Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A New Reckoning  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 6

Merry’s watch had been quiet, not that he expected anything else, here in the heart of the Shire, now that Saruman’s bullies had been run off. Still, he had learned on the Quest that expectations are not always met, and so he stayed alert and wary.

Thankfully, Pip had relieved his mind to Sam. Merry had not been angry with the gardener for not remembering what might happen with Frodo, because he knew why he had forgotten. Though he and Sam were a lot alike, in one important way they were very different. Sam was more of an optimist than Merry ever could be. Sam still thought that “home” could be again what it once was. He was beginning to learn differently now, and Merry did not look forward to his friend’s disillusionment.

It was time to wake Frodo for his watch. Merry walked over to where his older cousin lay, pale and peaceful in his sleep. He crouched down and studied the fair face, so beloved from his earliest memory. He hated to wake him, and had it not been for Frodo’s stern warning, he would have simply taken his watch. But he knew that his cousin would be not only angry, but hurt, if he disregarded his wishes. He reached down and gently brushed back the dark curls. “Frodo,” he whispered.

Frodo woke instantly, alert. This was another thing that had changed because of the Ring. Frodo used to be notoriously difficult to awaken.

He sat up. “Thank you, Merry. Get some rest now.”

Merry gave him a brief hug about the shoulders, and then went to lay down next to Pippin, where he soon fell asleep.

Frodo went to sit by the dying embers of the fire and took out his pipe. He felt the familiar pangs of loneliness and loss. The old ones, the ones that had haunted him long before the Ring. The ones the Ring had tried to latch onto when it probed his weaknesses and tried to seduce him.

For him, life had changed forever with his parents’ death. The Brandywine had stolen away his connection to other people. Oh, Saradoc and Esmeralda had tried so hard, and he did love them dearly, but their efforts only reminded him of what he had lost. It was not until the day they had put that tiny little bundle of eyes and curls in his arms and said “meet your cousin Meriadoc,” that he had felt not only love, but connection. Someone who was *his*. Of course, Merry was his cousin, and not a brother, but that had never mattered. He felt as though he belonged to Merry. Later there were a few others who brought him that feeling: Bilbo, Pippin, Sam, Gandalf, Aragorn. When he thought about it, it was a pitifully short list. And even though he had developed much stronger bonds with Sam during their dark journey, nothing would change the fact that Merry was the first one who broke his loneliness, and who knew how to do that to this day.

Frodo looked up to the lightening sky. Morning would come soon, and they would be on their way.

________________________________________________________

Berilac woke to the sound of the innkeeper knocking at his door, and remembered his errand.

After dressing and eating a hurried and early first breakfast, he made his way to the Great Smials. It took him a bit of time to convince the hobbit who answered his knock at the door that it really was important that he see the Thain right away. It helped, apparently, that he was a Brandybuck.

Paladin and Eglantine were having a rare breakfast alone. All their daughters were away from home right now, along with sons-in-law and grandchildren. They were enjoying the peace and quiet, and the chance to be together. So Paladin was not a little irritated when the servant interrupted to tell him someone had arrived with an urgent message; he would have told them to wait--until it was mentioned that the message was from a Brandybuck.

The Thain and his wife looked at one another in alarm. The last urgent message from Buckland had been to tell them that their only son had vanished from the Shire. “Send him in at once,” said Paladin, looking at Eglantine’s fearful face.

Berilac came in. “Hello, Paladin, Eglantine.”

“Berilac.” This was Saradoc’s nephew. Now he was even more worried. “Is something wrong with Pippin?”

“No! No, nothing like that!” he hastened to reassure them. “There is a delegation from the kings of the South waiting at the Brandywine Bridge. Uncle Saradoc went to meet them. Merry, Pippin, Frodo and Samwise are also on their way there from Hobbiton--they left last night. Frodo thought that your presence might be needed as well.”

“Indeed,” said Paladin. “I will come with you at once.”

_______________________________________________________





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List