Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

StarFire  by Lindelea

Chapter 53. After the Drought, a Deluge

The Thain and Mayor and their wives were lingering over Eventides in the great room when a breathless Tolly came to the table.

 ‘You have to come, cousin,’ he said, pulling at Pippin’s arm in his excitement, all protocol for the moment forgotten.

 ‘What is it?’ Pippin said, half-rising with an apologetic look. ‘Beg pardon,’ he said, ‘but it seems there’s a matter needing my attention. Please,’ he waved Sam and Rose back to their chairs, ‘have another cup of tea. I’ll rejoin you shortly.’

Diamond caught his look and poured out more tea into the guests’ cups and then her own. Pippin nodded and smiled, then gave Tolly a significant look.

 ‘Steady on, Tolly, what’s this all about?’ he said under his breath.

Tolly was recalled to himself and he stiffened, dropping Pippin’s arm and standing at attention. ‘I... I beg your pardon, Sir,’ he said.

 ‘No harm done,’ Pippin said mildly. ‘Now, what’s this matter you’re on about?’

Tolly saw Tooks and servants poised and listening, and he cleared his throat. ‘Just a minor matter requiring your attention,’ he said, taking up Pippin’s phrase of a moment earlier. ‘If you please, Sir.’

They walked unhurriedly from the great room, Pippin nodding and smiling to various Tooks and serving hobbits. They continued at an easy pace to the Thain’s private quarters. Once inside, Tolly handed his own handkerchief to the Thain with a flourish. ‘Tie this over your mouth and nose,’ he said.

 ‘Have we had an incursion of dust?’ Pippin said. ‘Did someone not open the damper?’ He sniffed, but there was no smell of smoke on the air.

 ‘Tie it on,’ Tolly said, and led the way to the Thain’s private sleeping chamber.

Pippin’s eyebrows rose as the escort opened the wardrobe, pushed past Diamond’s gowns, and gestured to the Thain to follow.

He stepped through, feeling much as if he’d stepped into a story book, right through the back of the wardrobe and into a large, echoing cavern layered in dust.

 ‘Here,’ Ferdi said. He was holding a lamp, and Farry stood at his side, excitement on his dust-smudged little face.

Pippin stepped forward, looking at the dusty crates and boxes. ‘Storage?’ he said. ‘Looks as if this stuff’s not wanted; it hasn’t been touched in years!’

 ‘Overlooked, perhaps, but I think we can find some use for it,’ Ferdi replied, and shone the lamp into the nearest crate. A warm yellow glow resulted, and Pippin gasped.

 ‘And here,’ Ferdi said, moving the lamp to illuminate the contents of another newly opened crate nearby. There were flashes of fire in red, green, blue and white as the jewels within caught the light.

 ‘The treasure-hoard of the Thain,’ Pippin whispered, and swayed. Tolly was beside him in a moment, steadying him, laughing in wonder and delight.

Ferdi was laughing too, and Farry’s tinkling laugh joined in. ‘We found the treasure!’ he shouted, his little voice echoing in the cavernous space.

 ‘We did indeed,’ Ferdi said in satisfaction, but looking to Pippin he saw his cousin standing quite still. ‘Pippin?’

 ‘...yours,’ Pippin gasped.

He was obviously having trouble breathing, even with the precaution of covering his mouth and nose. ‘Get him out,’ Ferdi rapped, and Tolly pulled Pippin backwards into the wardrobe once more, through Diamond’s dresses, and into the sleeping chamber, where Pippin sank down upon the bed, panting for air.

 ‘Fetch Woodruff,’ Ferdi snapped, and Tolly was gone in an instant.

Farry climbed up beside his father. ‘Da?’ he pleaded. ‘Da? Please be well. We thought you’d be pleased!’

Pippin reached out to ruffle his son’s curls. ‘I’m pleased,’ he panted, fighting to even his breathing. ‘The mystery’s solved, the gold is found.’ He eyed Ferdi. ‘How does it feel to be the richest hobbit in the Shire?’

 ‘What, me?’ Ferdi said, dumbfounded. Surely Pippin was suffering the lack of air.

 ‘You found it,’ Pippin said, sounding more like himself. ‘Legendary gold belongs to the finder, you know.’

 ‘Fa... Farry found it,’ Ferdi said, stammering in his haste. ‘Which means, of course, the gold is yours!’

 ‘I cannot take it,’ Pippin said.

 ‘The gold is yours by right and tradition,’ Ferdi insisted. ‘You found it.’

 ‘You just said Farry...’ Pippin argued.

 ‘Farry’s not of age,’ Ferdi said. ‘The gold cannot belong to him; it passes to you, as his father.’

 ‘The gold belongs to the Tooks,’ Pippin said. ‘It was never Lalia’s to hide in the first place... or Ferumbras’, for that matter.’ They’d probably never know who had hidden the gold, but it hardly seemed to matter now.

 ‘It’s yours,’ Ferdi said. ‘Face the facts, Pip.’

 ‘What facts?’ Pippin said, still staring at the wardrobe.

 ‘You’re now the richest hobbit in the Shire,’ Ferdi said, and to rub it in he added, ‘richer by far than Bilbo Baggins ever was, I warrant, with his two little chests of treasure.’

 ‘I cannot...’ Pippin protested. ‘I’d feel like a thief.’

Ferdi cleared his throat significantly and bowed.  ‘Welcome to the band, cousin,’ he said.

 ‘Band?’

 ‘Ferdibrand Took, fellow thief and rebel, at your service, and your family’s,’ Ferdi said with another bow.

 ‘Rebel?’ Pippin said, eyeing his cousin as if he’d taken leave of his senses. Perhaps that latest knock on the head had done lasting damage.

 ‘Aye,’ Ferdi said complacently. ‘If you’re in need of someone to organise a resistance effort, or an outright uprising...’ he paused, ‘No, wait,’ he said, ‘the latter is rather more in your line as I recall.’

Pippin laughed. ‘Ferdi, you’re daft,’ he said.

 ‘You’re only finding that out now?’ the head of escort said. ‘I say, Pip, I thought you were quicker of wit than that.’

Healer Woodruff arrived to hear uproarious laughter coming from the Thain’s bedchamber, and slowed her pace abruptly. ‘Just what is going on?’ she demanded of Tolly as she pushed through the door, but she stopped short at the sight of Pippin and Ferdi. The two were sitting together on the bed, their arms about each other in mutual support as they were transported in another gale of breathless laughter, while little Faramir looked on in amaze at his elders’ antics.

 ‘Thain Peregrin...?’ she said, but Pippin leapt to his feet, seized her hands and began to dance a wild jig. ‘Thain Peregrin!’ she said again in outrage, and Ferdi collapsed slowly backwards upon the bed with a gasp and a moan.

Woodruff pulled free, but the head of escort was still chuckling as she bent over him, worried Thain right behind her—though Ferdi had pulled his good arm up over his head and was gasping between chuckles, ‘O—ah—my poor noggin!’

 ‘Ferdibrand Took!’ she snapped. Surely the hobbit had taken leave of his senses; the bad knock to the head had belatedly stolen his wits.

She felt Pippin’s hand on her shoulder, and turned to berate him for this state of affairs, but the words died as she looked into his face. All weariness was gone; his face was shining with merriment. ‘We found it!’ he gasped. ‘Ah, Woodruff—the first thing I’m going to do is pay you all the back wages you’re due!’

***

Tolly fetched Reginard next, and when all the uproar had calmed they debated the best way to tell the Tooks and Tooklanders.

 ‘Another convocation, do you think?’ Pippin said. He wanted to climb to the top of the Great Hill and shout the news, but while that might satisfy his feelings it probably would not be all that efficient a method. ‘Send out messengers?’

 ‘Just announce it at late supper in the great room,’ Reginard said dryly. ‘The news will spread throughout the Shire from there just as quickly as puffpenny seeds on a windy day.’

***

The great room was nearly full, for somehow the news had begun to spread already that something momentous had occurred.

Pippin could hardly eat for excitement; his eyes sparkled and he was more animated than he’d been in months, laughing and talking by turn. Mayor Sam, who’d been escorted to see the recovered treasure, smiled in satisfaction to see him so obviously recovering from the strain of the past months.

At last the Thain stood to his feet. There was no need to hush the diners; talk immediately died and every eye in the room turned to him.

Pippin grinned broadly, and saw answering grins begin to spread over the hopeful faces before him. The assembled hobbits did not know what the news was, but evidently it was good news...

 ‘I am so very pleased to inform you,’ he began. ‘So very pleased... the treasure-hoard of the Thain has been found... recovered... restored to Tookland!’

Stunned silence followed this remarkable announcement, followed by deafening cheers as the Tooks threw their serviettes into the air in wild abandon.

The noise died as abruptly into silent stares. Puzzled, Pippin swept the room with a glance and slowly turned to see what had caught everyone’s attention. He was immediately wreathed in smiles, hurrying forward to embrace the two who stood in the grand arched entrance to the great room.

 ‘Merry! Gimli!’ he cried. ‘You are just in time to join the celebration!’

 ‘So it seems,’ Merry said, while the dwarf grumbled.

 ‘And this is the way you comport yourself when you’re at home? No wonder you turned Minas Tirith on its head!’ After this mild scolding Gimli broke into an answering smile and gently embraced his old friend, who was looking less substantial than he had the last time the dwarf had seen him, but as cheerful as ever.

 ‘What brings you here? I cannot remember the last time a dwarf sat down to dine in the great room... here! Have a place set for our honoured guest!’ Pippin waved to the head server, who leapt to comply.

Gimli stood firm as a rock as Pippin tried to steer him to table. ‘First, a little matter of business,’ he rumbled. ‘I come on behalf of the King of the West, you see, as well as a few other folk.’

 ‘Strider sent you?’ Pippin said, while Merry grinned in secret delight at the surprise his cousin was about to receive.

 ‘King Elessar,’ Gimli said firmly, ‘seeing as how Men are not to pass the borders of the Shire, sent me to convey his best wishes upon your ascension to the office of Thain, and...’

 ‘Very kind of him, I’m sure,’ Pippin murmured, but the dwarf was used to hobbity interruptions and forged ahead.

 ‘And has sent a token of the great esteem and regard in which he holds you, Peregrin, as a knight of the City and Counsellor of the North-kingdom.’

 ‘Is Strider here?’ Pippin said, paying scarcely any heed to the dwarf’s words. He was ready to ride out at once to the Brandywine Bridge, to greet his old friend.

 ‘No,’ Gimli said, ‘but he plans to ride North in a year or two.’ Returning to the matter at hand, he continued, ‘And I bring greetings from Prince Faramir and Legolas of Ithilien, and Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth, as well as King Eomer of Rohan.’

 ‘Ah yes,’ Pippin said, thinking of Starfire, ‘I’ve already received King Eomer’s good wishes.’

Merry’s smile brightened as he said to himself, You don’t know the half of it, cousin! A dozen fine mares milled in the courtyard, fully Starfire’s match for quality.

 ‘In any event, let us begin with the folk of the Glittering Caverns,’ Gimli said. ‘We all chipped in to get you a little something for the occasion.’

 ‘Why, Gimli, you didn’t have to...’ Pippin began, but the dwarf gestured behind him, and two more dwarves bearing slim and elegant polished wooden boxes entered.

One stopped before Diamond with a bow and flourish; he’d met her when Pippin had travelled to the south with his wife and tiny son two years earlier. ‘Mistress Diamond,’ he said.

 ‘Borli,’ she said with a courtesy of her own. ‘Welcome to our home.’ The smiling dwarf lifted the lid of the box, revealing a magnificent necklace that shone with unearthly fire; Diamond’s smile was wiped away as she gasped in astonishment and awe.

 ‘We thought that your name jewels might be appropriate,’ Gimli said, and looking to Pippin for permission, he lifted the necklace from its velvety resting place and fastened it about Diamond’s neck. Her fingers rose unbidden to caress the sparkling jewels, and tears came to her eyes as she whispered her thanks.

 ‘And just so you would not feel left out, young Pippin,’ Gimli said, gesturing the other dwarf forward.

 ‘Berli,’ Pippin said, wondering, and the second dwarf nodded with a smile as he fingered the catch and lifted the lid.

Pippin caught his breath at the sight of the medallion, skilfully wrought in rare mithril-silver, a falcon stooping, with emeralds for eyes.

Gimli gently lifted the medallion on its chain and settled it about Pippin’s neck, stepping back to survey Thain and Mistress in satisfaction. ‘You make a proper pair,’ he said.

Another pair of dwarves entered, bearing a large cask between them, which they set upon the table after Regi hastily cleared a space.

 ‘Compliments of Legolas and his father the Wood King,’ Gimli said grandly. ‘The finest wine to be had from Dorwinion.’ Behind his hand, he added, ‘There’s a whole waggonload in the yard; this is just to give you an idea.’

Pippin nodded dumbly as another dwarf appeared, bearing a small chest. ‘From Prince Imrahil, a gift from the sea,’ Gimli announced. Since Pippin and Diamond appeared to be paralysed, he opened the lid, revealing a mound of creamy pearls.

With a stomping of heavy boots two more dwarves appeared, bearing a larger chest between them. ‘Silver, from the newly-opened mine in Ithilien, with warmest regards and compliments from Prince Faramir and his fair lady,’ Gimli informed the staring hobbits as he lifted the lid. They’d stopped along the way to take the time to polish every coin in that chest, that no hint of tarnish might mar the appearance of the gift. Ah, but he was enjoying himself. The roomful of hobbits had left their seats and were crowding round, eyes huge at the burgeoning riches.

Pippin paled and swayed, steadied by Diamond, as more booted feet sounded in the corridor.

 ‘Are ye well, lad?’ Gimli rumbled, and Pippin nodded slowly, quite overcome, but still game. ‘Take heart... this is the last of it,’ the dwarf muttered, and then he resumed his smile, to raise his voice in the final grand announcement.

 ‘And from the King and Queen of Gondor and Arnor, of all free peoples of the Western lands, I bring greetings,’ he shouted, his voice rolling through the large hall. ‘Greetings, and a token of their esteem.’

Four dwarves appeared, bearing two heavy chests. Gimli lifted each lid in turn, to reveal the golden sovereigns heaped within, Elessar’s countenance stamped upon their faces.

 ‘A token?’ Pippin whispered.

 ‘There’s more where that came from, laddie,’ Gimli muttered happily. ‘More where that came from.’

***

A/N p.s. Don't go away! There's a little more to come.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List