Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

All Joking Aside  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Nine - Someone for Everyone

In spite of a sore back, Pippin walked with a bounce in his step as he and Merry walked towards the quarters of their good friend Degger. His buoyant spirit was derived from recalling a conversation that he had with Merimas just before lunch. Pippin used his natural ability to persuade and encouraged Merimas to ask Paladin about escorting Pervinca.

As they came near to the room, Merry noticed his cousin’s demeanor. “What are you smiling about?”

Pippin made light of it; “Oh, nothing. I was just thinking that if I hadn’t talked to Merimas this morning, I would be the poor unfortunate escorting my sister to the party.”

Merry laughed, “Well, dear cousin, if you haven’t noticed by now, it’s a couples party, and you--a small hobbit-teen--would be seen as nothing more than an irritant midge and sent on your merry way.” He then added, “Besides, it was I who spoke with Merimas this morning.”

“Oh, indeed!” Pippin stopped in the middle of the hallway, “and what time was it that you spoke with your cousin?”

“It was just after First Breakfast,” replied Merry.

“Oh.” Pippin’s pride was deflated.

“It doesn’t matter, Pip,” Merry put his arm around Pippin’s shoulder and both began walking again. “What matters is that Merimas is no longer completely absorbed in his books. I am grateful that you took the time to talk to him. I had a feeling that my conversation alone wouldn’t have done much good.”

Merry’s comment made Pippin feel a little better. The two cousins stopped at Degger’s door and knocked. Merry admonished the teen, “Now remember what Uncle said earlier; we shouldn’t ask him to do personal favors.”

Pippin grinned, “But he said nothing about us using our own discussion to sway him!” Leave it to Pippin to find a hole in one of his father’s lectures.

“Hullo, Master Pippin…Master Merry!” Degger greeted both of his friends as he opened the door. “What can I do for you?”

“Nothing, Degger,” answered Merry, “but we thought you might like to meet up with our little group in the dining room. We’re filling up the corners with sweet cakes and tarts. Care to join us?” Merry saw the tween hesitate. “Please, Degger. I am sorry about earlier; Pip and I have learned our lesson and we won’t ask you to do that sort of thing anymore.”

Relieved, Degger stepped out into the hallway closing the door behind him. “I’m not angry or anythin’, and I’m glad Mister Paladin wasn’t angry about me askin’.”

“Why would my father be angry, Degger?” Pippin asked, “You ought to know him better than that. The only thing anyone cares about in my family is that a hobbit treats another hobbit kindly and to be honest. Whatever anyone else thinks is their loss.”

“Pippin is right,” Merry said, concurring with his cousin, “and I know just the cure for that sort of mindset.”

Degger walked warily between his friends, “and what’s that?”

“Sweet cakes and tarts with your friends, you goose egg,” said Pippin, “and the company of two very nice lasses.”

Merry gave a sharp look to Pippin. Degger stopped walking, letting the other two step a few paces in front. “What was that last part, Master Pippin?”

Pippin sighed, “Just Pippin, all right Degger?”

Merry explained further, “My cousins Mentha and Melilot have arrived for the party tomorrow. They did not heed to the ‘escort’ written on the invitations and…came without any. I have agreed to escort Mentha, but Melilot still needs one, though I would not ask you to consider being her escort after the horrors you experienced this afternoon.” Merry hoped his words were convincing enough.

Degger sheepishly put his hands in his pockets, “I…I didn’t say it was a horror. Just a bit…unnervin’.” Then he looked at the two cousins, “I don’t know if I’m up to askin’ yet another father to escort his daughter--titles or no.”

“But that’s the beauty of it,” Pippin answered. “Her father isn’t here; you would be asking Merimas.”

“As I’ve said, we’re not asking you to, Degger,” Merry replied with another look towards Pippin. “We’re only asking you to come join us for cakes, tarts, and tea.” Merry knew Degger was a little shy; all he needed was to meet the lasses and become comfortable around them.

Degger relaxed some, saying, “Well, I suppose tea and cakes would be harmless.”

When the three young friends entered the dining room Merimas immediately stood up to introduce his sisters. In turn, as their name was called, each sister stood up to greet the newcomer. He first introduced Mentha and then his youngest sister.

“This is Melilot,” said Merimas to Degger. “She’s been walking in the gardens and has asked me to give her compliments to the gardener. Melilot,” he continued, turning to his sister, “this is the gardener, Degger Greenhill.” He leaned in closer to her, “Give him your compliments yourself!”

Degger found he had to tear his eyes away from her warm face, her smile, her long, brown curls, her blue eyes… “Assistant gardener. At your service, m’ lady,” he finally said, bowing low. “I’m pleased to meet you.” He was a bit flustered when he heard the others giggling.

“She’s just Melilot, Degger, or just Mel to her friends,” said Merimas. Merimas gave Merry and Pippin a wink when Degger took his seat next to Melilot.

~ ~ ~

The following day after first breakfast, Merry and Pippin once again flanked Degger on either side as they traveled down the main hallway towards the guest quarters. None of the lads spoke; this was a significant moment for their friend.

For Degger, the door they sought loomed about fifty feet away, getting bigger and bigger with every step until the tween thought he would be consumed by it. All three lads came to a halt in front of the ominous door. He stood before the door nervously straightening out his waist coat and sleeves; no good to look untidy when conducting oneself as a gentle-hobbit. Normally, he would be already be out in the gardens enjoying the sunshine while pruning and trimming, but right now, something greater was about to happen in his life.

Merry and Pippin each solemnly shook his hand in turn, wished him good luck, and then left him there standing alone at the door. He took a deep breath, gathered his wits and knocked on the door. Then the door opened.

“Hullo, Degger!” the occupant smiled, looking at his pocket timepiece, “and you’re on time. Come in.”

The smile put Degger more at ease. “Thank you, Mister Merimas.”

Merimas chuckled as he ushered the younger tween into his sitting room. “I am not quite a ‘mister’, but I’ll take it nonetheless; in my father’s stead, if you will, as he’s not able to be here in such short notice. I’m only a couple of years older than you, Degger, though my studies and duties as an apprentice healer may say otherwise.”

Degger remained standing; he was not yet invited to sit down. “Sir, I have come to request--”

“Have a seat, Degger--please.” Never having done this before, Merimas only had the example of Paladin from his quest the day previous. He recalled how the elder hobbit had entreated him to sit on the same couch as he, and then proceeded to pour them both a cup of tea. He remembered the pleasant taste of blackberries. Merimas did his utmost, in like manner, to help the younger lad relax.

Degger swallowed hard, and then proceeded. “Sir, I would like to be your sister, Melilot’s first escort--that is, to Miss Estella Bolger’s birthday party. I don’t have an invitation, but I understand that Melilot does.” Then his brow wrinkled in thought, “Would that be allowed?”

Merimas smiled again; he liked Degger. “Yes, that would be allowed,” he answered, “and as for escorting my sister, I give you my father’s full blessing.” He saw the lad brighten, then a smile appeared on his face. “I must tell you, Degger, that there are some who will regard you as an upstart, but there are twice as many here who want to see nothing but the best come to you. I am one of the latter--and so are my friends. I deem you to be a sincere and forthright lad, Degger; qualities that are lacking in some of the more distinguished hobbits that I know. You, a member of the Smials’ staff, had the spirit to stand in front of the future Thain and boldly ask to escort his daughter to her first dance. That takes courage, Degger, and that is the sort of fellow I wish for my sister to be courted by.”

“Sir--,” he began.

Merimas, Degger--please.”

Merimas,” Degger repeated, “I don’t know much ‘bout courage or courtin’, but I do know that Melilot is a fair lass, and if she’s anythin’ like you, or my friends out there in the hallway, then she must be as beautiful on the inside as well.”

Merimas raised his eyebrows at the mention of ‘hallway’; he put his fingers to his lips then crept over to the door. Quick as a rabbit, Merimas swung open the door only to have two young hobbits fall over the threshold.

Embarrassed, Merry sheepishly looked up, “I was inspecting the door for cracks?”

Undaunted, Pippin said, “I was just plain eavesdropping.”

~ ~ ~

It was the following evening, when Paladin had his arm around his wife as they both waved off the young couples departing to Estella’s birthday party. He could hear Eglantine sniffling as the tweens disappeared around the bend in the Hill to one of the other entrances that was closer to the Bolger’s quarters.

“I’m going to go and sulk in our bedroom,” she said once they were out of their sights.

Pippin was nearby, watching his mother leave the room. Paladin stood alone peering into the darkness outside, watching the last of his little girls gracefully change into a young lady.

Paladin turned to his son. “Well, Pippin,” he said wistfully, “I still have you for a few years yet. Let’s say we lads leave lass troubles behind us and spend the evening together, you and I, over a nice game of chess?”

“I’d like that--I’ll even let you win a game.” Pippin rose up from his chair and drew close to his father, wrapping an arm around the elder hobbit.

“Oh, you will, eh?” Paladin chuckled. Together they strolled towards the sitting room where the game awaited them.

“Come to think of it, I’ve had enough of lass troubles for now, too,” Pippin stated, “at least until Tuesday. Moro Burrows is having a party, and--”

Moro? Doesn’t he have a sister?” asked Paladin, smirking, “Myrtle, isn’t it?”

Pippin blushed red, “Well…I didn’t notice, but as I was saying…”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List