Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

As the Gentle Rain  by Lindelea

For those who have not read any of the other stories in the "Thain" cycle, a little background may be helpful.

About Pimpernel Took (Pippin's sister)

Thain Paladin formed a marriage agreement with Rudivacar Bolger, Odovacar's younger brother, despite the mutual feelings between Pimpernel and Ferdibrand Took. Rudi and Nell married and removed to Bridgefields, where they lived happily and had five children together. A sixth child was expected when Rudi died of a sudden illness (probably appendicitis, though the records are rather vague). Nell lost her wits from grief and was forceably returned to the Great Smials, with her five young children, to be cared for at least until the birth of the baby. It was here she found love again with her Ferdibrand, and though it is nearly unheard of for a hobbit to remarry, Pippin and Odovacar schemed together to bring their union about.

In answer to a reader's question:

Stories written thus far involving Nell and Ferdi:

"A Pearl of Great Price"
Though this story is more about Pearl Took (and Mistress Lalia), there is quite a bit about Ferdibrand and Nell's early relationship and how it got derailed by tragedy when Ferdi was 19.

"Flames"
In this story you see, among other things, Nell's marriage to Rudi, Rudi's death, Nell's return to the Smials, and her growing relationship with Ferdibrand, culminating in their wedding.

"A Small and Passing Thing"
This is mainly the story of Fatty Bolger's recovery after being released from the Lockholes. Paladin's scheming leading to Nell's marrying Rudivacar is detailed here.

"Where the Merlin Cries" (up in draft form at ff.net)
How Ferdi nearly died at the hands of ruffians during the acquisition of the Westmarch, and how Nell helped him to find healing.

***

About Ferdibrand Took:

Ferdi is married to Pippin's sister Pimpernel. He serves as the Thain's Chancellor, though "special assistant" would be more descriptive of his duties. Basically he does whatever needs doing, or sees that someone else gets it done. He is a hero among the Tooks, having been one of those who kept the ruffians out of Tookland during the time of the Troubles under Thain Paladin. He has led a varied and exciting life, full of tragedy and triumph. In an encounter with ruffians during the acquisition of the Westmarch, he lost his sight, either due to injury or trauma, and continued blind for a dozen years before regaining his sight just before Faramir Took's wedding to Goldilocks Gamgee. He has been to Gondor once before, in the company of Faramir, Thain Peregrin's son.

***

About Rudivar Bolger (Nell and Rudivacar's eldest)

When Fredegar Bolger (aka "Fatty") was released from the Lock-holes, his health was so broken from the experience that he renounced the succession. Therefore, the family headship (the title of "The Bolger") and possessions, save Freddy's personal fortune, passed to his Uncle Rudi on his father's death. When Rudivacar died the family headship passed to his and Pimpernel's son Rudivar, although he did not inherit the title until his coming of age. Rudivar married Laurel Boffins, and at the time of this writing they have three small children, two sons and a daughter. He is a good friend of Faramir Took.

***

About Fredegar "Fatty" or "Freddy" Bolger

Fredegar Bolger, brother to Estella Brandybuck (Merry's wife), after a long convalescence following his release from the Lock-holes, married Melilot Brandybuck and retired to the quiet life on the outskirts of Budgeford. Because of his sharp wits he was often called upon to investigate and settle disputes. When King Elessar sent ships full of food to relieve a famine in the Shire during the time of Thain Peregrin I, Fredegar befriended one of the ships' captains. When this captain returned with his ship some years later, Freddy and his family, along with several other families (among them, Budgie Smallfoot and his cousin Robin, former members of Freddy's band of raiders in the time of the ruffians) sailed to the Southlands, settling in the fair land of Ithilien.

***

If you have any questions while reading the story, ask (reviews are handy for that) and I will try to add a clarifying note here!





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List