Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi – The Eryn Lasgalen Cycle  by fan81981

Chapter 7 – Ebb and Flow

Legolas watched Rhinure and Cothion from the balcony, torturing himself with the sight of the two of them together. Though he was too far to hear what they were saying, it was obvious they were having a private conversation. His fists clenched as Cothion took Rhinure’s hands in his. Enough was enough! Forgotten was his original task to warn Rhinure.  All he could think of was breaking up the cosy scene.

His stride was broken as he reached the gardens and saw Cothion draw Rhinure closer, whispering in her ear all the while kneading her shoulders. The action was so warm and tender that Legolas lost what little temper he was still clawing on to. With an impressive swirl of his robes, he marched up to the couple, smiling so brightly that he immediately put Cothion on the defensive.

“Greetings, Commander.” He nodded perfunctorily towards the Avari before turning to Rhinure, causing her to almost step back when she saw the glint in his eyes. She had never seen Legolas like this and, truth be told, it frightened her. There was madness flashing in his eyes and an anger directed towards her that was unnerving. Somehow, with a will that rebelled against this momentary lapse of cowardice, she stood her ground and nodded towards Legolas, not deigning to acknowledge him until he did her.

Legolas’ eyes flashed at the slight but he managed to prevent himself from reaching out and pulling her into his arms. Though angry, he was still conscious enough of his dignity not to humiliate himself in front of Cothion by losing control so.

However, he was angry enough to teach Rhinure a lesson and stake his claim at the same time. He gallantly bowed to Rhinure, sweeping her into his arms before she could react. “Greeting, wife. I am cheered immeasurably to see you so well.” He smiled down at her, holding her close to him, so much so that she could not move away without having to struggle.

Rhinure seethed at Legolas’ behaviour, conscious of how his arm encircled her waist, stroking her side in a rhythmic, possessive motion. But perhaps she was angrier at herself, for she admitted that if this scene had taken place a few scant hours ago she would have leaned into him eagerly.

If Legolas was aware of his wife’s stiff stance he said nothing, instead turning to Cothion and speaking pleasantly. “Forgive me, Commander, if in my impatience I have interrupted something important.”

“Nothing of import, your Highness. We had almost finished,” said Cothion, feeling all the while that all Legolas needed were fangs to complete the snarl he masqueraded as a smile.

“Then perhaps you would be so good as to finish whatever you were discussing so I could borrow my wife from you. I have need of her.”

“Certainly,” returned Cothion noting that Rhinure remained silent. “You will remember, Mistress.”

“I will not forget again. Thank you, Commander, you have done me a great service.”

“I live to serve you.” Cothion bowed and walked away, leaving the couple alone.

Legolas frowned, not liking the little exchange or the intensity in Cothion’s tone. His hold on Rhinure tightened as Cothion went past, as if he were trying to shield her.

Rhinure waited until Cothion had left before breaking Legolas’ hold. “What was so important that you had to interrupt us, your Highness?”

Legolas frowned at Rhinure’s use of his title. Her impertinence and the frigidness of her tone he was used to. But he missed the intimacy of his name on her lips. No matter what she said, or how she said it, the use of his name softened any blow. “Forgive my intrusion, my Lady. I could not curtail my impatience to greet you – properly.”

Rhinure knew that look in Legolas’ eyes too well. She braced herself as he stepped forward but it was for naught. Legolas’ mouth swooped down on hers, as if sensing his advantage, taking possession of hers in a blatantly intimate, and inappropriate, manner, moving over her lips hungrily, swallowing the weak protest she made. His hand came up to hold her head still as his tongue mated with hers.

Rhinure tried to hold herself aloof, truly she did, but the kiss made it difficult to concentrate on anything except how good this felt. Her hands which had been pushing at her chest, crept up around his neck, hanging on for dear life.

When Legolas finally let her go, he was pleased to notice that she had a slightly dazed expression on her face and her cheeks were flushed. “You are so beautiful,” he whispered reverently, wondering why he had ever thought her plain.

“Hmmm?” murmured Rhinure drowsily, struggling to remember something important.

Legolas’ eyes gleamed with victory as he took in Rhinure’s distracted state. And not one to pass up an advantage so conscientiously obtained, he smoothly voiced his displeasure at the amount of time Rhinure and Cothion were spending together, hinting subtly that she should curtail Cothion’s access to her.

“What you say is impossible. Cothion is my Heir and Commander, and there will always be much that we have to do together. If anything, I spend too little time with him,” rejoined Rhinure, voice becoming a little sharper as awareness returned after that dizzying kiss.

“Agreed,” Legolas smiled and lowered his voice to an inviting, husky pitch. “But would it not be better if you spent more time with me? Do you not think we occupy our time with more interesting activities?”

And down came his mouth again before she could stop him.

Rhinure shuddered as gentle lips ghosted over hers, coaxing her to relax and forget this dreadful conversation. As Legolas angled her head up, she let him, not having the strength to resist. She sighed, too close to caving but too weak to resist.

“That is it, dear one. Listen to me,” Legolas coaxed, trailing his mouth across her cheeks to her sensitive ear.

At those words, Rhinure immediately stiffened, pushing Legolas away. She felt as if someone had plunged a blade deep into her heart and was now slowly turning it, twisting it into her flesh. When Legolas made to hold her to him, she batted away his hands.

“How dare you?” Rhinure bit out, walking away from Legolas as fast as she could without running.

Legolas caught up with her. “Rhinure, what is wrong?”

“Why do you still insist on clinging to your innocence?”

“What do you speak of, wife?”

“Still you try to deny what you have done – and do – to me,” Rhinure bit out.

“Rhinure, I have done nothing.” Legolas held on to her arm so that she had to stop walking and look at him.

“And what did you call that display just now.”

“A kiss; just a simple kiss, heated by my ardour for you. Surely you do not blame me for that?”

“Spare me, my Lord,” said Rhinure scornfully. “That was not ardour.”

Legolas’ cheeks burned, as anger began to slip out of his control. “How would you know, my Lady? You profess to have no knowledge of emotion.”

“I know them, my Lord. I just control them, unlike you.”

“That was not so a moment ago, my Lady. I noticed a distinct excess of ardour on your part as well,” countered Legolas smugly, reaching up to caress her cheeks.

Rhinure shifted away so that he could not touch her; still furious but not finding the words to speak. She took a deep breath, forcing the bile back down so that she could deal with her Lord and Master. “You will not do that again.”

Legolas frowned at the command. Rhinure had never run from the physical intimacies they shared or tried to deny this only bond, fragile though it was. What has changed so to make her shy away from his touch?

“Do not touch you again, my Lady? I cannot promise that – and I do not think you would want me to.” Legolas stepped forward, determined to prove his point and re-establish his right over her. “I know you enjoy my touch.”

“Hear me well, my Lord. If you ever set out to humiliate me in such a fashion again, I swear by all that I hold dear, I will never let you near me again – let alone touch me.”

“Do not threaten me, my Lady, or I will prove how false those words truly are,” Legolas bit out, furious at being denied so.

Rhinure tottered back, stunned at this proof of Cothion’s words. In her heart of hearts, she had not believed the older Avari; she had wanted proof, and now, Fate be damned, she had it. Legolas has not backed down as she had hoped, declaring his insistence to be misguided and his timing to be a coincidence. He had instead threatened her.

Legolas would use what they shared as a weapon against her, to break her to his will.

She needed to be in control – be strong for her people. She was the one who had to make Legolas bend to her will – not the other way around. But the thought of using the intimacy of their marriage bed and their passion for each other against him, made her sick. And worse, it made her wonder if she had the strength to carry out this fool plan she had entangled herself in. The realisation that she had not fully considered what it would mean to use Legolas, what strength it would take, struck her with such a heavy blow that she tottered back, paling to such a degree that Legolas was immediately concerned.

“Rhinure?”

Rhinure shook her head, not looking at him. How could she hurt him like this, even if required by her people? How could she do this to another person, let alone to her husband? At first, she had had assumed that since they were married he would fall in with her wishes as and when she asked him. Later, she had admitted that some persuasion would be required. But only now was she realising that, bending him to her will would mean breaking him, as he tried to do her.

Legolas was worried at how pale Rhinure had become, not liking the defeated look in her eyes. He had not meant to hurt her, though he was not sure what he had done. They had fought before.  What had changed so that he has managed to slip under Rhinure’s guard with such obvious and deadly accuracy? “Rhinure, talk to me.”

Rhinure looked up at him, stiffening her spine. Somehow, from somewhere she would find the strength. She had to – the needs of the many, of her people, had to outweigh the wellbeing of one – even if it was Legolas. “What would you have me say, my Lord?”

“Tell me what is wrong.” Legolas lifted Rhinure’s chin so that she was looking at him.

“There is nothing wrong, my Lord. I have just come to a belated realisation,” Rhinure said with equanimity, finding the steel deep within her self.

“Rhinure, about the kiss,” Legolas paused, knowing that his kiss had somehow caused this winter, but lacked the right words to explain his jealousy at seeing Cothion and Rhinure together. “It was …”

“A mistake,” said Rhinure emphatically.

“No,” Legolas denied. No kiss between the two of them could be a mistake. Ill-advised, yes, but not a mistake. “While I regret the timing of the kiss, I cannot be repentant about kissing you, my Lady. It would be a lie to say that I did not think of kissing you every time I see you.” Legolas smiled hoping to break through the thaw in her eyes.

“Cothion was correct about you,” she said contemptuously before turning on her heel and leaving a stunned Legolas behind.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Legolas watched with narrowed eyes as Rhinure stalked off, leaving him with questions and an encroaching numbness that usually signalled his getting ready for battle.

What was Cothion right about?

The thought of the older Avari threatened Legolas’ calm but somehow he hung onto clarity; he could not succumb to the rage he was feeling. He had to think if he hoped to win this latest skirmish. Somehow, Legolas was not sure how but he could feel the truth in his gut, the Commander was responsible for this new mess. Somehow, he had managed to turn Rhinure against Legolas – somehow, he had managed to make her shrink from his touch.

The image of Rhinure recoiling from him threatened to unbalance him even more than his anger. Legolas swallowed convulsively, shaking his head to clear it. Far better to think of Cothion and how to deal with his interference. For interference it was – how else to explain why Rhinure had run away from him? She had never rejected him so and the only person who could have made her do so was Cothion. Legolas would make him pay for ruining the only thing about his marriage that worked – for breaking the only hold that Legolas had over Rhinure.

It was a matter of great pride to Legolas that Rhinure wanted him as much as he wanted her, that he could convince her to do what he wanted by only touching her. That sense of power was thrilling and a little illicit if Legolas cared to admit it to himself – and he did not. What would he do now that Cothion had robbed him of even this advantage? How would he make Rhinure see reason now? She was a difficult adversary even in her weakest moments. While Legolas admitted that touching her entangled him almost as much as it did her, by thinking hard on what he wanted before he was lost, he was able to get his way. Now it seemed that she had adapted to his tactics.

What to do now? Legolas would be unable to bend her to his will by argument alone.  He knew that instinctively. She was too strong for that, too self contained and independent to need him. She would be prepared for manipulation but he had to try to blind side her somehow. It was the only way to win.

Legolas stopped short. He was not thinking of his wife and the hurt he had caused – he was assessing an enemy and planning his next and best course of action. This was not a marriage – this was battle – one that Legolas was fully and whole heartedly engaged in.

Legolas turned and almost ran from the spot, appalled that he could treat this most important relationship as a war. How had it come to this? How has this special bond between two people, something he had always venerated and longed for, degenerated into something this crass?

The awareness of how much he had changed since Rhinure entered his life, and not for the better, was a sobering one. Before her ascension, Legolas had always treated such manipulation as a necessity but an unpleasant one to be avoided whenever rationally possible. Even when he had realised that he could not dare treat Rhinure with the honesty and consideration he had always been brought up to show ellyth, he had at least deplored the situation. But now?

When had he changed so that he was automatically manoeuvring to be in the best position against his wife, without even consciously realising it? Where had the elf gone who was sickened by the thought of using his wife? How had he been replaced by this person who did what he must without even a single qualm? Was this the new status quo? Would he always try to beat Rhinure instead of trying to find a better, more honest solution?

Even now a part of his mind scorned such weakness, such self flagellation. Rhinure’s attitude left him with no other choice.  If he hoped to eventually build something worthwhile he would have to fight for it. And if the fight got a little dirty, it was all in a good cause, was it not? Sometimes, the end justified the means – how could it not when the end was something he wanted – needed – so desperately?

And then there were his people. He had to protect them, and the only way he could do so was if he made sure that he could trust – and bend – the Avari Sacrifice when he, and his duty, needed to. This was crucial – so then why should Legolas berate himself and examine his thoughts which such doubt? Had not being with Rhinure taught him that some emotions were best left behind?

Legolas laughed bitterly, what a time to realise that what he had with Rhinure was a marriage. If marriage was something that two people grew within, then was this not growth, a twisted sort but growth nonetheless? Fate had a sense of humour it seemed, Legolas thought caustically as he headed towards the Audience Halls. His marriage would have to wait until he found the time. At this moment, he had to sit in judgement over pending disputes and then speak to Thranduil about the new recruits. Rhinure could wait until later.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

A day passed, leading to another and then to another. Legolas and Rhinure successfully managed to avoid spending time together, limiting themselves to the minimum public appearances. Though they were always unfailingly polite to each other, everyone noticed that there was a frigidity to the relationship that had not been there before.

The Wood-elves looked askance at their Princess and wondered what she could have done to bring down even their shining Prince. If she could do that to him then what would she do to them?

The Avari just waited … for an opportunity to repay the Prince for the hurt he had caused their Sacrifice.

And amidst all of this Thranduil watched his plans totter and his ties weaken, all the while his heart ached for his son. He wanted to take the two young elves aside and make them talk, if not to each other then to him. But at times such as these, something more pressing asked for his attention, or something required the involvement of the Prince, or even the Princess. So Thranduil waited, and wondered what he could do.

Even more days passed and the time for the couple to leave for Gondor approached, and all wondered if the party would even make it to the edge of Eryn Lasgalen before something unexpected and untoward happened. Neither side was looking forward to the journey.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

“Mistress?”

Rhinure looked up from the parchment to see a concerned Istion standing in front of her. She smiled to herself.  She sometimes forgot how young Istion was. She could feel his concern for her coming off him in waves, even though he valiantly tried to hide it. “Yes?”

“Are you well?”

“Of course.”

Istion shifted uncomfortably, Rhinure was not making this easy, not that he had expected her too; it was just that he had not thought it would have been so hard to offer his support. “May I speak to you candidly?”

Rhinure leant back, putting down the messages she had been reading in an attempt to bury herself in work. For days, she had barely spoken a word to Legolas, beyond the pleasantries demanded in public. If she could have helped it, she would have avoided those as well, but she had a role to fulfil as Princess and Sacrifice which demanded that she spend some time in his company where others could see them. When all else failed, there was still duty.

Rhinure found that keeping busy helped numb her feelings. It had worked once before, when Sarniel had died and Rhinure was determined that it would work again. She would put aside these sapping emotions and then confront Legolas to force a resolution. All she needed was a little more time.

“I did not realise that you needed permission to be candid, Istion.”

“There are some occasions when it is best to be a little more careful.”

“And this is one because?” Rhinure asked, puzzled by the care that Istion was taking. Such circumspection was not natural to him – whatever he had to say must be serious.

“Because this deals with your recent distraction,” said Istion stiffly.

“My distraction,” said Rhinure flatly.

“We know of the estrangement between you and the Prince, and we can appreciate the pain it ….”

“And who is this ‘we’ who are so unnecessarily concerned?”

Istion swallowed but bravely continued. “Your Avari, Sacrifice,” stressing Rhinure’s formal title, breaking through the armour she had surrounded herself with and making her really look at him.

“What complaint do my Avari have, Second Guard?”

“This is no complaint, Sacrifice, just an attempt to draw your attention back to your people.”

“I never forget my people, Second Guard. Stop evading the issue and speak plainly.”

“Your recent falling out with the Prince has not been unnoticed by the Wood-elves and as a result, your Company is suffering from renewed suspicion and simmering hostility.”

Rhinure blinked but recovered quickly. “Have there been any specific incidences?”

“Not yet,” said Istion, noting that she did not deny the estrangement.

“But you think there will be?”

“If nothing is done, then soon.”

Rhinure stood, putting the correspondence from Tirnen back in the desk and locking it. It would have to wait until she handled this matter.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Legolas stared out the window, taking a moment from his work. The noonday Sun shone brightly on the trees, filling Legolas with delight. He took a deep breath, filling his lung with the earth’s sweet perfume, opening his heart to the Forest and receiving its unconditional love, soothing his hurt temporarily.

At least someone loved him, his heart pointed out bitterly.

Legolas sighed and turn back to the supply requisitions. He wanted to make sure that the Border Patrol was adequately equipped and stocked before he set out for Gondor. Further, there were food rations that need to be sent out to the border settlements, which were still recovering from the War. He would have to amend some of the patrolling schedules so that some of the contingents could accompany the supply trains. The King did not want supply trains to be unprotected, even though they were within the Kingdom.

Legolas frowned, the thought of orc attack plaguing his mind. The elves had won the War, they should not have to work on a war footing still. It was unjust and the people were rightly tired of it. Legolas had been noticing more and more complaints were grounded in fatigue than in true grievance.

He looked at his Steward’s notes on the cases which would be appearing soon at the King's Hall. Some of them should never have been escalated for the Prince’s Justice, let along the King’s. But they had and Thranduil would not ignore them, but Legolas could understand why he had handed them over to Legolas for first perusal. Given the sheer number, even the Elven king could not wade through them quickly enough.

So much to do and so little time before he set out. Legolas turned back to the sheet in front of him, quickly going over the troop’s names in his head before amending the tally of arrows. Patrol 1 would need more now that Brêgond had assumed command. The elf was not known for his frugality. No matter how often Legolas had tried to impress upon him that quivers would not magically refill themselves, he still went through more arrows than two patrols put together. If his archers were not some of the best shots in the Realm, Legolas would have put Brêgond on guard duty a long time ago.

Legolas made a few more changes and suggestions to the requisition before signing it, sealing it with his Seal. A crown of leaves with two arrows going through it – the Seal of the Crown Prince with a little personal touch for Legolas.

Legolas smiled, remembering when he had asked his father when he was going to get a pretty stamp like he had. Thranduil had promised that it would be soon, and unfortunately it was – he had much preferred the days when he had sat behind his mother’s skirts and used the Great Seal to crack walnuts, instead of sealing orders.

Legolas smile widened as he remembered; he would have to get Rhinure to amalgamate her own Arms into the Princess’ Seal soon, perhaps before they left for Gondor …

Legolas pulled himself short. Plans would have to wait until he was able to talk to Rhinure without throttling her. Over two weeks had passed and he still could not look at her without seething. Of course, it did not help that whenever he turned around Cothion was with her. The two were joined at the hip and Legolas was now considering a more drastic solution – something on the lines of banishing the Commander from the Realm and tying Rhinure to his side for eternity.

“Whatever you are thinking, it is not worth it, ion nín.”  (My Son)

Thranduil’s voice startled Legolas out of his reverie. “I did not hear you enter the room, my Lord.”

“Obviously. What were you thinking of that put such a murderous expression on your face?”

“Nothing.”

“If you say so.  I have other things I wish to speak to you about.” Thranduil sat putting a pile of petitions in front of him.

“How may I be of service, my Lord?” asked Legolas, eyeing the pile suspiciously.

“Do you know what these are?”

“Petitions for the King’s Justice,” answered Legolas promptly, he had seen too many of these to now mistaken the Chief Justice’s seal.

“Very good. I am glad you have been paying attention all these years. Now can you tell me what these petitions deal with?”

Legolas shook his head, stomach churning at the gravity in Thranduil’s face.

“All, not most – all, have to do with mediation against the Avari. I thought you had dealt with this problem.”

“I thought so too.” Legolas frowned, skimming over some of the petitions – complaints about having Avari eat in their inns, suspicions about the Avari’s behaviours, petitions to move away from where the Avari stayed. Nothing Legolas had not seen before, but he was surprised at the volume. “I wonder what prompted this new deluge.”

“They are probably taking their cue from their Prince and his antagonism toward the Avari – especially the Avari Commander,” said Thranduil sharply.

Legolas gritted his teeth; Cothion was now causing problems for him with his people as well.

“I would like an explanation for your recent behaviour.”

“There is nothing to explain, my Lord.”

“Legolas, that was not a request. You have been distracted for far too long, so much so that you have not even spoken to your Company about the altercation.”

“I did not think it was any of their concern.”

“You did not think it was their concern when it happened in front of them?”

“It did not happen in front of them, Rhinure and I were alone at that moment – discounting Herenion and her Second Guard.”

Thranduil realised that Legolas did not know what he was referring to. “Have you talked to Faelon recently? Yesterday?”

Legolas blinked, “No, I have been caught up with other things. Faelon knows to come and see me in case of trouble.”

“Trouble can take many guises,” muttered Thranduil before adding, “Go speak to him today.”

“Yes, my Lord.”

“Now, explain to me what has been happening with the Avari Commander.”

“The Commander has been causing problems for me recently which I do not appreciate.”

Thranduil waited for Legolas to continue but nothing more was forthcoming. If his son was going to be stubborn … there was more than one way to skin a cat. “Perhaps I should ask Lady Rhinure directly. She usually knows what is happening with her Avari.”

“No,” Legolas burst out. “You should not involve her.”

“As you wish,” said Thranduil casually. He let a few minutes pass before continuing, “I think I will ask her to sit in during the audience as well. It is time she fully took over her duties as Crown Princess.” Thranduil ignored Legolas’ shaking head. “Besides, she should have a chance to defend her people.”

Ada, please…” Legolas could not have Rhinure with him while he conducted his duties. He would not be able to endure it.

“What is wrong, ion nín? What are you avoiding?”

“Nothing.” Legolas took a deep breath. “Please trust me when I say that this is not the right time to involve Lady Rhinure.”

Thranduil nodded, realising that Legolas would not speak to him about the trouble he and Rhinure were having. He wanted to ask Legolas about it, but he knew he had to wait until Legolas was ready. Besides, there came a time when he had to let his son make his own mistakes, no matter how monumental they were. “Am I right to say that she is already involved, especially between you and Cothion?” When Legolas did not reply, Thranduil took his silence to be consent. “I will let you handle this, for now.”

“Thank you, my Lord,” said Legolas shamefacedly. He had not realised that his actions were having such repercussions.

“I suggest that you patch things up with Rhinure quickly and present a more united front. Perhaps take a tour of the villages before you set out. Be the happy couple no matter how far from the truth it is. News travels fast, and bad news the fastest; I will not have rumours of the Crown Prince and Princess spread to the rest of the Realm – especially the troops.”

Thranduil paused before he left the room. “And, Prince Legolas, this will not remain a suggestion for long.”

 x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Legolas slumped as soon as Thranduil left the room. Things were worse than he had realised. He has been so lost in his personal pain that he had forgotten that the Wood-elves were taking their cue from him on how to deal with the Avari. If he showed discomfort and antagonism then so would they. It was not as if the Prince could be wrong, or that the Prince could be just a little petulant.

It was unfair that he could not have time to work out his problems with Rhinure, that no matter where he turned there was his duty and hers binding them, holding them back. He could not even dislike the ellon who was monopolising his wife without jeopardising the safety of his people.

Legolas sighed, wondering how long Cothion would stay, wondering why he was even here. It had been a month since Rhinure had come back with Cothion trailing behind her. Why had he not left as yet? Did the Avari not need him back at Tirnen? How much longer was he to stay and be a thorn in Legolas’ side?

Or was that the plan? Unbalance Legolas by angering him, keep him stewing in his own anger until he could see nothing but his wife? Could Rhinure be that devious? Or was it Cothion’s idea, perhaps a way to size up the Prince? Legolas would not put it past the older elf, completely absolving Rhinure of all blame without even consciously realising it. Legolas looked down at the paper covered surface of his desk. There was work to be done but he could not make himself get back to it, Rhinure’s face swimming before his eyes. He wanted to see her but knew he could not.

Legolas’ head dropped on to his forearms, but he could not block out her face. With a mounting desperation he emptied his mind and extended his senses towards the forest. The song of the trees would steady him. But it did not – opening his senses only allowed him to see the empty space where Rhinure’s feashould have been, the empty space that should be filled with her awareness. It was like watching an incomplete picture, as if the artist had forgotten to fill in the colours on half the canvas, leaving only thin pencil sketches on the surface.

Legolas clutched his head, willing himself to think of something else – anything else. And, sure enough, in answer to his call, another Song filled him, drowning out even the silence of his marriage.

As the surf crashed in his head and salt air filled his lungs, Legolas drifted away – finding some measure of peace in abandonment.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Rhinure’s slippers made little noise on the packed earth as she walked towards where her company were quartered. Istion walked two steps behind her, as appropriate, but where was Ehtewen?

“Where is the First Guard?”

“Having a word with the Commander.”

“About?”

“I cannot say for certain.”

“Speculate.” Rhinure was in no mood for evasions. It was bad enough that she had let things deteriorate so much, but she was not about to dither about finding a solution.

“I think she is taking him to task for aggravating the problem.”

Rhinure stopped, turning to face Istion so she could ask him carefully. “Aggravating what problem?”

“Mistress, as I said, the Wood-elves have been wary of us recently.”

“As we have been of them. What has changed?”

“Since we have returned, the Commander has been less accommodative of such behaviour. If the Wood-elves will treat us so then we are under no obligations to be cordial or to attempt to understand them further. In fact, the Commander has openly discouraged our mingling with the Eldar, pointing out that mixing with those who have betrayed us once will only lead to further pain.”

“He said this to the Company?” Rhinure asked incredulously, surprised that Cothion could be so foolish.

“Only after the company asked him.” Istion shifted slightly but finally crumbled under Rhinure’s glare.

“And why would they do that?”

“Well after he spoke to Arandur, things with the Wood-elves sort of came to a head and they needed advice. Since you were not there they went to the Commander.”

Rhinure swallowed painfully, aware that her shortcomings had let her Avari down. “Wait, he spoke to Arandur?” she asked suspiciously as Istion’s words filtered through.

“It was not too much of speaking, more of shouting actually.”

“Alright, when did he shout at Arandur?”

“I think it was a day or so ago?”

“Or so?” Rhinure blinked, she had not realised how badly the fight with Legolas had affected her. She had become careless and that was unforgivable. “What happened?”

“As far as I know, and I was not there, Commander Cothion sought Captain Arandur out. The Captain, it seems was not particularly eager to spend time with the Commander, but the Commander insisted. That led to heated words in which the Commander cautioned the Captain against losing his identity to the Wood-elves.”

“What did Captain Arandur say?”

“That if losing one’s identity meant keeping one’s Honour, then he was willing to pay that price. The King held his Three and he would honour them. Besides, the Commander was in no position to lecture him since he was no longer family. The Commander said that he was being a fool, but the Captain retorted by saying that if the Commander had to resort to such childish taunts then perhaps he should talk to you about removing him from Command.”

Rhinure sucked her breath, afraid to ask how Cothion reacted. “How many people were around to witness this little conversation?”

“Your Company, the Prince’s Company, and the new Silvan recruits.”

“This took place in the Barracks.” It was not a question.

“Yes.”

“And no one thought to inform me of such?” Rhinure asked sharply.

“We thought you would come to hear of it soon anyway.” Istion paused. “We waited for you to come and speak to us, as the King did with the Home Guard but you did not. The First Guard and I realised that you did not know so ….” Istion trailed off.

Rhinure was still having trouble processing what Istion had said. How could Cothion, a stoic in all circumstances, lose control so publicly? After a moment, something registered. “The King came and spoke to the Home Guard?” Istion nodded. “About the fight?”

“No. I do not think he mentioned the fight, he just kept Arandur by his side when looking over the new recruits. I think he even praised the Captain for his services to the Realm, and how his trust in him had never been misplaced.”

Rhinure smiled, at least Arandur’s position would not be compromised by Cothion’s unthinking actions. “Very clever …. The Prince did not speak to his Company?”

“Not that I know of.”

Rhinure nodded and continued on her way. “How is the Prince’s Company treating us?”

“With suspicion. Faelon has virtually stopped speaking to Agorion.”

“And Agorion?”

“Sees no reason to speak to Faelon. After all, the Silvan elves are the one who started this.”

“He sees nothing inappropriate in what the Commander did?” Rhinure demanded.

“No.”

Rhinure glanced over at Istion. “Do you?”

“No.”

Once again Rhinure paused in her stride. “Second Guard, please tell me that this is your attempt at being humorous.  Surely you must admit that the Commander handled this situation badly.”

“Perhaps his insistence and choice of venue were incorrect but he did not say anything wrong. The Captain has spent much time in the Realm, but he is still Avari. If he is in danger of forgetting that and his duty to the Clan, then as Commander, Cothion is absolutely correct in reminding him of that. Besides, it was Arandur who threatened the Commander and not the other way around.”

“And you do not think the insistence and the reminder were couched more in fear of losing his brother than concern for duty?” Rhinure asked tiredly.

“That is the Commander’s personal business. I cannot, and will not, comment,” said Istion stiffly, wary of getting into a discussion of emotional motivations.

Rhinure sighed, “Second Guard, you will have to learn that as a member of the Avari Council, sometimes you have to tread where no other decent Avari will tread. It is our bane and our privilege. If the Commander is emotionally overwrought, then it is our duty to point that out and help him correct it.”

“Forgive me Mistress, but I thought that was your duty. As Sacrifice, only you may command your Heir.”

“So it is, and one that I have been most remiss in performing. Lead on, Second Guard and let us see how I can salvage this mess.” Rhinure sighed and continued walking, all the while wondering why Legolas had not handled this problem before? And why had he not told her? Unlike Istion, he would see the seriousness of this development. Why then had he deliberately kept it from her?

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

“I do not care what the Avari teach, you were wrong,” hissed Ehtewen.

“Reminding my brother that he is danger of losing what should be most important is not wrong,” insisted Cothion mulishly.

“He is not your brother!” Ehtewen erupted, barely managing to restrain herself from shouting. Though she took great pains to hide it, she was frightened at the swift weakening of the Commander’s control. Cothion knew the value of control and the necessity of keeping one emotion’s in check. What better example to the Avari than sending one’s own brother to the enemy as a token of trust? To see such a paragon succumb to the basest of emotions, anger and jealously, was frightening. How long before all of them fell prey to this Silvan madness, and forgot what the Avari had learnt so painfully over the Ages?

Cothion paled but managed to continue, “He might not acknowledge me as his brother but he will always be so to me.”

Ehtewen sighed, knowing that she had overstepped her boundaries. “You know what I mean.”

“I think he – along with the rest of the Company –have understood your meaning. Perhaps you would like to try again, a little louder this time. I think the few remaining elves in this Realm might have missed it.”

Both Commander and First Guard whirled to find the Sacrifice standing in the doorway.

“Mistress, we did not hear you coming.” Ehtewen stepped aside to let Rhinure enter fully.

“Obviously,” said Rhinure with cold sarcasm.

Sarcasm which only served to anger Cothion. “How ever did you find the time to come and see us, Mistress? You have been so engrossed in your own personal troubles that we feared that you had complete forgotten us.”

“I was dealing with other matters, Commander. I had hoped my Commander and Heir was more than capable of handling one Avari company and behaving in a manner befitting an Ambassador of his people. From what I have heard, I was sadly mistaken in my belief. You are neither capable nor trustworthy,” finished Rhinure, causing everyone to take a sharp breath in shock. Istion had the sense to bar the door and bolt the windows before more of this conversation leaked out.

“How would you know what I am capable of if you are never around to judge the situation? Hiding in your chambers from your husband is not a mark of a leader.  It is cowardice,” shot back Cothion.

“Retreating to gather oneself and prepare for the next phase of battle is a mark of sense. Charging ahead when the battle has been lost is a mark of a fool, Commander. And if need be, I will always prefer the coward to the fool.” Rhinure rose before Cothion could answer. “As much as I enjoy these verbal duels, I have little time for them. I will pronounce judgment.’

“Before hearing my side of the story?” Cothion demanded.

Rhinure looked Cothion straight in the eye before answering unemotionally. “Yes.”

“That is unjust, Mistress,” Ehtewen was forced to say, worried at this in-fighting. The Avari must be united. Otherwise they would never survive.

“So was the Commander’s jeopardising our cause.”

“I would never … speaking to my family is my right!”

“Duty before Blood, Commander. Did you not tell me that? Would you ignore what you preached if it is inconvenient for yourself? You will not confront Arandur again. Unless he seeks you out, you will not go to him. Is that clear?”

“You cannot do that, Mistress. He is my family.”

“I can banish you from the Realm, and then even this little hope will be lost to you. Is that what you wish?”

“No – but …”

“I will not hear anything from you. You have caused me enough troubles as is it.”

“I have only served you, Mistress. Your troubles were already there. I did not cause them,” said Cothion significantly.

“But today you added to them,” Rhinure said tiredly. “Give up, Cothion. Arandur is lost to you.”

“I will not believe that, Mistress. I will save him from losing himself.”

“Maybe he is not the one who needs saving,” mused Rhinure, shaking herself to get rid of the melancholy thoughts running through her head. “You will obey, Commander.”

“Always, Mistress.”

“And, one more thing. This applies to all three of you,” Rhinure paused to look at all three members of her Council, forcing them to break eye contact first, reminding them that she was the Sacrifice and she would not bend. “If any of the Avari ask you about how they should treat the Wood-elves, and I mean any, even I, you will advise them to behave with the utmost civility. You will advise them to seek out the Wood-elves and ‘make friends’ with them if need be. Under no circumstances, shall I hear of any quarrel between Avari and Wood-elf. Is that clear?”

“You would have us tell them something we do not believe to be true or necessary?” asked Ehtewen incredulously.

“I do not care if you lie to them, only that you obey me.” Rhinure bit out. “Since all of you insist on behaving like children, I will treat you as such.”

“And what of your own behaviour?” asked Istion, stung that Rhinure would speak so to him.

Rhinure clenched her fists, digging her nails into her palms. “Pray then that this is not a situation in which the blind leads the blind.” And with that she left three stunned, and scared, Avari behind in her wake. It had been a while since they had felt the cold flame that was hidden within the core of Rhinure, and it still burned viciously. 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List