering their speculations. If they were right, and at that moment both prayed to whomever would listen that they were not, the Fallen attacked for vengeance.

It was a few moments before Thranduil realised that the Avari were not saying anything. “Be that as it may, seeing the state of the land of Men cannot hurt. If they too are having problems with the orcs, then we will know that the problem is larger and potentially more serious that we first imagined.”

“Is there any indication or news from your friends that they face trouble?” Rhinure asked Legolas.

“None, but then I have not told them about how serious our situation is either.” Legolas held up a hand to forestall the question he saw in Rhinure’s eyes. “And before you ask, I have not told them for there is no need as yet. This is our forest and we will protect it. If we need help then we will ask.”

“And you will give them no warning that they too might expect such trouble soon? Especially if we fail?”

“All the more reason to go and see if such a warning is needed,” Legolas countered smoothly.

“Why not just write to them? Would that not be more prudent?” Cothion asked.

“If ever we need their help then best to keep ties between our two peoples strong, would you not agree? Faramir came to my wedding, should I not return the courtesy?”

“But why do you wish to take Mistress?”

“For she is my wife,” said Legolas sharply.

“And she is our Sacrifice. She is needed here, by her people.”

“Why?”

Cothion blinked, “For the defence of our people.”

“Are you telling us that the Avari defence is so weak that it would crumble without one elf?”

“He is not saying anything of the sort, my Lord,” said Rhinure calmly, drawing Legolas’ attention back towards her and away from a confrontation with Cothion. “But I have duties in Tirnen.”

“And you have duties to me and my people as well, Rhinure.”

“But is this the right time to be leaving the Realm? In the time of war it is best if all commanders are present.”

“But we are not at war yet, my Lady. What better time than now, when there is a break by your admission in orc activity?” asked Thranduil pointedly.

“Unless there is something you are not telling us? Perhaps you know why this is not a good time for you to be leaving the Realm?”

Rhinure was trapped and she knew it. She could not refuse without highlighting the seriousness of the situation and she could highlight nothing unless she was certain about the Lost Ones.

“Surely Lord Cothion can handle matters for a month or so. He is obviously an elf of experience.”

What could Rhinure say to that? Legolas was correct; with centuries of years on her, Cothion was more experienced in military matters as it was. He could protect Tirnen as well as she from any attack. Had that not been a comfort when she had announced her marriage, knowing that Cothion would be there for her people when she could not?

“And it is not as if you are physically with your people most of the time,” Legolas added, just to drive his point home.

Rhinure looked at Cothion but he did not seem to have an answer for her. “May I have some time to think about it?”

Though Legolas was angered by Rhinure’s instinctive plea to Cothion, he smiled and graciously gave her the time she wanted, even though both knew what her answer would be.

 

  x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

“You have to go.”

Rhinure turned from the window, more surprised that Cothion had spoken than at his suggestion. “And leave Tirnen?”

“Do you think you have a choice?”

“I could explain to Legolas how important it is for me to stay.”

“How? After all, I am capable of protecting the Avari in your absence. I have been doing so since you moved in with these Eldar, have I not?”

*~ But are you capable of leading them? ~* Rhinure wondered. But she did not say that, keeping her thoughts to herself, not speaking her mind. These last few weeks had made her realise how rarely she did. She had always thought it a sign of prudence but sometimes, too often for comfort, it smacked of cowardice.

“Are you listening to me, Mistress?”

Though Rhinure nodded her mind drifted. Cothion still did not call her by her name, shying from that familiarity like a nervous colt. When Sarniel had been alive it was always ‘young miss’, or ‘child’, or a thousand other titles which maintained that distance. And perhaps distance had to be maintained. After all, why would an experienced commander bother with a little girl who followed him around, asking him questions, never leaving him alone for she hoped, in the process, to catch a glimpse of her mother.

 

“Then you agree?”

Again Rhinure nodded. Her becoming Sacrifice had not changed the relationship between her an Cothion much. He still called her by her title, and he still answered her questions and pacified her demands. Only now, it was he who followed and she who led. And Rhinure was not willing to let that slide back. That was one thing she would not wish to change.

“Would you like me to inform the Prince or will you?”

“Inform him of what?”

“Of your decision.”

Even though Rhinure wondered what she had agreed to, she shook her head and calmly said, “I will tell him.”

“You will be careful though, Mistress, will you not?”

Rhinure felt as if she had walked into the conversation a minute too late but she thought it was prudent to agree. “I will.”

“When will you leave?”

 Rhinure blinked, so she had agreed to accompany Legolas. Keeping her face blank she answered, “I will have to discuss that with the Prince.”

“Be certain to tell me so that I may prepare Tirnen.”

Rhinure raised a questioning eyebrow, “Is there anything else you want to tell me?”

Cothion did not hear the sarcasm in the question, probably because Rhinure masked her impatience so well. She wanted to deliberate about the morning council, about Thranduil’s words. He seemed a little too confident in the face of so little information. Rhinure wanted to go over what he had said to ascertain whether he had left clues about what he knew but was not sharing. But she wanted to do so alone, without the distraction of Cothion around.

And of course, there was Legolas to think about.

Where to start when it came to him?

Rhinure glanced back to where Cothion sat. After leaving the council, he had followed her back to her room and she had not been able to get rid of him yet.

“When will you speak to him?”

“Soon.”

“When will soon be?” Cothion persisted.

“It will be when it will be, Commander. Do you not think you should leave me to prepare?”

Cothion stood but not before making one final statement, “Mistress, you will be careful around him, will you not?”

“Do I have to be careful around him? Was it not you who insisted that he was not a danger?”

“He is not to an Avari who remembers how dangerous emotions can be.”

Rhinure sighed and turned towards the window, “Say what you wish clearly, Commander. At least there should be no duplicity amongst us.”

“You must avoid all emotional entanglements with the Prince.”

 “Is that not my concern? Who are you to interfere in my marriage?” demanded Rhinure with no real heat.

“Mistress, I know what I ask of you is unfair but I must ask it nonetheless. Our people depend on you to lead us and you cannot if you cannot see clearly.”

“I know.”

“Then you will be careful?”

“I will,” Rhinure promised again. There was nothing else she could say. She understood Cothion’s concerns for they were hers, but that did not mean she had to agree with his prescription either. For now, it cost her nothing to agree.

“Then I will leave you to your thoughts, Mistress.”

Rhinure nodded but she did not turn from the window, willing herself to block out everything around her.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

It was late afternoon by the time Legolas headed towards his chambers. After leaving his father he had decided to work his frustrations the best way he knew how – on the archery field. But even there his problems followed him.

He had found the elves divided into two frosty camps - Avari and Silvan, naturally. Both had wanted to practice but neither wanted to do it together. Legolas found it surprising that they had ventured to the field at all until he found out that they were there on Faelon’s invitation. Now, they could not leave without insulting the Lieutenant or stay without antagonising the Wood-elves.

Legolas had been sorely tempted to turn around and walk away from the mess. If elves could not learn to live together then they could suffer together. It was only the wordless plea from Faelon which made him stop and interfere.

Suffice to say, one blistering tirade and a mountain load of stress later, Legolas had solved the problem, shaming both parties to work together. As he left the field, not having gotten any practice or release himself, he wondered how Rhinure would have handled the problem.

*~ She probably would have ignored it, since it would be ‘none of her business’. ~* Legolas thought sourly. *~ She is so frustrating. ~*

And she was obviously in her room, Legolas noted when he saw the silent duo outside her room. Istion nodded politely when he saw the Prince but Ehtewen treated him with cold disdain.

*~ I wonder if Rhinure learnt it from her. ~*

She could have; that particular look, with the blank face and the raised eyebrow as if the person had seen something particularly distasteful, was something Legolas had gotten used to seeing on Rhinure.

As Legolas passed her door, he wondered what she was doing. He really did not want another confrontation with Rhinure so he should probably leave her alone. She was probably stewing over something or the other.

But … on the other hand, what could a few minutes hurt?

He would just go in for a few minutes. Just a few minutes, then he would leave her alone, Legolas promised himself.

As he opened Rhinure’s door, he could not help winking at Ehtewen. The surprised, or was it shocked, look on her face almost made the day worthwhile.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Legolas opened the door softly and slipped inside, shutting the door behind him so carefully that it made not a peep. Even so, he was surprised to find that Rhinure did not turn from the window she stood at. Once again, she ignored him.

Or had she heard him at all?

There his wife stood, outlined by Anor’s dying light, seemingly lost in her thoughts. One hand rested on the frame, alternately squeezing and releasing the blameless wood. She did not seem happy; her shoulders were slumped forward, as if in defeat. Her breathing was laboured and filled the silent room with its distressing sound.

All Legolas wanted to do was put his arms around his intractable wife and make everything better for her, and that is just what he did.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Rhinure watched Anor struggle to complete its journey for the day, and fought her own silent battle, willing all her morbid thoughts to leave her alone. She was fast getting annoyed with herself for feeling so much without any reason.

The Avari distance from emotion was something she personally believed and followed as much as she could, even in her private life. The bifurcation between the public and the private aspect of feeling had always been difficult for her, especially given the amount of sorrow in her life. She had learnt the hard way that the Avari were right when they said that emotion was dangerous. She had often found it easier not to feel at all than only allow herself the luxury of feeling only in private.

She supposed that some Avari managed to find that elusive balance in their lives but she had still not found the courage to inquire about something so sensitive, so precious. For while feeling was dangerous, it was the only true freedom in life. No one could stop her from feeling what she did and as intensely as she did.

And how she wished someone would.

Rhinure mused that of all quendi, the Avari were probably most ill-prepared to confront the emotional turmoil life so often brought. Or at least, she was. Being here made her uncomfortable. Being away made her unhappy. Time spent with Legolas made her smile and then cry. It was confusing and, more than that, it was tiring.

She was tired of this all. She was weary of this mess that she had so willingly created and now did not know what do with. Most of all, she was drained by this game Legolas played with her for she did not know the rules and had the feeling that she was losing.

Rhinure rubbed her head, stopping the litany going through the head. It was darkly comforting to wallow in her problems but it did not help any. She still had to deal with the Lost Ones. She had sent a Spy Master after the last raiding party of orcs, which she had not mentioned to Thranduil. She hoped this one would have more success in finding the lost Avari, if Avari they were still, and live to tell the Clan about it.

And of course, there was still this trip. She had still not decided whether it was right to go or not. Would she be able to convince Legolas to let her stay? Perhaps she should go; Cothion certainly believed it was necessary. What could it hurt? It was not likely that the Spy Master would be back before she returned.

She sighed, feeling the thoughts swirling in her head, making it difficult for her to concentrate.

“Tired?”

Rhinure stiffened at the low question, almost jerking forward as strong arms encircled her waist. They must have felt her resistance for they held on, even when she would have moved away.

“Stay,” Legolas whispered in her ear, and she did.

“What were you thinking of?” Legolas asked, cuddling even closer.

“Nothing in particular,” sighed Rhinure, relaxing completely in his arms, letting the tension flow out of her body.

“That is not really an answer.”

“I know but I am too comfortable to answer right now. Do you want me to?” Rhinure tipped her head back to that she looked into Legolas’ eyes. The sight was so adorable that Legolas grinned and shook his head, wanting to keep things just the way they were.

“Good.” Rhinure turned back to the window, drawing his arms tighter around her as if to shield her from all that troubled her so.

“Is it not beautiful?” Legolas asked looking down at his wife looking out at his forest.

Rhinure sighed, though there was no real sadness in it now, which surprised her. “You talk too much.”

Legolas rested his head on hers before answering, “And you talk too little.”

“I like it when we do not have to.”

“We as in ‘you and I’ or as in a general collective?”

Rhinure smiled, “What do you think?”

 “I think I do not want to know the answer.”

“Why?”

“Because you are too honest for my good.”

Rhinure twisted in his arms until she was facing him. Putting her arms around his neck, she asked slyly, “And if I tell you that you would like this answer?”

“Then I would bid you speak.”

“I like it when there is no need for words between us. It feels like …” Rhinure paused, wondering if she could be so audacious as to willingly speak of what was felt.

“It feels like?” Legolas prodded.

Rhinure glanced up into his eyes and then down again, concentrating on the first tie of his shirt, above which she could see just the smallest bit of fair skin. It helped her speak.

“It feels .. warm, in a good way. Like I am covered by a blanket on a cold night.” Rhinure trailed off when she realised that Legolas had gone still.

“Come with me, Rhinure.” It was a command but its intensity made her quiver instead of rage. “Please.”

With a low, inarticulate cry for him to stop, Rhinure buried her face in his shirt. “I cannot.”

“You will not.”

“My people … the raids …. I am needed.”

“By myself. I will not go without you.”

Legolas tried to make her look up at him, her hiding from him, even in plain sight, was painful to him. “I need you to come with me, dear one. I will not allow you to spend more time away from me.”

“You will not allow?” Rhinure blazed, head lifting in challenge.

“No. You have come back to me and I am not willing to let you go just yet.”

“How will you stop me?”

“Simple.” Legolas smiled and kissed her, his mouth trailing over her cheeks and then her eyes, forcing them shut so that all she knew what his mouth on her skin and his arms around her.

“You cannot do this, I …”

Rhinure was unable to continue for Legolas’ mouth swooped down on her, effectively silencing all words. Every time she made to speak he kissed her until she lost all interest in what he could not do and was only concerned with what he was doing.

Legolas continued until he felt all resistance leave her body, and then just a little longer for he, too, was too involved to stop. Finally, when he was able to drag his mouth away from hers and calm his own breathing, he found his voice appallingly weak. “Do not make me suffer again, Rhinure. Come with me. It will not be for long.”

“Do you promise?” Rhinure whispered, for that was all she was capable of.

“Yes.”

“And my people will be all right in my absence?”

“I would not ask you to accompany me if I believed differently.”

Rhinure rested her head on his chest so she could hear the fast beating of his heart. “Why?”

“Why what?”

“Why do you wish me to come? I will only be in the way. You have friends to see, reunions to savour. I have …”

“Me. You have me. Is that not enough?”

“Yes,” Rhinure admitted for at this moment she could not manage any other evasion. “But …”

“But nothing. I want you to come with me. I want you to meet those who are important to me and I want them to meet you – for you are most important.”

Rhinure turned impossibly dark eyes to him and his voice gentled, become more coaxing for he instinctively knew victory was close and only needed a light touch to secure it. “You will enjoy yourself, darling. We will take this time out of our normal lives, just for ourselves. Do you not want that? Do you not want to spend the time with me? Think about it, Rhinure. We would be away from all other distractions – alone.”

The promise in Legolas’ voice, the seductiveness of the offer – to be able to hide, just this once from her title, with him – was more than Rhinure to withstand.

“Your people are strong, they will not be harmed by your rest. Are they not survivors?”

Rhinure nodded, drunk on his words and her own desire.

“Just you and I, Rhinure. A time to be husband and wife, to achieve the marriage you wanted. Is that not worth it?” Legolas did not allow her to answer, afraid of all the objections she might make. He needed her to come. Thranduil had promised that it was safe for them to leave and he trusted his father. He would not hide anything important from his son and heir, Legolas was sure of it. With that assurance, Legolas was determined to have his way with Rhinure, even if it meant manipulating her into agreeing.

Legolas was no fool. He knew the effect he had on Rhinure, how could he not when she trembled with passion whenever he touched her. If victory required him to use it against her then he would. He only hoped she would not hold it against him when she has time to consider what he was doing to her.

That thought was frightening enough to almost make him stop but he pushed it aside. Lightly tracing her leaf-like ear with his tongue, gently sucking on the sensitive tip, causing her to cling to him, he persisted, “Say yes.”

Rhinure pulled herself away from him, surprising him enough to make pause. “If I say yes, will you do something for me?”

Without thinking, Legolas nodded. He could not lose her now.

“Come to bed, my Lord.”

And this time, he did.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List