Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Visit to Imladris  by Dragon

"Should we not be met here?" Celebrian asked her mother anxiously. They had been escorted to the grandly decorated sitting room near the great hall to talk before dinner. However on arrival their host had been nowhere to be seen, and several minutes later they were still alone.

Galadriel looked up from the book that she was leafing through.

"We should but I am sure there is good reason," she paused considering what comments her daughter might come up with. Celebrian was quick to speak and although she had harmless intentions she often regretted them when repeated out of context, "It is wise to pretend that you have not noticed their absence."

"Yes Ammė," Celebrian fiddled with a rose in one of the vases. Her friends in Lorien still hadn't forgotten the 'Is that your sword?' incident.

There was the sound of running feet coming down the corridor followed by a pause as whoever it was halted some feet away. The footsteps began again, this time at a more measured and careful pace.

"Good Evening," Elrond entered with Glorfindel at his heels.

Celebrian stared at the newcomers. Both had flushed cheeks and were breathing heavily. Elrond's circlet was askew and the neck of Glorfindel's shirt was rumpled under his tunic. Surprised she opened her mouth to speak.

"Ah good evening," Galadriel cut in rapidly pretending she hadn't noticed the decidedly wet hair in rather hurried looking braids, "Shall we sit?"

They greeted the women with a nod and sat down with as much dignity as they could muster.

"And how is Lorien? It is a long time since I have set foot in the fair wood," Elrond tried to make his voice sound normal.

Celebrian let the voices in polite conversation drone on over her head. She was too busy trying to avoid giggling out loud as she watched Glorfindel wriggle uncomfortably, trying to straighten out his shirt from under his tunic.

"Celebrian," her mother's voice broke across her thoughts, the tone indicating that it was not the first time that she had been called, "Elrond was inquiring as to whether you liked the valley?"

Celebrian looked up to find Elrond looking at her, waiting on a reply.

"Oh," Celebrian flushed under the interested gaze, "I . . . er. . . yes. Very much. The river you know."

Glorfindel made a strange sounding cough and looked hard out of the window. Elrond glanced at Galadriel with a small secret smile on his lips.

"Perhaps one evening you would be so kind as to accompany me for a walk along the banks?"

"Oh yes," Celebrian flustered wishing she had mentioned the trees instead. Walking with Elrond alongside large quantities of water seemed like the perfect set up for one of her humiliating speciality shows. "I mean that would be quite delightful thank you."

Elrond sat back with a smile and a nod.

"Quite delightful," Galadriel agreed with a slightly mischievous glint in her eye. Elrond was gaping at her daughter in much the same way that Celeborn had looked at her when they had first met; "We shall look forwards to that very much."

~*~

Eventually the bells sounded for dinner. Elrond stood up and turned to his guests.

"Shall we go to dinner?"

Glorfindel coughed slightly and scratched the top of his head lightly. Elrond looked, smiled at him and turned to Celebrian, offering her his arm. Glorfindel coughed more loudly and tapped his head somewhat harder. Elrond stared at him puzzled, his mouth open. His friend had clearly finally cracked. Celebrian could hold it no longer and dissolved into giggles. Even Galadriel seemed to be slightly amused.

"Here," Celebrian stood on tiptoes to adjust the circlet into a more respectable position.

"Thank you," Elrond mumbled, his cheekbones and ears burning red.

Celebrian smiled up at him, her cheeks turning slightly pink.

"Celebrian, come let me escort you to dinner!" Glorfindel crossed the room at speed, slipping his arm through hers.

Elrond shot him a look of pure annoyance. Glorfindel raised his eyebrows grinning.

"Galadriel," Elrond tried to sound pleased, "Let me take your arm."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List