Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A New Reckoning  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 59

At the door of Bag End, Sam said farewell to Legolas and Gimli. They had already left Rosie at the Cotton’s and now he and Marigold were to go on down to the Gaffer’s new hole.

“I’m sorry to say, I won’t see much of you the next few days.”

“I know,” said Legolas, “that there is much preparation still to be done for your wedding.”

“Aye, lad,” put in Gimli, “we’d not expect you to dance attendance on us right now. Is there aught we can do to be of help?”

“Maybe later,” said Sam. “But tomorrow is the day for the Talk, and then from luncheon to teatime every day, I’m to be in the Cotton’s parlor with Rosie, for the well-wishers to bring the gifts.”

“Yes, Frodo explained about the gift-giving customs of hobbits. He said your people consider it bad luck to give any gift but flowers at the wedding itself,” said Gimli. “He said the rest of the gifts have to be brought to you before the wedding.”

“Samwise?” asked Legolas, “what do you mean by the Talk?”

“Oh, that’s when my old Dad and Rosie’s come together and have a bit of a chat with me about marriage. Rosie’s mum and my sister Daisy will do the same for her.”

“Sam, surely you don’t mean to tell me that your people wait until just before marriage to tell about--”

“And what’s wrong with that?” asked Gimli belligerently.

Now Elf and Hobbit stared at the Dwarf, and that bit of insight into Dwarf customs. Amazing.

“No sir, Mr. Legolas. I know the kind of thing you mean. Hobbits mostly hear that from their parents when they are young tweenagers, or maybe even older teens. No, this is where they will be telling me about what it’s like *being* married. A bit of advice, as it were, on getting along and making a go of it.” He cast a mischievous look at his sister Marigold, who was listening to the conversation. “Like what to do when you have a fight with the missus and she says ‘if you don’t know what you did wrong, then I’m not going to tell you!’.”

“Sam!” she gasped.

Legolas laughed. “I think I have heard Elven maidens say that very thing. Surely your Rosie would not say that to you!”

“Well, she never has yet, but there are some within earshot who have said just that to their intendeds.”

Marigold flounced a bit, where she sat on the pony. “Well, we had great fun making up again. You and Rosie never fight, so you’ll never have the fun of making up.”

“Aye,” said Sam, “that’s true. We’ll just have to have the fun without making ourselves miserable first, I guess. I suppose we won’t know what we’re missing out on,” he answered his sister smugly.

Legolas and Gimli both laughed, and waved farewell as Sam and his sister rode on down the Hill.

___________________________________________________

It was still dark out the following morning when Master Diggle roused his guests. He went on out to the smithy to shoe Bracegirdle’s pony, while Merry, Pippin and their prisoner had a first breakfast from the hearth: hearty porridge and dark, fresh bread their hostess had left for them.

They were just beginning to consider the advisability of a second breakfast when the smith came in to tell them the pony was ready.

Without more ado, they collected the prisoner, mounted up and headed for Tuckborough.

____________________________________________________

That morning was supposed to be the last for the assembly. Paladin, Saradoc and Frodo were a bit concerned, as Merry and Pippin had not yet arrived with Bracegirdle. If they did not show before the end of the day, they might be stuck with convening again tomorrow. But Frodo, in particular, was eager to see an end to this. He wanted to get back to Bag End and help Sam out with the wedding.

On the table at the front of the assembly were spread two copies of the King’s edict, a bottle of red ink and a couple of fresh new quills. The hobbits filed in solemnly and took their seats this morning with a minimum of talk. This was a high and historic occasion.

Targon was there, as the King’s representative, ready to sign on his behalf.

Paladin, Saradoc and Frodo stood by the table, and in his melodious voice, Frodo read aloud the edict once more, from beginning to end. When he finished, Paladin asked: “Is it the consensus of the families that we ratify the decrees of our King?”

The chorus of agreement was immediate.

Paladin called forth the witnesses: “Everard Took; Merimac Brandybuck; Ponto Baggins; Odovocar Bolger; Olo Proudfoot; Milo Burrows; Denham Banks.”

Targon signed first, for the King. Then Paladin, Saradoc and Frodo added their signatures. Finally, each witness stepped up and added his name. They repeated this for the second document.

Targon stood forth: “On behalf of His Majesty, King Elessar Telcontar, High King of Gondor and Arnor, Captain of the West, I tender his thanks. It is because of the race of the pheriannath, the Ringbearers, and their companions, that the world was freed from great evil. The Shire will forever be honored because of them.”

Frodo blushed. He had been afraid of something like this. Thank goodness this would be the end of it.

Paladin and Saradoc looked at each other. In a moment they would either dismiss the assembly for elevenses to reconvene or dismiss them altogether. Where on earth could--there was a slight stir near the entrance to the pavilion, and they looked up to see Pippin grinning at them. He nodded.

Saradoc spoke out. “Gentlehobbits, we will recess the assembly until after luncheon, when we will meet one last time to carry out the sentence on Dago Bracegirdle for collaboration with the Enemy.”

____________________________________________________

The three worthies and Targon were in discussion over Dago’s fate. Unlike the Bankses, whose offences could technically be said to be against the King of Rohan for the assault on Danulf, Dago Bracegirdle was guilty of treachery only. It was the extent of his treachery that would determine his fate, which would rest in the hand of the High King.

“If you Men were not here, he would simply be Marked and banished. But you are here, and will be able to take him away to the King,” said Paladin.

Targon nodded. “It is within the power of the King to decide how deep his treachery lay. If it is determined that he was merely a pawn, he will probably only be served with a brief term of imprisonment. Be aware, however, that he could just as easily be sentenced to execution if it is decided that he was more deeply involved than we now believe him to be.”

Saradoc and Paladin looked at each other. “We could decide not to turn him over without assurances that he will not be executed,” said Saradoc.

Frodo shook his head. “Aragorn has trusted us thus far, to see his will done. I think that now we shall have to trust him. I cannot for the life of me see him sentencing a hobbit to execution, whether it is his right or no. Dago is a greedy fool, and so is Clodio, but I do not think they knew what they were getting into with this. And I am certain that neither of them had any idea of who Saruman was.”

“However,” said Paladin, “though I believe that what Frodo tells us is true, it will not hurt to allow him to think that he could be put to death, for a while, anyway.”

_____________________________________________________

Eglantine and Pearl were on their way to see Opal. They’d not visited as often as some of the others had, but now that several of the others had left, Tina felt it important to lend their support.

They found both her sisters there with her.

“Good morning, lasses,” said Eglantine, as she bent to bestow a kiss on Opal’s brow. “How are you faring today, Opal.”

“I hurt, Cousin Tina,” she said, simply, “but that’s only to be expected.”

Eglantine felt her heart give lurch. The old Opal would probably have been screaming and crying and having a tantrum. She almost thought that might be preferable to this passive acceptance of pain. But these lasses had been remarkably subdued since their mother had been banished. She tightened her lips at the thought of Hyacinth. Primrose had brought her word that Hyacinth’s relatives had indeed taken her in, but that her status in her family was so low that she might as well have been a servant. It might be petty, but Eglantine found herself glad at the news.

“Amethyst and Garnet, I came to see if perhaps the two of you and your father would like to join the family for private dinner in our quarters tonight.” This was not an invitation that had ever been extended when Hyacinth had been there.

Opal’s sisters looked at one another. “I don’t see how we can leave her alone, Cousin Tina,” answered Amethyst.

Pearl smiled. “I thought perhaps she might enjoy my company for an evening.”

______________________________________________________

After luncheon, the assembly filed back into the pavilion one last time. Once everyone was seated, Merry and Pippin escorted Dago Bracegirdle to the front, amid a loud chorus of catcalls and boos. Targon stood at the front with Paladin, Saradoc and Frodo.

Paladin looked at him with contempt. “Dago Bracegirdle, it is the will of the assembly that you be Marked for your treachery, and then turned over to the representative of the King, that you may be taken before the King in Gondor. There he will decide your punishment for conspiring with the Enemy to despoil the Shire.”

“But--but I thought I was to be banished!”

“We have a King now,” said Frodo. “we cannot simply be pushing our criminals over the borders of the Shire to roam loose in his Kingdom and cause him further trouble.”

“Take him,” said Paladin to Targon, who nodded and led the despairing prisoner off.

Saradoc looked over at the assembled hobbits, who looked a bit subdued. “Is it the consensus of the families to dismiss the assembly?”

At this, there was a resounding shout of “Aye!”

The convocation was over, and would not be needed again until it was time to elect a new Mayor.

____________________________________________________

Merry and Pippin had finished with their task now, and headed back to the Smials in companionable silence. Suddenly they found themselves tackled by an enthusiastic whirlwind.

“Sir Pippin! You’re back!” cried Bergil. He lifted Pippin clear off the ground and swung him round.

“Oof! Easy lad,” he laughed. “I’m glad to see you too.”

______________________________________________________

É





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List